High Price May Turn Off Consumers to Playstation 3 Despite Blu-ray - Page 7 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 5  6  7
Blu-ray Players > High Price May Turn Off Consumers to Playstation 3 Despite Blu-ray
Fettastic's Avatar Fettastic 02:45 PM 07-14-2006
Whre's all this "PS3 will replace your PC" crap coming from? Can I use Word on my PS3? Can I print from my PS3? Can the PS3 prepare a financial report and do my taxes? Can I come here and BS with you guys on my PS3? As far as I know the PS3 will be good for two things and two thing only, playing games and watching movies. And there's a reasonable expectation that it will suck at the second one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
PhdWho's Avatar PhdWho 02:52 PM 07-14-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fettastic
Whre's all this "PS3 will replace your PC" crap coming from? Can I use Word on my PS3? Can I print from my PS3?.
Uh, Sony themselves.
briankmonkey's Avatar briankmonkey 02:54 PM 07-14-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fettastic
Whre's all this "PS3 will replace your PC" crap coming from?
people who've misinterpreted comments from sony. They never indicated it was meant to replace your PC just that it has some functionality that PC's do.
PhdWho's Avatar PhdWho 03:01 PM 07-14-2006
Besides defending the PS3, Harrison took time to evangelize the device, which will launch worldwide this November. In particular he said the Linux-based operating system on the console's hard drive will have enough processing power and non-gaming functionalities to render traditional PCs--most of which use a form of Microsoft's Windows OS--moot in the home. "We believe that the PS3 will be the place where our users play games, watch films, browse the Web, and use other [home] computer functions," said Harrison. "The PlayStation 3 is a computer. We do not need the PC."

Yeah, mis-interperted, not!

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/pc-gami...e-k-179882.php
briankmonkey's Avatar briankmonkey 03:06 PM 07-14-2006
He's right, if you are looking to do the functions he listed, you don't need a PC. Obviously there are plenty that want to do more than that and PC which can do those other functions would be needed. Taking things in which the context they are written makes things much simpler ;) Reading between the lines doesn't help, at no point did he say "PS3 will replace your PC"
PhdWho's Avatar PhdWho 03:12 PM 07-14-2006
"Speaking about the PS3, we never said we will release a game console," he said. "It is radically different from the previous PlayStation. It is clearly a computer. Indeed, with a game console, you need to take out any unnecessary elements inside the console in order to decrease its cost. ... This will of course apply to the PS3 as well."

http://www.businessweek.com/innovate...om_top+stories

IMO, it;s a lot of hot air from Sony once again.
They said this with the power of the PS2. Not to mention the dangers of Saddam getting 100 ps2 and building a super computer.
ChrisFB's Avatar ChrisFB 03:46 PM 07-14-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey
Reading between the lines doesn't help, at no point did he say "PS3 will replace your PC"
I don't think it's much of a stretch if any given this statement, "The PlayStation 3 is a computer. We do not need the PC," and then the list of functions for games, movies, web browsing "and use other [home] computer functions".

While I think it's a gross exageration and likely going to be far from the truth, that's about as close to 'replace' as one could get and IMO an admirable definition of the word that could only be closer by actually using the word itself.
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 03:46 PM 07-14-2006
The PC thing or computer thing is to get around taxes in Europe plain and simple. Toys get taxed higher than computers.
briankmonkey's Avatar briankmonkey 04:00 PM 07-14-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg
The PC thing or computer thing is to get around taxes in Europe plain and simple. Toys get taxed higher than computers.
they weren't very successfull with the PS2 in regards to that.
quickfire's Avatar quickfire 04:04 PM 07-14-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralt
Xbox 360 is still waiting for a killer game.
PlayStation 3 has no killer game in sight at the moment.

G E A R S....OF.... W A R..will sell a ton of XBOX360's...im buying a system as soon as this game is availible!
briankmonkey's Avatar briankmonkey 04:42 PM 07-14-2006
Gears of War looks to have a lot of potential. Has great graphics, very nice animations as well as a cool art style. Tecnically from the demo they still have a ways to go, the framerate isn't smooth and there is screen tearing which hopefully they will have fixed by release.
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 04:48 PM 07-14-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey
they weren't very successfull with the PS2 in regards to that.
Hence yelling about it now and pushing it.
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 04:50 PM 07-14-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfire
G E A R S....OF.... W A R..will sell a ton of XBOX360's...im buying a system as soon as this game is availible!
Totally, if it looks as good as it does now and like the mags have been showing, it will blow up the 360. I wonder if Emergence Day is the same as PS3 launch day?
rolltide1017's Avatar rolltide1017 05:02 PM 07-14-2006
GOW will definitely be a killer app and could be the 360s Halo. Mass Effect also looks like it could be a killer app and then you have Halo 3 next year. Looks like a pretty good killer app line up to me. I think GRAW is pretty close to being a killer app, I know it is one for me.
briankmonkey's Avatar briankmonkey 05:04 PM 07-14-2006
Yup, GRAW is what made the purchase worth it as well as future games and arcade games :) Some other good games but none that are really Killer apps in my mind.
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 05:10 PM 07-14-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey
Yup, GRAW is what made the purchase worth it as well as future games and arcade games :) Some other good games but none that are really Killer apps in my mind.
Well that speaks volumes about your mind :D . PGR3 is a killer app for driving fans that game is hard to beat until Forza rolls out and even then it is 2 types of racers. People seem to think 'killer app' means it has to have guns. As for the topic, the price of the PS3 doesn't turn me off but the launch lineup of titles do.
briankmonkey's Avatar briankmonkey 05:20 PM 07-14-2006
I'm warming up to PGR3 even though which I never thought I would as I hated 2. It's very good game for what it does. Its just that I like GRAW that much more.

Downloaded the full version of Mutant Storm Reloaded which I love, tons of fun in co-op :D

I have no idea what the PS3 launch line up is at this point.. Some of the games I really want aren't going to make launch most likely. Motorstorm looks awesome in the gameplay videos, Waryhawk looks very good as well (on foot stuff needs work still but looks decent). Resistance looks good and has potential, I just hope its not a ton of generic bad guys over and over again. That insonmiac action game in the jungle looks very cool though I doubt that will be out any time soon as Insomniac doesn't usually rush their work. Same with Assassin's Creed, no idea when its coming but I doubt at launch.

I expect the launch to be filled with EA games for about half then maybe 3 or 4 worthy games with the rest being filler. oh and RIDDDDGE RACERRRRR ;)
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 05:43 PM 07-14-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey
I'm warming up to PGR3 even though which I never thought I would as I hated 2. It's very good game for what it does. Its just that I like GRAW that much more.

Downloaded the full version of Mutant Storm Reloaded which I love, tons of fun in co-op :D

I have no idea what the PS3 launch line up is at this point.. Some of the games I really want aren't going to make launch most likely. Motorstorm looks awesome in the gameplay videos, Waryhawk looks very good as well (on foot stuff needs work still but looks decent). Resistance looks good and has potential, I just hope its not a ton of generic bad guys over and over again. That insonmiac action game in the jungle looks very cool though I doubt that will be out any time soon as Insomniac doesn't usually rush their work. Same with Assassin's Creed, no idea when its coming but I doubt at launch.

I expect the launch to be filled with EA games for about half then maybe 3 or 4 worthy games with the rest being filler. oh and RIDDDDGE RACERRRRR ;)
It's Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidge Racer!!!
rolltide1017's Avatar rolltide1017 05:47 PM 07-14-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey
RIDDDDGE RACERRRRR ;)
Classic! :D

Problem I have with Motorstorm and other early PS3 games is that they do not look anything like the videos shown at E3 last year. Sony set the bar too high for even themselves. This year at E3 they didn't show anything that justified the high price IMO. Motorstorm doesn't look any better the any racer out for the 360, in fact it looks worse IMO. This is why the PS3 will be a hard sell after all the early hardcore gamers and Sony fanboys buy up the launch units. Sony, for the past year, has burned into peoples heads that the PS3 is far more powerful then the 360 yet, the games they have shown don't even match the 360 as far as graphics ar concerned. I owned all 3 consoles last gen but, so far I will only be getting a 360 and a Wii this time around. Maybe I'll pick up a PS3 when the price drops to around $200 (if ever) but, Sony has not proven to me that the thing is worth $600.
RobertR1's Avatar RobertR1 05:48 PM 07-14-2006
This holiday season will really determine how well the 360 does in the long run. If they release some big hits and still don't sell a lot of consoles, the 360 will rapidly fall behind.
briankmonkey's Avatar briankmonkey 05:51 PM 07-14-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg
It's Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidge Racer!!!
I stand corrected
http://www2.sjsu.edu/faculty/wooda/oz/crab.jpg
Dralt's Avatar Dralt 09:49 PM 07-14-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey
Yup, GRAW is what made the purchase worth it as well as future games and arcade games :) Some other good games but none that are really Killer apps in my mind.
GRAW is killing me. :)

First, being a casual gamer, I can never find gamers who are as bad as me.
Second, the only people who do use their microphone have a nasty tendency to punctuate using swear words.
Third, spawn campers ruin the game for me.
rolltide1017's Avatar rolltide1017 11:04 PM 07-14-2006
Dralt,

Check your PM.
First ... 5  6  7

Up
Mobile  Desktop