Why in the Blu-Ray Forums is a belief that Sony and companies will start using VC-1 - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #151 of 157 Old 08-06-2006, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga
Which it is now switching too and that still brings up the same question I guess I should ask the new question:

Why in the Blu-Ray forums is a belief that Sony and Co. will start using any other codec besides MPEG-2 :D

No, that's half or at max, two-thirds of a question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 157 Old 08-07-2006, 12:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Off the top of my head one reason would be the Warner insider who was communicating with Mark, one of the mods on here. This fella talked about all sorts of things concerning WBs efforts for BD, and the Samsung unit they were using for compatability testing. His other statements have all turned out to be true (size and power usage of the Samsung, inital MPEG2 WB releases, etc) so there's every reason to believe him when he said WB would be using VC-1 for all subsequent releases after the initial wave of MPEG2 BDs. Throw in the comments Keith has made regarding compatability testing for his company's chips - with discs authored with next gen codecs - and it seems highly likely discs encoded with these codecs will be out fairly soon.

Why haven't companies publicly announced they'll be utilizing new codecs soon? Probably for the same reason Toshiba has made no public announcement of a 2nd gen player! Don't want to undercut what's already on the market.
post #153 of 157 Old 08-07-2006, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Issac Hunt
Off the top of my head one reason would be the Warner insider who was communicating with Mark, one of the mods on here. This fella talked about all sorts of things concerning WBs efforts for BD, and the Samsung unit they were using for compatability testing. His other statements have all turned out to be true (size and power usage of the Samsung, inital MPEG2 WB releases, etc) so there's every reason to believe him when he said WB would be using VC-1 for all subsequent releases after the initial wave of MPEG2 BDs. Throw in the comments Keith has made regarding compatability testing for his company's chips - with discs authored with next gen codecs - and it seems highly likely discs encoded with these codecs will be out fairly soon.

Why haven't companies publicly announced they'll be utilizing new codecs soon? Probably for the same reason Toshiba has made no public announcement of a 2nd gen player! Don't want to undercut what's already on the market.

Toshiba HD was just released a few months ago I don't know why anyone would expect an announcment for 2nd Gen player from them this early so I don't see how that would be related. I am not saying your sources are wrong but that is all we here is this source that source and nothing official. Everyone seems to think November is when the 50 GB DL will be available and any new codec by then so again I will just wait for the official announcment.

The 5.0 is here
post #154 of 157 Old 08-07-2006, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

You seemed to miss the point with my Tosh comment, since that was precisely what I was getting at. The same fear of undercutting pre-existing products could be said to be at play in both instances, warding against public announcements of upcoming improvements.

Just remembered that Panasonic have formally announced the setting up of their AVC authoring facilities in both the US and Europe. Yet another official reason to think new codecs are just about to be used on BD discs.
post #155 of 157 Old 08-11-2006, 12:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Cliff,

Your post above was powerful. Nice summary.

OT, I think Sony is on record as saying MPEG2 is best now because it is in place and people know how to use it, but as newer codecs (meaning AVC) become more refined they might switch over. It has been stated by Sony reps that MPEG2 with enough bits is todays best solution and BD has enough capacity for that.

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
post #156 of 157 Old 08-11-2006, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

It doesn't matter what SONY thinks. Sony is only one movie studio. Why do you guys care? All the other movie studios can release VC-1 titles on Blu Ray... Its not like Sony was going to release movies on HD-DVD anyway...
post #157 of 157 Old 08-11-2006, 09:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Isn't MI3 from Paramount set to be VC-1 for both HD formats?

http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...ILM-MI3-DC.XML

I'm not 100 percent sure, but I was under the impression that's the way Paramount was going to swing...

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page