Samsung Blu-ray BDP-1000 - First End User Reports - OWNERS ONLY! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1912 Old 06-17-2006, 03:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 170
So I finally got the H78 and the BDP-1000 working together. What I need to do is turn on the projector, start the DVI RGB synch search, then turn on the BDP-1000. If I disconnect the HDMI cable, or change HDMI resolutions, I have to power cycle the BDP-1000 in order to re-sync.

Seems like there is a hot swap problem between my projector and the BDP-1000, as the Panasonic 42PX50U does not have the same problem.

EDIT: Retraction.

Seems that after 15 seconds of boot (ie. I can see the Samsung Logo) the DVD unit will then slip into 1080i. This change causes a re-synch, which causes the projector to loose the image. I am now using component without issue, but would like to get the HDMI working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1912 Old 06-17-2006, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by plazman View Post

Obviously wasn't being enforced very well

The no BD movie sales is being enforced locally until tuesday....but I found six Samsungs at one BB..and two others that also had six players for sale...all of which were put on the shelf just today.

CC also had movies ...but will not sell until tuesday.
post #93 of 1912 Old 06-17-2006, 04:10 PM

Good to see some reviews beside the \\'sexy package box\\'.

plazman,
You are talking about X1 that is priced at $800.
This can be misleading as for some this may look like you are comparing $800 X1 to $999 Samsung.
It is important to note that Toshiba HD-A1 ($500) and HD-X1 are same beside the motorized door and remote - for sure differences that are not important for most people.
post #94 of 1912 Old 06-17-2006, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ian B View Post

Thanks for the info. The block message displays for about 5-10 seconds and then it disappears and the receiver takes over and decodes the 5.1 audio. So far, I have watched most of Batman Begins and it looks good at times, not during the initial scenes. I am about to watch the movie on my Toshiba HD-A1 to compare and then post some results.

Ian B

After watching Batman Begins on the Samsung and Toshiba I found the picture a bit softer on the outdoor scenes on the Samsung. The dark black scenes and close-up shots looked almost identical in depth, detail and texture. All in all I am pleased with the Samsung for sd dvd just as much as the Toshiba A-1. I really don't care which format wins, It's a win-win for me as I want as much HD movies as possible.

Also, if you pause the sd dvd movie, after 5 minutes the Samsung screensaver will come on. Just hit play and the movies picks up where you left off.

Question for those who have played a BD movie already. How does the stop/resume function work? Does it pick up where you left off or, does it start from the beginning like the HD-DVDs?

Thanks,

Ian B
post #95 of 1912 Old 06-17-2006, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfgmdporsc View Post

I have my Samsung but cannot get it to output digital coax while hooked up with the HDMI cable to my TV. What gives? Does the HDMI output disable the regular digital coax DD and DTS bitstream output? Help!

Rafael

Go into the player's menu and audio set-up. Change it from pcm to bitsream and you should get DD and DTS outputted from your receiver. You will get a message on your tv screen stating that it does not support this audio but, after 5-10 seconds it will go away.

Ian B
post #96 of 1912 Old 06-17-2006, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Sutliff View Post

One more observation:

The Samsung doesn't pass BTB via component on my display when using DIGITAL VIDEO ESSENTIALS. I would be curious to see what others say about this.

In 12-1 on Digital Video Essentials I can see the third outer black bar under component but not under HDMI to DVI.

On Avia Pro Monoticity steps I can see 1-15 under component but not under HDMI to DVI.
post #97 of 1912 Old 06-17-2006, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser28 View Post

Can you turn the blue lights off during play?
This is a dealbreaker for me. I don't want to get this player and have to look at the blue lights.

This is a joke right??

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #98 of 1912 Old 06-17-2006, 11:10 PM

Quote:

3. Upconversion to 1080i was also very good. I tried to switch back and forth between my XA-1 and the Samsung to compare, but I have to declare this department a tie. I was very impressed with the Samsung, moreso because in the past I have bought some of the worst DVD players (inlcluding one upconverting one) from Samsung. The performance of the Samsung (IMHO) was as good as anything.

Quote:

Excellent all round performance so far with SD DVD content - whether at 480p or upconverted to 1080i.

Quote:

My display is 1365 X 768 (Panasonic 8UK plasma).

Huh? You've been giving us comparisons based on a display that can't even SEE 1080i?
post #99 of 1912 Old 06-18-2006, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm with Tango22, you giving HD picture quality reviews with that set is rediculious, stick with standard dvd.

I'm not saying the Panasonic is a terrible set. I'm sure it's nice. But, how on earth can you comment on 1080i quality when you can't even see it. Wow!

Plazman, go buy a set than can at least display 1080i and then maybe you will be taken seriously when you comment on 1080i quality. Just a thought....
post #100 of 1912 Old 06-18-2006, 12:27 AM

Well, I saw the blu-ray player for the first time today displayed and played a blu-ray movie on it. The movie was 5th Element and it didn't seem any better than the hd-dvd. Both units were tested on the Samsung LNS4692 lcd. (720p display unfortunately.) I'm not videophile, and I didn't really have much time to look. I wanted to test Terminator, and House of Flying Daggers, but we have a limit how many copies we can store use.

Blu-ray is a bit faster, to start up compared to hd-dvd. It does add extra loading time here and there though. For example when watching "The Last Samurai" in hd-dvd, one can press menu and it'll have a menu pop up at the bottom while pausing the movie. Blu-Ray on the other hand will have a windows hourglass come up to load for about 10 seconds, then switch to a complete new screen of the menu of the blu-ray dvd.

Also if someone accidently press the wrong player menu language such as French of Spanish when it first turns on, just soft reset it and change it back to English. Unplugging it didn't work.

replying to the angry guy that can't get his blu-ray, well, it's just some people enforce the street date, some people don't. 6/20 is the official release date of blu-ray movies, most BB's already have them, they're just in boxes in the back. I guess that manager just assumed they start selling together.

just my quick 2 cents

Plasma/LCD economy: http://www.witsview.com/
post #101 of 1912 Old 06-18-2006, 12:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Tango22 and trgraphics,

One of the reasons why you may want to feed your television a 1080i signal rather than its more native resolution (in this case 720p) is due to the internal design of the scaler. For example, my Panasonic TH-42PX50U produces a much sharper image when using 1080i, as opposed to 720p (its native).
post #102 of 1912 Old 06-18-2006, 12:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampfer View Post

Blu-ray is a bit faster, to start up compared to hd-dvd. It does add extra loading time here and there though. For example when watching "The Last Samurai" in hd-dvd, one can press menu and it'll have a menu pop up at the bottom while pausing the movie. Blu-Ray on the other hand will have a windows hourglass come up to load for about 10 seconds, then switch to a complete new screen of the menu of the blu-ray dvd.

Press the "Pop Up Menu" button instead of the "Disc Menu". The "Pop Up Menu" brings up a blade, which is designed much like that of HD-DVD titles.

Quote:

Also if someone accidently press the wrong player menu language such as French of Spanish when it first turns on, just soft reset it and change it back to English. Unplugging it didn't work.

This is listed in the manual several times. One thing you have to remember is that if you do a reset, all of your settings will be reverted to factory default.
post #103 of 1912 Old 06-18-2006, 12:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Perhaps this isn't the right thread for my question, but repeating an earlier post, how does the Samsung handle slo-mo and frame by frame playback on HD disks? I would certainly expect any machine to just "play" a disk, but I want to know how the other features are relative to what we're used to with DVD.
post #104 of 1912 Old 06-18-2006, 01:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Tango22 and trgraphics,

One of the reasons why you may want to feed your television a 1080i signal rather than its more native resolution (in this case 720p) is due to the internal design of the scaler. For example, my Panasonic TH-42PX50U produces a much sharper image when using 1080i, as opposed to 720p (its native).

I'm, sure your right. The better the source the better the picture. But, you wouldn't make statements about the quality or lack thereof of 1080i when you set is not capable of displaying it, would you?

Like I said, I'm sure it looks good.But it is not displaying the capabilities of the players. How can you say 1080i looks good or bad when all your seeing is 1365 x768p not 1920x1080? That is a fairly big difference in resolution. At least to my eyes.
post #105 of 1912 Old 06-18-2006, 01:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trgraphics View Post

I'm, sure your right. The better the source the better the picture. But, you wouldn't make statements about the quality or lack thereof of 1080i when you set is not capable of displaying it, would you?

plazman may have his reasons to do so, and he is more than capable of defending his results.

What is most important to me is that you run the same tests on the same test bed (television) under the same conditions (cable, resolution, disc, calibration, and so forth). As long as there is no gross neglagence in terms of testing, I frankly don't care what conclusions are derives.

Quote:

Like I said, I'm sure it looks good.But it is not displaying the capabilities of the players. How can you say 1080i looks good or bad when all your seeing is 1365 x768p not 1920x1080? That is a fairly big difference in resolution. At least to my eyes.

Yes, there is a huge difference in raw pixels, but the contention is not really 1080i as 1080i, but rather 1080i as a means of transporting the video. The comparions were made in the same configurations, which to me is the most important aspect.

Should he run the tests again at 720p, yes. The more data you have, the more information you have to pool together to make a more informed decision.

However, one thing we have to remember, is that not every user will have a 1080i/1080p display. As such, it is important to test the abilities of these units in all aspects, and not just the "optimal".
post #106 of 1912 Old 06-18-2006, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango22 View Post

Huh? You've been giving us comparisons based on a display that can't even SEE 1080i?

That's funny! Why do you suppose I cannot even SEE 1080i?

I try not to be a fanboy and report as I see it as a regular 'non-technical' consumer. I will be the first to admit I don't know how to spot a chroma bug or bad edit or other such things while watching a movie. My observations are based on a decently well calibrated top tier (IMHO) 50 inch plasma. If your set-up is different then it may not apply to you.

If your question is (based on the portions of my review you pulled out) do I believe the Samsung is a better overall player than the XA-1? I'd say no! Not based on what I have seen so far. Not even if they both cost the same.

The Tosh XA-1 is not a better option compared to the Samsung because it is cheaper. It is better period (even when I consider the additional load times)!

Last night while watching Memoirs of a Geisha the Samsung froze at the menu screen and had to be unplugged from the power supply to stop, eject, clean and replay. So freezing it appears is not a Tosh speciality and the Samsung is not immune from it either! FWIW I have never had a freeze that required a hard reset on my XA-1.
post #107 of 1912 Old 06-18-2006, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ian B View Post

How does the stop/resume function work? Does it pick up where you left off or, does it start from the beginning like the HD-DVDs?

Thanks,

Ian B

You should try pause/return instead of stop/resume, pause/return are the functions on the Toshibas you want.

k
post #108 of 1912 Old 06-18-2006, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trgraphics View Post

Are you expecting different results say Riddick vs 5th Element if the reviewer had a native 1080P unit? IMO what you are suggesting here is borderline crazy. There is a very very very strong chance the results will remain the same on a 1080P unit as they are on a 720P or 768P unit and we won't even get into which fixed format dominates the landscape. I can only assume I'm missing the point on this one.
post #109 of 1912 Old 06-18-2006, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Of course I expect different results from a 720p display versus a 1080p display. I guess maybe I am crazy.
post #110 of 1912 Old 06-18-2006, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

But to the point results flip-flop based on display panel resolution? (which is what I'm alluding to as well as yourself, content on the same panel either 7xxP or 1080P then compared between HD DVD vs BR, not 720P HD DVD vs 1080P BR, that is just silly) I haven't seen anyone state this yet, where they are seeing different results on one fixed panel standard versus another.

For example HD DVD is sharper with 7xxP units over BR where BR looks sharper on 1080P units then does HD DVD. I haven't heard anything like this yet, yes it still is early, but I'm getting a feeling someone has done this already and their review was basically the same we've all been seeing so far and if no one has done this yet then my gut say that will be the case, it scales...

The only thing I recall in this area and really it's not too related at all, is that a 1080i feed looks as good on a 1080P display as a 1080P feed does on a 1080P display and it's one of those over-hyped situations.
post #111 of 1912 Old 06-18-2006, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

That's funny! Why do you suppose I cannot even SEE 1080i?

Because you said your TV has 768 lines of vertical resolution, 1080i has 1080 lines of vertical resolution, and 768 is less than 1080.

Greg Lee
post #112 of 1912 Old 06-18-2006, 04:17 PM

I got all excited to hear that the Samsung BD player was out that I rushed to my local BB to check it out. Well, it was there all right. The only problem was they were setting it up to a 32" LCD, can't remember which model, with no 1080P input. I said I would wait anyway to see what the deal was, they replied with, but we have no blu-ray disc to play. Jeez, you figure Samsung would have at least a demo disc to show off their player. Watta bummer. We the wait continues.
post #113 of 1912 Old 06-18-2006, 05:39 PM

Location: Little Elm, TX ---- Optoma HD70, 106" DIY screen, DTV HR10250, PIO VSX54TX, Monster Power HTS5000, Polk Speakers and Velodyne Sub, Xbox 360 w/HD Addon
Just a reminder for the 1080p advocates. A lot of the 1080p sets only upconvert to 1080p and will not except a 1080p signal. Yes, there are a few units out there that do, but I would venture to guess that it is less than 5% of the HD sets in households currently. So, in reality, someone giving a review of BD vs. HD on a 720p set or 1080i set will probably be more useful than speaking about the theoretical PQ of a 1080p set. And also, maybe I missed the release, but the 1080p DLP sets are not true 1080p chips unless you count "wobbling" as true 1080p. And finally, PQ is subjective in the first place at this level, some will see a difference that blows them away while others may or may not see a slight difference. Also, until we have a disc from both sides recorded with the same specs, it will be hard to make a valid comparison except when using specialized testing equipment like Sspears uses.

Kemical

war--> peace--> freedom--> war--> peace--> freedom
post #114 of 1912 Old 06-18-2006, 05:43 PM

Location: Little Elm, TX ---- Optoma HD70, 106" DIY screen, DTV HR10250, PIO VSX54TX, Monster Power HTS5000, Polk Speakers and Velodyne Sub, Xbox 360 w/HD Addon
On a different subject, has anyone found if BD does the same with audio as HD does on the optical or coax output? HD was redoing the DD audio as DTS to output it through the optical or coaxial out and i was wondering if the Samsung did this also.

Thanks,
Kemical

war--> peace--> freedom--> war--> peace--> freedom
post #115 of 1912 Old 06-18-2006, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Not sure I qualify as a user just yet.
I do like the looks of the player better than the HD-A1...although that players not bad looking either.
I do think this player is more responsive, faster loading ect....but the d*mm player refuses to sync with my Optoma h-78 via hdmi/dvi at any resolution for more than a few seconds of the start up screen

I will wait a day or two, and see what Samsung has to say about this before bringing it back as yet another not ready for prime time HD player.

One thing I will not do is apologize or make excuses for either formats player flaws.
post #116 of 1912 Old 06-18-2006, 06:32 PM

OK, sorry to bring this up again but I still cannot get the digital output on the Samsung to work if I use the HDMI output. Since my TV is a TV and not a monitor, the HDMI setting will not let me pick monitor so it trys to send the audio out to the HDMI but can't. Anyway, sorry to be a pain but I need someone else to try the digital output. I gave up and just hooked up the analog 5.1 since I am only using the BD player for BD and am using the Tosh for SD and HD-DVD.

Rafael
post #117 of 1912 Old 06-18-2006, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I just returned mine. The reason? or reasons I should say?

Poor HD video quality compared to Toshiba HD-DVD (which I sold to a friend) for $500.00 more.
Poor SD Upconversion than HD-DVD for $500.00 more
Poor remote response and $500.00 more than the Toshiba HD-DVD player.
Noisy CD playback which is just as bad as the Toshiba HD-DVD player. Again, costs $500.00 more for the same skill at playing CDs.

What I did like about the Sammy: It booted up faster, about 19 seconds faster. Other than that, nothing.
Please bring on the second generation DUAL FORMAT disk players. If LG can pull it off, I am in. I would be willing to pay $2000.00 for it as long as it has the following:

Fast Boot Up Time: 10 Seconds
Extremely responsive remote
HDMI that works flawlessly: Version 1.3 that has been tested and certified
BR that has dual layers
BR with Dolby True HD and DTS-HD in 7.1 lossless
HD-DVD with Dolby True HD and DTS-HD in 7.1 lossless
BR Disks that use VC-1
Oh and the most important thing we need, CONTENT. Good CONTENT
BSG, Bond, Star Wars, LOTRs, Star Trek, and so on.
post #118 of 1912 Old 06-18-2006, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

^ I see you'll be out for good while then and LG the monster they are really has their work cut out for themselves. But you've done it you have bought and returned a product before it's actual street date! I'm in no way disagreeing with your conclusion.
post #119 of 1912 Old 06-18-2006, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintit77 View Post

I just returned mine. The reason? or reasons I should say?

Poor HD video quality compared to Toshiba HD-DVD (which I sold to a friend) for $500.00 more.
Poor SD Upconversion than HD-DVD for $500.00 more
Poor remote response and $500.00 more than the Toshiba HD-DVD player.
Noisy CD playback which is just as bad as the Toshiba HD-DVD player. Again, costs $500.00 more for the same skill at playing CDs.

What I did like about the Sammy: It booted up faster, about 19 seconds faster. Other than that, nothing.
Please bring on the second generation DUAL FORMAT disk players. If LG can pull it off, I am in. I would be willing to pay $2000.00 for it as long as it has the following:

Fast Boot Up Time: 10 Seconds
Extremely responsive remote
HDMI that works flawlessly: Version 1.3 that has been tested and certified
BR that has dual layers
BR with Dolby True HD and DTS-HD in 7.1 lossless
HD-DVD with Dolby True HD and DTS-HD in 7.1 lossless
BR Disks that use VC-1
Oh and the most important thing we need, CONTENT. Good CONTENT
BSG, Bond, Star Wars, LOTRs, Star Trek, and so on.

Agreed, 100%

I bought the Blu-ray player and intended to keep it, provided it was superior to my HD DVD player. It isn't... in any way except boot time. Even then, the difference isn't that big.

By the time they have some decent quality discs (using BD50 and/or mpeg4 codecs), the players will have dropped by a few hundred dollars.
post #120 of 1912 Old 06-18-2006, 09:27 PM

I think reaction to the Samsung blu-ray player release is unfortunate. I will consider Sony's player (to be introduced in August) the "real" blu-ray introduction. If Sony can't improve on the Samsung's reported shortcomings, there may be a real shift in sentiment to HD-DVD. Remember, so far only us Geeks are buying this stuff.

TA
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd P1000 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page