AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstone001 View Post

Thank you.

At least this will ease the cost of the PS3. Games sure have come a long way since Intellivision. I don't even understand the goal of these games, other than killing everything in sight.

I'm old.

There are plenty of games of every type, from flying to board-style strategy to sports and driving simulations that are not all about violence. I bought my PS3 primarily for Blu-ray and its media-center functionality (which has become indispensible), but I enjoy some golf or football or Gran Prix driving now and then as well. The Playstation Store is loaded with downloadable, playable demos that are free and often sufficient for a diversion in their own right.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28682 of 32090 Old 03-26-2010, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I apologize if this is a dumb question. I recently made an impulse purchase of a PS3. I can already hear my Mother's voice telling me "you're just wasting your money because you'll get bored of the games in a month." However . . .

My neighbor will buy my Samsung BD 1600. I'm assuming the PS3 Blu-Ray is every bit as good as an entry level Samsung dedicated BR?

I researched like others did ... and purchased a PS3 for my blu ray needs. And yes it beats my old Atari 2600 (I still have it somewhere).
I bought another Blu ray player to play BD disks on and what a mistake that was, I still use the PS3 alomost exclusively for BD!

Talon884
Sarasota, FL

"I find your lack of faith ... disturbing."
post #28683 of 32090 Old 03-26-2010, 07:27 PM

I bought my PS3 today off Amazon after they got them in stock finally. My question is will it require a signature when it comes to my house?

Pigeon, winged cloak of grey, In the city's hellish maw, One glance and you fly away, Your grace holds me in awe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28684 of 32090 Old 03-26-2010, 07:54 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Thank you.

At least this will ease the cost of the PS3. Games sure have come a long way since Intellivision. I don't even understand the goal of these games, other than killing everything in sight.

I'm old.

Once you connect your PS3 to the internet, you can download free demo versions of games.

The PS3 also streams media from your computer.

I use mine 90% as a BR player, but it's nice to use the other features occasionally.

I'm old too, but I still love new toys!
post #28685 of 32090 Old 03-27-2010, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod_38 View Post

I bought my PS3 today off Amazon after they got them in stock finally. My question is will it require a signature when it comes to my house?

If it was from Amazon and not another seller I think signatures are required above a certain $ point (maybe $500?). Check their website. Also, it could depend upon your relationship with UPS drivers. I frequently buy from Amazon and my local drivers know they will get a ration of sh-t if they leave a note stuck to the front door. Occured once and never again.
post #28686 of 32090 Old 03-27-2010, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Speaking of notes, you can also leave a note on your door for the driver. To UPS, please leave the package at my door.
Thanks, and sign it. I have done that and they have always taken the note and left it.
post #28687 of 32090 Old 03-27-2010, 04:29 PM

Thanks guys for the tips. The only reason why I asked was because I never order something this expensive from Amazon before. I do have a good relationship with my UPS driver.

Pigeon, winged cloak of grey, In the city's hellish maw, One glance and you fly away, Your grace holds me in awe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28688 of 32090 Old 03-28-2010, 09:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Quote:

Thanks guys for the tips. The only reason why I asked was because I never order something this expensive from Amazon before. I do have a good relationship with my UPS driver.

An earlier poster has already told you that Amazon requires a signature for purchases over a certain dollar amount. Unfortunately, I don't know what it is either. I once ordered a huge boombox, which cost nearly, but not quite, $100. When I didn't see it, although it should have arrived many days before, I called Fed Ex, who had been the carrier. Fed Ex informed me they had left it on my front porch. Obviously, I wasn't home when Fed Ex came and a thief or thieves saw the box, and took it before I ever learned it was there. Amazon immediately sent a replacement, so the glitch didn't hurt me at all. Anyway, this made clear to me that Amazon does not require a signature for purchase amounting to less than $100.

To add insult to injury, The boombox turned out to be unsatisfactory so I returned it. Do you want to talk about the transaction from hell?
post #28689 of 32090 Old 03-28-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

An earlier poster has already told you that Amazon requires a signature for purchases over a certain dollar amount. Unfortunately, I don't know what it is either. I once ordered a huge boombox, which cost nearly, but not quite, $100. When I didn't see it, although it should have arrived many days before, I called Fed Ex, who had been the carrier. Fed Ex informed me they had left it on my front porch. Obviously, I wasn't home when Fed Ex came and a thief or thieves saw the box, and took it before I ever learned it was there. Amazon immediately sent a replacement, so the glitch didn't hurt me at all. Anyway, this made clear to me that Amazon does not require a signature for purchase amounting to less than $100.

To add insult to injury, The boombox turned out to be unsatisfactory so I returned it. Do you want to talk about the transaction from hell?

Nasty minds would be quite suspicious. (Not that I am.)

Remember, when it comes to audio/video, more is always better. This does NOT apply to remotes!
post #28690 of 32090 Old 03-28-2010, 04:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsblaski View Post

Nasty minds would be quite suspicious. (Not that I am.)

I didn't steal it myself, I assure you. In fact, if you saw my record of purchases at Amazon, I think you would quickly realize how unlikely such a scenario was. Also, if there had been something nefarious in the deal, I guarantee that I would not have posted about it here.
post #28691 of 32090 Old 03-28-2010, 08:28 PM

Hey guys need some help. I purchased Toy Story 1 and 2 on Blu-ray and watched it using the PS3 on my Mits 73C9.

Right from the beginning of the movie I noticed sparkling dots constantly happening! I continued watching but it never stopped. I have never seen this from watching dvds, hd cable, games on the PS3 or 360, even blu-ray rips.

I put in Toy Story 2 and immediately the same thing. I changed the Blu-ray settings for the PS3 to most basic settings( super white off and rgb to limited) which made no difference. Next I swapped the hdmi cable with another one and same issue. I went on the tv settings and toggled 120hz mode off and on, but again no difference.

At this point I was thinking maybe the PS3 drive is failing so i put in Toy Story dvd which came with the blu-ray in the combo pack. No sparkling dots.

Right now I don't have another blu-ray player to test but anyone else have this issue?
post #28692 of 32090 Old 03-29-2010, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugabuga View Post

Hey guys need some help. I purchased Toy Story 1 and 2 on Blu-ray and watched it using the PS3 on my Mits 73C9.

Right from the beginning of the movie I noticed sparkling dots constantly happening! I continued watching but it never stopped. I have never seen this from watching dvds, hd cable, games on the PS3 or 360, even blu-ray rips.

I put in Toy Story 2 and immediately the same thing. I changed the Blu-ray settings for the PS3 to most basic settings( super white off and rgb to limited) which made no difference. Next I swapped the hdmi cable with another one and same issue. I went on the tv settings and toggled 120hz mode off and on, but again no difference.

At this point I was thinking maybe the PS3 drive is failing so i put in Toy Story dvd which came with the blu-ray in the combo pack. No sparkling dots.

Right now I don't have another blu-ray player to test but anyone else have this issue?

I have TS1 & TS2 on BD and a 73835 Mitsy and watched TS1 on BD yesterday and it was pristine. If you test another BD movie in your collection and don't see it I'd exchange the TS1 & TS2. It's weird, though, that both would be 'bad' discs.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #28693 of 32090 Old 03-29-2010, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Who has the best price for a PS3 slim these days?
post #28694 of 32090 Old 03-29-2010, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Typically it has to be close to 2k before a signature is required. If one is required it will show under special conditions when you track the package online. If a signature is required in most cases they won't leave it until they have attempted delivered at last once. After that they will accept a release note. At least this has been my experience...

| 
|
|
|
post #28695 of 32090 Old 03-29-2010, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugabuga View Post

Try some other BD discs and see what happens.

RGB should be on Limited, not Full, anyway. But I suspect the issue is a loose HDMI connection somewhere in your chain. Is the PS3's HDMI hooked directly to the TV? See if you can hold or wiggle the HDMI cable and get the sparkles to go away during those movies.

Why using other people's TV settings is a

post #28696 of 32090 Old 03-29-2010, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

Who has the best price for a PS3 slim these days?

Amazon has got them back in stock now. Both the 120GB and 250GB versions are available for their original prices. I'm not sure if anyone was giving them discounted. All I knew, was that SonyStyle had a $50 discount if you bought it with an accessory, but that promotion was quite some time back.
post #28697 of 32090 Old 03-29-2010, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zervinb View Post

Amazon has got them back in stock now. Both the 120GB and 250GB versions are available for their original prices. I'm not sure if anyone was giving them discounted. All I knew, was that SonyStyle had a $50 discount if you bought it with an accessory, but that promotion was quite some time back.

Why is it becoming very difficult to find a PS3 Slim in the store? Not including online Merchants.
post #28698 of 32090 Old 03-30-2010, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zervinb View Post

FWIW, I got a 120G version... spent 80 bucks on a 500G drive. So for $30 more, I got double the drive space (250 to 500).

Time Warner NYC (Man North Head End) - 8742HD DVR ODN 5.2.0_9

post #28699 of 32090 Old 03-30-2010, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy View Post

FWIW, I got a 120G version... spent 80 bucks on a 500G drive. So for $30 more, I got double the drive space (250 to 500).

hmm, what's the make and model# of that 500G drive you've installed in your PS3 slim?
post #28700 of 32090 Old 03-30-2010, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi, Guys i have a question.. If I want the Audio to be the most Dynamic, Loud ect for full output mode, what do I use as the Dynamic Range Control option on the PS3 as a setting ON,OFF or Auto.. Can Anyone help...Been trying to do A and B comparison and it all sounds the same ect
post #28701 of 32090 Old 03-30-2010, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy13 View Post

Hi, Guys i have a question.. If I want the Audio to be the most Dynamic, Loud ect for full output mode, what do I use as the Dynamic Range Control option on the PS3 as a setting ON,OFF or Auto.. Can Anyone help...Been trying to do A and B comparison and it all sounds the same ect

Always set DRC to off unless you are watching tv at night and dont want to wake anyone up.
post #28702 of 32090 Old 03-30-2010, 05:56 PM

Looking for your opinion. I'm ordering a new TV this week (can't wait) and I need a blu-ray player. I have a large 400+ DVD collection and I'm starting to collect BDs for the new set. So what I'm looking for advice on is how good is the PS3 for Blu-rays and up-converting DVDs? I'm also a big gamer (I have the 360 too), and currently starting a new PC build. I know it sounds like a no-brainer, but stand-alone BD players have come down quite a bit, but don't know if it would be better to go with a cheaper player (was considering the LG BD550 or even the Pioneer BDP-320), OR if the PS3 is still better PQ wise then go with that. I don't really care for any of the widgets since my PC is in the same room (the new build will be part HTPC). Also I know it's been hard to get a PS3, but the local Walmart finally got some in, they have been out of stock for a month. Any advice would help.
post #28703 of 32090 Old 03-30-2010, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encrypted Neuron View Post

Looking for your opinion. I'm ordering a new TV this week (can't wait) and I need a blu-ray player. I have a large 400+ DVD collection and I'm starting to collect BDs for the new set. So what I'm looking for advice on is how good is the PS3 for Blu-rays and up-converting DVDs? I'm also a big gamer (I have the 360 too), and currently starting a new PC build. I know it sounds like a no-brainer, but stand-alone BD players have come down quite a bit, but don't know if it would be better to go with a cheaper player (was considering the LG BD550 or even the Pioneer BDP-320), OR if the PS3 is still better PQ wise then go with that. I don't really care for any of the widgets since my PC is in the same room (the new build will be part HTPC). Also I know it's been hard to get a PS3, but the local Walmart finally got some in, they have been out of stock for a month. Any advice would help.

The PS3's upscaling is decent. If you are buying a very large display, some standalones' upconversion will be superior enough to notice. On something like a typical consumer 42" LCD, the PS3 is good enough. Blu-ray will be the same with any player.

Since there's an HTPC in the mix the PS3's media center capabilities are not so important, so I would say to base your decision on how important PS3- exclusive games are to you. Otherwise, in an all-HDMI environment, you can do as well with a cheaper standalone, like one of the Panasonics or Sonys.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #28704 of 32090 Old 03-30-2010, 07:01 PM

For the TV, I'm getting a 50" LG plasma. The HTPC will take a little time to finish, probably before summer, need to complete the HT first. For the BD player, it will be mostly for BD movies (if PS3, 70% BD movies, 30% Gaming/DVDs). If the PS3 BD playback is on par or better than most stand-alone, the gaming part would be a great bonus.
post #28705 of 32090 Old 03-30-2010, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
BD will be pretty much the same as other BD players, as long as your receiver accepts HDMI audio. The PS3 adds gaming, of course, and media server (connected to network PC) streaming capabilities. DVD upscaling is good/average, not the best but certainly not bad.

Why using other people's TV settings is a

post #28706 of 32090 Old 03-31-2010, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pochoboy View Post

hmm, what's the make and model# of that 500G drive you've installed in your PS3 slim?

Toshiba MK5055GSX @ Newegg

As with most HDDs, patience delivers the best value... if $$ is really tight, keep watching several brands, invariably one of them will get a price drop... the one I got was about 95 a week or so earlier.

Time Warner NYC (Man North Head End) - 8742HD DVR ODN 5.2.0_9

post #28707 of 32090 Old 03-31-2010, 07:14 AM

I am hoping someone has some insight on this issue. I have a PS3 slim hooked up to a Bose Lifestyle 38 System. When playing a dvd or Blu-ray. I sometimes get a pop when changing tracks or at initial startup followed by a drop in the audio for 1 to 1.5 seconds as the new track begins. If I have the pS# Slim set to PCM and not DTS or Dolby Digital then all is fine, howeer I am not getting the benefit of True Digital sound. I am using an optical line from the PS3 Slim to the Bose system. I tried changing the optical cable, a different PS3 Slim and had the same issue. From the research I did it appears that when the movie trailers are over and the movie is about to start it someitmes goes from stero to digital or vice versa which causes a break in the digital signal and than causes the pop. Same is true when jumping to a different track. You are interrupting the digital stream and starting a new one. I read a lot on line and it appears that other people are having the same issue with all sorts or receivers (not just the Bose system) when paired up with the PS3. To be honest the pop is only loud and annoying if the volume is above a certain level also it doesn't happen all the time. I can skip around between tracks sometimes for 20-30 mintues without issue. As I stated the work around is turning off Bitstream and using just PCM. With PCM I do notice the audio is not as robust as it is with bitstreaming 5.1 or DTS. Also my old PS3 that I had just replaced with this SLim was working perfectly without this Popping issue I have incountered.

ANy thoughts would be welcome. Thank you.
post #28708 of 32090 Old 03-31-2010, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyjordan View Post

howeer I am not getting the benefit of True Digital sound. I am using an optical line from the PS3 Slim to the Bose system.

If you are talking about getting hi-def sound from your PS3 - it
CAN NEVER work over Optical - It has to be HDMI.
post #28709 of 32090 Old 03-31-2010, 07:42 AM

Yes, I am using an optical line since my Bose system doesn't have an HDMI port. I was wondering is it worth leaving on PCM and letting the PS3 Slim to the decoidng and sending over the optical line to the Bose or am I degrading the signal?? Thanks.
post #28710 of 32090 Old 03-31-2010, 07:48 AM

Since the Ps3 slim only has one hdmi how are people outputting their audio to a receiver. Are they outputting the audio from the ps3 to the tv to the receiver??
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Blu Ray Players , Blu Ray Movies , Sony , Toshiba , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page