post #91 of 221 Old 06-24-2006, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod
His views are laughable. Especially knowing he is concerned about how they will look on a 34" screen... :D
Let me ask you a simple question.

How is HD-DVD or Blu-Ray going to survive and prosper if the entire country has to buy a 42" or bigger screen?

I don't see Toshiba or Samsung advertising that you must have a 42" or larger display in order to use their machines or you won't be able to tell the difference between SD and HD DVD......... :D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 221 Old 06-24-2006, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawgijoe
Let me ask you a simple question.

How is HD-DVD or Blu-Ray going to survive and prosper if the entire country has to buy a 42" or bigger screen?

I don't see Toshiba or Samsung advertising that you must have a 42" or larger display in order to use their machines or you won't be able to tell the difference between SD and HD DVD......... :D
I'm sorry but that is just BS. I have a 32" display and the HD DVD is MUCH better than SD DVD.

DSKTexas
post #93 of 221 Old 06-24-2006, 09:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm
Of course, I am watching on a Ruby at 1080 so maybe your display is limiting your viewing. Hard to say without coming over to your house :)
Amir, sorry I don't believe your Ruby is that good. Box it up and mail it to the PO Box I am about to PM you so I can see for myself. Can you also include the players and the movies too? :D
post #94 of 221 Old 06-24-2006, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

The first time I saw Blu-Ray without comparing it to HD-DVD, Blu-Ray looked very good to me playing 50 First Dates. I was told that I was a moron because I thought the picture looked good. Nice people on this forum. I had the BB guys hook up the HD-DVD player to the Samsung display that the Blu-Ray player was hooked up to and noticed the mosquito noise that I've taled about. Everything else about the picture was fine....that noice drove me nuts.
I dont think you are a moron, I just completely disagree with your assessment. What is reference HD quality in your eyes? I think some people have different expectations.

Im glad you like BD, but to me it is a major disappointment so far.
post #95 of 221 Old 06-24-2006, 11:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 100
A 34" screen is not that big. Sorry to burst your bubble. You should be able to tell the difference between SD and HD DVD though. If you can't then your display is either inferior or just not calibrated correctly. I am not trying to personaly attack you, just stating fact... :)

Build your own Concession Stand Counter for cheap! Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #96 of 221 Old 06-25-2006, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
A 34" screen is not that big. Sorry to burst your bubble. You should be able to tell the difference between SD and HD DVD though. If you can't then your display is either inferior or just not calibrated correctly. I am not trying to personaly attack you, just stating fact... :)
Can you read?!

People are telling me that you can't tell the difference between SD and HD on a 34" display............that's totally incorrect and moronic.

My display.....34XBR800 is calibrated.

This talk is just a waste of bandwidth. :mad:
post #97 of 221 Old 06-25-2006, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew P
I dont think you are a moron, I just completely disagree with your assessment. What is reference HD quality in your eyes? I think some people have different expectations.

Im glad you like BD, but to me it is a major disappointment so far.
I did not say it was perfect. My reference HD quality is OTA.

Neither one of these formats that I've seen at BB (could be the real problem here) is up to HD OTA in my view.

At this point I could care less which format wins......as long as we have a format at the end and that it's affordable and excellent.
post #98 of 221 Old 06-25-2006, 07:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Can you READ!? I am saying if you can't tell the difference between HD DVD and your cable HD or SD you have a problem. I read you were complaining about these new formats being inferior to you OTA or cable HD. Which I find very hard to believe. Why are you even posting about BD or HD DVD when you already made up your mind. If you had a player you would atleast have something to do! Maybe you have dirt in your eyes!

Build your own Concession Stand Counter for cheap! Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com

post #99 of 221 Old 06-25-2006, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Can you READ!? I am saying if you can't tell the difference between HD DVD and your cable HD or SD you have a problem. I read you were complaining about these new formats being inferior to you OTA or cable HD. Which I find very hard to believe. Why are you even posting about BD or HD DVD when you already made up your mind. If you had a player you would atleast have something to do! Maybe you have dirt in your eyes!
Oh...so I am not allowed now to speak.....I guess I hit the right buttons with you. :)

I'm going to wait for real professional reviews of these products and for the price of entry to go down as well as for the next generation or so.

Is that OK with you?

Meanwhile......let me go wash the dirt out of my eyes.... :rolleyes:
post #100 of 221 Old 06-25-2006, 07:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

You need to Use Visine AC that works well. And no you are a light weight, so there is no chance you will "get to me". Maybe I will carve a 34" section out of screen so I can try and SEE what you are talking about... :D

post #101 of 221 Old 06-25-2006, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
I also have the 34XBR800 and the difference between SD, 480i/p DVD and Comcast HD is immediately obvious. Every step up is a noticeable improvement in PQ. To say that this set cannot display beautiful 720p/1080i images is flat out wrong.

My question is, in its current state (Samsung vs. Toshiba), is Blu-ray $500 better than HD-DVD?

The 34" picture on the Sony XBR is great. Anyone want to buy it? It only weighs 206 lbs... :p
post #102 of 221 Old 06-25-2006, 07:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

At this point it is not even a dollar better than HD DVD. Maybe when they revamp their disc structure it will be the same or a little better. But for now it looks like upconverted movies on a disc... I hope by the time the Sony comes out it will be better...

post #103 of 221 Old 06-25-2006, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeewing

My question is, in its current state (Samsung vs. Toshiba), is Blu-ray $500 better than HD-DVD?
No. When BD puts out a similar picture to HD DVD. No.

BD needs to differentiate itself in order to charge a premium. To offer the same quality for $500 more is a tough sell in my opinion.
post #104 of 221 Old 06-25-2006, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
At this point it is not even a dollar better than HD DVD. Maybe when they revamp their disc structure it will be the same or a little better. But for now it looks like upconverted movies on a disc... I hope by the time the Sony comes out it will be better...
Joerod.....I'm heading out to the store to get that Visine.....

I agree with you here....that blu-Ray is no better than HD-DVD at the moment.

You know...hopefully they will revamp and regroup and come out with a product that IS visibly better than HD-DVD and then maybe ALL the movie studios will jump on the bandwagen.......

I just wish that there had been ONE format to begin with and we could just be praising or yelling at ONE format instead of two.

What a pain having to buy two players because you can't get all the movies on one format that you want......hey maybe this was planned.....to suck more money out of out pockets?
post #105 of 221 Old 06-25-2006, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:

This talk is just a waste of bandwidth. :mad:
Agreed

Now can we please move on?

Thank you
post #106 of 221 Old 06-25-2006, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BD needs to differentiate itself in order to charge a premium. To offer the same quality for $500 more is a tough sell in my opinion.
Andrew....this is one of the better responses...on the premium....that I've seen.

There is no reason to spend the extra bucks unless that movie that you have to have is NOT on HD-DVD......and that would be a very expensive movie!
post #107 of 221 Old 06-25-2006, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin
Agreed

Now can we please move on?

Thank you
YES SIR!!! Thank you.
post #108 of 221 Old 06-25-2006, 07:42 AM

Even in the war between VHS and Beta, one could get movies in both formats. The winner was decided by the public. The studios should have stayed neutral and produced movies in both formats. They had nothing to lose and everything to gain. Sell to both groups the way our Arms dealers do. You win either way. A buck from HD DVD is just as good as a buck from Blu Ray.
post #109 of 221 Old 06-25-2006, 08:30 AM

The studios might have supported both formats if Sony didn't own much of the content. It's basically a conlict of interest between the software and hardware side of the business. Sony controls much of the content and so is using that to give it's hardware an advantage. In the absence of HD-DVD and BD coming to an agreement for one standard, it would have been better for the studios to support both formats and then they would have more people to sell to, and they would be able to re-sell some of the same content to those who chose the losing format, once their players die.... Seems like that would be a win-win for the studios. ;)
post #110 of 221 Old 06-25-2006, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtlingle
What?

Huh? OTA HD is totally awesome in my area. Especially PBS. In fact my 6 and 9 year old kids can see the difference.

Nascar (which I never ever watch- until now) looked great on FOX. And Lost on ABC is stunning.

Not sure I understand this statement. Perhaps your watching the anaolog channels stretched? Not sure.
when we first got an HD set 5 yrs ago and only OTA was available, that PBS loop was 1. on nearly all the time 2. had absolute first rate picture - and even today on a small or large HD screen, PBS still looks excellent

That initial viewing was with a 27" Samsung HD

The difference today with our 96" display (via an AE700u) is (aside from Cable HD and HD-DVD) on OTA non-PBS network channels - the results are much better on the large screen

Large screens help HD and they particularly help network HD shows, such as those on OTA
post #111 of 221 Old 06-25-2006, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I Saw the Demo at Circuit City today, but it's hard to judge because Demo Disks showing Trailers etc are'nt the best medium, I wish they just had an actual Movie in there. I'd have to say what I saw was'nt that impressive and looked on Par to the quality I've seen on Comcast HD on say HBO. I did notice a lack of fine detail, while the image was fairly sharp. But as I said less than optimum source and setup.
post #112 of 221 Old 06-25-2006, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JET99
When Evan Powell sees a problem, I am really worried, because this guy has been right on the money with his early calls in the last few years. I would call him a bellweather reviewer. I am fortunate to currently have no budget per se on audio/video equipment, but even I'm holding back dropping 1000 dollars untill Sony explains what is going on - maybe its fixable, but they need to get it done soon
Call em…………………….

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (SPHE) president, Benjamin S. Feingold

(310) 244-7799 or (310) 244-4722

You’ll get an administrative assistant but if you can sell swamp land in Florida, you may just get thru and make a difference. :)
post #113 of 221 Old 06-25-2006, 09:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

I would love to ask them what they were thinking...

post #114 of 221 Old 06-25-2006, 09:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

And how third place feels behind HD DVD and D-THEATER?

post #115 of 221 Old 06-25-2006, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The Toshiba is NOT CHEAP, it´s Toshiba that decided to loose money on the player, clearly because they have been telling everyone how incredible cheap HD-DVD is.
If you look at whats in the player and compare it to the Samsung, it´s obvious that the Toshiba should be more expensive to make.

The low price is artificial.

Love!
post #116 of 221 Old 06-25-2006, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man
Call em…………………….

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (SPHE) president, Benjamin S. Feingold

(310) 244-7799 or (310) 244-4722

You’ll get an administrative assistant but if you can sell swamp land in Florida, you may just get thru and make a difference. :)
you might get customer service with that number ;)
post #117 of 221 Old 06-26-2006, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As a consumer I don't care if the low price is artificial or not

WeÂre doomed. It will never work
post #118 of 221 Old 06-26-2006, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Most of my food is artificial. My wife’s chest.... not artificial. Gotch ya! :)
post #119 of 221 Old 06-26-2006, 09:18 AM

what does an artificial low price have to do with anything?

The PS3, Sony themselves have said it's cheap, and could be sold for more.

So what?
post #120 of 221 Old 06-26-2006, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
I would love to ask them what they were thinking...
I will for you.
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page