AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsmith
I am beginning to agree.

I first saw the Samsung with House of Flying Daggers and was anything but impressed. However, other viewings have been very favorable. I have seen the demo disk (spectacular) and Utraviolet (excellent but limited by the stylized source).

I also note that the mainstream press has generally treated the Samsung better than the Toshiba. PC Magazine called the Toshiba "fair" and the Samsung "very good", for example.

I am working on the hypothesis that the early BD disks are not all very good but that the Samsung player itself is fine.

Reading the posts, I think that there is a lack of objectivity about these issues. People are ignoring issues with HD DVD and blasting Blu-Ray for things that are not much worse.
Rl you hit it pretty good on with you last sentence, Anyone that post positvie about blu-ray is attacked by the usal suspects.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 192 Old 07-10-2006, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Deez
THE BEST, eh? do you happen to wear a cape...

I'm a little slow today can you explain this one?

It's the job of the salesman to give honest and accurate product info and let the customer decide if it fits their needs.
post #93 of 192 Old 07-10-2006, 05:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked: 1430
Quote:
ding! ding! ding! we have a winner... 8]
ding! ding! ding! we have another <10 post wonder! :rolleyes:
post #94 of 192 Old 07-10-2006, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullgates
I'm a little slow today can you explain this one?

the HD DVD "supporters" spend more time in the Blu Ray forums then they do in the HD DVD forums.....in other words they have nothing better to do than to "save the day" and bash on superior format...
post #95 of 192 Old 07-10-2006, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire407
I get the impression reading your posts that you LOVE Blu-ray and HATE HD-DVD, so I'm really having a hard time believing this post. You have "about 8 titles" like you don't know how many, and "some look good and others do not". What the hell does that mean? After reading reviews here why would you buy the ones that don't look good? I mean the ones that don't look good are really rare and could have easily been avoided. As far as wanting HD-DVD to be the winner, I think most of the people on the forum just wanted a great HD movie experience that HD-DVD has delivered. Many of us thought that Blu-ray was going to be so much superior, and that it would be a very short war with Blu-ray kicking butt. Reality has set in and we see that Blu-ray isn't as developed as we were led to believe, and Toshiba has actually EARNED OUR RESPECT by giving us great quality movies. If Blu-ray goes away tomorrow, I don't care. If the PS3 is everything it's been hyped to be then I'm sure I'll buy one. I really don't care which side wins, but I can tell that you do.
Sir, you took the words right out of my mouth! :)
post #96 of 192 Old 07-10-2006, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
the HD DVD "supporters" spend more time in the Blu Ray forums then they do in the HD DVD forums.....in other words they have nothing better to do than to "save the day" and bash on superior format...

Thanks for clarifying.

Mighty Mouse is a super hero though.

It's the job of the salesman to give honest and accurate product info and let the customer decide if it fits their needs.
post #97 of 192 Old 07-10-2006, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Superior??? Based on what facts???
Most of us were former Blu-ray supporters who took the plunge and tried HD-DVD just to see if we would like it, and ended up falling in love!

Stop blindly following; make decisions for yourself based on facts that you can see!

Try it, you might just like it. :)
post #98 of 192 Old 07-10-2006, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj
Jay,

I think you are missing the point. I hope your TV can accept a 1080i signal, even though it might only display 720p. The case is that Toshiba strongly recommends setting the player to 1080i - IRRESPECTIVE OF YOUR DISPLAY'S DISPLAY RESOLUTION - and have the display scale the signal accordingly.

IF you haven't been using the Toshiba at 1080i, it has been suggested by many people here that you weren't seeing its true capability. Mind you, that capability is there in the box, just might not be compatible with a user's display, just like the vaunted 1080p output capabilities of the BR players.

I think the reason is that to output 720p, I think the Toshiba goes from 1080i=>480i=>720p. That is two resolution conversions, instead of just having your display downrezzing it 1080i=>720p. Whatever the technical merits of Toshiba's design decision, that is the way the player functions, and to get the best performance, Toshiba advises you to set the player to output 1080i.
I'm not missing the point at all. I know all about 1080i and yes I have had the Toshiba set there, and yes my TV can handle it. When I change the player to 720p it does not look as good.

I just watched my second blu-ray movie (50 First Dates). How many of you have seen this? It looked absolutely stellar!

Well, I have basically been accused of being less than honest of my appraisal so far of blu-ray. I am beginning to think that those of you who keep your insistance of all that is wrong with it are the ones who may be dishonest. Frankly, I was FAR less than impressed with blu-ray the very first time I saw it at Fry's, but since then it has looked better and better each time. 50 First Dates honestly looked AS good if not better than ANYTHING I have seen on HD DVD so far! Both of my players are hooked up to the same display, through an HDMI switch box (now I suppose I am going to get doubts from some of you about whether or not the switch box is a good thing to view HD DVD through), and the two BD movies so far have looked absolutely terrific.

AGAIN, I am NOT panning HD DVD. It looks great too, but for god sake, stop panning BD until you see some good content!!
post #99 of 192 Old 07-10-2006, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiajay

AGAIN, I am NOT panning HD DVD. It looks great too, but for god sake, stop panning BD until you see some good content!!
No problem. But I've seen the BD and the SD and the BD is marginally better in the department of color. Otherwise, it looks pretty much the same as the SD, digital artifacting and all.

post #100 of 192 Old 07-10-2006, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey, at least they managed to get 50 First Dates right. :rolleyes:
post #101 of 192 Old 07-10-2006, 06:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

CalJay you have seen first hand what happens to anyone who says blu-ray looks great, You are immediately trashed and accused of not being able to see, Best thing is ignore them and enjoy what you like,
post #102 of 192 Old 07-10-2006, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
First of all I am not a Blu-ray hater. I had actually planned to buy Blu-ray and I may still if the PS3 lives up to the hype. I would grant that most people that are posting here are Blu-ray "supporters" but we feel that we should be able to critizise it's faults as it exits right now. I mentioned this in another thread, but Toshiba actually EARNED OUR RESPECT, and Sony has DISRESPECTED us by releasing the movies the way they did. There are a few Blu-ray fanatics that refuse to admit that anything is wrong. You need to realize that on the HD-DVD forum even the owners discuss what is right and wrong with HD-DVD now, and what movie titles are bad, and what the new firmware upgrades shortcomings are. That is the kind of discussion that should go on here about Blu-ray without some fanatics defending Blu-ray like their life depended on it.
post #103 of 192 Old 07-10-2006, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
First of all I am not a Blu-ray hater. I had actually planned to buy Blu-ray and I may still if the PS3 lives up to the hype. I would grant that most people that are posting here are Blu-ray "supporters" but we feel that we should be able to critizise it's faults as it exits right now. I mentioned this in another thread, but Toshiba actually EARNED OUR RESPECT, and Sony has DISRESPECTED us by releasing the movies the way they did. There are a few Blu-ray fanatics that refuse to admit that anything is wrong. You need to realize that on the HD-DVD forum even the owners discuss what is right and wrong with HD-DVD now, and what movie titles are bad, and what the new firmware upgrades shortcomings are. That is the kind of discussion that should go on here about Blu-ray without some fanatics defending Blu-ray like their life depended on it.

Swoop!!!! You just took the words out of my mouth, well except the PS3 part.

post #104 of 192 Old 07-10-2006, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinca1
CalJay you have seen first hand what happens to anyone who says blu-ray looks great, You are immediately trashed and accused of not being able to see, Best thing is ignore them and enjoy what you like,
Are you serious Kevin? Could there possibly be anyone more one sided than you? I'll tell you that if FOx releases Alien, Aliens and some of their other great films and it looks as good as the stuff on HD-DVD. I will most certainly buy Blu-Ray.

You sir will sink on the ship you are sailing.

post #105 of 192 Old 07-10-2006, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew P
I think people care about video quality. I could care less which format delivers it. I just want the best quality possible.

In my opinion, BD video quality does not deliver in any way, shape, or form. If BD quality ever approaches reference HD material (the reason why I buy HD formats) then I will purchase again.

Of course there are a few people who are enjoying BD now. Personally, I disagree with them and dont think they know reference HD quality, but its good that they are enjoying it.
Clearly, HD-DVD doesn't deliver HD reference quality either. With either BR or HD-DVD, if you stick your face a few feet from the screen, you can see compression banding - when you sit at a normal viewing distance, it's extremely difficult to see that banding ever in either format. Both formats perform well - I have both and will keep both, but anyone who is carte blanche dismissing BR as inferior is plain biased. T2, Underworld, and Ultraviolet all look stunning on my 70 JVC D-ILA, as do Serenity, The Bourne Supremacy, and Training Day

This utter nonsense of people re-stating that all the experts poo-pooing BR "can't be wrong" is getting tiresome. Both formats are good, both formats have some less than stellar titles, and both formats will improve. And both formats are for early adopters - even the $499 Toshiba is several times more expensive than the typical consumer DVD player.

So if you're looking for as much HD content as you can get, do what many of us have done - buy both. If you have budgetary limitations, then pick the one that has the better titles for you. Early adopters don't really ask the "is it worth it?" question, within reason. BR is not *worth* twice as much as HD-DVD. So? I want as much HD content as I can get, and like most of us here, have already spent *way* too much money on AV over the past several years (decades, even...) So NOW I'm going to get pissy about $1000 bucks?

Or don't do anything and wait until rev 2 or rev 3 units. But know that there is arguably no real-world difference between the best of BR and the best of HD-DVD right now. If you want to argue the value proposition, go ahead, but for me, that's not germane for a $500 delta.
post #106 of 192 Old 07-10-2006, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang
Clearly, HD-DVD doesn't deliver HD reference quality either. With either BR or HD-DVD, if you stick your face a few feet from the screen, you can see compression banding - when you sit at a normal viewing distance, it's extremely difficult to see that banding ever in either format.
No one sits with their face right to their screen....And of course the flaws of not only the format but the display itself become highly apparent. Most people are not complaining that BD looks bad when you sit 18" away. We think it looks bad when you sit 8 feet away on a 46" screen. But think what you want and enjoy the format that makes you most happy.

post #107 of 192 Old 07-10-2006, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang
Clearly, HD-DVD doesn't deliver HD reference quality either. With either BR or HD-DVD, if you stick your face a few feet from the screen, you can see compression banding - when you sit at a normal viewing distance, it's extremely difficult to see that banding ever in either format. Both formats perform well - I have both and will keep both, but anyone who is carte blanche dismissing BR as inferior is plain biased. T2, Underworld, and Ultraviolet all look stunning on my 70 JVC D-ILA, as do Serenity, The Bourne Supremacy, and Training Day

This utter nonsense of people re-stating that all the experts poo-pooing BR "can't be wrong" is getting tiresome. Both formats are good, both formats have some less than stellar titles, and both formats will improve. And both formats are for early adopters - even the $499 Toshiba is several times more expensive than the typical consumer DVD player.

So if you're looking for as much HD content as you can get, do what many of us have done - buy both. If you have budgetary limitations, then pick the one that has the better titles for you. Early adopters don't really ask the "is it worth it?" question, within reason. BR is not *worth* twice as much as HD-DVD. So? I want as much HD content as I can get, and like most of us here, have already spent *way* too much money on AV over the past several years (decades, even...) So NOW I'm going to get pissy about $1000 bucks?

Or don't do anything and wait until rev 2 or rev 3 units. But know that there is arguably no real-world difference between the best of BR and the best of HD-DVD right now. If you want to argue the value proposition, go ahead, but for me, that's not germane for a $500 delta.
I am looking for as much reference HD content as possible. Currently BD has zero reference HD titles. If they ever have titles that approach reference HD quality then I will buy them. I dont think this is bias. Just read the reviews. We all want more HD material, but if it reminds me of Directv HD then no thanks.

Money is not the issue, quality is the issue.
post #108 of 192 Old 07-10-2006, 07:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalmieri1203
Are you serious Kevin? Could there possibly be anyone more one sided than you? I'll tell you that if FOx releases Alien, Aliens and some of their other great films and it looks as good as the stuff on HD-DVD. I will most certainly buy Blu-Ray.

You sir will sink on the ship you are sailing.
Look at the post. they speak for them selves he was accused of not being able to see is this or nor correct. Then he was accused of being biased immediatkely is this or is this n ot correct? I have made no bones im biased at least i admitt it while others wont. he also was accused because he has only a few post of not knowing anything, Do you condone this??
post #109 of 192 Old 07-10-2006, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Exactly. I've been waiting for Blu-Ray to come out since it has the movies that I really wanted to see in HD. And then they deliver a big turd with Fifth Element. C'mon, that was a DVD reference disk and instead of a KO punch they delivered nothing. So I'll stick D-VHS for that title for now.

I had almost in interest in HD-DVD but I have to admit to being intrigued by their relatively inexpensive player and (current) superior PQ. If Sony screws up the delayed Black Hawk Down transfer, then I'll really be looking at HD-DVD.

Sony, IMO, needs to realize that video is the king. Dump that antiquated MPEG-2 and use something better. Audio is nice but I can "settle" for DTS so use those PCM bits on the image quality or extras.

So it looks like I'll have another few months on the sidelines waiting (for HD-DVD catalog titles or for BR to fix their problems). Its amazing that companies have managed to take the humongous success of the DVD and butcher the follow-on product(s) so badly.
post #110 of 192 Old 07-10-2006, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
This utter nonsense of people re-stating that all the experts poo-pooing BR "can't be wrong" is getting tiresome.
Problem is, people are reporting bad personal experiences with BD, and it would be even more tiresome for someone to say something along the lines of "you should believe ME, not your eyes".
post #111 of 192 Old 07-10-2006, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Fan
Hi,

If I've read the above correctly your TV only accepts 720p for HD? Does that mean for the past 3 weeks you have been outputting 720p from the Toshiba HD-DVD player for the 8 HD-DVD titles you have watched so far?
Actually, if he bought his 42" sony 1 1/2 yrs ago he probably has the kdf42we655 which it's native resolution is 1366x788p. 1080i source material i've found looks best on this set for upconverting 480i dvd's but xbox360 looked better on 720p. If you have the Toshiba, i'd reccomend 1080i.

I agree with the Opinion of people just frankly Hating Sony, and not wanting to end up on the wrong side of the fence. I remember as a kid, knowing Sega Genesis was better than The TurboGrafx i had bought (made wrong choice), but I would never admit it to all my Genesis buddies. And I stayed hard core until the end, and then I finally caved in and bought a Genesis too. My excuse was...Oh well they don't have mortal kombat on the Turbo...lol, but i had Gens Envy for years as they got all the cool games like sonic & strider and all i had was Bonk and legendary axe.

HDDVD owner: 360 add-on, HD-A30, HD-A2, A1
Blu-ray disc supporter: ps3-60gb, Oppo BDP-93
TV's: LN46B750 1080p-240hz LCD/kdl55hx729 1080p 240hz 3D LED

Link:Blu-ray Disc Fan Forum
post #112 of 192 Old 07-10-2006, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Let me guess...your another PS3 Fanboy.
post #113 of 192 Old 07-10-2006, 08:43 PM

I like both players and both formats. What a stupid topic!

Rafael
post #114 of 192 Old 07-10-2006, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
I'm sorry sir, you are completely wrong. It has nothing to do with a superior format. We like to bash everything, BluRay, HD-DVD and each other. We just like bashing, plain and simple. Why limit ourselves to BluRay when there are so many things that are messed up! Bashing is fun!
post #115 of 192 Old 07-10-2006, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I have HD-DVD and nearly all the discs. I have Blu-ray and nearly all the discs. What's that make me a double naut agaent? One format came out of the chute like Mr. Ed on steroids and another format limped onto the track like Francis The Mule with a broken leg. Which horse do you wanna ride jockey? I'm on Mr. Ed who jumped the gun. :D

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

post #116 of 192 Old 07-10-2006, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfgmdporsc
I like both players and both formats. What a stupid topic!

Rafael
Yaa-vold komrade! :)

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

post #117 of 192 Old 07-10-2006, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael Bellomy
I have HD-DVD and nearly all the discs. I have Blu-ray and nearly all the discs. What's that make me a double naut agaent? One format came out of the chute like Mr. Ed on steroids and another format limped onto the track like Francis The Mule with a broken leg. Which horse do you wanna ride jockey? I'm on Mr. Ed who jumped the gun. :D
So are you going to keep the Samsung?
post #118 of 192 Old 07-10-2006, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So are you going to keep the Samsung?
I stille muling back and forth. I durn near took the bloody thang back after watching The Punisher in Blur-o-rama. I haven't decided and I have about another 10 days to ponder it.

post #119 of 192 Old 07-10-2006, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub
I'm sorry sir, you are completely wrong. It has nothing to do with a superior format. We like to bash everything, BluRay, HD-DVD and each other. We just like bashing, plain and simple. Why limit ourselves to BluRay when there are so many things that are messed up! Bashing is fun!

Apparently he hasn't been through the initiation ritual where we all wear robes/capes while burning incense and chanting / criticizing the AV Gods for delivering us bigger and beter formats.

post #120 of 192 Old 07-10-2006, 10:27 PM

I wish we could get everyone here in the same room, put the exact same movie on the same type of display next to each other via HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, and DirecTV without telling anyone what the sources are.

I actually think HD-Lite from DirecTV might be the winner in terms of picture quality :D

I've seen both HD-DVD and Blu-ray a few times. My untrained eye sees potential in both, but hasn't really been overwhelmed by either at the moment. I was hoping for more of a "WOW" factor the way HDTV was for me compared to regular TV. But I just don't get that feeling yet with these formats compared to regular DVD. Hopefully in time one or both formats will get there someday.
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page