Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
http://www.scee.presscentre.com/cont...2&NewsAreaID=2

Quote:
15/03/2006
PLAYSTATION®3 Launches Worldwide in Early November 2006

Tokyo, March 15, 2006 – Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) announced today that it would launch PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3) in early November 2006 in Japan, North America and Europe simultaneously. With a monthly production capacity of one million units, SCEI will push forward a powerful product launch to spread the platform rapidly throughout the world, together with a strong and attractive lineup of PS3 game titles.

PS3 incorporates the final specifications of BD (Blu-ray Disc), and with the overwhelming computing power of PS3, it enables to playback BD software at a high bit rate. With a maximum storage capacity of 50 GB (dual layer) and robust security, BD is a highly anticipated storage medium that delivers digital entertainment content such as games and movies at an unparalleled level of image quality.

PS3 is compatible with a vast lineup of television sets currently out in the market, from standard-definition TV to full high-definition TV.

Users can also connect PS3 to high-speed broadband network through Gigabit Ethernet and comfortably enjoy a wide-range of rich and exciting content and services over the network.

SCEI, together with the support and cooperation of game content creators around the world, will strongly promote the creation of a new world of computer entertainment available on PS3.

------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhdWho
North American release 2007.....unless they can do multiple regions, but they won't.
;)

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
-George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 151 Old 03-15-2006, 05:52 AM

Liked: 10
And ******** mysteriously goes silent (and even if he doesn't stay so his only retort will be further FUD).
post #93 of 151 Old 03-15-2006, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Actually what was said about the price was expect it to cost MORE THEN $425 (if he announces that price I'm guessing it will probably be somewhere between 425-499 which is still really good since I was planning on spending 600 at the minimum).

post #94 of 151 Old 03-15-2006, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milachy
Several million units will be produced on a monthly basis up until launch
(=greater number than the PS2 was produced in)

simultaneous worldwide launch Early Nov. release!!!!!!

Once released, Sony will unleash one million units per month with a total of six million units in 2006 alone. Production numbers are higher for PS1 and PS2 in their initial years.
NOT TRUE. It will be 6 million units by March 2007. Which means if we are lucky there will be 3 million units worldwide by christmas (they said 1 million a year) which means about 1 million units here in america. . . Pre-order or get in line cause here we go again.

post #95 of 151 Old 03-15-2006, 06:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teiresias
And ******** mysteriously goes silent (and even if he doesn't stay so his only retort will be further FUD).
You got it! Nothing stops him! He doesn't let pesky things like FACTS get in his way!

Go in the HD Software section where ******** and the two Microsoft employees are already trying to run wild and somehow spin this in a negative fashion anyways.

Hi-Def News thread, Merril Lynch thread...endless streams of Microsoft propoganda and spin, with ******** piling on the lies and numbers that he literally invents out of thin air. He just did it again this morning.

The lies and spin never end. :rolleyes: I wonder if these guys get paid extra bonuses by Microsoft for the time and effort they put forth in propogandizing on forums like AVS? God knows they sure spend enough time here: One wonders when they actually do any REAL work?

Speaking of FUD-meisters and liars:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhdWho
North American release 2007.....unless they can do multiple regions, but they won't.
Sorry, you're wrong once yet again. Gotta come up with something new today. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Seng
You guys are harsh with ********.
Pretty pathetic that anyone would stick up for easily one of the most notorious, serial liars on the entire forum. If you can't look at his post and thread history for about 60 seconds and get a clue...I don't know what to tell you.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #96 of 151 Old 03-15-2006, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

^ That last comment was a little uncalled for, in my oppinion. Not everyone reads all the HD forum threads.
post #97 of 151 Old 03-15-2006, 07:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issac Hunt
^ That last comment was a little uncalled for, in my oppinion. Not everyone reads all the HD forum threads.
Then it's time for them to wise up, since he posted in this area. It's not like these sub-forums are isolated islands. There's plenty of crossover.

People here that don't post over there may as well have an idea of what they're dealing with. Everyone needs to be made aware of what's going on.

It's 100 percent true, and as a regular over there, I KNOW you know that.

For the record, I continue to appreciate your efforts around here. :)

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #98 of 151 Old 03-15-2006, 07:24 AM

is that really true about the Hard drive being standard on the PS3 now or did i misread? that's quite a turn around especially considering how KK played down the relevance of a hard drive last year.

i'll be gob smacked if the PS3 sells for 425 with hard drive, bluray and hdmi support out of the box. if its true though, call me a ps3 owner.
post #99 of 151 Old 03-15-2006, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

I am not on one camp or the other but I have to say from a business perspective the PS/3 delay is huge and bad for Sony. There is no grey area. The delay gives Xbox 360 1 year advantage, delays the BluRay trojan horse, makes Sony look bad from a marketing perspective, could impact Xmas sales, and is going to kill their profit/stock projections for 2006 impacting their stock price.

I was a bit concerned when XBox 360 didnt include the HD DVD player but now, it looks like it was the smartest thing Microsoft has done in a long time. Keeping the players separate expandable and not delaying the core unit was genius. But I tell you this, HD DVD is looking more promising every day as long as titles roll out in April-June time frame. That $500 unit is a great starting price. If it can get halved by Xmas 2006, thats a winning start for HD DVD and a major jump in the DVD format war.

The Meaning of Life...Well there's nothing really special...Try to be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try to live together in peace...
post #100 of 151 Old 03-15-2006, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chap
NOT TRUE. It will be 6 million units by March 2007. Which means if we are lucky there will be 3 million units worldwide by christmas (they said 1 million a year) which means about 1 million units here in america. . . Pre-order or get in line cause here we go again.
November launch and a million in US homes by Christmas??? Not likely. I seriously doubt Sony has that sort of production capacity.
post #101 of 151 Old 03-15-2006, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobm
November launch and a million in US homes by Christmas??? Not likely. I seriously doubt Sony has that sort of production capacity.
Well I'm just going off what they say they can do. It could turn into another 360 debacle where they only have half of that, but I'll put at least that much faith in them that they can get a million units in each area by christmas.

post #102 of 151 Old 03-15-2006, 07:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Regardless of company or product...a true simulateneous worldwide launch = an easy logisitical nightmare waiting to happen.

I'm glad I'm not the guy pulling the trigger on that! ;)

I think we're going to easily see shortages as bad, if not worse, than the Xbox 360's and I think you're going to see mad price gouging on Ebay that may very well be unprecedented.

Place preorders ASAP but don't hold your breath!

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #103 of 151 Old 03-15-2006, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q of BanditZ
Regardless of company or product...a true simulateneous worldwide launch = an easy logisitical nightmare waiting to happen.

I think we're going to easily see shortages as bad, if not worse, than the Xbox 360's and I think you're going to see mad price gouging on Ebay that may very well be unprecedented.

totally agree.... and imo will also essentially give the 360/rev a free run at christmas 06 (for the masses atleast).
post #104 of 151 Old 03-15-2006, 07:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagouar
totally agree.... and imo will also essentially give the 360/rev a free run at christmas 06 (for the masses atleast).
We'll see. The plot certainly thickens... ;)

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #105 of 151 Old 03-15-2006, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Well I'm just going off what they say they can do. It could turn into another 360 debacle where they only have half of that, but I'll put at least that much faith in them that they can get a million units in each area by christmas.
Pointing out the obvious, they also "said" they could launch in May. November launch means late September production, at the latest. You can watch the PRs between now and then to see how they are sorting the protection issues.

I don't fully understand how the AACS/BD+ protection scheme is implemented, but I'm assuming it's embedded and not just simple software overlay. Does anyone have any details?
post #106 of 151 Old 03-15-2006, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Believe me, I really don't like Sony and would love to see them fall on there face, but I'm going to go off what they said for now and say that they will have about 1 million units for christmas.

1 Million or 500k, or even 250k, they are still going to be really hard to get christmas time.

post #107 of 151 Old 03-15-2006, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Welll....which report is true?

Sony is targeting a production rate of 1 milllion units a month for each market, bringing the total available units up to 6 million worldwide through November and December Kutaragi said.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060315-6385.html
post #108 of 151 Old 03-15-2006, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earz

Sony is targeting a production rate of 1 milllion units a month for each market, bringing the total available units up to 6 million worldwide through November and December Kutaragi said.

Its Fiscal year 2006 which is March 2007 for Sony not December.

post #109 of 151 Old 03-15-2006, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
If this is truly a copy protection issue, then the Samsung stand-alone Blue-ray player MUST be delayed. Yet Sony was mum on the issue and I can't find anyone speaking about the stand-alone players.

Anyone hear anything?

--SimpleTheater

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
post #110 of 151 Old 03-15-2006, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earz

Well there is the pre-release production run? I read earlier that one of the Taiwanese PS3 sub-contracted manufacturers (ASUS?), was to start PCB production in June/July this year (from a CEBIT news release, IIRC). So, it might make sense ... and both are true.
post #111 of 151 Old 03-15-2006, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater
If this is truly a copy protection issue, then the Samsung stand-alone Blue-ray player MUST be delayed. Yet Sony was mum on the issue and I can't find anyone speaking about the stand-alone players.

Anyone hear anything?

--SimpleTheater
I always assumed the Sony claim related to the lack of a HDMI 1.3 spec/qualified chipset, which apparently won't be ready until mid-summer. This would imply that the Samsung player might not be "fully featured", just as the first HD-DVD players are not "fully featured", e.g. no 1080p output.

Here's some additional info, I just found:

http://www.psxextreme.com/scripts/ps....asp?newID=138

"PS Conference: Playstation 3 (PS3) - The Rest of the Story

In addition to all of the wonderful news concerning release dates and the size of the HDD, Ken Kutaragi dropped a few more tidbits on the status of the Playstation 3:
-The PS3 will be backwards compatible with PS1/PS2 games and will be able to display most of them in high resolution (upscaled to 1080p) as well as utilizing more advanced texture filtering.

-Sony's online network is purported to be free, featuring some contributions from Gamespy Industries. Though Kutaragi was a bit cryptic concerning these matters, it is likely to feature a tiered payment system a la Xbox Live where the basic service will be available at no cost.

-The PS3 will utilize a new form of HDMI called HDMI 1.3 with 48-bit color.

-All software for the machine will come on Blu-Ray discs due to copy protection.

-Sony will be producing at least 1 million PS3 units a month until launch. Just as well, 10 million Blu-Ray discs can be manufactured on a monthly basis, each unit costing about 1000 yen.

-Final price is still not confirmed, but is supposedly "No less than 50000 yen," roughly 425 USD. This could put the US price at around $399-$449.

-Final devkits will be available in June. "
post #112 of 151 Old 03-15-2006, 08:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 59
No less than $425 could also put the price at a million $ ;)

TM

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #113 of 151 Old 03-15-2006, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilka
"-Sony will be producing at least 1 million PS3 units a month until launch. "
If stuff is still being "finalized", how can they go to production on PS3 units? If they have 5 million units ready to go in late summer (1 million produced in mid-March thru mid-August), why wait until November for launch? I'm sure some components are ready for manufacture now, or are already being manufactured (e.g., case, power supply, etc.). But I doubt that 2 million complete PS3's are going to be sitting in a warehouse by the end of May. It sounds like Sony's going to have no margin for error in their production of components such as the Blu-Ray drive, assuming that it's not currently in volume production and may not be until summer. It may be the supply of a single component, either the Cell or Blu-Ray drive, that dictates what the November PS3 supply will be.
post #114 of 151 Old 03-15-2006, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 570
Quote:

I agree... and they actually said this:

Quote:
FROM IGN:

March 14, 2006 - Ken Kutaragi, PlayStation Master and keeper of big news has announced at the PS meeting today that the PlayStation 3 will be launching in early November worldwide for the North American, Asian, and European territories.

"A completely simultaneous launch is physically impossible," Kutaragi said, "but we believe we'll be able ship to users throughout the world around this time."

Sony's production line is set to pump out one million units per month to meet demand, with a total of six million units to be produced in Fiscal Year 2006 (through March 2007) alone. Production numbers are higher for PS1 and PS2 in their initial years.
I hope that this isn't another 360, or PS2 for that matter, launch.... pre-order for me:) I am sure that we'll get hard dates and prices at E3.
post #115 of 151 Old 03-15-2006, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Its going to be another 360. Id imagine even worse as im sure more people want the PS3 for whatever reason. I love buying all hardware at launch although im not sure why I do it. The first games usually arent that great. I rarely played the 360 until recently, but I had to have it. Im sure I will do the same with the PS3.

I think the competition will be great. We will have 2nd and 3rd generation 360 games against the PS3 onslaught. This is a great time for gamers. The only bad thing is $59.99 360 games.

Andy

PS: The IGN comment makes me worried. I wonder if Sony is announcing the worldwide launch to keep MS on its toes and also shore up Blu Ray support. I wouldnt be surprised if they alter their plans slightly considering the demand will be huge. Once again this is the conspiracy theorist in me.
post #116 of 151 Old 03-15-2006, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobm
Pointing out the obvious, they also "said" they could launch in May.
They did? I thought this was just a throw away comment connected with launch in Spring (not May), and not a specially called press conference. Some statements carry more weight than others.
post #117 of 151 Old 03-15-2006, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Then it's time for them to wise up, since he posted in this area. It's not like these sub-forums are isolated islands. There's plenty of crossover.

People here that don't post over there may as well have an idea of what they're dealing with. Everyone needs to be made aware of what's going on.

It's 100 percent true, and as a regular over there, I KNOW you know that.

For the record, I continue to appreciate your efforts around here. :)
And I yours. :) I don't entirely disagree that people should educate themselves about the depth of ********'s anti-Sony rage, and his general disconnect with facts, opinions contrary to his religious fervour, and even reality. The comment to Paul just struck me as a little harsh, that's all. See ya around the board. :)
post #118 of 151 Old 03-15-2006, 11:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilka
PS Conference: Playstation 3 (PS3) - The Rest of the Story

[snip]

-The PS3 will utilize a new form of HDMI called HDMI 1.3 with 48-bit color.

[snip]

-All software for the machine will come on Blu-Ray discs due to copy protection.

-Sony will be producing at least 1 million PS3 units a month until launch. Just as well, 10 million Blu-Ray discs can be manufactured on a monthly basis, each unit costing about 1000 yen.
Does anyone have a definitive "all system go!" from Sony for HDMI 1.3 support? People there reported (correctly? incorrectly?) that KK *wants* HDMI 1.3 support, *implied* there will be HDMI 1.3 support, but the logic won't be in the pipeline in time for their BOM lockdown.

As for the 10,000,000 BD-ROMs/month, that capacity doesn't exist yet...it's planned (by DADC), and even then, those loads won't be online until the *end* of 2006 per DADC...and that assumes *nothing* goes wrong with BD-ROM QC (maybe DADC should chat with Cinram to see what kind of troubles can pop up :)).

Now, a cynic would note that BD-9 is still classified as a Blu-ray disc, so unless KK said 25GB or better BD-ROM for all PS3 games, well...you know. I just can't see why they would make a knee-jerk decision to force all PS3 games to 25GB BD-ROM at the launch, especially when developers had been prepped for 10x DVD load times...it will only add to Sony's logistical headache...it's as if they are begging for the worst tie ratio for a launch platform ever.

Alex doesn't live here anymore
post #119 of 151 Old 03-15-2006, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am not on one camp or the other but I have to say from a business perspective the PS/3 delay is huge and bad for Sony. There is no grey area. The delay gives Xbox 360 1 year advantage, delays the BluRay trojan horse, makes Sony look bad from a marketing perspective, could impact Xmas sales, and is going to kill their profit/stock projections for 2006 impacting their stock price.
I actually think this is a good thing, from both a consumer and business sense. For one thing, it gives a bit more time for the system and hardware to mature. Bugs will be there, but it isn't soundling like a rushed launch anymore. It also allows them to get manufacturing costs down by the time they start mass producing these things. They will be sold for a loss, but how much of a loss is determained by how much it costs to make them. Longer you wait, the lower the cost, the less you lose. The delay also allows adding recent tech that wouldn't have been available if they launched early, such as HDMI 1.3.

The 1 year headstart by Microsoft is negligable. Sony will sell every single PS3 they produce.

The PS3/BR trojan horse is still in full swing. The HD optical format war won't be won between now and November. By that time it will still just be getting started and Sony will have their multi-million userbase bomb ready to drop.

Impact xmas sales? Like I said, they'll sell every single one they make. If they miss that holiday launch, then there could be trouble.

All in all, there is enough in the PS3 to justify the 1 year difference from the X360.
post #120 of 151 Old 03-15-2006, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew P
PS: The IGN comment makes me worried. I wonder if Sony is announcing the worldwide launch to keep MS on its toes and also shore up Blu Ray support. I wouldnt be surprised if they alter their plans slightly considering the demand will be huge. Once again this is the conspiracy theorist in me.
Financially, SONY cannot allow MS and the 360 to have another uncontested Christmas in the US. The US is their largest market for their games division, which also happens to be one of their most profitable divisions, and slighting the US market is not a wise thing to do. They can virtually count on Japanese customer loyalty because of national pride, but they have no such guarantees here. If they miss a November launch here in the states, it will be catastrophic to their bottom line.

Joseph

The stars at night
Are big and bright
Deep in the Heart of Texas Theater!
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page