Blu-ray not getting any cheaper - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
post #151 of 158 Old 05-04-2006, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
QuadESL63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,069
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy
Plus, who here actually believes that we'll be awash with PS3s on every store's shelves in December?
Sony (or its OEM partners) has started the production cycle, or at least they are ramping up for it at the moment. The telecomm company that I work has problem getting the ASIC suppliers to make new chips for us. Reason: Sony is eating up the ASIC supply for the PS3! :D That right! PS3! We have to postpone new H/W development projects because of that (or, use the more expensive FPGA). They may be able to pull this one better than M$ ;)
QuadESL63 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #152 of 158 Old 05-04-2006, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
raaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Near the lovely City by the Bay
Posts: 2,779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadESL63
Sony (or its OEM partners) has started the production cycle, or at least they are ramping up for it at the moment. The telecomm company that I work has problem getting the ASIC suppliers to make new chips for us. Reason: Sony is eating up the ASIC supply for the PS3! :D That right! PS3! We have to postpone new H/W development projects because of that (or, use the more expensive FPGA). They may be able to pull this one better than M$ ;)
Hehe.. on the other hand, Ken Kutaragi is going around telling that Final Dev Kits for the PS3 would hit the dev houses by June.

EDIT: Source: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/696/696058p1.html

So, if the production of the final hardware/software revision is already set, why are the final developer kits not at the developers already?

We all know Ken is coo-coo in the head, but come on !! :D
raaj is online now  
post #153 of 158 Old 05-04-2006, 07:16 PM
Senior Member
 
longfellowfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: City of St. Louis, MO
Posts: 381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Beta,mini desk,and SACD. Do I need to say more.
longfellowfan is offline  
post #154 of 158 Old 05-04-2006, 10:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Doom4420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quadesl65, since Sony is the main developer of blu-ray drives, even though of course I don't know this as a fact, count on them cutting costs to get the blu-ray drive in the PS3.

Their cost on the hardware has to be seriously high. With the cell processor, high end Nvidia chip set, all the different connections, wireless controllers, they have to cut costs somewhere. They have done it on both of their previous playstations. For example, the PS2 was known not to have enough video ram, and of course the dvd drive as I already pointed out.

Sony always uses custom developed chipsets and parts for its game systems, and it drives up the costs.

I understand what you said regarding the fact that there are not a wide variety of blu-ray drives out there, but it's Sony. I think that they have the ability to manufacture a drive unique to the PS3, and my bet is that it isn't up to the quality of their blu ray drive in the BDP-S1. I guess all I'm trying to point out to all of those here planning on using the PS3 as their Blu-ray player is to look at Sony's history regarding the components they have put in the PS1 and PS2. They were not up to snuff. I was just recommending that people use caution with this idea.

Blu-Ray and HD-DVD supporter.
Doom4420 is offline  
post #155 of 158 Old 05-05-2006, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
QuadESL63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,069
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj
Hehe.. on the other hand, Ken Kutaragi is going around telling that Final Dev Kits for the PS3 would hit the dev houses by June.

EDIT: Source: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/696/696058p1.html

So, if the production of the final hardware/software revision is already set, why are the final developer kits not at the developers already?

We all know Ken is coo-coo in the head, but come on !! :D
That's what I have heard from a co-worker who has just talked to our ASIC suppliers. May be Sony has just reserved the manufacturing capacity for the ASIC at the moment, not really making it. They are ramping up for sure :D
QuadESL63 is offline  
post #156 of 158 Old 05-05-2006, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
QuadESL63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,069
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom4420
Quadesl65, since Sony is the main developer of blu-ray drives, even though of course I don't know this as a fact, count on them cutting costs to get the blu-ray drive in the PS3.

Their cost on the hardware has to be seriously high. With the cell processor, high end Nvidia chip set, all the different connections, wireless controllers, they have to cut costs somewhere. They have done it on both of their previous playstations. For example, the PS2 was known not to have enough video ram, and of course the dvd drive as I already pointed out.

Sony always uses custom developed chipsets and parts for its game systems, and it drives up the costs.

I understand what you said regarding the fact that there are not a wide variety of blu-ray drives out there, but it's Sony. I think that they have the ability to manufacture a drive unique to the PS3, and my bet is that it isn't up to the quality of their blu ray drive in the BDP-S1. I guess all I'm trying to point out to all of those here planning on using the PS3 as their Blu-ray player is to look at Sony's history regarding the components they have put in the PS1 and PS2. They were not up to snuff. I was just recommending that people use caution with this idea.
It is not easy to cut cost at the start of a technology introduction. As I have said I work for a telecomm equipments company and it is unusual to make cost cutting measure in the 1st gen products. It is still too early for Blu-Ray yet (i.e. there is no really cheap BLu-Ray ROM drive, etc). Even for PS2 they take years to come out of the "slim" version - which is a cost cutting exercise. Of course, since Sony is responsible to draw up the spec and they have been making Blu-Ray recorder for their Japan market for a couple of years they may be ready to make the call. Also, they may under-spec. the thing, as you have said, to keep cost down. Not to mention they can cut cost in quality control (e.g. all the dead pixels on PSP LCD screen).

I have 2 PS2s (4th and 12th versions) and yes they are not for playing DVD movies. I'm well aware of the fact that it may or may not be a good Blu-Ray player. However, since they do want to shift the paradigm a little bit and market this not only as a game console but also a multimedia hub/set-top box they may as well make it a good Blu-Ray player. Time will tell.
QuadESL63 is offline  
post #157 of 158 Old 05-05-2006, 07:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Doom4420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I have 2 PS2s (4th and 12th versions) and yes they are not for playing DVD movies. I'm well aware of the fact that it may or may not be a good Blu-Ray player. However, since they do want to shift the paradigm a little bit and market this not only as a game console but also a multimedia hub/set-top box they may as well make it a good Blu-Ray player. Time will tell.
I totally agree with you there. I don't want people here to think I'm against Sony, Blu-ray, or whatever. In fact, I hope the PS3 works well as a Blu-ray player. I'm just not too optimistic about it working great as a main Blu-ray player. Like you said, we will see!! :)

Blu-Ray and HD-DVD supporter.
Doom4420 is offline  
post #158 of 158 Old 05-05-2006, 10:48 AM
Senior Member
 
chris062's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Evanston, WY
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earz
500.00 buys you core DTS only....never ... will you get DTS-HD...and only DD Tru-HD in 2 channel.
This means it will need to be upgraded to the next gen...which still may not have 1080p.
I think most of the purchasers that care about the audio issues will be upgrading their player in a year or so anyway. The early adopters of HD-DVD are either AVS type people or average joe's that won't realize what they are missing out on. The AVSers will have both HD-DVD and BD and upgrade every year or two. :)
chris062 is offline  
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off