Sony anounces 1080p BDP-S1 player - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-17-2006, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It seems Sony announced Blue Ray BDP-S1 player available in summer for 1k. Player will support 1080p using HDMI and 1080i over, believe it or not, component outputs. It looks like all the DRM protection they put in new system won't matter much if nobody will buy the players so are we getting sweatening of HD deal just to get hooked? And since new player will support 1080p, hopefully the argument that " you don't need 1080p TV since there is no 1080p source available" will die of natural causes soon thereafter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-17-2006, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete4
I And since new player will support 1080p, hopefully the argument that " you don't need 1080p TV since there is no 1080p source available" will die of natural causes soon thereafter.

HAHAHAH, are you serious?

How long has BluRay been coming out for? Its been at least 3 years now and probably longer, but I can’t rely on my memory. While I think we will see it this year I don't think that we are going to have a flawless transition into 1080p nirvana. Especially since we can't even get the problems with HDMI straight and that’s the only means by which the DVD players will deliver 1080p.

I find it funny that Sony is releasing the DVD player with 1080p, but pushing back the Playstation III while citing issues relative to BluRay.

Anyway, I don't mean to sound like a pessimist, but the stars really do need to align just right for any real hope for 1080p this year. The good news is that Verizon is pushing the envelope with the FIOS technology. In my opinion, if there is something to get excited about, FIOS is it.

One other personal comment... I wouldn't buy a 1080p plasma until you have a chance to see one in person (real world pplication). That's a whole lot of pixels to light up and its going to be a surprise if the panels perform up to par in the contrast/brightness area.

That's just my two cents, but I will be the first to admit that I don't know my head from my A$$ when it comes to this stuff. On the flip side, I do know what looks good to me when I see it :)
post #3 of 7 Old 03-17-2006, 06:33 AM

Liked: 12
So for $1000 I can buy a 1080p player and feed it with 480i DVDs? I believe I will pass on this opportunity...
post #4 of 7 Old 03-17-2006, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

The Demo we saw in Vegas this week was very compelling in terms of picture quality. The Ruby looked fabulous fed by native 1080p. Any larger screen customer is going to want this kind of source material!
post #5 of 7 Old 03-17-2006, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There was speculation that delay of PS3 has more to do with games availability than reasons provided by Sony. But main point is:
it seems like companies are backing out of this drakonian DRM protections at least for now. I guess the new formats feel weak and need consumer support more than ever, it also looks like DRM will be fully enforced in the future, once the format gets hold in the market.
BTW FYI 1080p is not some kind of nirvana, it's just the best quality HD format available now. Video used to be simple, you had one format and everybody was equal. Now you have whole bunch of formats: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p and you need to make choices which one is good enough for me.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-17-2006, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete4
BTW FYI 1080p is not some kind of nirvana, it's just the best quality HD format available now.
I am sorry, I guess I rambled on in my post. Let me be more clear... 1080p is NOT avialable now (source). The claim is that it will be very soon, but that is not a new claim.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-21-2006, 03:10 PM

I think I'll wait for prices to drop a bit hehehe. Thats a bit steap for now, but all new things usually are.
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page