Will PS3 OR BR Player upconvert, 480i dvd to 1080P? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-04-2006, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
anybody know this? by having hdmi out it has to be 720 or 1080 by definition right? and by marketing pratice, it should play standard dvd.

how good you think it's gonna be.
It can save me an upconvert dvd player now.

Thanks,
B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-04-2006, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The BR and HD players should upconvert standard DVD's with an HDMI connection. How good that upconversion will be is anyones guess right now. We'll have to wait for some of the reviews to come out once the players are on the street. My guess is they probably won't do as good as job as the most expensive players currently available. They will probably do as good of a job as the current players in the $150-$200 range though such as the Sony N70/N90, Oppo 971, Panny S77/S97, etc.

The thing I find most interesting is that with the announcements from the studios that they will not implement the ICT flag with component connections, this means that you will be able to watch an HD movie in it's full glory but a standard DVD of the same movie will not upconvert over component. Nice logic there huh?
post #3 of 5 Old 03-04-2006, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
For Blu-ray players it is very likely that most, if not all, of them will support DVD upconversion though it is not yet known whether the PS3 will support it. Also certain Blu-ray players are already known to support DVD upconversion such as this Sony model.
post #4 of 5 Old 03-05-2006, 08:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmafightetnow
anybody know this? by having hdmi out it has to be 720 or 1080 by definition right? and by marketing pratice, it should play standard dvd.

how good you think it's gonna be.
It can save me an upconvert dvd player now.

Thanks,
B
As others have said, both BR and HD players will upscale current DVDs, so a separate upscaling player is not needed. However, it is impossible to know at this time how good a job they will do (like current upscaling players, it will undoubtedly depend on the specific model - some will be better than others, depending on the deinterlacing/scaling chip used). By the way, you can also output 480p over HDMI (and some, but not all, upscaling players can output 480i), so no, HDMI does not have to be 720p/1080.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-05-2006, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Some Blu Ray players will up scale sd dvd to 1080p, but no one knows until we see this if it will offer any improvement over current players... or if that possible improvement can be seen on smaller displays or just the biggest screens.

The Pioneer Elite player is supposed to have 480i via hdmi for outboard scalers also.
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page