post #1 of 196 Old 06-21-2006, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry Ken H, I couldn't wait...

As Ken put it, with one edit...
"Very simple question. No explanations required."

"If you are an owner of a Blu-ray player, are you pleased with the purchase or not?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 196 Old 06-21-2006, 09:02 AM

Yes, works perfect on my Qualia 006.
post #3 of 196 Old 06-21-2006, 09:05 AM

I'm taking mine back.
post #4 of 196 Old 06-21-2006, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Mine is also going back. The unit worked flawlessly but, the pq was subpar for the price.

Ian B
post #5 of 196 Old 06-21-2006, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

I like the player a lot, so I'm keeping it. I blame the problems mostly on the software.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 196 Old 06-21-2006, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Too much money, too little performance. It went back! I was so looking forward to watching Basic Instinct 2 :rolleyes:
post #7 of 196 Old 06-21-2006, 10:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Definitely keeping it until I see how the Lionsgate titles pan out next week. If they are a significant improvement, I'll keep it; otherwise, I'll return the Samsung and wait for the Sony.

The player itself is very good, imo, it's just the current titles (with one exception) that don't deliver acceptable PQ.

HDTV Recorder Comparison Chart | DTVPal DVR FAQ | New! TiVo Premiere (Series4) FAQ |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 196 Old 06-21-2006, 10:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 172
No, it is out of here, simply because I can't get this baby to synch with my projector (Optoma H78). Will be bringing it back and getting another Blu-ray player from Sony or Pioneer.

If I didn't have a synch problem, I would likely keep it just because I am here for the long haul. I kept the Toshiba HD-A1 with all its cavets, and I would have done the same with the Samsung.
post #9 of 196 Old 06-21-2006, 11:07 AM

I'll keep mine until it can be replaced by a better one...then I'll move it to the bedroom system.There's a lot I like about it, and I'm hoping they'll get their software act together. In the meantime, I won't be buying any discs...just renting.

All of this science is hurting my brain!
post #10 of 196 Old 06-21-2006, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv
Definitely keeping it until I see how the Lionsgate titles pan out next week. If they are a significant improvement, I'll keep it; otherwise, I'll return the Samsung and wait for the Sony.

The player itself is very good, imo, it's just the current titles (with one exception) that don't deliver acceptable PQ.
You are now waiting till October for the Sony. Hopefully they can make some improvements to the unit, but who will buy it with the PS3 less than 30 days away?
post #11 of 196 Old 06-21-2006, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesO
I'll keep mine until it can be replaced by a better one...then I'll move it to the bedroom system.There's a lot I like about it, and I'm hoping they'll get their software act together. In the meantime, I won't be buying any discs...just renting.
What exactly do you like about it from a video perspective?
post #12 of 196 Old 06-21-2006, 11:58 AM

I voted it's outa here! until I read that Sony may postpone their release till Oct :mad:

So, I guess I'll keep it till the 30 days release and see if there is anything else on the horizon. Definitely not buying any more mpeg-2 BD disks! :eek:
post #13 of 196 Old 06-21-2006, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I took it back after 2 days. I bought 4 BD's so I'm still considering giving the Pioneer Elite a shot when it comes out, but I just couldn't justify keeping the Samsung when I considered what I'm getting from the Toshiba at half the price.
post #14 of 196 Old 06-21-2006, 12:18 PM

I'm pleased with mine. The only issues I have so far is that one can't step backwards frame by frame on BD discs. And one can only change output resolutions through the menus and not with a button on the remote. The player does a great job upconverting the King Kong DVD. PQ looks almost as good as the Underworld: Evolution BD.

I'm sticking with BD because of the potential for 8-layered discs and the possibility of storing movies with little or no compression.
post #15 of 196 Old 06-21-2006, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyEagle
I'm pleased with mine. The only issues I have so far is that one can't step backwards frame by frame on BD discs. And one can only change output resolutions through the menus and not with a button on the remote. The player does a great job upconverting the King Kong DVD. PQ looks almost as good as the Underworld: Evolution BD.

I'm sticking with BD because of the potential for 8-layered discs and the possibility of storing movies with little or no compression.

Can you give a link to the potential of 8 layered discs? Thanks.

It's the job of the salesman to give honest and accurate product info and let the customer decide if it fits their needs.
post #16 of 196 Old 06-21-2006, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Wow :D
post #17 of 196 Old 06-21-2006, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Wow, impressive!! :D

I want to hear opinions from people who don't have a dog in the fight.
post #18 of 196 Old 06-21-2006, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Considering the difficulty Sony is having with their DL production, 8 layer disks are probably not a reality anytime soon. We'll probably be on gen 2 of holographic disks before that happens.
post #19 of 196 Old 06-21-2006, 12:37 PM
CHG
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I will return mine, also. May look into it again when n ew players and titles come out.
post #20 of 196 Old 06-21-2006, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you kidding me?
post #21 of 196 Old 06-21-2006, 07:53 PM

I am keeping both my BD-P1000s, and both HD-A1s.
post #22 of 196 Old 06-21-2006, 08:11 PM

Quote:

Umm...King Kong looks good on ANY dvd player.The reason it looks almost as good as Underworld: Evolution BD is more of an indication of just how AVERAGE the Underworld BD PQ is.

So much for "Bogus-Ray"
post #23 of 196 Old 06-21-2006, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew P
Are you kidding me?

Andrew,
Come on, give it a break already. We've all seen your posts throughout the BR threads. Okay, you feel burned, your disappointed with the format, it obviously didn't meet your expectations and that's too bad, but you continually put down anyone that shows "any" support for the format. He's got a right to his opinion. You're not going to affect what we think by jumping from thread to thread to head off any positive comments.

There are some of us that are still willing to give the format a chance. Sorry if that bothers you.

Jim
post #24 of 196 Old 06-21-2006, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Do you known that current BD player and burners don't support this? :confused:

What loyalty, for better or for worst! :rolleyes:

I can't even see any large IT department using BD25 discs for backup as DLT drives are always used and trusted.

...Angelo

2x HD-XA2 firmware 3.0
1x HD-A1 firmware 3.0
HD DVD movies: 141
post #25 of 196 Old 06-21-2006, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
It's outa here simply because I am not impressed with the picture quality. Not nearly as good as some HDDVD''s I have seen. I also noticed the studdering problem reported on DigitalBits. When I first noticed it I thought it was my imagination, then I read about it. I also don't think it's work $1000 when there are no high quality movies available yet. Anyone see Constantine, Swordfish, Serentity on HDDVD, now these movies and many more have blown me away with the picture quality on HDDVD
post #26 of 196 Old 06-21-2006, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JlgLaw
Andrew,
Come on, give it a break already. We've all seen your posts throughout the BR threads. Okay, you feel burned, your disappointed with the format, it obviously didn't meet your expectations and that's too bad, but you continually put down anyone that shows "any" support for the format. He's got a right to his opinion. You're not going to affect what we think by jumping from thread to thread to head off any positive comments.

There are some of us that are still willing to give the format a chance. Sorry if that bothers you.

Jim
I think most people feel burned except the Sony apologists as you can see from the various polls on here. The thread is running 30% to keep the BD player. If you asked HD DVD owners to vote im sure it would drop even more.

I dont put people down and im sorry if it came across that way. Even in this thread I posted 'what exactly do you like about the video quality?' That is not negative. Its asking a fair question. Ive asked it multiple times and havent gotten a response.

My problem with Army Eagle is that his comments were so crazy 'the potential for 8 layer discs?' They dont even have dual layer discs. Come on...
post #27 of 196 Old 06-21-2006, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My problem with Army Eagle is that his comments were so crazy 'the potential for 8 layer discs?' They dont even have dual layer discs. Come on...
Okay, I can't disagree with that (the above quote), and my apologies in not recognizing what you were referring to. It is difficult to determine "tone" of posts. Like you, I'm disappointed. I'm waiting for the other players in the hope that by then these PQ issues will be resolved (if that's even possible).

Jim
post #28 of 196 Old 06-21-2006, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JlgLaw
Okay, I can't disagree with that (the above quote), and my apologies in not recognizing what you were referring to. It is difficult to determine "tone" of posts. Like you, I'm disappointed. I'm waiting for the other players in the hope that by then these PQ issues will be resolved (if that's even possible).

Jim
Jim,
Some of my posts are sarcastic, but I really am disapponted. Im not some new poster who all of a sudden loves BD or HD DVD. I bought into HD DVD and was surprised. I figured it would be a $500 paperweight when I made the decision.

I just feel that Sony (and I own a Sony VPL-VW100 projector) is always given a pass for some reason. I dont understand how a company like them could allow this to happen? All they have to do is select the 4-5 best looking titles for launch or even 2-3. People are happy because they see excellent picture quality at their local BB or CC and are willing to spend the extra money. The buzz on the format is positive.

So the next batch is slightly sub-par, but it would go unnoticed beause it happens. Im not a rocket scientist, but this should have been easy to do. If they cant have common sense on a way to launch a format, why should I buy into giving them more time? Are things really going to change? Or are Sonys promises going to come up empty again?

If people want to wait, more power to them. I am fed up!
post #29 of 196 Old 06-21-2006, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
I dont understand how a company like them could allow this to happen? All they have to do is select the 4-5 best looking titles for launch or even 2-3.
I think that is exactly what Sony did. They're doing the best they can.

post #30 of 196 Old 06-21-2006, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Andrew,
I know you're a credible member and hope I didn't imply otherwise. Like you, I also own the Ruby, and like you, I viewed and liked HD-DVD (I just couldn't get my player to work to my satisfaction :( ) I was really counting on BR as well and from what I saw at my friends house (also a Ruby owner) I wasn't impressed. As I previously mentioned, I have seen a previous BR demo (in my home) that leads me to believe there is hope. If things have changed (in a bad way) since that demo, then I will likely stay disappointed.

I obviously don't know who will win this format war, if there even is a winner, but I know I don't want to waste HT $ (it's a wife thing! :D ) on equipment that will not be supported in the future. (Either format) So for now I wait!

Jim
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page