Blu Rays at BB. Just picked up mine!!! - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 302 Old 06-16-2006, 05:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You guys should think yourselves lucky you've got HD players already :P We don't yet :(

I still keep telling people how much DVD was when it arrived. My 1st gen Sony top end player cost me £600 (that's GBP) brand new so you can't complain on price....it's a new format and cheaper players will arrive eventually just like with DVD. People assume that because you can pick up a DVD player for £20 in your local supermarket that HD players should be priced really low. Silly people.

I'm still going to wait for a year or so and see which format is doing better and what hardware/titles are available.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 302 Old 06-16-2006, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Make sure you guys (owners) document observations, complaints, comparisons, etc. in the new sticky for "First End User Reports". Like in the HD-DVD forum (with the HD-A1), a tighter defined thread will allow us more leeway in confining the discussion to productive info for owners and prospective owners.
post #183 of 302 Old 06-16-2006, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy
BB is better?
Yeah:

Higher pay
No food to restock 40000 times a day
No expiration dates
Not having to stay in a -30 degree freezer
A discount that doesn't require using the Target Visa card
Better than 10% (on most items, since BB varies upon Product)

Plus, I work in a store that deals with movies, and my main goal is to get into the movie industry, so it is better than nothing. All it truly has to do is pay the rent, for my computer, school loans, bills, and be a worthy job that I can enjoy, I'm good for right now. Target does not have anythign enjoyable at all.

The format wars are over Primal, you lose - Megatron from Beast Machines (partially)

So long HD-DVD, I will miss you no matter how much I complained about Combo Discs.
post #184 of 302 Old 06-16-2006, 10:57 AM
T2k

Liked: 11
OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet
Oh really? Wow... that's a newsflash for us all!

None of us at AVS had ever considered that.

;)

wow... HD DVD has 17 whole movies to choose from! Wow! That's a reason to adopt a format if I ever heard one. Oh... wait a minute... D-VHS has even *more* and is even *cheaper* than a Toshiba HD DVD deck. Guess we should scrap both HD DVD and BD and go get one of those instead!

:D

p.s. BD just luanched. Actually, it hasn't even launched at all! DUH! of course there will be more HD DVD titles around... for a little while at least...
Why r u acting like an idiot jerk, seriously?
post #185 of 302 Old 06-16-2006, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
tk2,

becuase talking about the *** SAME OLD WORN OUT ARGUMENTS ABOUT BD/HD DVD PRICING THAT HAVE BEEN TALKED ABOUT FOR MONTHS AND MONTHS AND MONTHS IN A HUNDRED OTHER THREADS *** is thread-farting here in this thread which is about the topic of the Samsungs player and it's performance and features.

It's so tiring have EVERY thread on this board degenerate into the same old "BD versus HD DVD" crappola. IMO, the ***JERKS*** are the folks trying to do that. Not those of us trying to have an actual discussion about an well-defined topic.

Talk about pricing is valid and fine. DO IT IN ANOTHER THREAD. Get out of the newsgroup mentality and try to get back to the meaningful thread discussion that used to make AVS a decent place to surf.

1080p and lossless audio. EVERY BD should have them both.
post #186 of 302 Old 06-16-2006, 11:40 AM

Quote:
tk2,

becuase talking about the *** SAME OLD WORN OUT ARGUMENTS ABOUT BD/HD DVD PRICING THAT HAVE BEEN TALKED ABOUT FOR MONTHS AND MONTHS AND MONTHS IN A HUNDRED OTHER THREADS *** is thread-farting here in this thread which is about the topic of the Samsungs player and it's performance and features.

It's so tiring have EVERY thread on this board degenerate into the same old "BD versus HD DVD" crappola. IMO, the ***JERKS*** are the folks trying to do that. Not those of us trying to have an actual discussion about an well-defined topic.

Talk about pricing is valid and fine. DO IT IN ANOTHER THREAD. Get out of the newsgroup mentality and try to get back to the meaningful thread discussion that used to make AVS a decent place to surf.
David, even the original poster went on to make comparisons to the Toshiba HD DVD unit he has. Avoiding comparisons to HD DVD is going to be impossible unless you start a new thread with a "well-defined topic" asking members to refrain from discussing HD DVD.
post #187 of 302 Old 06-16-2006, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Sure...

make comparison about *FEATURES AND PERFORMANCE*.

that's fine.

It shouldn't be so hard to understand how getting into a debate about how BD players cost more that HD DVD and "will consumers see a benefit" have been plastered around at AVS all day, every day, for months.

Get a clue!

post #188 of 302 Old 06-16-2006, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Sure...

that's fine.

It shouldn't be so hard to understand how getting into a debate about how BD players cost more that HD DVD and "will consumers see a benefit" have been plastered around at AVS all day, every day, for months.

Get a clue!
David, if you wish to direct conversation on this forum and consequently be in a better mood, you should start a new thread with clearly defined rules as you like.

For me, the pricing of the Samsung player along with it features and performance compared to the Toshiba player are what will help me to decide to go with Blu-ray or HD DVD.

Thank you to the original poster for making such a comparison.
post #189 of 302 Old 06-16-2006, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sure...

that's fine.

Get a clue!
While I don't condone the silliness, it permeated the HD DVD threads as well...seems like the same thing only roles are now reversed.

And, I really don't see the difference between beating 1080p, more *future* storage capacity, more industry backing, etc. into the ground.

When it furthers the BD cause it is OK, but when the strengths of HD DVD are brought to bear it is thread farting?

If you are truly being sincere, then you, like the rest of us, will just have to bear reading the same thing over and over again...it will die down, just like it did in the HD DVD threads.

Personal attacks is what is really bothersome here lately!

[EDIT: BTW, there is a "controlled thread" that seems to be well-behaved, although not very *active*]
post #190 of 302 Old 06-16-2006, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Sure...

that's fine.

Get a clue!
Calm down there cowboy.

I can't blame you for getting worked up now that reality is starting to catch up with Blu-Ray though. If you are this upset now....this summer is going to be a tough one for you....
post #191 of 302 Old 06-16-2006, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDover
I'd tend to agree. There are some who are taking this whole thing entirely too seriously.

Ignorance can be cured, stupidity is forever.
Choosing sides is so...last gen.
360/PS3/Wii/HD DVD/Blu-Ray/Plasma/PJ - Too much money
Not having to choose - Priceless
post #192 of 302 Old 06-16-2006, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetz
Calm down there cowboy.

I can't blame you for getting worked up now that reality is starting to catch up with Blu-Ray though. If you are this upset now....this summer is going to be a tough one for you....
Please take your trolling and Toshiba cheerleading elsewhere.

John McAdams
post #193 of 302 Old 06-16-2006, 01:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDover
While I don't condone the silliness, it permeated the HD DVD threads as well...seems like the same thing only roles are now reversed.

And, I really don't see the difference between beating 1080p, more *future* storage capacity, more industry backing, etc. into the ground.

When it furthers the BD cause it is OK, but when the strengths of HD DVD are brought to bear it is thread farting?

If you are truly being sincere, then you, like the rest of us, will just have to bear reading the same thing over and over again...it will die down, just like it did in the HD DVD threads.

[EDIT: BTW, there is a "controlled thread" that seems to be well-behaved, although not very *active*]

You hit it on the head. I lurk here quite a bit and for the record I can easily afford to buy either of these players (or both if I choose).

I didn't see anything stopping all of the blu-ray crowd from jumping all over every single HD-A1 thread with how it didn't do 1080P or it was junk, low capacity discs, etc, etc, etc.

And now when some comparisons on cost/performance come up in this holy blu-ray thread it's "thread crapping" that will get "reported to a mod".

Talk about pot calling the kettle!

:rolleyes:
post #194 of 302 Old 06-16-2006, 01:08 PM
nyg
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilsp
Amen, Darin. Ridiculous to start raining on the parade before it is even supposed to be here... (Shows a bit of desperation from a certain camp...)
Sad but true.
post #195 of 302 Old 06-16-2006, 01:11 PM

I too have been pointed out for simply asking were are the post regarding Blu Ray PQ,and indicating that the HD-DVD first user thread had all sorts of reports related directly to PQ.
post #196 of 302 Old 06-16-2006, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I've tried to stay on topic and not thread far in the Toshiba HD DVD player threads. On the contrary, I did my best to contribute germane conversation about HDMI output, DTS transcoding, and issues surrounding 3-2 pulldown reversal for 1080p reconstruction in decoders etc. and even gave the Toshiba praise where due, and only criticized it on points releveant to the thread such as the lack of 5.1 output fromm Dolby True HD.

I'm not asking any member to abide by on-topic conversation that I myself haven't already contrubuted in the HD DVD direction.

Sorry if my tone has been rude. Frankly I find the constant thread-farting in EVERY thread here.. whether BD or HD DVD in nature, rude as well and just want it to go away.

Quote:
I didn't see anything stopping all of the blu-ray crowd from jumping all over every single HD-A1 thread with how it didn't do 1080P or it was junk
That's fine. that was about the player, its performance and its features.

Crap all over the Sammy if you want to talk about the Sammy and what it can or can't do or how well it does or doesn't do it. If you've seen the Sammy and it does poor upscaling of SD material... criticize it! If the Sammy can't output a proper 1080p signal because we find it doesn't do inverse telecine... criticize it! If you find it can't read every fourth disc you play... criticize it!

That's about the player and it's what this thread is about... good or bad.

But the same worn-out talks about "BD is twice the cost of HD DVD so who would want to buy it" is nothing more than AVS thread-crapola that has been covered a zillion times in every other thread. Let's talk about *that* topic there.

post #197 of 302 Old 06-16-2006, 01:28 PM
TWD
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
i just got back from a trek to 3 local BB in search of a BR player. No luck. I stopped off at a Tweeter and the sales guy told me the end of the month for the Samsung AND Pioneer players. He also told me that the SONY player is delayed until September.

Here is something you may get a kick out of. I asked him how the Toshiba HD-DVD sales were going. e told me that it was like a boomerang. They would sell one and it would come right back.

TWD
post #198 of 302 Old 06-16-2006, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD
i just got back from a trek to 3 local BB in search of a BR player. No luck. I stopped off at a Tweeter and the sales guy told me the end of the month for the Samsung AND Pioneer players. He also told me that the SONY player is delayed until September.

Here is something you may get a kick out of. I asked him how the Toshiba HD-DVD sales were going. e told me that it was like a boomerang. They would sell one and it would come right back.
So what are they doing with their returns of the HD DVD players? I sure don't see them stocked on the shelves anywhere! Did you see any lying around?
post #199 of 302 Old 06-16-2006, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No...

junking up EVERY thread on this forum, regardless of the thread topic, with the same general debates about the pros and cons of HD DVD versus BD is the problem.

Talk about the SAMSUNG player in this thread (good or bad).

We've got other threads to argue about the merits of HD DVD and BD or to blab on and on with debates about the difference in pricing between hardware.

post #200 of 302 Old 06-16-2006, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BTW, this is *also* thread crapping.

This thread is about the Samsung player. Not about sales/returns of the Toshiba HD DVD player at Tweeter. That should go in the general HD news thread.

Ok,

I'm officially PMSing. Signing off.

Talk to you guys another day...

post #201 of 302 Old 06-16-2006, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

A few simple facts, that seems lost on a few people:

1) Blu-ray has not launched. To compare number of titles in the store NOW with what HD-DVD had is ridiculous. At least wait until the official launch date.

2) MPEG2 quality <> Blu-ray quality. That initial titles are released as MPEG2 should not be held against the Blu-ray format, come on, we KNOW studios are just waiting to get VC-1 titles out the door. Ie. picture quality will be very similar.

3) Initial titles quality <> Blu-ray quality. It is unfortunately very obvious that we're back in the double-triple-quadruple dipping game again. How they could use a different print/master of The Fifth Element on the Superbit and Blu-ray release escapes me. Just wrong! (That said, have no problems admitting that Sony have been and are a bit cocky in their marketing and speak of Blu-ray... It does seem VC-1 titles are better.) Bring on titles from non-Sony studios.

4) Bugs. All new CE devices of a certain complexity level WILL have bugs. ALL! Even $10,000 units do. It is impossible to avoid. Toshiba had/have it, Samsung do, Sony will, Pioneer will. A sad fact we'll have to get used to.

5) Related to 4. If you want to be a pioneer and be the first to get 1. gen products, don't expect perfection. "QA should have caught this...": See 4)

6) Trolls. They exist on both sides and will always rear their ugly heads. Ignore!

Question: Anyone with discs who've connected the Samsung to a 1080P display? Is the P all it is hyped up to be?

NilsP

Life is better in HD.
post #202 of 302 Old 06-16-2006, 01:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

1) Blu-ray has not launched. To compare number of titles in the store NOW with what HD-DVD had is ridiculous. At least wait until the official launch date.

2) MPEG2 quality <> Blu-ray quality. That initial titles are released as MPEG2 should not be held against the Blu-ray format, come on, we KNOW studios are just waiting to get VC-1 titles out the door. Ie. picture quality will be very similar.

3) Initial titles quality <> Blu-ray quality. It is unfortunately very obvious that we're back in the double-triple-quadruple dipping game again. How they could use a different print/master of The Fifth Element on the Superbit and Blu-ray release escapes me. Just wrong! (That said, have no problems admitting that Sony have been and are a bit cocky in their marketing and speak of Blu-ray... It does seem VC-1 titles are better.) Bring on titles from non-Sony studios.

4) Bugs. All new CE devices of a certain complexity level WILL have bugs. ALL! Even $10,000 units do. It is impossible to avoid. Toshiba had/have it, Samsung do, Sony will, Pioneer will. A sad fact we'll have to get used to.

5) Related to 4. If you want to be a pioneer and be the first to get 1. gen products, don't expect perfection. "QA should have caught this...": See 4)

6) Trolls. They exist on both sides and will always rear their ugly heads. Ignore!

Question: Anyone with discs who've connected the Samsung to a 1080P display? Is the P all it is hyped up to be?

In the CNET review/first-look that was linked to earlier in this thread, the author writes that he could not tell any differences at all with two Samsung players connected to a 1080P Samsung DLP set, one set at 1080i one set at 1080p, both using HDMI.

So apparently with at least the title he tested, no difference with 1080p could be determined. Whether this will hold true down the road with future 1080p titles, better encoding, etc, probably remains to be seen (like wait another year).
post #203 of 302 Old 06-16-2006, 02:04 PM

Quote:
BTW, this is *also* thread crapping.

This thread is about the Samsung player. Not about sales/returns of the Toshiba HD DVD player at Tweeter. That should go in the general HD news thread.

Ok,

I'm officially PMSing. Signing off.

Talk to you guys another day...

Just a word of advice, maybe HD DVD adopters would believe you were completely free from bias and back off of you a bit if you didn't have the "poster boy for the Blu-ray format" sign posted on your page. Just an observation.

I, for one, own an HD-A1 and am equally interested in looking into the Blu-ray format if it boasts the kind of pomp and praise that it recieved before its release. Like most 1080P DLP owners in America, mine only accepts 1080i and upconverts to 1080P ( a transition which I must admit if flawless on my DLP).
So far I have had the previledge of viewing "50 First Dates" and "The Fifth Element" on the new Samsung player; the "Fifth Element" being an older fild did not look very good at all, but the "50 First Dates" looked great. And I must say that the advantages of 1080P cannot be determined by the naked eye...they looked exactly the same!
I will never-the less still end up owning the Blu-ray format because of my fondness for the Tekken game on PS3.
post #204 of 302 Old 06-16-2006, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

1) Not ridicules... each format plays their respective HD format, and SD. We can compare the merits of each player w.r.t. SD today... no need to wait for launch. And if there are a handful of BD movies in the hands of folks that own/demo the Sammy, then a comparison made today is valid. Again, no need to wait.

2) Yes it should!! The BD format supports MPEG2, as well as other compression formats... so ANY BD movie released as MPEG2 (the bitrate is much higher than SD MPEG2, no?) directly correlates to BD quality. If the format is supported, it's fair game.

3-6) agreed.

-T
post #205 of 302 Old 06-16-2006, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

T,

HD DVD supports MPEG2 as well.

post #206 of 302 Old 06-16-2006, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likvid
Ferrari isn't that good as you think they are, and yes they are overpriced for the quality you get.

Just compare it to a Porsche which is built to last on the track without parts dropping off the chassis like Ferrari.

Ferrari is all about design and people paying stupid money just to show off.
A Porsche is built on a production line. This lack of exclusivity is the reason Porsche will never draw the same $$$ or same type of owner as a Ferrari.
post #207 of 302 Old 06-16-2006, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
T,

HD DVD supports MPEG2 as well.
My point still stands... any BD format can be compared to any HD-DVD format. That was my only point. If it's available, it can be compared/contrasted with another.

-T
post #208 of 302 Old 06-16-2006, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I've tried to stay on topic and not thread far in the Toshiba HD DVD player threads. On the contrary, I did my best to contribute germane conversation about HDMI output, DTS transcoding, and issues surrounding 3-2 pulldown reversal for 1080p reconstruction in decoders etc. and even gave the Toshiba praise where due, and only criticized it on points releveant to the thread such as the lack of 5.1 output fromm Dolby True HD.
Just out of curiosity, did you ever own or test an actual Tosh HD-DVD player for any period of time? Your input was more on the intelligent side and true to the subject matter, but you can't deny you took quite a few swipes at it based on just what people said, vs testing it out yourself.

While I do agree with you that I wish seemingly every thread wouldn't deteriorate into a :

Nuh-Uh!

Uh-Uh!

As If!

Whatever!

...type of Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD tired re-hash, you did your fair share of what you're asking people not to do here.

[/sermon]

I'm a little bummed that we have to wade through a lot of the insult volleys that are almost everywhere now, but I'm hoping the owners of this new BD players don't get deterred by it.

Any ounce of information or experience with this new machine are more than welcome! Please, keep it coming!!! :D

Still looking for a movie theatre that shows movies the way they're SUPPOSED to be viewed...

...with a bitrate meter and screencaps.
post #209 of 302 Old 06-16-2006, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2
What is your complaint? That some stores messed up and sold the players 10 days before they were supposed to or that others didn't have software ready for those who weren't supposed to have players yet? Those who think, "People got the HD DVD player early and so it is the same as people getting the Samsung early" are wrong. Some of us got the HD DVD player about 4 days early. Here we are talking about 10 days early. And I personally don't think Samsung should get trashed for getting the players to the stores early or that the software guys should get trashed because some salespeople don't know what they are doing and sell these players before they are supposed to (I wasn't fortunate enough to find a clueless salesperson myself today :)).

Major complaints about a launch that is only supposed to be in the setup stages make me wonder about this place. It seems a little bit like sneaking into a wedding reception early and claiming that the organizers messed up because there is no cake out.

--Darin
You don't understand my complaint?

What wedding are you talking about?

This is not about Samsung trashing. This is about releasing highly anticipated product that gets botched up. Regardless of the players involved. The last two months there was catcalls about Toshiba not selling it right, displaying it right, etc.

So how is this any different? None.

This time the only thing is that its worse. Not one movie along with the release. Not a display in sight to go with the sale product. Reread my previous post before declaring NOT understanding the point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #210 of 302 Old 06-16-2006, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longshot
Please take your trolling and Toshiba cheerleading elsewhere.

Let me first drop off your own medicine - the one that is soo hard for you to swallow.

Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page