post #17191 of 32090 Old 04-21-2008, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by UxiSXRD View Post

To satisfy those of us that want PCM tracks. Or possibly to fill up the empty space on the disc. Doesn't "cost" them anything to put a PCM track and I should hope every studio does that when there's space and bandwidth enough for it.

On the other hand, why did they put a TrueHD track on the disc? Is it just so they can advertise "DOLBY TRUEHD!!" and hopefully get more buyers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17192 of 32090 Old 04-21-2008, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by UxiSXRD View Post

To satisfy those of us that want PCM tracks. Or possibly to fill up the empty space on the disc. Doesn't "cost" them anything to put a PCM track and I should hope every studio does that when there's space and bandwidth enough for it.

I imagine that not every stand alone can decode Dolby TrueHD, especially the earlier ones. I would also guess that of those that cannot decode Dolby TrueHD at least some of them have the ability to output uncompressed PCM to a HDMI 1.1 capable receiver or via analog outs.

Brandon
post #17193 of 32090 Old 04-21-2008, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbox View Post

Amazon has a June 30 release date. I couldn't get the link to work. I did some C+P

PLAYSTATION 3 Metal Gear Solid 4 Pack
Other products by Sony
Platform: PLAYSTATION 3 | ESRB Rating: Mature
Product Features

Metal Gear Solid 4 game
Dualshock 3 Controller
Voucher for free downloadable Pain game
Blu-ray player
80GB HDD

Product Details

Shipping: Currently, item can be shipped only within the U.S. and to APO/FPO addresses. For APO/FPO shipments, please check with the manufacturer regarding warranty and support issues.
ASIN: B0014WJ78E
Media: Video Game
Release Date: June 30, 2008

SonyStyle info does say this new release 80 gig still has BC and SACD..

Tony B
post #17194 of 32090 Old 04-21-2008, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [/quote] View Post

On the other hand, why did they put a TrueHD track on the disc? Is it just so they can advertise "DOLBY TRUEHD!!" and hopefully get more buyers?

The TrueHD track is also 24-bit on Spiderman 3, while the PCM track is 16-bit. (So, TrueHD was fed a "better" source and occupies less space on the disc.) Can you tell the difference? Unlikely.

Sony is migrating away from PCM to TrueHD, so consider this one a "transitional" title that tried to stay compatible with the non-TrueHD folks out there.
post #17195 of 32090 Old 04-21-2008, 05:10 PM

Perhaps this has been addressed before, but… For what ever reason, when I attempt to view this website (AVS Forum) using the web browser in my PS3, I cannot open individual threads. When I click on a thread the PS3 asks me if I want to run the plug-in, I click yes and then I’m returned to the topics page instead of the individual thread. So far this is a problem only on the AVS Forum site.

When I go other forums, DBSTalk for example, I can access any and all threads with no problem

What am I doing wrong?
post #17196 of 32090 Old 04-21-2008, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDEATON View Post

Perhaps this has been addressed before, but For what ever reason, when I attempt to view this website (AVS Forum) using the web browser in my PS3, I cannot open individual threads. When I click on a thread the PS3 asks me if I want to run the plug-in, I click yes and then I'm returned to the topics page instead of the individual thread. So far this is a problem only on the AVS Forum site.

When I go other forums, DBSTalk for example, I can access any and all threads with no problem

What am I doing wrong?

I gave up on that browser long ago, it sucks too bad to even try to use it.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
post #17197 of 32090 Old 04-21-2008, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye911 View Post

I gave up on that browser long ago, it sucks too bad to even try to use it.

I thought it was supposed to get better 2 upgrades ago? I haven't noticed it.

I sit 7 foot from my 56" TV. I have perfect vision. Yet I still find the text to be a little small. I tried to make the font bigger, but it was already on the biggest setting...
post #17198 of 32090 Old 04-21-2008, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

The Spiderman 3 disc that came with my PS3 has both TrueHD and uncompressed PCM. Why is that? Why would they include both if they are exactly the same as far sound output?

So does the movie 300. And I just tested both and the PCM track sounded better than the TRUE HD track. Let me know what you think.
post #17199 of 32090 Old 04-21-2008, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Let's not forget that it is suppose to be a computer.

Ralph
post #17200 of 32090 Old 04-21-2008, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

So does the movie 300. And I just tested both and the PCM track sounded better than the TRUE HD track. Let me know what you think.

BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure I won't be able to hear any difference myself, my system is on the lower end.
post #17201 of 32090 Old 04-21-2008, 05:47 PM

I also watched 300 saturday night. PCM souned much better than True HD . PCM was also about 5db louder. After all the talk for several months I expected something with at least a slight improvemnt.

dick
post #17202 of 32090 Old 04-21-2008, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorse4765 View Post

I also watched 300 saturday night. PCM souned much better than True HD . PCM was also about 5db louder. After all the talk for several months I expected something with at least a slight improvemnt.

dick

Did it really sound BETTER? Or was it just LOUDER?

If you used an SPL meter and matched the volume of each track, would it still sound BETTER?
post #17203 of 32090 Old 04-21-2008, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: close to Milwaukee, WI but far enough from the hood!
Quote:

Did it really sound BETTER? Or was it just LOUDER?

If you used an SPL meter and matched the volume of each track, would it still sound BETTER?

I was just going to say this Many believe louder is better. I don't mind turning the volume knob up a bit to listen to the perfection of True HD

Pat
post #17204 of 32090 Old 04-21-2008, 06:29 PM

In fact I did use the spl meter and adjusted accordingly. true HD to me sounded more muffled and less range than pcm. Also the bass was much softer than with pcm.
post #17205 of 32090 Old 04-22-2008, 12:01 AM

Thanks to all who answered my question about upconverting. That's a relief.

My next question is should I wait to get a PS3? I think the price will drop but will there be some sort of improved features or is it just a price drop? I think my POS Samsung player is acting up but I can probably hold on or buy a temp upconverting system if you all think it's worth the wait...
post #17206 of 32090 Old 04-22-2008, 01:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguedog View Post

My next question is should I wait to get a PS3? I think the price will drop but will there be some sort of improved features or is it just a price drop? I think my POS Samsung player is acting up but I can probably hold on or buy a temp upconverting system if you all think it's worth the wait...

Should you wait? Pick a day in the future, any day, and the question will still be the same: "Should I wait?" You have a choice between stopping waiting at some point and waiting for the rest of your life.

Improved features are always coming. Price drops are always coming. It's definitely worth waiting if you know there's a new feature coming that you absolutely have to have or if the lower price has been firmly announced and the date is impending. Apart from those clear cut situations it's a matter of whether you think the pleasure you get by buying now and enjoying the current model for as long as it takes for the new features to arrive or the price to drop is worth the extra price or lack of features. That's your call but whenever a new model comes out, people are going to start waiting for new features and/or a price drop.

There's never a perfect time to buy when all of the features are there and the price is at rock bottom unless the product is past it's use by date. If you want something that has all the features it's going to get and is at the lowest price it's going to get to, buy a Toshiba HD DVD player. That now meets those criteria.
post #17207 of 32090 Old 04-22-2008, 05:44 AM

Quote:

The only thing you might want to wait on is to find out what new features (if any) the new 80GB PS3 will have when released in June.
post #17208 of 32090 Old 04-22-2008, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

deleted

Red was my first love. Blu is my new wife!
HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

You can't have everything. Where would you put it? Steven Wright
post #17209 of 32090 Old 04-22-2008, 07:43 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

There is a known price drop on the 80 gig bundle (which as near as I can tell isn't even available right now). If you want to game, the 80 gig might be worth waiting until June for. The current 40 gig unit has the old Six-Axis controller, and can not play PS2 games. The 80 gig unit in June will come with the newer DualShock3 controller which brings back the rumble feature. The 80 gig unit also is able to play some (most?) PS2 games. If you're going to use the PS3 mainly as a blu-ray player, or don't care about either of these features, I say get it now.

As to the bigger "wait" question, I don't think I can give a better answer than David Aiken did. We could speculate, but that's all it would be. Will the PS3 get cheaper? Certainly. Will they add more things? Perhaps - if we look at the PS2, we'll see that they added built in IR later, made it smaller, expanded the kinds of discs it could read, made it quieter, added ethernet... etc. However - I have not seen any substantial rumors about changes in the PS3. In fact, hardware wise, it's been more of removing stuff (initial PS3 could play PS2 games because of built in hardware - next one could play some via emulation, and latest can't play them at all). I would love to see IR added, but I just don't see it happening - the initial PS2 could do IR with an add-on, the IR was just integrated later. Sony so far has been pretty resolute in their bluetooth implementation.

I would say if you can afford it now, and want it - get it. If you look at people who bought PS3s on day one and all the additinal features they now have access to, it is pretty impressive. I believe at this point that Sony will continue to add features to the PS3 via firmware, making it one of the least "oh, I should have waited" pieces of hardware out there.
post #17210 of 32090 Old 04-22-2008, 10:41 AM

>I'm sure I won't be able to hear any difference myself, my system is on the lower end.

LOL Me too! Only, my 'problem' is also one of age...and being in too many rock-n-roll bands, back in the day. It was worth it, tho,
post #17211 of 32090 Old 04-22-2008, 11:42 AM

Sorry if this has been covered but I am confused on the "preferred" audio setting for DVD.

My setup:
PS3 connected to Sony KDS-R60XBR1 via HDMI for the video.
PS3 connected to Sony STR-DG510 via Optical Digital for the audio. (looking at getting an Onkyo SR605 or SR705 in the near future).

I’ve read numerous places the preferred audio setting is bitstream when using the optical digital for the audio output. I don’t see where I can set this for DVDs.

Under Settings – DD/DVD Settings I see where to set BD/DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI). (Both BD and DVD are set here.)

Under Settings – DB/DVD Settings I see where to set BD Audio Output Format (Optical Digital) (Only BD set here - nothing about DVD setting).
post #17212 of 32090 Old 04-22-2008, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian15100 View Post

I’ve read numerous places the preferred audio setting is bitstream when using the optical digital for the audio output. I don’t see where I can set this for DVDs.

Under Settings – DD/DVD Settings I see where to set BD/DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI). (Both BD and DVD are set here.)

Under Settings – DB/DVD Settings I see where to set BD Audio Output Format (Optical Digital) (Only BD set here - nothing about DVD setting).

Brian, what is your problem? Are you not getting Dolby Digital & DTS output to your receiver from DVDs?

The later setting might also apply to DVD, but if not user configurable... it'll likely send bitstream and not decode to 2-channel PCM for DVD when using optical.
post #17213 of 32090 Old 04-22-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post

Brian, what is your problem? Are you not getting Dolby Digital & DTS output to your receiver from DVDs?

The later setting might also apply to DVD, but if not user configurable... it'll likely send bitstream and not decode to 2-channel PCM for DVD when using optical.

Thanks for the reply. I don't have a problem, just trying to understand. I am getting Dolby Digital to the receiver via optical. Just not sure why it's possible to configure audio for DVDs over HDMI and not over optical.
post #17214 of 32090 Old 04-22-2008, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the reply. I don't have a problem, just trying to understand. I am getting Dolby Digital to the receiver via optical. Just not sure why it's possible to configure audio for DVDs over HDMI and not over optical.

No idea. You did test with that 2nd option set to PCM, right? And it only impacts Blu-ray optical output, and DVD continues to bitstream?
post #17215 of 32090 Old 04-22-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:

No idea. You did test with that 2nd option set to PCM, right? And it only impacts Blu-ray optical output, and DVD continues to bitstream?

I'm going to have to do a lot more reading on this. I have no idea how to tell if the DVD "continues to bitstream". Thanks again.
post #17216 of 32090 Old 04-22-2008, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm going to have to do a lot more reading on this. I have no idea how to tell if the DVD "continues to bitstream". Thanks again.

Do you see "Dolby Digital" or "DTS" indicated on your receiver? It should "light up" somewhere. If the PS3 isn't passing DD or DTS, the PS3 would send stereo only and say "PCM" or something like that.
post #17217 of 32090 Old 04-22-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:

Do you see "Dolby Digital" or "DTS" indicated on your receiver? It should "light up" somewhere. If the PS3 isn't passing DD or DTS, the PS3 would send stereo only and say "PCM" or something like that.

The receiver displays Dolby Digital 3/2.1. Thanks.
post #17218 of 32090 Old 04-23-2008, 08:18 AM

Will the PS3 recognize an external Hard Drive connected to a USB port?. If so will it also recognize and play a ripped DVD from that external drive?
post #17219 of 32090 Old 04-23-2008, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderdea View Post

Will the PS3 recognize an external Hard Drive connected to a USB port?. If so will it also recognize and play a ripped DVD from that external drive?

FAT 32 only limited to 4gig max file size.
Streaming to the PS3 via DNLA is a better option if you have a PC or Mac.

Support The Facts - Not Opinions
post #17220 of 32090 Old 04-23-2008, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
i just installed the latest ps3 update - is there a way to set the GAME audio output to bitstream, or just the dvd/bd settings?

i have an onkyo 805 and have enjoyed being able to bitstream audio from my toshiba xa2, even if it was just so i could see what audio codec was being decoded in my receiver on its display. is there any reason NOT to select bitsreaming on the PS3 now?

thanks
oleus
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Blu Ray Players , Blu Ray Movies , Sony , Toshiba , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page