post #181 of 197 Old 07-13-2006, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterS
5) According the a source at Best Buy, returns of BD-DVD are running above 50%, while they can't keep HD-DVD players in stock.
Is that national? or one store?

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 197 Old 07-13-2006, 09:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 132
50% of 4 total sold?? Lack of software? Who is this nameless source or is it some zealous HD DVD proponent? It's too early to declare an HD DVD knock out..

Who knows...All I know is the game doesn't start until Sony's player is available...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #183 of 197 Old 07-13-2006, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland

Who knows...All I know is the game doesn't start until Sony's player is available...
Yep, which is why there shouldn't be any Blu-Ray players out now, nor titles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Time for Blu to go mainstream.
post #184 of 197 Old 07-13-2006, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Yeah...so Sony keeps telling us.

Like it or not, it's started.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #185 of 197 Old 07-13-2006, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Gave up today and went ahead and bought the HD-DVD player. Reasons are as follows:

1) Current quality of HD-DVD is superior to BD-DVD (had the Samsung for a week).
2) Not expecting Sony to make mastering tools support VC-1 (as is HD-DVD) as Sony does not want to give money to Microsoft (who would be paid royalties).
3) Pricing of BD-DVD vs. HD-DVD is significant and creates a significant barrier for Sony's potential success.
4) The future success of the PS3 is in serious doubt (the Trojan Horse for BD-DVD) as most game-oriented publications are now predicting it will loose out to the XBox.
5) According the a source at Best Buy, returns of BD-DVD are running above 50%, while they can't keep HD-DVD players in stock.
6) Sony failed miserably with UMD movies - is BD-DVD part II?
7) Reports are that yields of DL 50gb BD-DVDs are well below acceptable levels for mastering. This will probably be into 2007.
8) Still no word from Pioneer regarding the output specs of their player!

Sorry - will keep an eye on the Pioneer player - but this thread has been too quiet for far too long for me to continue to hold out hope.
This is how I feel too and I also bought the Toshiba as a result. Since I got the Toshiba my mindset as changed, I will jump into Blu-Ray if they match HD-DVD image quality. Neither the Pioneer nor the Sony player wills achieved that without the addition of 50Gb disks. Finally I will only consider one of these two Blu-Ray players if I could also at the same time replace my Oppo970HD. Therefore, the pioneer player needs to output 480i for SD-DVD.
post #186 of 197 Old 07-13-2006, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Who is actually building Sony's player. Is it Pioneer?
post #187 of 197 Old 07-13-2006, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
All I know is the game doesn't start until Sony's player is available...
Nope... sorry. All the wishful thinking cant erase the "start"
http://www.thedvdwars.com/index.cfm

DVD's are about movies & people watch them in living rooms, how many people actually use their computer drives to sit and watch movies- Bluray's Andy Parsons
post #188 of 197 Old 07-13-2006, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinch

kind of surprised to see the average Blu-Ray title price to be below HD-DVD's. I remember reading speculation that HD-DVD's would be lower. Thanks for the link chinch :)
post #189 of 197 Old 07-13-2006, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey
kind of surprised to see the average Blu-Ray title price to be below HD-DVD's. I remember reading speculation that HD-DVD's would be lower. Thanks for the link chinch :)
Surprised? combo discs are obviously going to raise cost but for those of us on NETFLIX the price is irrelevant for either side. :) i'm quite confident anyone who purchcased or rented BRD titles thus far would have gladly paid a few bucks more for HD-DVD quality bluray software though :p

DVD's are about movies & people watch them in living rooms, how many people actually use their computer drives to sit and watch movies- Bluray's Andy Parsons
post #190 of 197 Old 07-13-2006, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
http://www.thedvdwars.com/index.cfm
Actually it can and it does.. The only buyers of either format are simply enthusiasts. And most enthusiasts would never buy anything Samsung. Moreover, ask the average consumer to explain HD DVD vs Blu Ray and they'll have no idea what you are talking about. It is too new and too niche. Relative to all the households, a fraction of a fraction of 1% of the consumer base has been tapped or can even give a somewhat compenent explanation of the technologies.. There are a lot more homes for each side to market to...10's of millions.. Don't rely on some bad BD titles, they'll improve.... (and look at the defective initial HD DVD titles: POTO, LS, etc.). Remember what the first CDs sounded like?

Let's see how things are come Christmas or next summer....but let's not pee our pants that the war is over before Blu Ray's inventor even releases their player.... :confused:

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #191 of 197 Old 07-13-2006, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 30
50% returns is from the two closest stores to me. Can't speak for all of Best Buy.

"That which can not be questioned, can not be trusted." - Me

- Affiliated
post #192 of 197 Old 07-13-2006, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Surprised? combo discs are obviously going to raise cost but for those of us on NETFLIX the price is irrelevant for either side. :) i'm quite confident anyone who purchcased or rented BRD titles thus far would have gladly paid a few bucks more for HD-DVD quality bluray software though :p
yup, surprised. I could care less about having combo discs on either format. Agreed on the NETFLIX comment though :)
post #193 of 197 Old 07-13-2006, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Actually it can and it does.. :
:
Um.... no.

The start is over. The race is on.

Now as AV enthusiasts lets all hope Bluray gets it's act together and releases quality software and gets prices in check with reality ASAP.

post #194 of 197 Old 07-13-2006, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Actually it can and it does.. The only buyers of either format are simply enthusiasts. And most enthusiasts would never buy anything Samsung. Moreover, ask the average consumer to explain HD DVD vs Blu Ray and they'll have no idea what you are talking about. It is too new and too niche. Relative to all the households, a fraction of a fraction of 1% of the consumer base has been tapped or can even give a somewhat compenent explanation of the technologies.. There are a lot more homes for each side to market to...10's of millions.. Don't rely on some bad BD titles, they'll improve.... (and look at the defective initial HD DVD titles: POTO, LS, etc.). Remember what the first CDs sounded like?

Let's see how things are come Christmas or next summer....but let's not pee our pants that the war is over before Blu Ray's inventor even releases their player.... :confused:
well said :) Though I don't 100% agree in regards to all Samsung products.. Though the last DVD upconverting playing didn't provide a good picture. Some of the Samsung LCD's look quite good (as far as LCD's standards are concerned)
post #195 of 197 Old 07-13-2006, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Um.... no.

The start is over. The race is on.

Now as AV enthusiasts lets all hope Bluray gets it's act together and releases quality software and gets prices in check with reality ASAP.
I don't think he meant it in the literal sense.. Kind of like watching a soccer game being a few minutes in some might say it really hasn't even started as the players typically haven't begun to find their rhythm, etc. ;)
post #196 of 197 Old 07-13-2006, 10:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 17
samsung will be the last on earth, I'll consider!! terrible company!
post #197 of 197 Old 07-13-2006, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The difference in PQ will not be the difference, but "judder" and other temporal issues will. All films shown on video at the moment suffer from this. A good 24 fps format would eliminate it.

Still waiting on an official answer...

And an official ship date...
Perhaps too little too late, and perhaps you have already seen this, and perhaps it's not official, but in doing a thread search for another reason, I found this set of answers from Chris Walker @ Pioneer from a list of questions: (This was from January, and Chris's responses are in italics - check number 6 in particluar)

Hi, Chris.

I'm very interested in the BDP-HD1, but need most of the following in any new blu-ray player. Please indicate which of these items will be included in the player:

1. 8 channel (7.1) RCA outputs of the 24/96 PCM signals from all new DD and DTS formats (Dolby True HD and DTS HD).

The BDP-HD1 features 5.1 analog outputs for normal DD and DTS. The HDMI output will pass the DTS-HD Bitstream to a decoder/receiver that will decode DTS-HD (Coming very Soon). Dolby has not finalized the spec for True HD yet, so at this moment I cannot guarantee that the player will have it.
2. Handles all versions of Dolby and DTS, including Dolby True HD, DTS HD.

See above answer

3. Plays both 25 and 50 GB discs.

Yep, plays both.

4. Plays DVD-R+ discs

Yep, plays both

5. Can upconvert standard DVDs to 1080i (although 1080p would also be great, too).

Yep can upconvert DVDs to 1080i or 1080p

6. Outputs blu-ray at 1080P24SF (the only 1080P input my Sony Qualia 004 projector will accept)

Yep, can output Blu-ray at 1080p24sd, 1080p60 as well.

Thanks!
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page