New Best Buy Policy for the BD-P1000:"14 Day Return Period -15% Restock Fee Applies" - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 190 Old 07-09-2006, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 423
So the vote is really 284 to 9. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 190 Old 07-09-2006, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95
Then why did you vote that you returned the unit here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=696555

:confused:
TheMoose = BUSTED! :D

I think everything TheMoose says from here on should sound like "Wahhh wah wah wahh wahhh wah" (ala Charlie Brown Teacher Voice).

Please feel free to visit MidnightWatcher's Blogspot or follow my NEWS feed on Twitter.
post #93 of 190 Old 07-09-2006, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bferr1
I'd like to know the reasoning behind the change in policy, if it is indeed chainwide and not just something done at the local level. If it is chainwide, this surely will have a chilling effect on the format war if people can't return a player without taking a financial hit.
im thinking it has to do with players being retunred at record rate right now. I know I returned my sammy and then BB sold it and that guy returned the same sammy I returned and the guy who dealt with me sold it again...its a cycle right now and BB probably is biting the bullet for praising Blu Ray over HD dvd that now they have to recoup some money from it....thats my theory only though and my experience with blu ray. :D
post #94 of 190 Old 07-09-2006, 09:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiningBengal
Nonsense. Merchandise that is returned opened cannot be resold as new. It is "B" merchandise and legally must be disclosed as such. Most consumers won't buy it unless it carries a hefty discount.

Even if this weren't the case, the 15% doesn't cover the costs a retailer incurs in restocking the unit--checking it out to see if it works, making sure all the parts and manuals are intact, etc.

Best Buy doesn't "make" any money on returned merchandise. The 15% only offsets some of its costs. :rolleyes:
I've purchased several items over the years from BB and CC that were used but I was told they were new. The most recent purchases like that was a Gateway21" monitor with fingerprints all over it and not packaged correctly and a Panasonic camera with fingerprints and a fully charged battery which it isn't supposed to be. Both items were supposed to be brand new and unopened which wasn't the case.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #95 of 190 Old 07-09-2006, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95
Then why did you vote that you returned the unit here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=696555

:confused:
OK I'm busted :rolleyes: :p
But look at that poll, nearly 300 votes on a thread with less than 100 posts, it looked fishey to me!!

"Racing is........Life.......Everything before & after is just waiting"
post #96 of 190 Old 07-09-2006, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose
But look at that poll, nearly 300 votes on a thread with less than 100 posts, it looked fishey to me!!
is this another blah, blah, blah, blah... :cool:
post #97 of 190 Old 07-09-2006, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Blu Logic.

It's the job of the salesman to give honest and accurate product info and let the customer decide if it fits their needs.
post #98 of 190 Old 07-09-2006, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiningBengal
Nonsense. Merchandise that is returned opened cannot be resold as new. It is "B" merchandise and legally must be disclosed as such. Most consumers won't buy it unless it carries a hefty discount.

Even if this weren't the case, the 15% doesn't cover the costs a retailer incurs in restocking the unit--checking it out to see if it works, making sure all the parts and manuals are intact, etc.

Best Buy doesn't "make" any money on returned merchandise. The 15% only offsets some of its costs. :rolleyes:

They do make money on this particular device. But that is about the only way.

It's a shame people can't take bakc the media because that is definately the weakest link.

It's the job of the salesman to give honest and accurate product info and let the customer decide if it fits their needs.
post #99 of 190 Old 07-09-2006, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

can you not accept hd dvd having such a positive impression, that you feel the need to sabotage the poll?
post #100 of 190 Old 07-09-2006, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/profi...nore&u=7557511

Greg
post #101 of 190 Old 07-09-2006, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No as a matter of fact I did not!
I didn't even buy one in the first place.

I'm waiting for the PS3 & it will be my first next gen DVD player, that way no matter what happens in the format war I won't get screwed over.

I have seen both formats displayed at several B&M stores in my area, at most of the stores I was not at all impressed with either format they didn't hit me with the WOW factor my SXRD & upconverting DVD player did.
The local CC had a Blu-Ray set up with a SXRD & I was impressed with that pic.

The problem is both of these formats have IMO been released too soon, the hardware & software is not up to the quality it should be.
Therfore I will get the PS3 but I'll wait until the hardware & software is improved before I jump on either bandwagon.
Do you honestly believe that your upconverting player has more WOW factor than HD DVD ? Keeping in mind just about every professional review site has claimed the superior upconverting ability of the Toshiba and the superior PQ of the format.

Sorry man but I think you should be banned for trolling.

post #102 of 190 Old 07-09-2006, 10:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
While the posts *in* the thread are less than the actual votes in the poll, you can see the user names of all that voted in the positive or negative.

Nothing 'fishy' about that to me. But maybe that's just me...

Ðave -
It was technically a single shenanigan, more like a hijink...

post #103 of 190 Old 07-09-2006, 10:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Chemist
Thank you. I had forgotten this feature of the forums :D

Ðave -
It was technically a single shenanigan, more like a hijink...

post #104 of 190 Old 07-09-2006, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why in the first place did you vote? Yes you got busted royal. Now how do you plan to explain yourself out of this mess. That your SD player rocks?!? Lying ( and getting caught) with a biased agenda should get you at least a temporary ban.
post #105 of 190 Old 07-09-2006, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head Shot
Why in the first place did you vote? Yes you got busted royal. Now how do you plan to explain yourself out of this mess. That your SD player rocks?!? Lying ( and getting caught) with a biased agenda should get you at least a temporary ban.
Most all people who voted that they returned the player in that thread were relative new comers except for Chad.
post #106 of 190 Old 07-09-2006, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Nice to see your screen name reflecting your intelligence. It's a poll genius, you don't have to post. The purpose is to vote to get a tally, not give feedback.
post #107 of 190 Old 07-09-2006, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullgates
Do you honestly believe that your upconverting player has more WOW factor than HD DVD ? Keeping in mind just about every professional review site has claimed the superior upconverting ability of the Toshiba and the superior PQ of the format.

Sorry man but I think you should be banned for trolling.
I probably should have explained that better,
The WOW factor I was talking about was going from a 10 year old 50" Hitachi Ultravision SD & non upconverting DVD player to the SXRD with an upconverting DVD player, that was a huge jump & had a big WOW factor, the HD DVD & Blu-Ray didn't have that same big jump in quality so when I saw them I didn't go Wow.

I'm glad I gave all the Sony, Blu-Ray & PS3 haters something to crow about, it will give all the people with nothing to actually contribute someting to do for a while.

If they want to ban all the Sony haters that post thier BS here with me then I'll take my ass whooping with them, until then "let he who is without sin cast the first stone" !

post #108 of 190 Old 07-09-2006, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I work for Best Buy, & in every Best Buy store there is a huge 20ft tall board up by customer service that states the return policy. Nowhere on it does it say Blu-Ray, DVD or HDDVD has a restocking fee. If a department supervisor put those stickers on the box (which BTW are for laptop computers & Digital cameras/camcorders) then they did that on their own, however the restocking Fee is not in the system (POS-Point Of Sale) and when you go to return it, UNLESS the cashier purposefully changes it to only return you less 15% it is not an automotic thing that pops up like items listed in the return policy with 14 day/15% restock such as:laptop computers & Digital cameras/camcorders. Possibly this store is getting alot of "renters" my store has sold all 4 units it has received so far and non have been returned (Yet) they have 30days, and no restock fee.

HDDVD owner: 360 add-on, HD-A30, HD-A2, A1
Blu-ray disc supporter: ps3-60gb, Oppo BDP-93
TV's: LN46B750 1080p-240hz LCD/kdl55hx729 1080p 240hz 3D LED

Link:Blu-ray Disc Fan Forum
post #109 of 190 Old 07-09-2006, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian@BBY
I work for Best Buy, & in every Best Buy store there is a huge 20ft tall board up by customer service that states the return policy. Nowhere on it does it say Blu-Ray, DVD or HDDVD has a restocking fee. If a department supervisor put those stickers on the box (which BTW are for laptop computers & Digital cameras/camcorders) then they did that on their own, however the restocking Fee is not in the system (POS-Point Of Sale) and when you go to return it, UNLESS the cashier purposefully changes it to only return you less 15% it is not an automotic thing that pops up like items listed in the return policy with 14 day/15% restock such as:laptop computers & Digital cameras/camcorders. Possibly this store is getting alot of "renters" my store has sold all 4 units it has received so far and non have been returned (Yet) they have 30days, and no restock fee.

good update.

post #110 of 190 Old 07-09-2006, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I probably should have explained that better,
The WOW factor I was talking about was going from a 10 year old 50" Hitachi Ultravision SD & non upconverting DVD player to the SXRD with an upconverting DVD player, that was a huge jump & had a big WOW factor, the HD DVD & Blu-Ray didn't have that same big jump in quality so when I saw them I didn't go Wow.

I'm glad I gave all the Sony, Blu-Ray & PS3 haters something to crow about, it will give all the people with nothing to actually contribute someting to do for a while.

If they want to ban all the Sony haters that post thier BS here with me then I'll take my ass whooping with them, until then "let he who is without sin cast the first stone"
!

I think all people that knowingly skew the results of polls and generally try to antagonize other posters should be banned.

I think you would be surprised at how many people here want to see BD succeed but are sick and tired of hearing excuses from the BD camp. They need to put out the goods that they should be capable of producing.

post #111 of 190 Old 07-10-2006, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullgates
I think all people that knowingly skew the results of polls and generally try to antagonize other posters should be banned.

I think you would be surprised at how many people here want to see BD succeed but are sick and tired of hearing excuses from the BD camp. They need to put out the goods that they should be capable of producing.
I totally agree, and i think by the time Blu-Ray launches for me (october 25th) when the BDP-S1 comes out, It will be a whole different ball game. The soft launch we are seeing now is just a distraction technique IMO. And I think Sony, Pioneer and the movie studios who have postponed launch titles all did so in an effort to deliver the goods when they are ready so that they DO live up to the "Hype".

Thanks,
Brian

HDDVD owner: 360 add-on, HD-A30, HD-A2, A1
Blu-ray disc supporter: ps3-60gb, Oppo BDP-93
TV's: LN46B750 1080p-240hz LCD/kdl55hx729 1080p 240hz 3D LED

Link:Blu-ray Disc Fan Forum
post #112 of 190 Old 07-10-2006, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I totally agree, and i think by the time Blu-Ray launches for me (october 25th) when the BDP-S1 comes out, It will be a whole different ball game. The soft launch we are seeing now is just a distraction technique IMO. And I think Sony, Pioneer and the movie studios who have postponed launch titles all did so in an effort to deliver the goods when they are ready so that they DO live up to the "Hype".

Thanks,
Brian
But why the soft launch at all??
Is it just because HD-DVD beat them out to market?
I think releasing the hardware & software before it's ready is just going to hurt Blu-Ray down the line when the good stuff comes out.
Neither of these formats were ready for launch, it was just a case of wanting to hit the shelves as soon as they could.

post #113 of 190 Old 07-10-2006, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks,
Brian
So Samsung is left hanging out to dry? I'm sure they wish they had gone HD-DVD now.
post #114 of 190 Old 07-10-2006, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire407
So Samsung is left hanging out to dry? I'm sure they wish they had gone HD-DVD now.
Samsung must be getting LOTSA incentives for taking the intergrity beatings for BDA in such manner. :confused:
post #115 of 190 Old 07-10-2006, 12:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

Thanks,
Brian
Why did you return the Toshiba HD DVD player, Brian?
post #116 of 190 Old 07-10-2006, 01:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames
Uh oh, not another fake Toshiba return?
post #117 of 190 Old 07-10-2006, 02:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames

You'd have to buy one first. lil Brain didn't know that it was an open view poll. He's still waiting for "Sony, No Bolognia" to pull through for him.

So for out of 11, we have 2 blatant liars and about 4-5 highly suspects.
post #118 of 190 Old 07-10-2006, 02:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Why the heck are you guys accusing this guy of faking the poll?

post #119 of 190 Old 07-10-2006, 03:38 AM
Advanced Member

brian,

did you really purchase an hd dvd player? the poll is only open to actual owners, working at BB is not valid enough reason to vote in the poll as an owner.

considering your posts seem relay the message that you are just waiting for the sony bd player, did you really own an hddvd player also?
post #120 of 190 Old 07-10-2006, 03:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 61
He also voted "keep" on the Samsung poll, which, if true, means he already has the Samung BDP-1000. But if he's really waiting for the Sony, that wouldn't make sense either, would it?
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page