Samsung Blu-ray BDP-1000 - First End User Reports - OWNERS ONLY! - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1912 Old 06-21-2006, 12:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Compared to what? HD-DVD, SD DVD, Cable Box, PC?

At multiple levels :

1. It was the worst of the three displays we tried it on. We had a new 46" LCD from NEC (industrial units) with 720p/760p resolution. 1080i looked bad on this, really bad but I blame that on the scalar in the display. 720p was decent because it filtered out some of the artifacts. The Qualia 005 LCD though, was ruthless in 1080i mode. Fifth Element simply was not watchable. We had people scream about how bad it was as soon as they walked in. Mind you, this is a 46" LCD so it is easy to stand right next to it and criticize the picture. But on the same set, HD DVD does superbly and outdistanced the Penny HD plasma for the most part.

2. Compared to any other HD source. I wrote a review of the Sony LCD with HD cable, D-VHS, etc. a while back in the flat panel forum. I have never seen such bad HD video come out of LCD until I played the BD movies on it. Yes, I am biased. But this goes well beyond that. The images just don't look natural beyond being full of artifacts. We did a side by side of Fifth element superbit and the images just look more normal in superbit. Yes, there are moments of high-res imagery in BD discs but they quickly vanish and one is facing pretty bad looking stuff on this display. I suspect the Sony MPEG-2 encoder is doing temporal filtering, causing the image quality to vary and become artificial at times.

So net, net, I recommend if you are a BD fan, use a 720p. That filters out some of the artifacts and makes the picture somewhat more pleasing. Don't plug it into a 1080 LCD or you will be disappointed. The Rruby is a bit of an exception in that at 10 feet, the image was pleasing. But closer examination showed all the problems above, but not as clearly.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1912 Old 06-21-2006, 01:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 170
There we go, I new you could do it!

And still no update on my Optoma synch problem. I am almost tempted to drive to Optoma's building in the East Bay and hand them the Samsung BD-P1000 and see what they can't get out of it.

Or, I use my VP30 as a transport, but I don't trust it with HD material.
post #183 of 1912 Old 06-21-2006, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Amir,

to be fair,

you're not seeing how bad *BD* is... you're seeing how bad Sony's use of MPEG2 compression (and general mastering) in a 25 gig space is!

Let's get VC1 on BD and soon...

1080p and lossless audio. EVERY BD should have them both.
post #184 of 1912 Old 06-21-2006, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Ok, so this is my first post ever, normally I just read the post, but this is to exciting to sit on the sidelines. I am the owner of a Custom A/V store in panama city, fl. I got a Samsung Blu-ray player last night. I also have the Toshiba HD-DVD player. I had to purchase the Blu-ray player from Best buy because Samsung is only releasing product to the national retailers. Even as much as it pained me to pay retail for this product I just couldnt wait!!!

I havnt had to much time to compare the 2 products, more to come on that hopefully tomorrow, but I can say that the picture quality, at first glance at least, is what I hoped it would be. My display device is the Sony VPL-VW100 projector on a 135" screen. I have almost all the HD-DVD movies that have already been released. As for Blu-ray I picked up 5th element, XXX, and Underworld Evolution.

So since i havnt had enought time to really comment spicifically on picture quality, it is very easy to say that the Samsung player is much faster and more responsive than the Toshiba.

More to come and ill try to get some pictures of image quality tonight!!!
post #185 of 1912 Old 06-21-2006, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post

Amir,

to be fair,

you're not seeing how bad *BD* is... you're seeing how bad Sony's use of MPEG2 compression (and general mastering) in a 25 gig space is!

This is what Sony gave us. I think complaining is fair. Actually it is an embarrasment. Can you imagine if there wasnt a format war?

I do think picture quality will improve over time (it cant get worse...), and probably equal HD DVD. It could be a moot point because how many people are going to give BD a second chance as long as there is such a significant price premium?
post #186 of 1912 Old 06-21-2006, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccool96 View Post

Ok, so this is my first post ever, normally I just read the post, but this is to exciting to sit on the sidelines. I am the owner of a Custom A/V store in panama city, fl. I got a Samsung Blu-ray player last night. I also have the Toshiba HD-DVD player. I had to purchase the Blu-ray player from Best buy because Samsung is only releasing product to the national retailers. Even as much as it pained me to pay retail for this product I just couldnt wait!!!

I havnt had to much time to compare the 2 products, more to come on that hopefully tomorrow, but I can say that the picture quality, at first glance at least, is what I hoped it would be. My display device is the Sony VPL-VW100 projector on a 135" screen. I have almost all the HD-DVD movies that have already been released. As for Blu-ray I picked up 5th element, XXX, and Underworld Evolution.

So since i havnt had enought time to really comment spicifically on picture quality, it is very easy to say that the Samsung player is much faster and more responsive than the Toshiba.

You should consider yourself lucky if you think BD equals HD DVD picture quality. I wish I couldnt see the difference either...
post #187 of 1912 Old 06-21-2006, 02:10 PM

Quote:

Amir,

to be fair,

Yes. BD on VC-1. How hard can that decision be?
post #188 of 1912 Old 06-21-2006, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew P View Post

It could be a moot point because how many people are going to give BD a second chance as long as there is such a significant price premium?

Because prices will go down while content will go up. As long as Blu-ray has titles which can't be watched on HD-DVD, there will be a market.

The damaging part is that DVD is still a viable alternative, so if your Sony/MGM films remain exclusive to Blu-ray, you can just watch the DVDs and upscale them on the HD-DVD player.
post #189 of 1912 Old 06-21-2006, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Because prices will go down while content will go up. As long as Blu-ray has titles which can't be watched on HD-DVD, there will be a market.

The damaging part is that DVD is still a viable alternative, so if your Sony/MGM films remain exclusive to Blu-ray, you can just watch the DVDs and upscale them on the HD-DVD player.

I don't know if Toshiba/DVD Forum was smart enough to actually do this intentionally, but the fact that the Tosh is one hell of an upconverting player really hammers this point home and takes the wind out of the sails of the "content" argument...BUT, no matter how good it looks upconverted, I would still prefer getting a true HD version
post #190 of 1912 Old 06-21-2006, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Is BD25 part of BD the format?

Is MPEG2 part of the BD format?

Are titles released for the OFFICIAL BD launch not MPEG2 encoded titles on BD25 media?

Why all this back-pedaling and making convenient excuses for Sony/BDA, nail these guys to the wall on this...they need to get this message loud and clear!
post #191 of 1912 Old 06-21-2006, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Prices will go down for both formats. Once again, which studios have announced release dates for BD?? Let me know when there is an offical release from Fox or Disney.

Until then, this is another Sony promise. How many chances do you give them?
post #192 of 1912 Old 06-21-2006, 02:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post

BUT, no matter how good it looks upconverted, I would still prefer getting a true HD version

Which brings me to point 2: encoding maturity.

Right now, we only have films from Sony to judge the quality of Blu-ray technology, and their encodes are highly suspect. There is a review from Crash (Lion's Gate) which illustrates the same errors of the current releases.

However, what remains to be seen, or known at least, is how the Blu-ray encodes will look 6 months or 12 months from now. The issues which are plaguing the launch may be a moot point by then, or may still be a problem due to defective designs built into Blu-ray.

I personally can wait several years for the tides to subside, revealing the true next generation format of choice.
post #193 of 1912 Old 06-21-2006, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccool96 View Post

Got any summer job openings ???

b2b

"Listen, You Pencil Neck Geeks.." 'Classy' Freddie Blassie ~ 1918-2003
A Toshiba spokesman, said that "from an engineer's point of view, the Blu-ray is a masterpiece.."
post #194 of 1912 Old 06-21-2006, 02:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew P View Post

Prices will go down for both formats.

Never contended. As prices fall for both formats, the gap between their price points will deminish to the point where there is a bluring between price and performance.

Quote:
Once again, which studios have announced release dates for BD?? Let me know when there is an offical release from Fox or Disney.

While I am at it, I'll go see when the next releases are for Sony/MGM HD-DVD titles. This is a juvenile stab that is completely unwarrented, as no claims were made by me in terms of who and what is coming to Blu-ray.

On paper, studios are supporting Sony largely, but have not wrote off HD-DVD. We are not chrystal balls, so we can't determine which format will become the true content king. Right now we are hedging Blu-ray, but that doesn't mean it will be so in the future.

Quote:
Until then, this is another Sony promise. How many chances do you give them?

Am I allowed only one? Why can't I look for competition? Just because we (notice WE) are disappointed in the format, does not mean we can't will it to become better than it is. In one situation you kill the lame (a horse) and in others you try to save it (a human). Who are we to determine what Sony is?

Competition is always a good thing, as it instills the inspiration to be better than the rest.
post #195 of 1912 Old 06-21-2006, 02:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:

Amir,

to be fair,

Actually, Sony has been working on this MPEG-2 encoder for almost two years. The claimed to have some secret sauce on it that made MPEG-2 almost as good as new codecs.

What's more, about 3 months ago they got a bunch of reporters to a theater and supposedly showed them encodings of VC-1 against MPEG-2, proving that their encoder was even better than VC-1! They issued press releases to that effect and as late as last month, their executives in an LA DVD retailing conference that I gave the keynote at, claimed that MPEG-2 produces the best picture quality period. Never mind that they had never contacted us to encode VC-1 for them, nor do they have access to our professional tools. It is a clear case of drinking too much of your own Kool-Aid as we call it.

If they quietly done this work, not pumped their chest and gone against a decade of compression advancement, it would be one thing. But they knew this day would come so they would have to defend their MPEG-2 choice so they went on an offensive. Only now, it is backfiring on them.

Mind you, I think they made more mistakes than picking the wrong codec starting with absolutely horrible quality control. It is hard to imagine but some of their folks don't seem to understand what good picture is. Their first test this, Charlie's Angles that came out 9 months ago was full of compression artifacts. Other studios told them that their encodes were not acceptable below 25 Mbit/sec but they didn't believe it and called 18 Mbit/sec MPEG-2 transparent.

So I think it is fair. If not for Sony's sake, for the sake of hundreds of arguments I have had with people in this forum over MPEG-2 versus VC-1.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #196 of 1912 Old 06-21-2006, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I watched UNDERWORLD: EVOLUTION this afternoon, and I thought the transfer was very comparable to HD DVD. There was lots of sharpness, great color, no artifacts, definitely a huge improvement over the parts of XXX I watched yesterday. It's encouraging to know that at least this title looks good, hopefully there will be more titles like this and less like XXX in the weeks and months ahead.
post #197 of 1912 Old 06-21-2006, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Amir,

so, you're agreeing that the problem you're seeing is MPEG2 related and not "BD" per-se?

I share your frustration with Sony's arrogance. Though other BD titles (Terminator) seem to look more like HD DVD using VC1 than Sony's own BD titles!

Quote:
Is BD25 part of BD the format?

Is MPEG2 part of the BD format?

Is single-layer 15 gig part of the HD DVD format?
Is MPEG2 part of the HD DVD format?

Yes and Yes.

Quote:
Are titles released for the OFFICIAL BD launch not MPEG2 encoded titles on BD25 media?

Yes.

Quote:
Why all this back-pedaling and making convenient excuses for Sony/BDA, nail these guys to the wall on this...they need to get this message loud and clear!

Agreed.

I'm just pointing out the difference between a "format" and the implimentation on a format.

If someone released the 5th Element on HD DVD 15 gig single-layer using MPEG2, it would look even worse. But it wouldn't say a thing about HD DVD's potential or its quality... just a lowsy use of it.

post #198 of 1912 Old 06-21-2006, 03:08 PM

I have both the Toshiba HD DVD and Samsung players and I like them both. At least on my 50 inch Panasonic Plasma 500U I cannot really say the Toshiba is better than the Blu ray. Even the worst Blu Ray disk I have (Fifth Element) looks fairly good and I dont see any major type of video noise on it . I have to hold my head one foot from the Plasma to see the noise. On that title mainly what I see is occasional film grain irregularities that are on the original master transfer. A truly high definition player will of course make these irregularities even more prominent than on a standard def one.

I don't mean this as a troll but as someone with over 30 years experience as an engineer working in video I wonder whether some of the HD DVD folks have actually compared the players side by side in valid AB comparisons or they just come on here to bash blu-ray without ever really testing it. The only things Toshiba have going for it is a very SLIGHT improvement in up converted SD performance and several hundred dollars cheaper. I expect Blu Ray will end up dominating the format wars after Sony puts out 10 million Playstation 3s within the next few months so we had all better start getting used to it.
post #199 of 1912 Old 06-21-2006, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If someone released the 5th Element on HD DVD 15 gig single-layer using MPEG2, it would look even worse. But it wouldn't say a thing about HD DVD's potential or its quality... just a lowsy use of it.

They didnt do this though. They made the right decisions. They let the product speak for itself versus hype, marketing, etc.

Like I said im sure BD will look better because it cant get worse. The problem is that im tired of Sony's empty promises. Why should we believe the now? I think its a fair question.
post #200 of 1912 Old 06-21-2006, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Sure. If it was up to me Sony would have waited until fall and released BD fully realized.

Toshiba had their format out sooner so Sony made a marketing decision to try to get their out to close the gap. They should have either waited or been wiser with their title/mastering choices to debut Blu-ray.

However, HD DVDs limitation of 30 gigs is here to stay.

Sony's limitations of 25 gigs and MPEG2 will be rectified soon. If not, we'll all head over to HD DVD and learn to live with movies spread over 2 discs for our epic special editions.

Quote:

Why should we believe the now? I think its a fair question.

Other studios have managed to put out some BDs using MPEG2 and 25 gigs (Lions Gate for instance, check out Bill Hunts reviews) that look great. Screw Sony. They will bring VC1 and 50 gig to market not to make you and me happy that they deliver on their promises... they'll do that because they HAVE to in order to have Fox, Disney, and the other major studios even bother with their format at all. There's no ambiguity about this, and Sony is working overtime to bring those promises to market with or without AVS enthusiasts taking action.

post #201 of 1912 Old 06-21-2006, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes and Yes.

I'm just pointing out the difference between a "format" and the implimentation on a format.

my post wasn't meant as a flame or anything; yes of course hd dvd supports mpeg2 and single layer hd dvd, but that wasn't my point.

this is the official launch...while the deficiencies are being acknowledged, even by the staunchest of bd supporters, it also seems like everyone is once again making excuses or saying, but wait and see...

i personally haven't bought a single title released with single layer hd dvd (i.e., the hybrids) but nor have i personally viewed any; by end user accounts and professional reviews it seems that their pq is still up to snuff (i'm just taking a stance again 15gb sl )

but before this the mpeg2 v. vc-1 debate was very heated with bd supporters staunchly stating that mpeg2 was just fine...ah, but at a high enough bit rate, which then dictates the use of 50gb discs, which really is just a self-justifying attribute of bd. but until now no one would hear of people bemoaning bd's choice to go with mpeg2.

we don't really know when we are going to see bd50 discs and we don't really know when sony will give up on mpeg2 in favor of the advanced codecs...by all public accounts, even very recently in the launch articles, sony has basically stated that mpeg2 is what they will be using.

i just think we are being too soft on sony ...

also, i would imagine we'll be right back where we started from since i'm sure bda will eventually figure out how to fabricate bd50 with sufficient yields (boy if they don't it would be the screw-up of the century) and then everyone will once again be happy with mpeg2 b/c there is room to do a high bitrate encode...but then you effectively lose the space advantage again.

they either have to quickly get bd50 out or quickly switch to vc-1/avc, but the problem is they may not be able to do either of those quickly.

i will have to try to somehow see underworld and/or terminator...if these looked as good as hd dvd, then that is different story, but from what i saw of flying daggers, it was bad...
post #202 of 1912 Old 06-21-2006, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i will have to try to somehow see underworld and/or terminator...if these looked as good as hd dvd, then that is different story, but from what i saw of flying daggers, it was bad...

By all accounts, the two Sony titles are the WORST looking HD period.

Whereas Terminator and Underworld... and the two Lionsgate films (Crash and that other one) look excellent. Check out Bill Hunt's reviews over at the digital bits.

MPEG2 isn't ideal and VC1 is needed BADLY, but it seems that Sony may have also just plain botched their BD titles for whatever reason... MPEG2 or not.

post #203 of 1912 Old 06-21-2006, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

to be honest, i'm not sure this would be the case...5th element, vc-1 encoded on a single layer hd dvd might look spectacular...i wish we could actually get this for comparison.

and one other thing, regarding condemning a format for a bad implementation, while you are absolutely correct that that shouldn't happen, it is very hard for people not to do just that given all the hype that sony (i'm not going to say bda here since it really has been sony) pumped out there only to LAUNCH in this manner...
post #204 of 1912 Old 06-21-2006, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I offer this only as an observation since unless you are thinking about replacing your TV, you are likely making the right choice. That said, I have an HD DVD player streaming to my Qualia 006 and it looks great with HD DVD material. I own Apollo 13 on HD DVD and have watched it many, many times already; it looks great on my setup. I was in a Magnolia section of a local BB this past weekend and saw the Tosh XA1 connected to a 73" 1080p Mits; the disc in the player happened to be Apollo 13 (not sure why, maybe has to do with what they can publicly display with little kiddies likely roaming around ). Anyhow, it looked awful; very noisy picture...seemed like pixelization all over the screen.

In fact, now after I've seen the Sammy BD player playing Flying Daggers on a Samsung DLP, I would say it is possibly the same noisy picture. I wonder if Flying Daggers playing through a Sammy to my Qualia would look fine?

That is what I saw with the A1 connected to a Sammy ($9000) at my local BB/Magnolia playing Serenity. Noisy pixels dancing everywhere. I went back a second time with the spouse and even she said it looked like crap. I got the rep to bring out the remote and it was 1080, not 720 and I watched for about 15 mins.

Haven't been back to check out the Sammy BD players, once I realized that without a decent display, HD is not what's in the cards right now...

b2b

"Listen, You Pencil Neck Geeks.." 'Classy' Freddie Blassie ~ 1918-2003
A Toshiba spokesman, said that "from an engineer's point of view, the Blu-ray is a masterpiece.."
post #205 of 1912 Old 06-21-2006, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sure. If it was up to me Sony would have waited until fall and released BD fully realized.

Toshiba had their format out sooner so Sony made a marketing decision to try to get their out to close the gap. They should have either waited or been wiser with their title/mastering choices to debut Blu-ray.

However, HD DVDs limitation of 30 gigs is here to stay.

Sony's limitations of 25 gigs and MPEG2 will be rectified soon. If not, we'll all head over to HD DVD and learn to live with movies spread over 2 discs for our epic special editions.

Other studios have managed to put out some BDs using MPEG2 and 25 gigs (Lions Gate for instance, check out Bill Hunts reviews) that look great. Screw Sony. They will bring VC1 and 50 gig to market not to make you and me happy that they deliver on their promises... they'll do that because they HAVE to in order to have Fox, Disney, and the other major studios even bother with their format at all. There's no ambiguity about this, and Sony is working overtime to bring those promises to market with or without AVS enthusiasts taking action.

Our biggest difference is that I dont believe 30gb is a limitation. Bill really didnt review the movies, he gave two quick blurbs and no disrespect to Bill, but his movie reviews are not the most technical.
post #206 of 1912 Old 06-21-2006, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

to be honest, i'm not sure this would be the case...5th element, vc-1 encoded on a single layer hd dvd might look spectacular...i wish we could actually get this for comparison.

and one other thing, regarding condemning a format for a bad implementation, while you are absolutely correct that that shouldn't happen, it is very hard for people not to do just that given all the hype that sony (i'm not going to say bda here since it really has been sony) pumped out there only to LAUNCH in this manner...

Serenity is not the best example. Some scenes look amazing, while others are quite grainy.

The grain you are seeing is in the film itself... not because of the compression.

A couple of the early Blu-ray titles have the same problem (i.e. Fifth Element). House of Flying Daggers and xXx are solid prints, ruined by the compression.
post #207 of 1912 Old 06-21-2006, 04:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:

Amir,

so, you're agreeing that the problem you're seeing is MPEG2 related and not "BD" per-se?

I share your frustration with Sony's arrogance. Though other BD titles (Terminator) seem to look more like HD DVD using VC1 than Sony's own BD titles!

Yes and Yes.

Yes.

Agreed.

David,

Actually, there are 15 gig with VC-1 HD DVDs which look excellent. Check out Kris Deering's reviews of the HD DVD combos (15 gig). I know you were referring to MPEG2 with 15 gig, but just thought you'd like to read this if you haven't already.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum....html#Firewall

post #208 of 1912 Old 06-21-2006, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2bonez View Post

That is what I saw with the A1 connected to a Sammy ($9000) at my local BB/Magnolia playing Serenity. Noisy pixels dancing everywhere. I went back a second time with the spouse and even she said it looked like crap. I got the rep to bring out the remote and it was 1080, not 720 and I watched for about 15 mins.

Haven't been back to check out the Sammy BD players, once I realized that without a decent display, HD is not what's in the cards right now...

b2b

it may be a dlp issue...is the 1080p mits a "wobulator"?
post #209 of 1912 Old 06-21-2006, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

David,

Actually, there are 15 gig with VC-1 HD DVDs which look excellent. Check out Kris Deering's reviews of the HD DVD combos (15 gig). I know you were referring to MPEG2 with 15 gig, but just thought you'd like to read this if you haven't already.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum....html#Firewall

yeah, i've been seriously rethinking my decision not to buy the hybrids as recently as yesterday when i had KKBB in my hands and was going to take it to the counter and say screw it...but then i saw the price

oh, and i didn't catch that david b. was talking about an hd dvd release on sl disc using mpeg2...that just doesn't happen on hd dvd ...
post #210 of 1912 Old 06-21-2006, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earz View Post

This is the end users thread....not the looked at it at the crappy BB display thread....and was not impressed thread.
Nothing personal....but you are a perfect example of the unfair bashing....and either need to take one home.....or stay out of this thread.

Its always been this way for sd dvd players and all other sources.....so just because theres a so called format war (at leat on the net) does not mean non owners opinions are some how considered valid.

Really... what is the difference.
I ended up working with the staff to make sure it was set up properly. I had full autonomy with the unit for as long as I wanted. Sorry but I feel what I have to report is just as worth while as the next guy. Actually, how many of the "End Users" had access to 1080p tvs?
I am not bashing BD one way or the other. I have nothing at stake here as I own neither BD or HD-DVD.

Craig

Domino's donÂt fall all at once, they fall one at a time...
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd P1000 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page