AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosawx
Do you have any sort of "trail" for this? I find this very interesting
Well, for one, Samsung formally announced the BD-P1000 as a 1080i/720p device at CES 2006:

http://www.samsung.com/PressCenter/P...106_0000223502

Only after CES did they decide to add 1080p support, and that came from the addition of the Genesis chip...they left the Broadcom decoder in place, as it was too late in the design game to switch to a Sigma SoC, the only other viable GA offering for a BD device.

Plus, our friends over in Poland yanked the covers off and verified the chips last week. It's all there (pics start on page 2 and keep going):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=683987&page=2

Alex doesn't live here anymore
post #213 of 222 Old 06-12-2006, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moritz

The main concern for the format itself beyond why I would buy one over the other. For any video format it needs to produce the best picture and the best sound possible. While HD-DVD does a great job, Blu-ray will most likely produce a slightly better picture. At this point I am willing to admit that this is theoretical at this point. As I have not seen both side by side yet. And for anyone with a projection system and a screen that is 100" plus. IMHO this is where Blu-ray will outshine HD-DVD. This is not to say that HD-DVD is not capible of getting good results on large projection screens.

And even if Blu-ray was to not offer DD+ or Dolby True HD. As long as it offers DTS-HD I will be happy. ;) LMAO Actually I do want to hear the new offering from Dolby but its not a must and not a selling point for me. IMHO the blu-ray players support it and it will be available.
You believe 20 GB mpeg-2 video will be better than 30GB VC-1 HD DVD? You will buy mpeg-2 BD disks and G1 BD players that will not support any of the advanced audio codecs because of future flexibility for which you will probably need to buy new hardware to take advantage of and re-released with the better codecs? All that you don't have a problem with? interesting.
post #214 of 222 Old 06-12-2006, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Audio Codex: Liner PCM, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dobly True HD, DTS and DTS-HD

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...fbluray%2eisml
Looking at the specs page from Sony on their BDP-S1

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...S1_Bluray_Disc

"Dolby® Digital Plus(Dolby® Digital audio stream only), Dolby® TrueHD (Dolby® Digital audio stream only) dts®-HD --- (dts audio stream only) Digital Out and decoding capability
Dolby® Digital and dts® 5.1channel Output "

I read that to mean the 1st gen BDP-S1 player will convert DD+ and D-HD to DD and DTS-HD to DTS. Anyone else reading this different?
post #215 of 222 Old 06-12-2006, 04:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Doesn't it mean that it can only decode the core DD or DTS of the audio stream? Not the better more advanced codec.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #216 of 222 Old 06-12-2006, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by plazman
You believe 20 GB mpeg-2 video will be better than 30GB VC-1 HD DVD? You will buy mpeg-2 BD disks and G1 BD players that will not support any of the advanced audio codecs because of future flexibility for which you will probably need to buy new hardware to take advantage of and re-released with the better codecs? All that you don't have a problem with? interesting.

Thank you , this is my point as well and lets not forget for twice the price!
post #217 of 222 Old 06-12-2006, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Interesting is one word for it....:D
post #218 of 222 Old 06-12-2006, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

All Blu-ray players will be required to support playback of MPEG-4 AVC and VC-1, in addition to MPEG-2. The main advantage of requiring two codecs to the specification is it allows greater flexibility to content providers to pack more content on a disc. This is because the newer codecs are more efficient at compressing data than the MPEG-2 codec that's used with the rewritable Blu-ray Disc format and so allow more video to be stored in the same amount of space.

So HD-DVD is not the only one using MPEG2, MPEG4 and VC-1

1080p High Definition SupporterLossless Audio Supporter Current Library: 221 DVD's / 74 HD-DVD's / 219 Blu-ray's (293 HD Titles)
post #219 of 222 Old 06-12-2006, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Which HD-DVD titles use MPEG2? And which INITIAL BD titles DON'T use it?
post #220 of 222 Old 06-12-2006, 04:47 PM

Quote:

And even if Blu-ray was to not offer DD+ or Dolby True HD. As long as it offers DTS-HD I will be happy. ;) LMAO Actually I do want to hear the new offering from Dolby but its not a must and not a selling point for me. IMHO the blu-ray players support it and it will be available.
Will the Samsung support DTS-HD and 1080p? Or are you referring to the more expensive players coming down the pike? At what stage are you expecting BD to start looking better than HD?
post #221 of 222 Old 06-12-2006, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Actually my post should have read - So HD-DVD is not the only one supporting MPEG2, MPEG4 and VC-1.

HD-DVD may not use MPEG2 but the machine support it. Just like Blu-ray supports it. I cant say I like the fact that some of the first titles will be using MPEG2 but it will be worth it with MPEG4 titles coming out soon.

Quote:
At what stage are you expecting BD to start looking better than HD?
When you say looking better than HD I am assuming you ment HD-DVD. Blu-ray may or may not look just as good with MPEG2 as HD-DVD. I would exspect Blu-ray to have the edge when you compair MPEG4 Blu-ray to MPEG4 HD-DVD. The differences may only be slight but I still feel Blu-ray offers the better HD solution as a overall format.

I did not have a problem with HD-DVD as a format I only had a problem with the player that had problems. I chose Blu-ray over HD-DVD because of player problems and because I still feel Blu-ray has more flexability to grow in the future than HD-DVD does.

If Blu-ray fails I will be back in the store buying up Blu-ray titles and buying an HD-DVD player. And then moving over to HD-DVD, only if Blu-ray fails.

1080p High Definition SupporterLossless Audio Supporter Current Library: 221 DVD's / 74 HD-DVD's / 219 Blu-ray's (293 HD Titles)
post #222 of 222 Old 06-13-2006, 08:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR
Which HD-DVD titles use MPEG2?
A View From Space With Heavenly Music is entirely compressed with MPEG2, and is said to be the worst-looking of the HD DVDs released so far (though that may have more to do with poor authoring by the studio than with MPEG2 itself, per se). Also the bonus features on all of the available HD DVDs are encoded with MPEG2.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page