Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 219 Old 08-21-2006, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoniner
No I don't think you got it. You seem to have trouble with things like that. Besides your facts were wrong and there is certainly nothing sensical about that.
are you surprised by this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 219 Old 08-21-2006, 10:03 AM

Quote:
No I don't think you got it. You seem to have trouble with things like that. Besides your facts were wrong and there is certainly nothing sensical about that.
what fact was that kiddo? :rolleyes:
post #93 of 219 Old 08-21-2006, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey
That would be a great thing for Sony. That would mean over 100 million PS3's sold. That is one hell of a lot of blu-ray players on the market.
Sony has already come right out and said that they will have a smaller percentage of the market in several years even if PS3 is a smash success. They have acknowledged that MS will have a bigger piece of the pie even if they maintain their spot as the industry leader.

It seems less and less likely they are going to hit their 2M goal this year for production. There is also a question of what attach rates will be on PS3. Remember that if Sony loses the estimated $300 on every PS3 sold they have to sell $400-$500 retail products, subscriptions, etc, before they break even on the sales of the device.
post #94 of 219 Old 08-21-2006, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That would be a great thing for Sony. That would mean over 100 million PS3's sold. That is one hell of a lot of blu-ray players on the market.
Good point. If even one out of ever 10 people that bought a PS3 went out and got a Blu-Ray disc for their player, that is an incredible amount of software sold. The other thing some people seem to be missing is that even if most PS3 users don't use their player to play Blu-Ray movies, it is still a forced introduction to the format which is very likely to lead to incredible consequences down the road once people actually make the decision to buy an HD movie player. Will they more likely choose the format that they are used to and are brand sensitized heavily too, or something that is brand new to their home? That is of course if HD-DVD is even around then.
post #95 of 219 Old 08-21-2006, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhdWho
what fact was that kiddo? :rolleyes:
You said the PS2 launched $100 cheaper than the PS3.
post #96 of 219 Old 08-21-2006, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2
Sony has already come right out and said that they will have a smaller percentage of the market in several years even if PS3 is a smash success. They have acknowledged that MS will have a bigger piece of the pie even if they maintain their spot as the industry leader.
True, but you seem to be forgetting that is a smaller piece of a much bigger pie. The video game market is growing.
post #97 of 219 Old 08-21-2006, 10:09 AM

NO, I never said the ps2 launched $100 cheaper than the PS3.

Take your time to read next time.

The PS2 dropped in price $100 18 months after it's initial release.

Meaning, you most likely won't see a reduction in the PS3 prices in it's first year.
The only exception to that is if the PS3 has horrible sales.

Please read more carefully kiddo, instead of just looking for a fight.
post #98 of 219 Old 08-21-2006, 10:12 AM

Quote:

It seems less and less likely they are going to hit their 2M goal this year for production. There is also a question of what attach rates will be on PS3. Remember that if Sony loses the estimated $300 on every PS3 sold they have to sell $400-$500 retail products, subscriptions, etc, before they break even on the sales of the device.
Sony reps/execs say a lot of things. I take whatever they say with a grain of salt. Recently Hirai has said :

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6156046.html

Quote:
GS: Now according to their report, by 2011, when the next-gen console market matures, the PS3 will have a 44 percent market share. Do you think that's a fair prediction?

KH: 2011 is, what, five years from now? So I really can't say one way or the other whether that percentage is the right percentage. My plan basically is to make sure that we keep at least as much market share as we have had with the PS1 and the PS2. We don't plan on ceding any of the market share to our competitors, especially after the cycle has gone deep.
post #99 of 219 Old 08-21-2006, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I read your post PhdWho. Can't you see how someone could read your post and see that you would have stated the PS2 was $100 cheaper considering you were replying to someone discussing the PS3?

Quote:
My apologies.

The "base level" PS3 is probably just a holdover until they can do their first price reduction next year.
Quote:
Price Reduction?

It was 18 months before the PS2 saw it's first price reduction.
And it was a nice $100 cheaper.
post #100 of 219 Old 08-21-2006, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

The name calling is pretty childish BTW and you need to stop it.
post #101 of 219 Old 08-21-2006, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Kiddo?
post #102 of 219 Old 08-21-2006, 10:21 AM

Quote:
I read your post PhdWho. Can't you see how someone could read your post and see that you would have stated the PS2 was $100 cheaper considering you were replying to someone discussing the PS3?
There was a $100 price reduction for the PS2 18 months after launch.

I know that must have been difficult to read.
post #103 of 219 Old 08-21-2006, 10:23 AM

Quote:
and you think calling you kiddo is an insult?

Still waiting for you to tell me what facts were wrong....big guy.
post #104 of 219 Old 08-21-2006, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Did you miss we've already been through this? Holy crap man.
post #105 of 219 Old 08-21-2006, 10:26 AM

The production issues for PS3, such as scheduling, logistics and quality control, would be daunting for Sony. They are obviously trying to do it right, but given the short time frame, it would be very difficult to meet the quantity goal with desirable quality standard. It would be difficult to coordinate manufacturers both in Japan and China. At the end there could be less consoles in the market at the launch.

Also, customer expectations tend to be different from quality standards. It is very likely that the consoles will meet the fixed “specs†but fail to meet customers’ expectations. Remember the difficulties Microsoft faced with Xbox?
post #106 of 219 Old 08-21-2006, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wei2008
Also, customer expectations tend to be different from quality standards. It is very likely that the consoles will meet the fixed “specs†but fail to meet customers’ expectations. Remember the difficulties Microsoft faced with Xbox?
I don't recall issues with the first XBox, I bought it day one and didn't have any issues really.

But with the PS2 on the other hand, wow, that was a wreck.

Lucky for Sony they were able to use their clout to fix that, though it took some time, good games, and actual consoles on the shelves.
post #107 of 219 Old 08-21-2006, 10:32 AM

Quote:
I don't recall issues with the first XBox, since a bought it day one and didn't have any issues really.

Lucky for Sony they were able to use their clout to fix that, though it took some time, good games, and actual consoles on the shelves.
Xbox has issues at launch but not on the scale of all the problems the 360 has had. Mine never had problems though, nor did my PS2 or cube. My 360 (knock on wood) hasn't yet but it's the only console so far where I've felt it's mandatory to buy an extended warranty.
post #108 of 219 Old 08-21-2006, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Xbox definetly had issues with launch. Remember the Thomson drives and all the dirty disc errors that everyone was getting? The only solution? Send that puppy back into MS.
post #109 of 219 Old 08-21-2006, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
The name calling is pretty childish BTW and you need to stop it.
maybe it is your attitude that is provoking it sparky
post #110 of 219 Old 08-21-2006, 10:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 77
Quote:
Xbox has issues at launch but not on the scale of all the problems the 360 has had. Mine never had problems though, nor did my PS2 or cube. My 360 (knock on wood) hasn't yet but it's the only console so far where I've felt it's mandatory to buy an extended warranty.
PS2 had far more problems at launch than Xbox360. There were a tiny number of people complaining about heat/PSU related problems with the X360. The biggest problem Xbox360 actually had was not being available in large enough quantities for the holiday demand (MS really screwed the pooch on that one).

On the other hand MS was probably smart to soft launch and get a head start on the competition than to wait till this Xmas and have to compete with Sony on the release of the new Playstation.
post #111 of 219 Old 08-21-2006, 10:36 AM

Quote:
I don't recall issues with the first XBox, I bought it day one and didn't have any issues really.

When Xbox was launched, there were some quality issues, at least according to some news reports. I am not a gamer and do not own a game console, mainly due to low wife acceptance factor, so I can't tell from personal experience, :) .

Edited: it could be Xbox 360, I am not sure.
post #112 of 219 Old 08-21-2006, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Xbox definetly had issues with launch. Remember the Thomson drives and all the dirty disc errors that everyone was getting? The only solution? Send that puppy back into MS.
It actually wasn't that bad. I had the Thomson and never had an issue.

I don't think is was even over 1% of units shipped, but who knows.

But that's to be expected with many electronics.
post #113 of 219 Old 08-21-2006, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCamel
maybe it is your attitude that is provoking it sparky
[yoyoniner takes one look at IronCamel's post history]

:p
post #114 of 219 Old 08-21-2006, 10:39 AM

Quote:
PS2 had far more problems at launch than Xbox360. There were a tiny number of people complaining about heat/PSU related problems with the X360. The biggest problem Xbox360 actually had was not being available in large enough quantities for the holiday demand (MS really screwed the pooch on that one).

On the other hand MS was probably smart to soft launch and get a head start on the competition than to wait till this Xmas and have to compete with Sony on the release of the new Playstation.
As for PS2 having far more problems than xbox360 at launch. I'd have to see some facts before I'd believe that. The number of people having issues with xbox360's was far from tiny. It's been in the news quite a bit as well as all over gaming forums. The good thing is MS has taken good care of consumers quite well for the most part.

Agreed on the other points though.
post #115 of 219 Old 08-21-2006, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

It could be that you accused him of getting his facts wrong when you were clearly the wrong party. Perhaps the fact that you take a pro BR stance in every post regardless of if you have correct information or not. It's all right Sparky. We still like you.
post #116 of 219 Old 08-21-2006, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
[yoyoniner takes one look at IronCamel's post history]

:p

As opposed to your posting history that is just now reaching 30 days. All with an inherent bias. I take back that liking you part Sparky. At least I won't have to deal with you much longer. High Schools should be back in session soon.
post #117 of 219 Old 08-21-2006, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
BTW maybe you're not getting it, but comparing the price drop history of a console that launchs $200 cheaper to one that launches $200 more expensive is apples and oranges.
Yep they are totally different. This time sony is having to put out a heavily subsidized more expensive system. So more than likely it will be even longer before we see a price drop in the ps3. Not only would a price drop anger BD partners it would seem like a financial impossibility since sony needs to recoup the 300-400 loss per console somehow (the average gamer isnt going to buy 20-30 games or 100 movies).

Also now the problem is how in the heck is sony going to meet production when they are bundling in hdmi 1.3? If its true the 1.3 chips wont start manufacture till october then the launch will be delayed or 1.3 hdmi will be a no go.

The ps2 was also head and shoulders the best tech on teh market when it came out. Not so as equal tech has been on teh street for 1 year by launch. The ps3 will also be greated by AAA titles from wii and 360. This launch is very different. Before sony had a downhill battle, now they are stairing up a rock cliff.
post #118 of 219 Old 08-21-2006, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
As for PS2 having far more problems than xbox360 at launch. I'd have to see some facts before I'd believe that. The number of people having issues with xbox360's was far from tiny. It's been in the news quite a bit as well as all over gaming forums. The good thing is MS has taken good care of consumers quite well for the most part.

Agreed on the other points though.
I would have to agree with brian on this. The one problem is that MS EXTENDED warranties on launch consoles when faced with the failures while sony made customers buy new consoles. I know this bc my launch 360 died when GRAW came out and that was a month after my warranty expired. MS replaced the unit free of charge in less than 1 week and gave me a free game to boot, PGR3.
post #119 of 219 Old 08-21-2006, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I disagree, I'd put the Xbox360 launch/ongoing issues a lot closer to quite common than "a tiny number". I just read a blog where an IGN editor said "Microsoft's new system is out and largely broken. Seriously, my 360 broke, miraculously fixed itself (perhaps Bill Gates e-mailed it to start cooperating) and then it crashed on me again. I downloaded the Saint's Row demo, got five minutes in and kaput. Every last editor I know has had similar problems. That is not a small percentage -- that's trouble. But I digress. Wii is on the way and with a ton of games. And then we've got Sony, whose PlayStation 3 -- despite having an official release date and two price points -- is without much major news in the last couple of months."
True this is just Matt's viewpoint but I have never heard anything like this about any console system in history. Maybe I missed all the widespread PS2 issues you're talking about?
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page