Samsung Blu-ray BDP-1000 - First End User Reports - OWNERS ONLY! - Page 64 - AVS Forum
First ... 62  63  64
Blu-ray Players > Samsung Blu-ray BDP-1000 - First End User Reports - OWNERS ONLY!
TrevorS's Avatar TrevorS 08:02 PM 06-02-2010
Hold it gang -- I really don't believe I'm the only one here still enjoying BD films on a BD-P1000, even if it isn't your primary player! Come on now, identify yourselves .

Who still spins BD on a BD-P1000 at least some of the time (vacation home or whatever)?

lujan's Avatar lujan 06:32 AM 06-03-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorS View Post

Hold it gang -- I really don't believe I'm the only one here still enjoying BD films on a BD-P1000, even if it isn't your primary player! Come on now, identify yourselves .

Who still spins BD on a BD-P1000 at least some of the time (vacation home or whatever)?

I gave my BD-P1000 to my Mom and brother (I know they'll probably hate me for it) but they haven't used it yet because they haven't bought or rented a blu-ray movie yet.
Paul H's Avatar Paul H 09:22 AM 06-03-2010
Quote:

My son gave me my BD-P1000 back. He said it won't play any current BD discs or any that have Java software embedded on the disc.
My daughter and son-in-law want a BD player, but passed on the my offer to give them the unit.

Paying full price, I feel I got burnt by the company. When I think of Samsung now, I think of lack of consumer product support. Guess that is why I will not consider a Samsung 3D player or Flat panel.

Paul
lujan's Avatar lujan 09:33 AM 06-03-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post

Paying full price, I feel I got burnt by the company. When I think of Samsung now, I think of lack of consumer product support. Guess that is why I will not consider a Samsung 3D player or Flat panel.

Paul

Thank God I only paid $579.00 for mine but it was still a lot of money back then. I'm just the impatient type that likes to buy the bleeding edge type of technology and it was the very first blu-ray player out. I also got a BD-P1400 but will not buy another Samsung blu-ray player.
Cyberclaw77's Avatar Cyberclaw77 09:48 AM 06-03-2010
I tried downloading the firmware update, and it keeps timing out for me as well. Geez, you would think that they would have fixed it by now. I've given up on Samsung. They just lost a customer for life.
TrevorS's Avatar TrevorS 11:57 AM 06-03-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberclaw77 View Post

I tried downloading the firmware update, and it keeps timing out for me as well. Geez, you would think that they would have fixed it by now. I've given up on Samsung. They just lost a customer for life.

For support, I used "live chat" (http://www.samsung.com/us/info/contactus.html), but there's also phone 1-800-726-7864. (Time-out again for email .) Have your serial number handy and explain the problem -- I'd expect them to send you a disc like they did with me.
ChrisW6ATV's Avatar ChrisW6ATV 08:07 PM 06-07-2010
I bought my BD-P1000 for US$400 the day the Playstation 3 was released and I decided it was time to have both HD disc formats. Now, the machine is in its original box as a collectors' item, next to my Toshiba HD-A1.

I just downloaded the firmware update using the direct link in TrevorS's post #1884. I had no problem doing so.
TrevorS's Avatar TrevorS 08:25 PM 06-07-2010
Must be nice! I just read your post and tried again -- continued lack of dice !
Leterface's Avatar Leterface 03:33 PM 07-14-2010
Quote:

Must be nice! I just read your post and tried again -- continued lack of dice !

I tried yesterday and today and now the download seems to work fine.
TrevorS's Avatar TrevorS 04:27 PM 07-14-2010
You must use a different download center, I just had their download page (US) timeout again three times in a row.
ChrisW6ATV's Avatar ChrisW6ATV 09:39 PM 07-20-2010
If you still cannot download the file, I could burn a disc and send it to you.
TrevorS's Avatar TrevorS 11:27 AM 07-21-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post

If you still cannot download the file, I could burn a disc and send it to you.

Thanks awfully for volunteering that -- very good of you ! I ended up getting a copy directly from Samsung support, but this is the first time I've been unable to download updates (neither UP5000 nor BDP1000) and it just seems very peculiar -- I can still download from other companies and so why not anymore with Samsung (rhetorical question)? So, when someone reports success, I try yet again .
venejo's Avatar venejo 03:02 PM 07-27-2010
Well as i said before i gave this player to my sister which she's not using it at all. I tried to open it yesterday to update it to 2.2 f/w and it started to load but even though i could see the blue bluray logo and the round multi-key light up the LCD display was not showing anything, "wait" or "open". The unit was not responding to anything, so i pull the plug. After that the red standby light was continiously flashing fast. I call at the service center and they told me to pull the mains and let it lots of minutes out but i had already done that leaving the machine without power for 20 hours. So i turned the unit to the service and today they called me back and told me that the power supply board needed an exchange with a new one. All that cost me 55euros +23% vat 67 euros in total. apparently when the unit stays unused it gathers a lot of power that's why they told me that i should at least open/use the unit for 5 minutes a month....!
Anyway i will pickup the unit tomorrow and since my sister is not using it so much she will keep it without the mains connected, only when she's gonna use it she will put the plug in the wall. The damn thing is that i bought this unit when it come out for about 1400 euros and it's not used so far for more than 50 play hours so far, it's still brand new.
luigionlsd's Avatar luigionlsd 10:37 AM 08-06-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post

My son gave me my BD-P1000 back. He said it won't play any current BD discs or any that have Java software embedded on the disc.
My daughter and son-in-law want a BD player, but passed on the my offer to give them the unit.

Paul

In this exact base, but I paid around $400 for the BD-P1000. Wouldn't consider another Samsung player or display!

You could recommend updating to the latest "Avatar" FW update, which should solve a few discs. I know the Firefly set wouldn't play, but I haven't tried since updating to the April 2010 update. Currently using my Panasonic BD35!
TrevorS's Avatar TrevorS 08:51 PM 02-14-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by luigionlsd View Post

In this exact base, but I paid around $400 for the BD-P1000. Wouldn't consider another Samsung player or display!

You could recommend updating to the latest "Avatar" FW update, which should solve a few discs. I know the Firefly set wouldn't play, but I haven't tried since updating to the April 2010 update. Currently using my Panasonic BD35!

Hah! Was finally able to download rev2.2 from Samsung . That April 9,2010 release is the only one I see since Feb 29,2008, so I'm guessing that's the Avatar fix. Did I miss any?
ChrisW6ATV's Avatar ChrisW6ATV 09:26 PM 02-17-2011
It should not matter if you "missed" other firmware updates. Each update released also has the changes from previous updates included.
TrevorS's Avatar TrevorS 03:36 PM 02-19-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post

It should not matter if you "missed" other firmware updates. Each update released also has the changes from previous updates included.

I'm aware that each release "builds" on the previous, but when the "build" loses something that was previously there, having the previous release on hand can be very useful ! I'm just trying to find out whether or not I have all the incremental releases.
TrevorS's Avatar TrevorS 08:41 PM 05-20-2011
Don't know if there are still people on this site that own a Samsung BD-P1000, but if there are, a new firmware version was released in April of this year (2011) -- version 110324. If you're unable to download it (my first tries failed, but it seems they were having server issues and I later succeeded), they'll send you a copy if you alert them to the problem.
Graham Johnson's Avatar Graham Johnson 09:41 PM 05-20-2011
Awesome. I still use mine. Thanks for that.

It plays most anything these days. Slow as a wet week but it plays
Graham Johnson's Avatar Graham Johnson 09:46 PM 05-20-2011
BTW if anyone wants any parts out of a BDP-1000. I have a dud US spec one here with a trashed bluray pickup. Still plays DVD's fine.

I am also looking for a 240V power supply so if anyone in Europe, Asia or Australia has a trashed set I can get the power supply out of. Can you send me a PM ??
TrevorS's Avatar TrevorS 11:12 AM 05-21-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Johnson View Post

Awesome. I still use mine. Thanks for that.

It plays most anything these days. Slow as a wet week but it plays

I still have my two and they work fine generally, but I get inconvenient scene repeat behavior with both "Watchmen" and most recently with "HP and the Deathly Hallows I". I'm wondering if this corrects that, but don't know yet. Just picked up a Panasonic 110 and it wins the contest, but I still like the BD-P1000, sort of the elder statesman effect, I guess !

Given it's about to be five years since the player was introduced, I'm suspecting this'll be the last update (end of support life).
luigionlsd's Avatar luigionlsd 12:39 AM 08-12-2012
I actually broke mine out of storage recently, with the intent of loaning it to my dad to watch Game of Thrones S01

Luckily I tested it before passing it off to him... took literally 5 minutes to get to the main menu of one of the discs, only to find that the selection portion of the menu is completely missing any requisite text (it's a blue bar near the top-left of the screen that has the options to play the disc)

Considering there is no way to 'override' that, the player is basically useless. I've tried contacting Samsung customer support, but their suggestions were to reboot the player, run the factory reset (hold FF on the front panel for 5 seconds), and reboot the player. They didn't offer to do anything at all. Like most of you, I wouldn't ever consider another Samsung product.
Tags: Samsung Bd P1000 Blu Ray Disc Player
First ... 62  63  64

Up
Mobile  Desktop