Closed Thread

post #151 of 167 Old 06-22-2006, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtlingle
I would love to be able to burn a 50g/100g disc and carry with me. I just hope they get the DL discs working soon.
just get an Ipod or other flash drives that are growing in size daily

smaller, will work with any USB able PC/Mac/connection, don't need a BR player at your destination

BR for storing data is next too pointless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 167 Old 06-22-2006, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have to aggree with this point. The reason I initially was leaning to think Blu-ray would win (and why I prefer BD) is that we allways need more disc space. I want a media that meets all my needs, not just watching movies. I want to record, burn all my data, etc.

I would love to be able to burn a 50g/100g disc and carry with me. I just hope they get the DL discs working soon.

That said, if HD-DVD wins, I sure hope they can get 3 layer discs and burners out there.
you say that for the storage purposes only, but yet there is minidisc and thats a dying format that can hold 6 regular music disc on one mindisic yet no person wants mindisc one bit......the storage capacity it great.
post #153 of 167 Old 06-22-2006, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I cant wait to read the review from HOME & GARDEN. They know which is best.
When i want something to do with a PC i will read PC World. Just like when i want to do something in my garden i wont be picking up an audio visual mag. This review just holds no useful information for me other than to advertise the Bd player.

One other quick comment that holds no relitively useful information if you dont mind. Why cant we call it BR instead of BD? I keep hitting the s instead of the d when i type and it is getting on my nerves and is probably gonna get me in trouble the one day i dont catch it.
post #154 of 167 Old 06-22-2006, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
We are calling it BR - we just keep hitting the neighboring 'D' instead. :)
post #155 of 167 Old 06-22-2006, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95
We are calling it BR - we just keep hitting the neighboring 'D' instead. :)
:D thanks
post #156 of 167 Old 06-22-2006, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhdWho
just get an Ipod or other flash drives that are growing in size daily

smaller, will work with any USB able PC/Mac/connection, don't need a BR player at your destination

BR for storing data is next too pointless.
I think you missed my point.

Right now, if I burn a CD with Data 100% of computers can take it. If I burn a DVD with my video (camcorder) I can give it to friends at work and they can play it.

One day, (I hope) all computers will have a BD and/or HD-DVD player/burner in them, just like DVD.

That is my only point. I need a BD/HD_DVD on my computer anyway, to burn my HD content (home movies, etc)... So I'd like it also to burn 100g too. perhaps 30 gig would cover it, but I'd really like 100g.

Not sure why you say that is pointless?

Someone just burned 5g onto a DVD yesterday at work. There are times when people (me) want to burn on media (10 copies) or whatever. That's all.

Better is one day in your courts, better is one day in your house, better is one day in your courts, than thousands elsewhere....
post #157 of 167 Old 06-22-2006, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z
I apologize for directing "asj" to this forum. He's a Blu-ray shill who's been trolling the alt.video.dvd newsgroup with BD propaganda every day for months now. I pointed out to him that most of the initial user reports in this forum have been overwhelmingly negative, and apparently he's decided to start trolling here as well now.

Mea culpa.

Moderators, please take note of asj2006's future posting behavior.
Way to go Josh, just what AVS needed :)

As we've all been told before: "Don't Feed The Trolls!" (An inherent waste of time and intellect.)

Now he has a new feeding ground. He doesn't even qualify as a fanboy, his bias is too extreme. Guess he just wants attention, huh? I wonder how much he's going to get.

-- Trevor
post #158 of 167 Old 06-22-2006, 12:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1006 Post(s)
Liked: 1089
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey
Apollo 13 and U-571. Not bad by any means, they look great (As well as sound great) but there is always room for improvement. Of course it could be a combo of the player and display as well (1080p Samsung DLP).
And therein lies the problem. Since many many displays introduce their own artifacts (DLP being a BIG offender), one must be very careful in attributing the perceived 'artifact' to the proper device.
post #159 of 167 Old 06-22-2006, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross
And therein lies the problem. Since many many displays introduce their own artifacts (DLP being a BIG offender), one must be very careful in attributing the perceived 'artifact' to the proper device.
very true. No display is perfect, the blu-ray movie "Hitch" I watched was also on a sammy 1080p DLP and had much more noise and artifacing. I'm sure some may be from the set in both cases but also some from the media itself.
post #160 of 167 Old 06-22-2006, 01:07 PM

Quote:
I think you missed my point.

Right now, if I burn a CD with Data 100% of computers can take it. If I burn a DVD with my video (camcorder) I can give it to friends at work and they can play it.

One day, (I hope) all computers will have a BD and/or HD-DVD player/burner in them, just like DVD.

Oh, I understood your point just fine.

But why bother buying $500 or $1000 burners when you can get flash drives for cheap and can be read from a lot of different digital devices. BR and HDDVD is backwards technology.

Carrying around a BR or HDDVD disc is useless if you can't play it anywhere.

USB is already prevalant, BR and HDDVD is a couple years away from making a dent on the PC.

During the next couple of years, flash drives are going to get larger and cheaper, dwarfing BR and HDDVD in storage size and cost.
post #161 of 167 Old 06-22-2006, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhdWho
Oh, I understood your point just fine.

But why bother buying $500 or $1000 burners when you can get flash drives for cheap and can be read from a lot of different digital devices. BR and HDDVD is backwards technology.

Carrying around a BR or HDDVD disc is useless if you can't play it anywhere.

USB is already prevalant, BR and HDDVD is a couple years away from making a dent on the PC.

During the next couple of years, flash drives are going to get larger and cheaper, dwarfing BR and HDDVD in storage size and cost.
I dont know i would love to have a BD-R/RW+/- HD DVD-R/RW +/- DVD-R/RW +/- CD Rom drive. And who would put it out? LITEON? LOL.

I do think the flash drive or a version of it could be the wave of the future and i could see it holding a terabyte and being the size of a pack of cigarettes. All it takes is time. I picked up a 512MB and it is awesome! I back up all my files at work on it then throw it in the desk. It only takes a couple of seconds as opposed to writing to a disc that would take upward of 10 minutes on the computer i have.

The BR and HDDVD drives will not always be that expensive however. And flash drives are not cheap and I dont think i would want to be giving people i work with one of my flash drives to bring to home so they can download a bunch of viruses so i can upload a bunch of viruses to put on my computer.
post #162 of 167 Old 06-22-2006, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack
Interesting that they don't comment on the PQ of the software and yet declare the "future is blu"...
The PC advisor seems not to have even seen Hddvd//
I love how the (undercover) fan-boys mention the mythical "200gig disc"

They are having trouble producing 50gig discs. Do you REALLY think they'll EVER be able to cram 8 layers onto a disc?

The current hardware can only read two layers! I'm telling you right now: Consumer BD players will NEVER support discs larger than 50gig. Why? The current hardware only supports up to 50gig. Would you piss off all the people that bought these early players be releasing higher capacity BD's that they won't be able to play?

If/when we EVER see BD's > 50gig, they will be writable discs for the PC only.
post #163 of 167 Old 06-22-2006, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

by the current hardware only supporting 50 gig what hardware are you refering to? The samsung player? Or both players? or all hardware including computers at this time.
post #164 of 167 Old 06-23-2006, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky
I suppose that could be an interesting sidebar to see if the hd-a1 motherboard/configuration/chipsets match up pretty close with any of their laptop offerings... If it is true, I'm surprised no one has caught on to this, yet, and went public.
They don't have to match. Just saying they have so much design expertise they hardly need a "discarded xbox design" ... which, btw, if it existed wouldn't have been able to play hd-dvd nor could have had an hdmi port.
post #165 of 167 Old 06-24-2006, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Black
BD has room for improvement in PQ primarily because most of the first releases are TERRIBLE! HD-DVD already delivers top-notch HD on its titles, so from this perspective I guess I agree with you.

However, HD-DVD should get better simply by 2nd generation players outputting 1080p (or a possible firmware update to the A1). All the titles are already encoded in 1080p, so this should deliver slight improvement in the very least (provided you are one of the few with a 1080p display). Also, as Amir pointed out above, most of the HD transfers were done 6 months ago and improvements in encoding have already been made.

How is BD going to surpass HD-DVD in PQ in the future? Do they have some unknown resolution beyond 1080p that nobody knows about?
How about storing movies at 50+ bitrates. HD-DVD can't do that. How about storing with less compression resulting in fewer artifacts.

Funny you should ask about better resolution. A 5000X2000 resolution picture was just discussed in a recent article.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/print....php?t=688916"
post #166 of 167 Old 06-24-2006, 12:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyEagle
How about storing movies at 50+ bitrates. HD-DVD can't do that. How about storing with less compression resulting in fewer artifacts.

Funny you should ask about better resolution. A 5000X2000 resolution picture was just discussed in a recent article.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/print....php?t=688916"
Obviously you don't understand the correlation between bitrates and codecs.

Right now, Blu-ray discs use "old fashioned" MPEG2. HD DVD uses the newer VC-1 codec. The point is that VC-1 can produce a better quality picture than MPEG2 at a lower bitrate. In other words, VC-1 is more efficient.

The only point where Blu-ray would have an advantage over HD DVD is if/when they release a 50gig disc which uses VC-1. If they stick with MPEG2, the extra 20gigs of space is largely wasted due to the inefficent nature of MPEG2.
post #167 of 167 Old 06-24-2006, 01:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew P
1. What do you expect Samsung to say?
2. A side by side comparison is not what BD needs unless they plan on BD vs. DVD. If they really want to make an impression use VHS on a black and white tv.
3. Firmware upgrades are a good thing
4. Lower movie prices are a good thing

LOL TO impress the wife as to justify spending a grand on Blu-Ray, you need to place "The Fifth Element" next to a black and white tv while playing the VHS tape of it. "OOHhh Honey, look at the colors" :)
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page