Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland
WHat are the output resolutions?

1080P24? 1080P60? Both?
The manual doesn't state it, and the unit only shows 1080p as an option (not illuminated attached to my projector due to EDID handshake) Nothing about refresh rate...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 267 Old 06-15-2006, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
2 of my local BB would not sell till Sunday. Stopped by a 3rd one and looked around the dvd players and there 2 in a stack of other brand dvd players. Looked around to see none of the employees came over, snatched one and went to long way around to pay. The cashier gave a $50.00 gift card on the stop for the purchase and another $100.00 will be mailed to me through reward zone. All in all, $850.00 plus tax, can't beat that.

Now lets see how it performs.

Ian B
post #183 of 267 Old 06-15-2006, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

darinp2,

I must have 'mis-expressed' myself. Actually, I wasn't kidding.

I know there's much more to it than just uncompressed. But given a certain master, an uncompressed version of it should sound better or at least equal to any of the compressed versions. Keeping up with that mindset, I don't believe a studio would use an inferior version of a soundtrack if there was a better master available (only if there was some other kind of bandwith or media restriction).

So I guess, in practice, if audio quality is the concern, the PCM uncompressed version should be the best of worlds.

I know these tracks are probably 48khz 24bits (or maybe 16), but that's what we got on Laserdiscs, and it did sound fantastic (of course considering it was not faulty or bad recorded tack). And if I'm not mistaken, that's also the sample rate of the DD+ tracks on HD-DVDs. So for me, yes, I'd rather have the uncompressed version for better quality.

Now... giving some further thought on the Terminator soundtrack, is the 5.1 PCM and indication of a new remaster? or is it the old screwed up mix with missing sound elements? Well, probably the latter, but if that's the case, it should also be a 5.1 EX matrix track.

I'm amazed that to this day, studios haven't figured out how to properly label and advertise these things (Warners seems to have done the same to the DD+ track on the Perfect Storm disc). Specially considering it's something working on their favor and could boots some additional sales.
post #184 of 267 Old 06-15-2006, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo913
It converts 1080p24 to 1080i60 then 1080p30. No straight output for 1080p24.

...Angelo

I've heard that called the "silly 1080p->1080i->1080p" conversion. :)

Don't see the point in that.

Supposedly, the Pio and the Sony will do it right.
post #185 of 267 Old 06-15-2006, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ian B
All in all, $850.00 plus tax, can't beat that. Ian B
Or you could have spent $500.00 and saved another $350.00! :) j/k gotta bust some balls... Let us know how it looks overall and give your impressions.

post #186 of 267 Old 06-15-2006, 07:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBC
I know these tracks are probably 48khz 24bits (or maybe 16)...
This was my point. In order to fit things on a 25GB disk without taking up too much of the video's space they may use 16/48 with uncompressed, but that may be inferior to 24/48 with an advanced codec. The first is uncompressed, but still not the best it can be. Maybe somebody knows what they are using.

And is it really uncompressed? Lossless is as good as uncompressed after decoding and sometimes people use one to mean the other. Uncompressed is normally quite a waste of space.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #187 of 267 Old 06-15-2006, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I finished T1 earlier and fiddled with the resolutions. I can't send 1080p to my panny but 1080i looks better than 720p sent to the panny, just like HD DVD players. It down converts better than the Toshiba but with my display it looks better if I let the Panny down convert. Overall I think the image is softer than HD DVD. The menu system is better than Universal's but I like Warners Menus the best so far.

Maybe future releases will be better, but right now the Universal titles kick BlueRays butt. I have T1, 5th, and I found Underworld at BB earlier today(which I haven't opened).
post #188 of 267 Old 06-15-2006, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcat
I've heard that called the "silly 1080p->1080i->1080p" conversion. :)

Don't see the point in that.

Supposedly, the Pio and the Sony will do it right.
BB is eating it up and telling the customers that it's "true" HD as it has 1080p. :confused:

I would expect Pioneer doing it right. For Sony I don't know unless they sell it for more, but we'll see. In any case all 2G HD (BD or HD-DVD) players will have the proper standards/hardware for HD to get it right.

Right now my HDTV that isn't even 1 year old doesn't support 1080p. Boot-up speed are not my problem unless it's over 2 minutes. I just what to see how well the studios produce that superb HD AV quality on both BD and HD-DVD.

...Angelo

2x HD-XA2 firmware 3.0
1x HD-A1 firmware 3.0
HD DVD movies: 141
post #189 of 267 Old 06-15-2006, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Underworld should kick all kinds of ass. The standard def version is already one of the best looking dvds I've seen on my set-up.
post #190 of 267 Old 06-15-2006, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I just want to know how the picture quality stacks up to HD DVD. If its equal then I may kep my player. If not, ill wait it out for the cheaper 2nd gen units.
post #191 of 267 Old 06-15-2006, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

I hope so, I am off to watch it right now. So far Both formats drop the ball with titles. I don't get them. If you want to stick a fork in the other formats back, give us something big. Kong, Batman, LOTR, Spiderman U name it they both have big titles.
post #192 of 267 Old 06-15-2006, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by eizenga13
Or you could have spent $500.00 and saved another $350.00! :) j/k gotta bust some balls... Let us know how it looks overall and give your impressions.
I already spent $500.00 on the HD-A1 about 2 months with no problems. So, lets see how this Samsung works. I don't care about the format war, I just want as much HD movies as possible.

Ian B
post #193 of 267 Old 06-16-2006, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Make sure you guys (owners) document observations, complaints, comparisons, etc. in the new sticky for "First End User Reports". Like in the HD-DVD forum (with the HD-A1), a tighter defined thread will allow us more leeway in confining the discussion to productive info for owners and prospective owners.
post #194 of 267 Old 06-16-2006, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ian B
I don't care about the format war, I just want as much HD movies as possible.
My thoughts exactly.

Please, feel free to call me by my first name, Petri.
post #195 of 267 Old 06-16-2006, 05:50 AM

Agreed with the above user... Just give us HD titles.... That's what this is all about!! :)
post #196 of 267 Old 06-16-2006, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
Alex,

at the moment the LPCM on BDs are 16/48 and the Dolby TruHD and DD+ tracks on BD are *also* 16/48.

So far no studio has given us a decent 20-24 bit resolution soundtrack.

1080p and lossless audio. EVERY BD should have them both.
post #197 of 267 Old 06-16-2006, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet
Alex,

at the moment the LPCM on BDs are 16/48 and the Dolby TruHD and DD+ tracks on BD are *also* 16/48.

So far no studio has given us a decent 20-24 bit resolution soundtrack.
So, in theory, shouldn't the combo of Samsung player/Blu-ray discs with 5.1 Lossless PCM be better than what you can get from the Toshiba/HD DVD discs with Dolby TrueHD since you can only hear the latter in 2 channels?
post #198 of 267 Old 06-16-2006, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfyncsu7
So, in theory, shouldn't the combo of Samsung player/Blu-ray discs with 5.1 Lossless PCM be better than what you can get from the Toshiba/HD DVD discs with Dolby TrueHD since you can only hear the latter in 2 channels?
Yes, I would think so. One problem is what that does for the bit budget with single layer BD discs (that might be constrained to 20 GB for yield issues). Toshiba better get with it on a firmware update to decode 5.1 Dolby TrueHD. Or better yet, wish - wish, 7.1 audio over PCM and analog (use the other normal 2 chan L/R RCA jacks --- may or may not be possible :cool: ).

Bob
post #199 of 267 Old 06-16-2006, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I could be wrong, and I'm sure others will point it out if so :), but Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD are losslessly COMPRESSED bitstreams whereas PCM uses no compression at all but is still lossless...so i guess the audio quality would be the same but the amount of space needed is different?
post #200 of 267 Old 06-16-2006, 11:15 AM

The first review is in for Terminator...

http://www.upcomingdiscs.com/dvd_rev...pe=date_posted

Sounds like a good one!
post #201 of 267 Old 06-16-2006, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrost

Sounds like a good one!
Especially the PCM soundtrack!

John McAdams
post #202 of 267 Old 06-16-2006, 11:58 AM
nyg
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrost

Sounds like a good one!
"Jawdropping" - that's what I want from all BD/HD DVD discs! Thanks for the review.
post #203 of 267 Old 06-16-2006, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

These reviews are starting to loose credibilty. I watched this last night. It looks good but not great. So far I am dissapointed with BR. If this is the best they have and they win the format war it will be another case of a inferior product beating a better one(HD DVD).

If HD DVD was not around, BR would look good but with HD around they rushed these movies to market with out being able to produce the larger capacity discs they have touted. I can say we will be seeing special edition BR a year from now to make up for the crap they are putting out today.

If these reviewers keep giving thumbs up to BR titles they have either not seen HD DVD titles or Sony is paying them off. I could care less about who wins as long as we get a decent HD format and right now BR is not. All the titles look soft and lack detail. I would advise anyone looking to hold off for the Sony player(if it is the player(and some better higher capacity titles) or get a HD DVD player for now.
post #204 of 267 Old 06-16-2006, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbo
These reviews are starting to loose credibilty. I watched this last night. It looks good but not great. So far I am dissapointed with BR. If this is the best they have and they win the format war it will be another case of a inferior product beating a better one(HD DVD).

If HD DVD was not around, BR would look good but with HD around they rushed these movies to market with out being able to produce the larger capacity discs they have touted. I can say we will be seeing special edition BR a year from now to make up for the crap they are putting out today.

If these reviewers keep giving thumbs up to BR titles they have either not seen HD DVD titles or Sony is paying them off. I could care less about who wins as long as we get a decent HD format and right now BR is not. All the titles look soft and lack detail. I would advise anyone looking to hold off for the Sony player(if it is the player(and some better higher capacity titles) or get a HD DVD player for now.
Well said. These reviewers are clearly the first wave of "Damage Control" for Blu-Ray. HD-DVD is cheaper and has better quality right now. Who in their right minds would waste $1000 on an inferior player?
post #205 of 267 Old 06-16-2006, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetz
Well said. These reviewers are clearly the first wave of "Damage Control" for Blu-Ray. HD-DVD is cheaper and has better quality right now. Who in their right minds would waste $1000 on an inferior player?
I think this is a little harsh. The reviews havent been spectacular for BD, but I do expect the quality of releases to improve. I think Sony may have set unrealistic expectations.

I personally do not expect much from the Samsung even though it is $1000, but I am looking forward to some reviews especially comparing them to HD DVD. I think the price advantage is a given, so lets get to the important stuff already.
post #206 of 267 Old 06-16-2006, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbo

Okay, we'll just ignore every other review and take what you say as gospel. :rolleyes:

John McAdams
post #207 of 267 Old 06-16-2006, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetz
Excuse me? These are professional reviewers who often know exactly what to look for, with ISF-calibrated sets and high-end displays. I know it's hard to accept that not everyone is saying Blu-ray is as bad as you want it to be, but you can't win 'em all. Dismissing these guys just because they don't agree with you doesn't make you right.

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

Best. Surge Protector. Ever.
post #208 of 267 Old 06-16-2006, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Look back at ohhh... less than 2 months ago and you see not 1 bad review for HD-DVD's (obviously the player MAY have had a few glitches but those have been cleaned up with the firmware) SOOO even 1 bad review is 1 more than HD-DVD had... everyone said SPECTACULAR, STUNNING, AMAZING (even the BD crowd) So in my opinion why wait for the future???? If they *SAY it will get better well that is rediculous!

** Obviously I should state that I am talking about the discs here not the player, and that is appearently what this debate is about the clarity, and image of the discs.

post #209 of 267 Old 06-16-2006, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
Actually,

One reviewer really panned the 5th Element (justifiably). It's not just a case of "praise any HD that comes along" with all the reviewers.

1080p and lossless audio. EVERY BD should have them both.
post #210 of 267 Old 06-16-2006, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizenga13
Look back at ohhh... less than 2 months ago and you see not 1 bad review for HD-DVD's
I don't think you're reading enough reviews. :) I've written negative reviews of the technical aspects of A View from Space with Heavenly Music and The Perfect Storm, for instance. Many reviews on the presentations of Full Metal Jacket and The Fugitive from a variety of different sites have been middling.
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page