Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 185 Old 06-07-2006, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanosVog
Some impressions from what we have seen already. Forgive me for any mistakes in the text, I have told already that my English are not perfect.

The setup of the presentation today was the Samsung BDP-1000, Crystallio II scaler and Projection Design Model III DLP1080. We saw several times the trailer of Samsung that was send with the bluray player. The trailer is called “The wonderful earthâ€, is only 6 minutes and 20 seconds and has only bright or very bright scenes of landscapes. It is video content of High Definition cameras, there is not any film material in the demo bluray disk. The same content exactly is on a standard NTSC dvd, so it’s easy to make the comparisons.

Some of the 100% conclusions: 1. Samsung bluray player boots up very fast, when you press the on button in 5-6 seconds the player is ready to accept the disk. When you insert the bluray demo of Samsung, it needs 14-15 seconds to recognize it and starts to play it. When the player is off and the demo bluray disk is inside the player, it needs total time 20-21 seconds to start playing it.

2. There are no below black or above white information issues with the Samsung. With the DVE professional NTSC disk of the setup patterns, the player normally displayed below black and above white information on the Projection Design Model III DLP1080.

Other conclusions (till now): We didn’t manage to activate 1080p signal through HDMI output. I have to say that we tried it till now only with the Crystallio II scaler, and propably the scaler cannot accept 1080p signals, or we don’t know yet how to make this work. Both Projection Design Model III projector and Crystallio II scaler are brand new for Greece, and we have a lot of things to know about them. The scaler normally accepted 1080i signal from Samsung, as you can see in one screenshot. In the same screenshot you can see that the option 1080p in the menu is black, that means that you cannot activate it.

Samsung normally upscaled to 1080i (not 1080p) through HDMI output standard NTSC and superbit dvds as Fifth Element, etc.

I will not make any specific comments on the picture quality yet, I need to organize my thoughts, also I had to leave early from the presentation, while other people still continued the tests and adjustments. It’s too early, and we need to see more samples, but I believe that I have seen at least equal (if not slightly better) picture quality from D-Theater and video content from High Definition cameras.
Thanks for the update!

I was mainly interested in the start-up time. So from OFF--> picture on screen, if the Samsung is 20 seconds, that's 1 minute better than my XA-1 (after firmware)!

You have also confirmed that there are no obvious picture limitations or any bugs in the product such as lock-ups or audio drop-outs. Anyone knows a place that will ship on June 25th in the states ?

At this point I don't really care about upconverting since the XA-1 does that well, only BD playback.

I'll be looking forward to additional feedback from this...

Just curious, why would you connect the player to a scaler to test video performance of the player?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 185 Old 06-07-2006, 12:56 PM

Some more photos.
LL
LL
LL
post #93 of 185 Old 06-07-2006, 01:06 PM

Well, we considered that is better to presentate these two hot stuff products together. Also we will not have another opportunity to see Projection Design Model III in the near future, you see the customer will take him away tommorow!

I forgot to mention that we didnt test at all till now the component output of Samsung, it is something to be done the next few days.
LL
post #94 of 185 Old 06-07-2006, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Well, we considered that is better to presentate these two “hot stuff†products together. Also we will not have another opportunity to see Projection Design Model III in the near future, you see the customer will take him away tommorow!

I forgot to mention that we didn’t test at all till now the component output of Samsung, it is something to be done the next few days.
Thanks! So you do plan to test the player without the scaler then?

My other questions are:

1. Are load times similar for both BD and SD DVD?

2. What is the bit rate that the Samsung demo encoded in? Is it mpeg-2 or VC-1?

3. How is the general responsiveness of the player to the remote.

Thanks again...
post #95 of 185 Old 06-07-2006, 02:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Great stuff, keep it coming!

We're you able to test load times with any AACS software (like one of the Sony Hitch BD-ROMs that have been circulated to the press)?

Alex doesn't live here anymore
post #96 of 185 Old 06-07-2006, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for your hard work and insightful posts, Panosvog!
post #97 of 185 Old 06-07-2006, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Anyone knows a place that will ship on June 25th in the states ?

Circuit City still has it listed as 6/25, and they charged my CC account already, so who knows?
post #98 of 185 Old 06-07-2006, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Sutliff
Circuit City still has it listed as 6/25, and they charged my CC account already, so who knows?
I stopped by their store and they would not commit. If CC.com will ship on 6/25 I'll go that route...
post #99 of 185 Old 06-07-2006, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plazman
Thanks! So you do plan to test the player without the scaler then?

My other questions are:

1. Are load times similar for both BD and SD DVD?

2. What is the bit rate that the Samsung demo encoded in? Is it mpeg-2 or VC-1?

3. How is the general responsiveness of the player to the remote.

Thanks again...

Hi plazman, I really don’t know what is going to happen the next days. You realize that everyone “crazy with picture quality†in Greece, will press in every way he can to have the Samsung for tests and evaluations. Especially between dedicated shops of audio and video will be a “real warâ€! The Samsung of the presentation is property of the greek magazine “Audio & Videoâ€, so the magazine will deside where and for how long, will give the player. What is important for me, is to have more and more information for the player, I really don’t care who will give the information. So:

1. I payed attention only on the sample bluray disk of Samsung, I didn’t keep any time for standard dvds, but I beleive that aren’t big differences, the player is fast.
2. I have no idea, we had the Samsung in our hands only three hours before the presentation!
3. Very good, I had the remote of Samsung in my hands most of the time, the responsivness was very good. The sample video of Samsung was very small, but had chapters, I beleive that the player needed less than 1 second from chapter to chapter.
post #100 of 185 Old 06-07-2006, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amillians
Great stuff, keep it coming!

We're you able to test load times with any AACS software (like one of the Sony Hitch BD-ROMs that have been circulated to the press)?

Unfortunately no, we were told that we would have and one sample bluray disk from Sony, but in the end we had only the sample disk from Samsung, nothing else.

You know, I was hoping till the last minute that the administrator of the forum would “make his miracle†and we would have in our hands bluray titles, but finally we didn’t have this luck! Anyway, he still says that he will have the bluray titles in 15th of June, let just wait and see! ;)
post #101 of 185 Old 06-07-2006, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo Moran
Josh,

How many Polish friends does it take to translate one set of text? :)
Typical racist stupid joke.
post #102 of 185 Old 06-07-2006, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKNA
Typical racist stupid joke.
Since when are Pol's a race?
post #103 of 185 Old 06-07-2006, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.greenway
Since when are Pol's a race?
Never mind. I deleted my post.
post #104 of 185 Old 06-07-2006, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901
:confused: Since when did Poland become the high definition TV center of the universe?

It did not. There is HD in Poland at all unless they receive Euro1080 or German channels.

This player is clearly US model. Blu-Ray will not go on sale in Europe at least until 2007 or later.
post #105 of 185 Old 06-07-2006, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
[quote=PanosVog]
We didn’t manage to activate 1080p signal through HDMI output. I have to say that we tried it till now only with the Crystallio II scaler, and propably the scaler cannot accept 1080p signals..../QUOTE]

Just for the record, the CII does accept 1080p (and of course will output 1080p). Can you adjust the players output or is it automatic based on the material? If auto, perhaps the "video" based material you had on the demo was forcing 1080i.
post #106 of 185 Old 06-08-2006, 02:15 AM

[quote=JlgLaw]
Quote:
We didn’t manage to activate 1080p signal through HDMI output. I have to say that we tried it till now only with the Crystallio II scaler, and propably the scaler cannot accept 1080p signals..../QUOTE]

Just for the record, the CII does accept 1080p (and of course will output 1080p). Can you adjust the players output or is it automatic based on the material? If auto, perhaps the "video" based material you had on the demo was forcing 1080i.

I am not sure, as I said before we did everything under big pressure of time. The only things that we tried, were 1080i through HDMI (we couldn’t activate 1080p) with the sample bluray disk of Samsung and 1080i/480p through HDMI (again, we couldn’t activate 1080p) with standard/superbits NTSC dvds. In the second case we wanted to see how good is the scaler of Samsung compared with Crystalio II.

Unfortunately, I have bad news. The player is leaving for unknown destination, but I will try to keep you informed through this thread, with every information which I will learn, especially from the administrator of the forum who knows everybody for audio and video issues in Greece.

Other details from the remote of Samsung: it has fast rewind and backwards with speeds 1 and 2 (propably it has more speeds, didn’t try it) and a play/pause button which change a frame every time you press it.

During all the tests the Samsung had a perfect behavor, with no lock ups or freezing picture. The only “strange†thing that I noticed, were something instant flashes of brightness on the screen when we were changing the menus of standard/superbits NTSC dvds (never when the movie was playing). I mean that when I was selecting with the remote one menu on a standard/superbit dvd, there was always an instant flash of brightness on the screen.

In this link you can see more photos from the presentation.
www.avsite.gr/smf/index.php?topic=12032.0
post #107 of 185 Old 06-08-2006, 05:26 AM

[quote=PanosVog]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JlgLaw

I am not sure, as I said before we did everything under big pressure of time. The only things that we tried, were 1080i through HDMI (we couldn’t activate 1080p) with the sample bluray disk of Samsung and 1080i/480p through HDMI (again, we couldn’t activate 1080p) with standard/superbits NTSC dvds. In the second case we wanted to see how good is the scaler of Samsung compared with Crystalio II.

Unfortunately, I have bad news. The player is leaving for unknown destination, but I will try to keep you informed through this thread, with every information which I will learn, especially from the administrator of the forum who knows everybody for audio and video issues in Greece.

Other details from the remote of Samsung: it has fast rewind and backwards with speeds 1 and 2 (propably it has more speeds, didn’t try it) and a play/pause button which change a frame every time you press it.

During all the tests the Samsung had a perfect behavor, with no lock ups or freezing picture. The only “strange†thing that I noticed, were something instant flashes of brightness on the screen when we were changing the menus of standard/superbits NTSC dvds (never when the movie was playing). I mean that when I was selecting with the remote one menu on a standard/superbit dvd, there was always an instant flash of brightness on the screen.

hmmm...that would mean the demo was encoded in 1080i and not 1080p.
post #108 of 185 Old 06-08-2006, 05:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Thanks, but it's all Greek to me! :)

If the Samsung BD demo disc was the one sitting on top of the unit in one of the shots (white disc), it looks like it's a SL BD-RE, not a BD-ROM. Is this correct?

Alex doesn't live here anymore
post #109 of 185 Old 06-08-2006, 05:31 AM

[quote=PanosVog]
Quote:

Thanks for the insights. I was curious to know if you've had a chance to look at either of the Toshiba HD DVD players and compared your experience between the two products (Toshiba v. Samsung)...from what you say the Samsung is fast, stable and well built. With excellent audio and video. You saw no problems at all. Right?
post #110 of 185 Old 06-08-2006, 06:56 AM

Hello from Greece,

I am the moderator of www.avsite.gr and i like to tell some things about our test. I know it's all Greek to you so i will try to give you our member's thoughts about those 2 machines. But as our members still writing their thoughts i will do that later... maybe tomorrow.

What we did:

We connected the Samsung Blu-ray with the new crystallio through hdmi at 1080i. Crystallio fed projectdesign dlp projector with 1080p. We tested the machines using the blu-ray demo disc that Samsung has but i believe that if we could use a commercial blu-ray disc i believe that the picture would be much better...

Afterwards we tested using superbit dvd and also commercial dvd's. Picture was very good!

Picture was also impressive when we use Sat HDTV connecting crystalio with the Humax 2000 hd sat decoder through component!

Unfortunatelly we haven't got the time to calibrate better the system (crystallio and the projector)... I believe we saw about 80% of the best possible image quality...

I will update with our members thoughts...
post #111 of 185 Old 06-08-2006, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=plazman]
Quote:

hmmm...that would mean the demo was encoded in 1080i and not 1080p.
That's what I was thinking. I believe had it been 1080p they could have set it up to pass thru without CII touching it (deinterlacing).

PanosVog and akrato,
Thanks very much for taking the time to share your experience!

Jim
post #112 of 185 Old 06-08-2006, 12:36 PM

[quote=JlgLaw]
Quote:

That's what I was thinking. I believe had it been 1080p they could have set it up to pass thru without CII touching it (deinterlacing).

PanosVog and akrato,
Thanks very much for taking the time to share your experience!

Jim
Looks like the Samsung is not going to be available in the US (DC area for sure) on 6/25. I'm not being told end July to mid August!

After the glowing reviews from Poland and Greece, I'm wondering what the delay could be attributed to. Perhaps I am jumping the gun and it will ship on 6/25 as planned....
post #113 of 185 Old 06-08-2006, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I guess we'll see!

On a different note....I've been wondering how these guys (no offense intended) got BOTH, the Samsung BD AND the CII? Other than the one (CII 3300 IIRC) Alan got from Nelson, neither of these have made it into the U.S. but they did make it to Poland!
(Again, no offense intended, I'm sure they were very happy to get to play with both. :) )

Jim
post #114 of 185 Old 06-08-2006, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I guess we'll see!

On a different note....I've been wondering how these guys (no offense intended) got BOTH, the Samsung BD AND the CII? Other than the one (CII 3300 IIRC) Alan got from Nelson, neither of these have made it into the U.S. but they did make it to Poland!
(Again, no offense intended, I'm sure they were very happy to get to play with both. :) )

Jim
Made it to Greece you mean. ;)
post #115 of 185 Old 06-08-2006, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Oops! Thanks for pointing that out. :o

My point was more about us (U.S.) not yet getting either product while there seems to be no problem distributing EVERYWHERE ELSE!! (just kidding :) )

Jim
post #116 of 185 Old 06-09-2006, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

FYI, Samsung confirms 6/25 US and 6/30 CA dates.

http://www.bluraylive.com/_forum/viewtopic.php?t=12
post #117 of 185 Old 06-09-2006, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amillians
Thanks, but it's all Greek to me! :)

If the Samsung BD demo disc was the one sitting on top of the unit in one of the shots (white disc), it looks like it's a SL BD-RE, not a BD-ROM. Is this correct?

The demo bluray disk of Samsung has the logo “FBP†on it, each letter with different colour, so you could recognize it, I think that the polish posted a photo of the bluray demo.
post #118 of 185 Old 06-09-2006, 06:32 AM

[quote=plazman]
Quote:

Thanks for the insights. I was curious to know if you've had a chance to look at either of the Toshiba HD DVD players and compared your experience between the two products (Toshiba v. Samsung)...from what you say the Samsung is fast, stable and well built. With excellent audio and video. You saw no problems at all. Right?

Hi Plazman. I don’t know nothing about the audio of Samsung, we didn’t have time to connect the audio outputs of Samsung, not for a second!

As I said before we didn’t connect also component output of Samsung, not for a second.

Now, for the picture quality of bluray demo of Samsung, I have to say that my jaw didn’t dropped. Maybe I was expecting too much, I don’t know. I feel really strange to say a clear opinion, because I am not sure how responsible was the Projection Design for the things that I didn’t like to the picture quality, and how responsible was Samsung.

For example, I didn’t like the colours, especially green and red, oversaturated for my eyes and with a strange sense, the colours reminded to me a cartoon film, made totally by a computer.

I haven’t seen till now Toshiba A1.
post #119 of 185 Old 06-09-2006, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Beveridge
FYI, Samsung confirms 6/25 US and 6/30 CA dates.

http://www.bluraylive.com/_forum/viewtopic.php?t=12

Where in the US? I'm trying to get one!
post #120 of 185 Old 06-09-2006, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Where in the US? I'm trying to get one!
http://www.samsung.com/Products/DVDP...=size_contents