post #91 of 302 Old 06-15-2006, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by overcast
Seriously, if you give a **** about price, you're participating on the wrong forum. None of us care, that is the point. We like new toys.
Uhh...i'm hoping that you mean just the BD forum.

Regardless, that's a disgustingly elitist point of view. The rest of the world doesn't have this kind of money and that's what BOTH sides of this war are going to need in the end.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 302 Old 06-15-2006, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wright
The market will determine price. Right now, enthusiasts are the ones who are going to be buying into either format. If the player is available, you will see as many posts on this board from Blu-Ray owners as HD-DVD. Personally, I am waiting for the Sony player. It looked a little more elegant than the Samsung player and may benefit from some more time to market. Until then, I want to hear all the positives and negatives of both formats.

Fair enough, obviously these are all aimed squarely at early adopters, with "mainstream consumer" units at least a year away at this point.

I'm just commenting on Sony's whole BD strategy, it seems very poorly planned at this point, especially with the price point of the PS3 which IS a mass market consumer item.
post #93 of 302 Old 06-15-2006, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetz
That attitude is going to be the death of the format.

Unlike us, NEARLY EVERYONE ELSE, does give a **** about price. Unless you want Blu-Ray to die a quick death and you end up with a $1000 paperweight, you better change your thinking.
Going by your arguments DVD should be a dead format. DVD Players debuted at $1000 price point if you don't recall.

New Technology costs a lot to bring to the market. Early Adopters pay the price of being first to play with new toys. Prices will come down by probably 1st quarter or mid next year once manufacturing costs come down and there is more product availability.

Purple Hi-Def Owner

My Hi Def/DVD Collection
post #94 of 302 Old 06-15-2006, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The more important point in this is that $1k isn't necessarily high enough to be prohibitive for the particular crowd interested in home theater. It is almost presumed, given precedent. $500 and $1000 are both big expenditures, but not enough to make you choose one over the other completely based on price. The one you buy is the one you want, and the price is simply paid because you already knew you would be blowing a serious chunk of cash.

Now if you were choosing between 2 models in the same format with a $50 difference, that's where the price dynamic comes into play. Outside of that, format trumpts price (within reason). The format that has the movie support you want, is the one you pick (otherwise you wait, if the price is too much). Picking the format that doesn't have the movies you want, just to get the better price, would be the top of the list for senseless purchases (that would be purely $500 wasted, rather than $1k invested in something you intend to support by buying available content that appeals to you)

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #95 of 302 Old 06-15-2006, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalahmar
Going by your arguments DVD should be a dead format. DVD Players debuted at $1000 price point if you don't recall.
DVD had no competition and could take it's time building a niche.

Quote:
The more important point in this is that $1k isn't necessarily high enough to be prohibitive for the particular crowd interested in home theater. It is almost presumed, given precedent. $500 and $1000 are both big expenditures, but not enough to make you choose one over the other completely based on price. The one you buy is the one you want, and the price is simply paid because you already knew you would be blowing a serious chunk of cash.
Wrong. Price is first and foremost why A LOT of people bit. Sony's ego was #2.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #96 of 302 Old 06-15-2006, 10:29 AM

[quote=DigitalfreakNYC]DVD had no competition and could take it's time building a niche.

Might I remind you that DVD was in a format war with DivX at the time?????

Purple Hi-Def Owner

My Hi Def/DVD Collection
post #97 of 302 Old 06-15-2006, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC
Um, what about Laserdisc, VHS, and Divx?

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

Best. Surge Protector. Ever.
post #98 of 302 Old 06-15-2006, 10:30 AM

Quote:

Might I remind you DVD was in a format war with DivX at the time? CC was trying to push DivX really hard, so were a lot of movie studios.

Purple Hi-Def Owner

My Hi Def/DVD Collection
post #99 of 302 Old 06-15-2006, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet
Health Nut,

I am *so coming to visit*.

Hey, I've got a friend's HD DVD player I might be able to bring along for some cool HD fun...

:D
I'd be up for it to! :)

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

Best. Surge Protector. Ever.
post #100 of 302 Old 06-15-2006, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38

Folks,

take debates about price to ANOTHER THREAD (one of the thousands already arguing about it). This thread is about the player itself and assumes interest in it.

Debating about price here is THREAD FARTING and we'll get the mods invovled to keep this from becoming just another newsgroup rabble of HD DVD versus BD debates. We're not invalidating your views. We're just saying ***this*** thread is NOT THE PLACE TO TALK ABOUT THEM.

GO AWAY or STAY and keep on topic of the player itself and its features and performance.

1080p and lossless audio. EVERY BD should have them both.
post #101 of 302 Old 06-15-2006, 10:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosawx
let's not forget : doing the comparo blind
Until there is a common movie it will be tough to compare HD DVD and BluRay "blind", but I would love to get "Batman Begins" on each format and then find out if people can see or hear a difference without knowing which is playing.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #102 of 302 Old 06-15-2006, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 107
I really wish the people who prefer one format over another would stop trying to "convert" everyone they come across, as though the success of the format they've chosen to support actually depended on it. If you like what you like, that is fine with me...just don't spend the better part of your life trying to convince everybody else that YOUR way is the ONLY way. Especially when you have to resort to the misrepresentation of facts to back up your position on the matter at hand.

It should be obvious to everyone on this Forum that manufacturers routinely price the first generation of any new technology so that they can recoup at least a small percentage of their R&D costs. Pricing of first generation players will not be the sole determining factor in which camp prevails...too many people all around the world are perfectly happy with their standard definition DVD players for anyone in their right mind to expect them all to just junk these units and embrace the new formats. Most of the DVD players that have been sold in the past year alone are connected to displays that can barely achieve VHS resolution. The owners of these sets are NOT the target audience for the first generation of players...video/film enthusiasts and people with home theaters are. This constant bickering over who has the best pricing strategy makes some otherwise very intelligent people come across like uneducated brutes, and I cannot believe some of the statements I've been reading over the past several weeks. And this coming from people who are part of a Forum where a large percentage of members to this day will not hesitate to spend thousands on a high end UPCONVERTING player from Denon, Pioneer, or Marantz. I don't think I've ever seen anyone on here get this emotional over the amount somebody spent on a Denon 3910, yet a lot of people take issue with a $999 player that plays back actual HIGH DEFINITION discs. Where is the logic here, people? Let's try to stay focused on the technical merits of the formats and stop making this into a class war. If you can't afford one of the players now, you will be able to eventually.
post #103 of 302 Old 06-15-2006, 11:13 AM

Ah. Rudy, let's wait and see the actual adoption first before assuming BD will win. Isn't that what you think?
post #104 of 302 Old 06-15-2006, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I said it before and I'll say it again - I'm getting both formats, just because I likes me HD!

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

post #105 of 302 Old 06-15-2006, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalahmar
Might I remind you DVD was in a format war with DivX at the time? CC was trying to push DivX really hard, so were a lot of movie studios.
Might I remind you that DivX was out LONG after regular DVDs were? Something like a year. DVD players had NO COMPETITION on Day One and listed for $1000. I know, I still have my DVL-700.
post #106 of 302 Old 06-15-2006, 11:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn
Pretty much only way to do it is same title same display both formats and even then ........... :D

As en example on my system U571 looked incredibly similar on DTheater and HDDVD. I think having a lot more HD to choose from is great no matter what. :)

Art
Just needs better hardware from a better company than Toshiba or RCA/Thompson.

And more than a dubious 40 percent studio support.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #107 of 302 Old 06-15-2006, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow, this is great news! I hope CC ships my player soon, I can't wait to give BD a spin.
post #108 of 302 Old 06-15-2006, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

It is quite amusing to see the tables turned around here...I won't say I told you so...;)
post #109 of 302 Old 06-15-2006, 11:29 AM

I paid $500 for the first Toshiba DVD player (one w/o component...didn't have a component tv at the time). I paid $500 for the Toshiba HD-DVD player. I WILL pay $500-600 for a standalone BD player or I can get my hands on a $600 PS3.
post #110 of 302 Old 06-15-2006, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Well I went to my local Best Buy and low and behold there was the player looking at me in the face. The sales guy was not even aware it was there. It had no tag and according to him was not for sale yet. He tells me the Sony is coming in next week which I know is not true based on what I have read. He also said the price of the Samsung was 899, talk about clueless. I'll try again tomorrow and hopefully get my hands on one. For the record I have the Toshiba and overall I am pleased with it. As far as I am concerned the winner will be whomever has the best content, more new releases. I could care less about movies that have been out for some time already.
post #111 of 302 Old 06-15-2006, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I just want hi-def movies regardless of the format. With that said, I already have the Toshiba HD-A1 and have had 0 problems. I just got back from my local bb and they have 2 in transit. They called 2 surrounding stores and they both had 2 but, will not sell them till Sunday.

Bastards!!!(lol)

Ian B
post #112 of 302 Old 06-15-2006, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Regardless, that's a disgustingly elitist point of view. The rest of the world doesn't have this kind of money and that's what BOTH sides of this war are going to need in the end.
You still don't get it. People are complaining and making remarks that OTHER people are buying these "overpriced" systems. These are luxury items, they aren't required to sustain life (arguable). Arguing over the pricing of them is just stupid. Do you complain that Ferraris are overpriced? Everyone else and myself do not care what the rest of the world has in terms of finances. If we want it, we'll get it.

This is the intial launch of new technology, they are not concerned about the "general" public at this point.
post #113 of 302 Old 06-15-2006, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Ferrari isn't that good as you think they are, and yes they are overpriced for the quality you get.

Just compare it to a Porsche which is built to last on the track without parts dropping off the chassis like Ferrari.

Ferrari is all about design and people paying stupid money just to show off.
post #114 of 302 Old 06-15-2006, 11:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreakNYC
We don't.

Quote:

Good. Frankly, we're overdue for a good healthy does of some "elitism" around here and I'm all for it and I make no apologies for it.

Again: I miss the days when AVS was filled with people who cared about QUALITY above all else.

If that's "elitism" now, then so be it and I want more of it right away.

I don't tolerate bull**** or mediocrity at ANY price and neither should anyone else.

Consider me an "elitist." :rolleyes: :cool:

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #115 of 302 Old 06-15-2006, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 240
I for one am glad to see some BD hardware out. I will however, sit this "war" out for awhile. I really have little interest in two machines. However, I could be moved if one of the formats actually starts putting out significant software which has not happened yet. I will give that several months, perhaps the end of the year. I also do not like what I have seen of the BD audio options compared to HD-DVD and will be interested in seeing how the BD players other than the Sony handle audio. It will be interesting to check out this thread to see how the Samsung works. I have seen BD and HD-DVD in operation at various events around the country and have been impressed with the PQ on both.
post #116 of 302 Old 06-15-2006, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q of BanditZ
We don't.

Good. Frankly, we're overdue for a good healthy does of some "elitism" around here and I'm all for it and I make no apologies for it.

Again: I miss the days when AVS was filled with people who cared about QUALITY above all else.

If that's "elitism" now, then so be it and I want more of it right away.

I don't tolerate bull**** or mediocrity at ANY price and neither should anyone else.

Consider me an "elitist." :rolleyes: :cool:
Can I have an AMEN!

John McAdams
post #117 of 302 Old 06-15-2006, 12:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip
I for one am glad to see some BD hardware out. I will however, sit this "war" out for awhile. I really have little interest in two machines. However, I could be moved if one of the formats actually starts putting out significant software which has not happened yet. I will give that several months, perhaps the end of the year. I also do not like what I have seen of the BD audio options compared to HD-DVD and will be interested in seeing how the BD players other than the Sony handle audio. It will be interesting to check out this thread to see how the Samsung works. I have seen BD and HD-DVD in operation at various events around the country and have been impressed with the PQ on both.
I'm of the same mind essentially, even having a HD-DVD player already, two months ago I would have jumped at the chance to pick up a BD player also, but right now, I'm going to wait until 2nd gen BD players become available(audio capability and such) or until there is a preponderance of new releases, I've about had my fill of double-dipping on previously released material just because it's on HD-DVD.
post #118 of 302 Old 06-15-2006, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likvid
Ferrari isn't that good as you think they are, and yes they are overpriced for the quality you get.

Just compare it to a Porsche which is built to last on the track without parts dropping off the chassis like Ferrari.

Ferrari is all about design and people paying stupid money just to show off.
The target comparison is irrelevant and you know it. So please don't bore us with your "elitist" review of cars. Point is , people bitch about things they can't have.
post #119 of 302 Old 06-15-2006, 12:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longshot
Can I have an AMEN!

Or a "hell yeah!" and a Stone Cold salute. :p

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #120 of 302 Old 06-15-2006, 12:23 PM

Stopped by the Best Buy in Tyson's Corner. They said they were getting 2 Samsung BD players in their truck which hadn't arrived yet.

I talked to the manager (who I know well now) and was promptly able to pay for the Player and will pick it up around 8 PM today :D

Now, I can't speak for all BB but this is what I know about how this particular Magnolia is treating their HD DVD and BD demos/set up.

1. Manager told me their main problem is supply of Toshiba Players. They next next shipment end of July and that it is back ordered nationally.

2. They have the HD DVD movie in a very prominant place in the DVD section which you see as you enter the store - I would call this prime location!

3. The used to be in a prime location in the Magnolia section but has since been moved to an end-cap in the CRT section. His philosophy is no player to sell so what's the point. They are not even taking pre-orders yet.

4. They will connect their BD player to a Samsung DLP in the Magnolia section. His impression was that he would be surprised if people would really buy $999 BD Players from Samsung! He felt the best shot for BD is PS3 because it is $499. In the Tyson's Corner area he said that at $499 he would have probably sold 3 to 4 times as many HD DVD players as BD players on price alone!!!

The reason I am brining this up is because I always hear about how BB, CC etc are going to push BD instead of HD DVD. The problem is not that, it is the fact that they don't believe they will get HD DVD supply on a consistant basis. So if they have BD players to sell but not HD DVD, they will trash HD DVD and vice versa....

Anyway, I'm looking forward to setting both players up by this weekend. Since I promised not to encourage Sony by buying mpeg-2 disks, I'll have to think of a way to get a hold of some for the weekend :)

Unfortunately looks like this store is now officially sold out :eek:

Cheers...
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page