The Audio side - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-15-2006, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This post is valid for BR or HD DVD......How is the audio portion of these formats being delivered?

Will there be a "digital out" and what will it be DD/DTS or the DTS HD/ DD PLus. Obviously if its the latter our processors will need to be upgraded but if its the conventional DD/DTS then we should be OK.

The audio is supposed to be uncompressed so we should see an improvement here. I also read where the player will decode the audio so then we will have analog outputs on the players. Will these be 5.1 or 6.1. I imagine these will be connected to the analog in just like SACD /DVD audio is now but this sure makes for a lot of wires and if you only have one set of analog ins.....then how do you support 2 seperate players of BR and HD DVD and if you still want to keep SACD/DVD audio.....holy cow Batman.....

We need ONE player that does it all.....BR/HD-DVD/SACD/DVD Audio.....does/will such a beast ever exist.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-15-2006, 10:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosano
We need ONE player that does it all.....BR/HD-DVD/SACD/DVD Audio.....does/will such a beast ever exist.....
I agree with you. I think we will see it eventually (if both formats survive), but not for awhile. I'm disappointed that none of the 1st generation players have been CONFIRMED to offer SACD/DVD-A (if I'm wrong about that, please post which models will).
post #3 of 8 Old 03-15-2006, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
You might want to read this thread in the HD-DVD Player forum. It has some discussion and answers for the upcoming Toshiba players. I haven't seen any details on what the Blu-ray players will offer, but there was some discussion in these Blu-ray forums about the first players not including internal decoding but the discs having multichannel PCM sound tracks.

John S
post #4 of 8 Old 03-15-2006, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosano

The audio is supposed to be uncompressed so we should see an improvement here. I also read where the player will decode the audio so then we will have analog outputs on the players. Will these be 5.1 or 6.1. I imagine these will be connected to the analog in just like SACD /DVD audio is now but this sure makes for a lot of wires and if you only have one set of analog ins.....then how do you support 2 seperate players of BR and HD DVD and if you still want to keep SACD/DVD audio.....holy cow Batman.....

That is precisly how it will be passed until recievers are released that support the format. I suspect you will need a switcher to handle more than one device. This is why I am holding out for either one format to win or for dual format players to arrive
post #5 of 8 Old 03-15-2006, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
As I understand it, only DD TruHD will use lossless compression (MLP) the same as DVD-A. I believe there is a lossless DTS version also. Both of these will be decoded in the player so will need 7.1 analog output to your receiver/AVP until such time as a scheme is approved and put into new receivers and AVPs to decode those formats and allow a digital connection (hopefully through HDMI). Otherwise, DD+ will continue to use a lossy compression codec that is more efficient than the current DD (AC3) codec and will allow 7.1 channels. Regardless, all HD/BD discs will continue to carry the old DD 5.1 and DTS soundtracks that will allow you to use a digital connection to your current receiver/AVP.

"The truth is out there!"
post #6 of 8 Old 03-15-2006, 08:49 PM

Regular DD/DTS will be delivered through coaxial or optical out, as ususal. New formats in compressed form will require HDMI 1.3 (and receivers with corresponding decoders). But most preferred scheme will be decoding in player and then output uncompressed audio via HDMI 1.1. And the last option will be decoding in player and then output as analog 5.1 or 7.1.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-16-2006, 05:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901
As I understand it, only DD TruHD will use lossless compression (MLP) the same as DVD-A. I believe there is a lossless DTS version also. Both of these will be decoded in the player so will need 7.1 analog output to your receiver/AVP until such time as a scheme is approved and put into new receivers and AVPs to decode those formats and allow a digital connection (hopefully through HDMI). Otherwise, DD+ will continue to use a lossy compression codec that is more efficient than the current DD (AC3) codec and will allow 7.1 channels. Regardless, all HD/BD discs will continue to carry the old DD 5.1 and DTS soundtracks that will allow you to use a digital connection to your current receiver/AVP.
Yes, DTS HD will be available. I've always prefered DTS to DD.

The best thing about DTS is that it is backward AND forward compatible with all versions. Not true of Dolby.

This means that if your Audio system has a DTS 5.1 capable decoder, it can decode the 7.1 tracks (granted at 5.1 output). You can't lose.

I was on the DTS site yesterday and it even said the DTS HD will allow DTS 5.1 decoders to extract the 5.1 information from a DTS HD track. This is amazing. DD has completely different codecs and is entirely incompatible with the new DD HD tracks, so that means brand new equipment for anyone who wants to hear it over a digital connection into their Denon 3805, etc (and not use an analog cable to your amp - which I loathe!)

Furthermore, the Toshiba decks that will be shipping, can "downscale", in hardware, the newer digital audio tracks and output 5.1 over HDMI (or TOSlink?) to your existing equipment.

The BD decks may have this feature also, I haven't seen any info yet to confirm or deny this.

The future looks good!

Ahh... F1 in full HD 3D with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The
post #8 of 8 Old 03-16-2006, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901
Regardless, all HD/BD discs will continue to carry the old DD 5.1 and DTS soundtracks that will allow you to use a digital connection to your current receiver/AVP.
There's no requirement to include DD 5.1 _AND_ DTS soundtracks...

I'd imagine that the standard will likely be DD+ (or vanilla DD). Keep in mind that a DD+ soundtrack will have the old DD 5.1 track as well, to ensure backwards compatibility. So if a disc ONLY has DD+, it should play on anything that supports DD 5.1

Main screen turn on. All your base are belong to us.
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page