No Downscaling for Sony Blu-Ray? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 03-14-2006, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I don't know if anyone else has posted this. If so, I have not found it.

"Sony’s Don Eklund, Senior Vice President for Advanced Technologies, said that all of Sony’s Blu-ray disks will be free of that digital flag that tells the player to down-rez the HD signal if there’s no HDMI cable present. Called the “image constraint token,†it threatens to lower the resolution to standard-definition quality if users try to output video in component format."

From Sound and Vision

Article

If true, I hope the HD-DVD folks follw suit. I have a Panny Plasma with only component and no boards available!

It would be nice if they finally actually have a clue.

It should be noted that this applies only to SONY films at this point:

""All of Sony's titles will come out of the analog output at full definition." He added that other studios still have the discretion to activate the token for all or individual titles."

But as Sony is one of the big studios, perhaps it will help the others to follow suit - we can hope...

For every complex problem there is an answer
that is clear, simple, and wrong.

H. L. Mencken

Galaxy Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-14-2006, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Actually there's a badly named thread below called "More on Image Constraint" on the same subject. I agree that this is absolutely huge news and is a relief to many of us. I have a 9" CRT projector that will not have to be replaced in order to have full 1080 resolution from players supporting the new formats. So I don't understand why this isn't THE subject of the year!

First, it was big that Blu-Ray players would have the capability of passing full resolution through, unless a studio specifically turned on the down-rez flag. Now, we have one of the biggest studios saying that they won't downrez to component. At this point I'd be surprised if any of the studios decide to downrez. It may be that further study revealed to the studios that the analog path is not where the pirating danger lies.

So one of the biggest concerns about hi-def DVD's has now been rendered - in my opinion - a non-issue. And nobody seems to be that excited about it. Weird.
post #3 of 15 Old 03-14-2006, 10:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I am sure it will only be for a short window....If they were on, the general public would be totally confused as to why they weren't getting a picture with their non HDMI/DVI HD TV... It'll be temporary, and then the studios will flag them.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #4 of 15 Old 03-14-2006, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't think it will be temporary. Once it's in, it's in for good. Can you imagine the outcry if they started full rez, then changed? Won't happen. The fact that Sony is making this announcement is an indication that this will be their policy from now on. Everybody's so paranoid that we don't recognize good news when it hits us in the face.
post #5 of 15 Old 03-14-2006, 11:04 AM

Liked: 10
The option is there for them to turn it on at anytime.

In about 2 years expect most titles to be protected, that's my guess.
post #6 of 15 Old 03-14-2006, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't have much to say except... w00t!!! :)

Now to look for a good quality component switcher...
post #7 of 15 Old 03-14-2006, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I know these companies are sometimes considered evil, but I don't see them saying ok, buy a player and you can see 1080 via component, and then slamming the door shut a short time later.
Maybe in a couple of years when the majority have hdcp hdmi this would change imo,but anytime any sooner and there would be mass lawsuits.
post #8 of 15 Old 03-14-2006, 11:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earz
I know these companies are sometimes considered evil, but I don't see them saying ok, buy a player and you can see 1080 via component, and then slamming the door shut a short time later.
Maybe in a couple of years when the majority have hdcp hdmi this would change imo,but anytime any sooner and there would be mass lawsuits.
AMEN to that. Its like Gospel.
post #9 of 15 Old 03-15-2006, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 129
That's awesome if true.

ROB
post #10 of 15 Old 03-15-2006, 07:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlindo
That's awesome if true.
Indeed!

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #11 of 15 Old 03-15-2006, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I would expect less than 2yrs due to pirating.
post #12 of 15 Old 03-15-2006, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Pirating won't be done just by component, so downrezzing wouldn't be effective and would just piss off the buying public. So if they aren't starting out downrezzing, it ain't going to happen later. Because of the studios' complete disregard for the rights of their customers, we tend to believe that they do stuff just to be nasty. But that's not the case. They're trying to protect their "intellectual property", just not in an intelligent way. And since I have no doubt that somebody will develop digital piracy methods almost as soon as the formats are commercially available, downrezzing component would be pretty dumb, and might even prompt Congress to prohibit it.
post #13 of 15 Old 03-15-2006, 11:37 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson
Pirating won't be done just by component, so downrezzing wouldn't be effective ... And since I have no doubt that somebody will develop digital piracy methods almost as soon as the formats are commercially available, downrezzing component would be pretty dumb, and might even prompt Congress to prohibit it.
I hope you're right, but look at DVDs. CSS has been broken for years and they still insist on activating Macrovision even though no one in their right mind would make an analog copy of a DVD. Macrovision causes plenty of headaches for people who try to use a VCR as an RF modulator, or with certain display devices like my Sony front projector.
post #14 of 15 Old 03-15-2006, 01:20 PM

I hear a lot of wishful thinking in this thread. Lawsuits? On what grounds? Read the fine print--every studio will protect themselves. Confusing the public? Look at how confusing HD sets and HD channels are to the general public. Do you think any studio releasing DVDs will care about confusing the public. I hear a lot of wishful thinking in this thread--I hope you won't be too disappointed when reality comes raining down.
post #15 of 15 Old 03-15-2006, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

This is very good news if true.
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page