High Price May Turn Off Consumers to Playstation 3 Despite Blu-ray - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #181 of 203 Old 07-14-2006, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Whre's all this "PS3 will replace your PC" crap coming from? Can I use Word on my PS3? Can I print from my PS3? Can the PS3 prepare a financial report and do my taxes? Can I come here and BS with you guys on my PS3? As far as I know the PS3 will be good for two things and two thing only, playing games and watching movies. And there's a reasonable expectation that it will suck at the second one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 203 Old 07-14-2006, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fettastic
Whre's all this "PS3 will replace your PC" crap coming from? Can I use Word on my PS3? Can I print from my PS3?.
Uh, Sony themselves.
post #183 of 203 Old 07-14-2006, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fettastic
Whre's all this "PS3 will replace your PC" crap coming from?
people who've misinterpreted comments from sony. They never indicated it was meant to replace your PC just that it has some functionality that PC's do.
post #184 of 203 Old 07-14-2006, 02:01 PM

Besides defending the PS3, Harrison took time to evangelize the device, which will launch worldwide this November. In particular he said the Linux-based operating system on the console's hard drive will have enough processing power and non-gaming functionalities to render traditional PCs--most of which use a form of Microsoft's Windows OS--moot in the home. "We believe that the PS3 will be the place where our users play games, watch films, browse the Web, and use other [home] computer functions," said Harrison. "The PlayStation 3 is a computer. We do not need the PC."

Yeah, mis-interperted, not!

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/pc-gami...e-k-179882.php
post #185 of 203 Old 07-14-2006, 02:06 PM

He's right, if you are looking to do the functions he listed, you don't need a PC. Obviously there are plenty that want to do more than that and PC which can do those other functions would be needed. Taking things in which the context they are written makes things much simpler ;) Reading between the lines doesn't help, at no point did he say "PS3 will replace your PC"
post #186 of 203 Old 07-14-2006, 02:12 PM

"Speaking about the PS3, we never said we will release a game console," he said. "It is radically different from the previous PlayStation. It is clearly a computer. Indeed, with a game console, you need to take out any unnecessary elements inside the console in order to decrease its cost. ... This will of course apply to the PS3 as well."

http://www.businessweek.com/innovate...om_top+stories

IMO, it;s a lot of hot air from Sony once again.
They said this with the power of the PS2. Not to mention the dangers of Saddam getting 100 ps2 and building a super computer.
post #187 of 203 Old 07-14-2006, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey
Reading between the lines doesn't help, at no point did he say "PS3 will replace your PC"
I don't think it's much of a stretch if any given this statement, "The PlayStation 3 is a computer. We do not need the PC," and then the list of functions for games, movies, web browsing "and use other [home] computer functions".

While I think it's a gross exageration and likely going to be far from the truth, that's about as close to 'replace' as one could get and IMO an admirable definition of the word that could only be closer by actually using the word itself.

Display:    Panasonic 65" VT60

AVR:        Marantz 6005

Speakers: Kef Q towers/rears Kef Reference center

HTPC:       Win 7 Pro with XBMC

Xbox Live: Arbitrage XXL

post #188 of 203 Old 07-14-2006, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 737
The PC thing or computer thing is to get around taxes in Europe plain and simple. Toys get taxed higher than computers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steam: Guts
post #189 of 203 Old 07-14-2006, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg
The PC thing or computer thing is to get around taxes in Europe plain and simple. Toys get taxed higher than computers.
they weren't very successfull with the PS2 in regards to that.
post #190 of 203 Old 07-14-2006, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralt
Xbox 360 is still waiting for a killer game.
PlayStation 3 has no killer game in sight at the moment.

G E A R S....OF.... W A R..will sell a ton of XBOX360's...im buying a system as soon as this game is availible!
post #191 of 203 Old 07-14-2006, 03:42 PM

Gears of War looks to have a lot of potential. Has great graphics, very nice animations as well as a cool art style. Tecnically from the demo they still have a ways to go, the framerate isn't smooth and there is screen tearing which hopefully they will have fixed by release.
post #192 of 203 Old 07-14-2006, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
they weren't very successfull with the PS2 in regards to that.
Hence yelling about it now and pushing it.

post #193 of 203 Old 07-14-2006, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfire
G E A R S....OF.... W A R..will sell a ton of XBOX360's...im buying a system as soon as this game is availible!
Totally, if it looks as good as it does now and like the mags have been showing, it will blow up the 360. I wonder if Emergence Day is the same as PS3 launch day?

post #194 of 203 Old 07-14-2006, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 243
GOW will definitely be a killer app and could be the 360s Halo. Mass Effect also looks like it could be a killer app and then you have Halo 3 next year. Looks like a pretty good killer app line up to me. I think GRAW is pretty close to being a killer app, I know it is one for me.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #195 of 203 Old 07-14-2006, 04:04 PM

Yup, GRAW is what made the purchase worth it as well as future games and arcade games :) Some other good games but none that are really Killer apps in my mind.
post #196 of 203 Old 07-14-2006, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yup, GRAW is what made the purchase worth it as well as future games and arcade games :) Some other good games but none that are really Killer apps in my mind.
Well that speaks volumes about your mind :D . PGR3 is a killer app for driving fans that game is hard to beat until Forza rolls out and even then it is 2 types of racers. People seem to think 'killer app' means it has to have guns. As for the topic, the price of the PS3 doesn't turn me off but the launch lineup of titles do.

post #197 of 203 Old 07-14-2006, 04:20 PM

I'm warming up to PGR3 even though which I never thought I would as I hated 2. It's very good game for what it does. Its just that I like GRAW that much more.

Downloaded the full version of Mutant Storm Reloaded which I love, tons of fun in co-op :D

I have no idea what the PS3 launch line up is at this point.. Some of the games I really want aren't going to make launch most likely. Motorstorm looks awesome in the gameplay videos, Waryhawk looks very good as well (on foot stuff needs work still but looks decent). Resistance looks good and has potential, I just hope its not a ton of generic bad guys over and over again. That insonmiac action game in the jungle looks very cool though I doubt that will be out any time soon as Insomniac doesn't usually rush their work. Same with Assassin's Creed, no idea when its coming but I doubt at launch.

I expect the launch to be filled with EA games for about half then maybe 3 or 4 worthy games with the rest being filler. oh and RIDDDDGE RACERRRRR ;)
post #198 of 203 Old 07-14-2006, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm warming up to PGR3 even though which I never thought I would as I hated 2. It's very good game for what it does. Its just that I like GRAW that much more.

Downloaded the full version of Mutant Storm Reloaded which I love, tons of fun in co-op :D

I have no idea what the PS3 launch line up is at this point.. Some of the games I really want aren't going to make launch most likely. Motorstorm looks awesome in the gameplay videos, Waryhawk looks very good as well (on foot stuff needs work still but looks decent). Resistance looks good and has potential, I just hope its not a ton of generic bad guys over and over again. That insonmiac action game in the jungle looks very cool though I doubt that will be out any time soon as Insomniac doesn't usually rush their work. Same with Assassin's Creed, no idea when its coming but I doubt at launch.

I expect the launch to be filled with EA games for about half then maybe 3 or 4 worthy games with the rest being filler. oh and RIDDDDGE RACERRRRR ;)
It's Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidge Racer!!!

post #199 of 203 Old 07-14-2006, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
RIDDDDGE RACERRRRR ;)
Classic! :D

Problem I have with Motorstorm and other early PS3 games is that they do not look anything like the videos shown at E3 last year. Sony set the bar too high for even themselves. This year at E3 they didn't show anything that justified the high price IMO. Motorstorm doesn't look any better the any racer out for the 360, in fact it looks worse IMO. This is why the PS3 will be a hard sell after all the early hardcore gamers and Sony fanboys buy up the launch units. Sony, for the past year, has burned into peoples heads that the PS3 is far more powerful then the 360 yet, the games they have shown don't even match the 360 as far as graphics ar concerned. I owned all 3 consoles last gen but, so far I will only be getting a 360 and a Wii this time around. Maybe I'll pick up a PS3 when the price drops to around $200 (if ever) but, Sony has not proven to me that the thing is worth $600.

post #200 of 203 Old 07-14-2006, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
This holiday season will really determine how well the 360 does in the long run. If they release some big hits and still don't sell a lot of consoles, the 360 will rapidly fall behind.
post #201 of 203 Old 07-14-2006, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg
It's Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidge Racer!!!
I stand corrected
http://www2.sjsu.edu/faculty/wooda/oz/crab.jpg
post #202 of 203 Old 07-14-2006, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
GRAW is killing me. :)

First, being a casual gamer, I can never find gamers who are as bad as me.
Second, the only people who do use their microphone have a nasty tendency to punctuate using swear words.
Third, spawn campers ruin the game for me.
post #203 of 203 Old 07-14-2006, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Dralt,

Check your PM.

Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version