post #91 of 167 Old 06-22-2006, 07:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyharmonies
What a friggin' joke. Talks about how the Samsung is faster and more responsive, but will not make ANY comments at all about PQ because "that wouldn't be fair."

So it's ok to indict the HD-DVD format because of the ergonomic foibles of the Toshiba HD-A1 despite the incredible PQ, but we can't say anything bad about BR's poor picture quality and praise the format because it boots faster.

From reading these so-called "reviews", you'd think that the MOST important aspects of these players are their bootup times and remotes, and the picture quality is secondary and not important.

WTF?
Truly one of the most idiotic 'reviews' I've ever seen. You got the distinct feeling that because the BD picture quality was bad, she didn't want to comment. Somehow I think if the PQ were good, there would have been pages of comments. The lack of objectivity out there, whether it's in 'professional' columns or otherwise, is utterly stunning. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I have stopped subscriptions to some magazines over the years because of 'informative' and 'non-biased' disclosures like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 167 Old 06-22-2006, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyEagle
That's right. And in a year, the motorcycles will be flying past them.
Sony's building a flying motorcycle? Ooooh! To continue this silly analogy, by the time that flying motorcycle is ready for business, the folks who've been cruising the land on their motorbicycles, visiting their relatives and enjoying holidays at distant locations can simply enter the store and buy the motorcycle. But before that, they've enjoyed plenty of miles.

Please, feel free to call me by my first name, Petri.
post #93 of 167 Old 06-22-2006, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asj2006
Well, the reviews are starting to come in and it looks like Toshiba's HD-DVD.
jeeper creepers, that is one sorry review

responsiveness, is that it? responsiveness?

yet, when you try to change chapters on a BR disc the responsiveness is slow

no, the future is not BR.....not yet
post #94 of 167 Old 06-22-2006, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross
Well if this is another way of saying "HD DVD is only winning in the war of picture quality", yeah, count me in! Isn't that what these new formats were supposed to be all about? ;)
No, it's about responsiveness when loading a disc.

Clearly, the quickest load times will win this war. :eek:
post #95 of 167 Old 06-22-2006, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Truly one of the most idiotic 'reviews' I've ever seen. You got the distinct feeling that because the BD picture quality was bad, she didn't want to comment. Somehow I think if the PQ were good, there would have been pages of comments. The lack of objectivity out there, whether it's in 'professional' columns or otherwise, is utterly stunning. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I believe she said that a PQ comparison wasn't valid right now because BD is not running at full capacity yet. Seems reasonable to me. To HD-DVDs credit, it provides a good picture now. But it has no hope of any significant improvement of PQ in the future. BD does.
post #96 of 167 Old 06-22-2006, 08:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorrorScope
Yeah because the Toshiba is slow, it's like that has become a dominant factor in judging the race. The only thing boot time is more important over is the power cable used.
Let's not forget the color of the units....far more important than PQ.
post #97 of 167 Old 06-22-2006, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
To HD-DVDs credit, it provides a good picture now. But it has no hope of any significant improvement of PQ in the future. BD does.
Do you even realize what you just typed?

Please, feel free to call me by my first name, Petri.
post #98 of 167 Old 06-22-2006, 08:05 AM

Quote:
I am not ready to judge the Samsung player, or the Blu-ray Disc format for that matter, on the first titles released by one studio.
Another person with more than an ounce of common sense.
post #99 of 167 Old 06-22-2006, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

why is the industry being so fooking nice to sony about all this? they ignore everything negative, but point everything positive? I fail to relaize this is sony paying extra monies to people who review this? its almost like this in all reviews:
"the XX Blu ray player is magnificant is all that it can accomplish vs the toshiba player our load times are 45 secs vs toshibs 50 sec load times, the cosmetic of the player is so much more better than toshiba and much lighter, the disc have awesome capacity of over 400gig disc this specatulactur considering HD dvd is only 50gig max, we expect great things from xxx player, but toshiba we will put on hold"

I swear no matter how good or how great the toshiba is it seems to me no matter what they will favor Blu ray no matter what its almost the industry wants HD dvd to fail so that sony can look good and forget what happened to them on betamax....did anyone remember reviews on betamax back in the day were they this good vs vhs even though it was crap? seriouslly its annoying listening to all these reviews I remember when toshiba came out with their player all the industry reviews gave it a bad review, but regular consumers who have it here gave it a good review.
post #100 of 167 Old 06-22-2006, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Not to add conspiracy fodder, but it seems PQ was the focus of the preliminary Toshiba review by the same reviewer at PC World. Initial partial review was:

1) Setup
2) PQ
3) Hardware appearance

See here: http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/001899.html
post #101 of 167 Old 06-22-2006, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteittinen
Do you even realize what you just typed?
Yes. I'm willing to accept slightly less in PQ for a few months in order to have better PQ later on.

I've waited four years for HD discs. What's a few more months.
post #102 of 167 Old 06-22-2006, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I believe she said that a PQ comparison wasn't valid right now because BD is not running at full capacity yet. Seems reasonable to me. To HD-DVDs credit, it provides a good picture now. But it has no hope of any significant improvement of PQ in the future. BD does.
even though im 5'7" i believe I can grow to be 6'6" and bench 600lbs I cant wait.....
post #103 of 167 Old 06-22-2006, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I hear Car & Driver is doing a comparison test between the Mustang and the Camaro that isn't out yet...maybe they'll declare the Camaro the winner because they hear that it has better cup holders, and maybe might have up to 1000hp (but currently only producing 300hp in a lab)...
post #104 of 167 Old 06-22-2006, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes. I'm willing to accept slightly less in PQ for a few months in order to have better PQ later on.

you believe this and why? :rolleyes:
post #105 of 167 Old 06-22-2006, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
That's right. And in a year, the motorcycles will be flying past them. HD-DVD may have the better PQ now, but doesn't have nearly the upside potential. What happens when 5000x2000 higher def comes out? BD discs might be able to hold these movies. Will HD-DVD discs? I'll bet on that upside potential for now. If it appears that BD will fail in coming through with the promised potentials, then I may switch to HD-DVD or whatever newer technology that comes along.
Do you know if BD players will be able to handle 5K resolutions? I don't. What if HD DVD comes out with QUAD LAYER VC-2! I hear they can put entire studios back catalog on one single diskette. Quad Layer is 60 gigs and VC-2 is 10 times more efficient the VC1, that is like 600 gigs today or a full 1.2 terabytes in comparison to BD 25 and Mpeg2! j/k - but that is about equal hopes and hypes...
post #106 of 167 Old 06-22-2006, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No problem, but please don't insult yourself and the people here anymore. We are not as stupid as you thought. Keep BS and you will be on the ignore list very soon.

HDPLEX
post #107 of 167 Old 06-22-2006, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey
Another person with more than an ounce of common sense.
Brian, you would not have said the same if the shoe was on the other foot - i.e. crappy HD DVD titles. :rolleyes:

Let's face it. Except for Terminator and Underworld which are HD DVD-lite, the others are simply glorifed superbit quality....with HOFD and TFE looking worse than their DVD in many parts. What a shame. You can rationalize any thing, but that does not make the argument logical or true (IMHO)
post #108 of 167 Old 06-22-2006, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95
Not to add conspiracy fodder, but it seems PQ was the focus of the preliminary Toshiba review by the same reviewer at PC World. Initial partial review was:

1) Setup
2) PQ
3) Hardware appearance

again I fail to release all the logic behind the reviews it seems blu ray is all about cosmetics, but when it comes to toshiba the PQ better be damn good we dont care about PQ on blu ray cause its so pretty to look at....
post #109 of 167 Old 06-22-2006, 08:13 AM

Quote:
To HD-DVDs credit, it provides a good picture now. But it has no hope of any significant improvement of PQ in the future. BD does.
Ohhh, because they released an inferior product to begin with?

So many apologists.
post #110 of 167 Old 06-22-2006, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plazman
Brian, you would not have said the same if the shoe was on the other foot - i.e. crappy HD DVD titles. :rolleyes:

Let's face it. Except for Terminator and Underworld which are HD DVD-lite, the others are simply glorifed superbit quality....with HOFD and TFE looking worse than their DVD in many parts. What a shame. You can rationalize any thing, but that does not make the argument logical or true (IMHO)
agreed, but when toshiba released their players with titles they rated it on PQ YET no one reviewing samsung is rating PQ only the cosmetics of the player itself vs toshiba.....so wouldnt you say its kinda stupid to say, "I wont rate the samsung cause its so beatiful and look at those load times so much better than toshiba in every way"
post #111 of 167 Old 06-22-2006, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Soooo. Your opinion reigns supreme. Everybody else with a differing opinion is a Sony mole? Yeah, right.

HD-DVD is glorified DVD. BD is completely new technology. Here's a good analogy for you. HD-DVD is like adding a motor to a bicycle and calling it a motorcycle. BD is building a motorcycle.
Has anyone noticed that comments like these seem to be coming from the new guys with 25 posts and less? Interesting stuff eh? :rolleyes:
post #112 of 167 Old 06-22-2006, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Has anyone noticed that comments like these seem to be coming from the new guys with 25 posts and less? Interesting stuff eh? :rolleyes:
yeah I know its been that way forever now since BR vs HD dvd crazy heh just annoying :rolleyes:
post #113 of 167 Old 06-22-2006, 08:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
So tell me "ArmyEagle" did she do the potential buyer any service by NOT commenting on the CURRENT PQ? Try to be just a little objective for 3 seconds and answer that question. Then let me ask you this, if the PQ were superb, do you think we would have gotten the same 'no comment' from the author regarding PQ?

Here's another one for you to ponder "ArmyEeagle', who's to say that the load times on the Toshiba won't DECREASE with firmware upgrades making that a non-issue? Was it then fair for the author to single that out since that too might improve with time just as BD picture quality? Try to be just a 'little' objective before you answer.

And finally, the current PQ of the HD DVD format may be the best it gets with EITHER of these formats. Then again, how do YOU know that there is 'no hope' for PQ improvements in HD DVD? Frankly your lack of objectivity is quite obvious.
post #114 of 167 Old 06-22-2006, 08:26 AM

Quote:

What so it would be logical in your mind to make final judgement on an entire format based off of one BR play back unit and a few discs.. Thanks for your false assumptions but I don' fit into Your sense of logic. :rolleyes:
post #115 of 167 Old 06-22-2006, 08:26 AM

For $500 more, your high definition blu ray disc will load about 8 seconds faster by the time you close the tray. This new technology is bleeding edge...and it shows cause it saves you 8 seconds of your life.

BR may be the ultimate joke.
post #116 of 167 Old 06-22-2006, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocktheglide
agreed, but when toshiba released their players with titles they rated it on PQ YET no one reviewing samsung is rating PQ only the cosmetics of the player itself vs toshiba.....so wouldnt you say its kinda stupid to say, "I wont rate the samsung cause its so beatiful and look at those load times so much better than toshiba in every way"
agreed, the review should be consistant and rate both units and discs in the same fashion. Pro's and Con's of both
post #117 of 167 Old 06-22-2006, 08:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95

1) Setup
2) PQ
3) Hardware appearance

Thanks CPanther for PROVING the point. The real pity is that people who don't know of the existence of AVS might get their 'facts' from sites like hers. As I said, the bias out there is utterly rampant and really saddening. :(
post #118 of 167 Old 06-22-2006, 08:29 AM

Quote:
What so it would be logical in your mind to make final judgement on an entire format based off of one BR play back unit and a few discs.. Thanks for your false assumptions but I don' fit into Your sense of logic. :rolleyes:
No! You have to accept facts as you see them. I am not judging the entire format. But I question your position where you cannot admit that today HD DVD looks better than BD. Period!

I like you attempts at deflection and obfuscation. But they don't overcome the facts.
post #119 of 167 Old 06-22-2006, 08:34 AM

Quote:
No! You have to accept facts as you see them. I am not judging the entire format. But I question your position where you cannot admit that today HD DVD looks better than BD. Period!

I like you attempts at deflection and obfuscation. But they don't overcome the facts.
Check again plazman you are quite wrong again. I have deflected nothing yet you have made false accusations :rolleyes: Read my posting history and read it slowly if it helps... I've said from what I've seen so far HD-DVD does indeed look better than what I've seen on Blu-Ray. Which isn't much for either. Both need improvement IMO but Blu-ray much more base off what I saw with "Hitch". I don't know how I can be any clearer. I'm not willing to make a final judgement on either formant for quite a while. It is way too early with very little hardware on both ends and very little media as well.
post #120 of 167 Old 06-22-2006, 08:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Brian, I think what many are saying or thinking is that an OBJECTIVE reporter would have said "hey, this is what I've seen thus far, the PQ is not too good and certainly not nearly as good as HD DVD at THIS point in time...but there's certainly room for improvement". I and others would have had FAR more respect for the author had she cast her bias aside and reported fairly and accurately. She had no problem doing that at the same stage of release with HD DVD. The current state of ANY format is fair game and any objective reporter should tell it the way it is.
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page