New Best Buy Policy for the BD-P1000:"14 Day Return Period -15% Restock Fee Applies" - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #181 of 190 Old 07-14-2006, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhdWho
If the Receipt says restocking fee, your suit is a waste of time.

I would go one up and not allow the return of the product to the store.

You can always deal with the manufacture if you have issues with it.

Renters beware I guess.
Again, its not my suit...someone else in another state has brought it vs. BB. But if a lawfirm wants to join it, they need to find someone who has paid the BB RSF. The lawyer I know is looking by word of mouth to find someone else local so his firm can join the suit. He cant solicit but nothing says I can't for him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 190 Old 07-14-2006, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95
We've had exactly one report of someone paying a restocking fee for returning a BD-P1000, and even in that case, it was refunded after protest (granted, the fee should have never been charged, but none the less, it was returned). In this case (the thread topic), while I obviously - based on my comments - disagree with the policy, there's absolutely nothing to suggest that they do not have a right to establish whatever terms they wish on any product they sell.

Regardless, AVS is not the place for attorneys or plaintiffs to solicit participants, or encourage participation, in a class-action lawsuit.
Thats fine. The topic was the %15 RSF and how it was wrong. I figured if someone out there, who actually paid the RSF, wanted to join the suit which may or may not discourage companies like BB from having RSF in the first place, they could. Just trying to share information which I thought was on topic.
post #183 of 190 Old 07-14-2006, 01:41 PM
Blues In Thirds

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
good luck on getting an answer to that one:>)
post #184 of 190 Old 07-14-2006, 01:47 PM

I don't understand what the problem is...

Noone is being charged the restock fee retroactively if I understand correctly... If people are going to be charged restock fees in the future its being disclosed in advance and it will be on the reciept correct?

It kind of sucks yes, but I don't see how its 'wrong' or 'unethical' or worthy of a class action lawsuit.

If its something thats sprung on you without warning thats one thing, but if its as reported by some (and I haven't been to best buy so I haven't seen it myself) on the price tag while purchasing and on the reciept. Then I see no problem with the terms of purchase. All return policies have exceptions, exemptions, extenuating circumstances, especially with new technologies.

Do your homework, know what you are getting and its a non-issue. If you really don't like it, let Best Buy know by shopping somewhere else.
post #185 of 190 Old 07-14-2006, 10:44 PM

just purchase it at COSTCO, 6 mo return policy, no hassles or questions asked like BB.

BB is so anti-consumer I can't believe anyone shops there.
post #186 of 190 Old 07-15-2006, 02:28 PM

i have not had bad luck at bb but thier is a web site thats called bb sxxxs.com, you should read all the problems
post #187 of 190 Old 07-15-2006, 02:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4two2
just purchase it at COSTCO, 6 mo return policy, no hassles or questions asked like BB.
I don't see it on their online website, so I assume that was in one of their stores. If Costco is getting these through Samsung and returns go back to Samsung, Samsung may regret selling through them. If Costco eats the returns for this one they might end up regretting carrying this player. I think if people here bought from them with that return policy, more than half would return it before the 6 months was up.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #188 of 190 Old 07-15-2006, 04:27 PM

It seems to me it IS BB's perrogative to have a restocking fee of any sort for any item, just as long as it's clearly marked & before purchase.
I have a major problem with a store in the USA refusing to honor their own return/restocking proceedure when their own WRITTEN return policy is labeled in 'GI-nourmus' lettering staring one straight in the face at check-out:

30-day Return Period
We accept returns or exchanges 30 days from the original purchase. Please review the details below.

14-day Return Period
We accept returns or exchanges 14 days from the original purchase on computers, monitors, printers, notebook computers, projectors, camcorders, digital cameras and radar detectors.

Restocking Fee
Unless defective, a 15% restocking fee will be charged on opened notebook computers, projectors, camcorders, digital cameras, radar detectors, GPS/navigation and in-car video systems. Unless defective, a restocking fee of 25% will be charged on special order products, including appliances.

Missing Item or Damaged Product Fee
A missing item or damaged product fee will be charged for any product missing the original box, packaging material, contents, accessories and/or manuals (i.e., any product not in "like new" condition).

Return and Exchange Requirements
Your original receipt is required for all returns, exchanges, price matches and warranty repair services. All returns, exchanges and price adjustments must be made in the country of original purchase. For cash purchases over $250 and check purchases over $100, your refund will be issued by check from our corporate office within 14 business days of the return.

Personal Data
Please remove all personal data (e.g., computer or wireless phone data, videotapes) from any returned or exchanged products. Best Buy is not responsible for any personal data left on or in these items.

Nonreturnable Items
These items include labor and/or installation services; consumable items such as phone cards, gift cards, food and drink; or items that are damaged or abused. Opened computer software, movies, music and video games can be exchanged for the identical item but cannot be returned for a refund. Any merchandise missing the original Universal Product Code (UPC) is available for an even exchange only on the identical product.

Any product that is returned without promotional item(s) included with the original transaction (e.g., buy TV, get free DVD player; buy TV, get free gift card; or buy TV, get DVD player for half off) will have the value of the promotional item deducted from the refund amount.

Any product that was purchased when a mail-in rebate was available on the purchase is subject to having the amount of the rebate deducted from the refund amount.

Policy varies in Hawaii. See store for complete details.

Best Buy reserves the right to deny any return.

The last line is the kicker, they most certainly may REFUSE return, but should by no means alter the "accepted" return policy to tack on a fee that was not agreed upon by both parties at time & point of sale.

If this forum will allow, I'd like to mention that if a Demo disc can be mastered to perform beautifully, then so should practical software. I think that the real issue may just come down to CODEC protocol, mastering technique & storage space (I'm in the dark a little about their mastering technique since it would take less than 18GB of storage for @ 2hrs of 1080i/60 in MPEG-2 CBR at just broadcast quality, why aren't adaptive VBR's used and master at 1080p/23.976).
How many CODEC's does the Blu-Ray player model support?

My rant.

-doGlooP
post #189 of 190 Old 07-15-2006, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COKE-1
While we're on the subject of BB restocking fees........If anyone in the St. Louis area has paid a BB restocking fee, feel free to contact me as we are looking for someone to join a class action lawsuit against BB.
Who are "we"? Did you get charged an RSF? IOW, do you have a valid reason for starting a CA lawsuit against BB or are you an opportunist?
post #190 of 190 Old 07-17-2006, 01:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Here in SoCal 3 BBB stores accepts Samsung returns without the restocking fee.

Just don't let them get your $150.00. Ask for the District Manager's phone number if the store management insist on slapping you with a restocking fee.
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page