post #211 of 219 Old 08-24-2006, 11:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2
A major brokerage, who has analysts who study these companies and make phone calls to their inside contacts at suppliers, factories, etc, have made the call that Sony can't hit the numbers and the brokerage has lowered estimates.

They don't do that sh!t lightly, they have pretty good info that Sony is going to miss the production targets.
These were the same brockerage firms that claimed the PSP was going to be 400 dollars; that the PSP was going to dominate the hand held market because it was a superior piece of hardware. Brockerage firms are designed to aid their customers in selling and purchasing decisions. Their analysis on the situation is based off of the market, their own gut feelings, rumors and FUD, and anything else which helps them increase, or decrease, a portfolio.

They do no have to indipendently verify anything they say, as they are predicting the results, not making any claims to actual knowledge. What serves their customers interests is what ultimately counts. Yes, they take their jobs seriously, but that does not mean they can't error or over calculate. There are no finites.

Does that mean that Sony will beable to launch all the consoles they claim? Likely not, but no one is in any situation at this time to make any "solid" claims on the contrary. I "predict" and I "know" are not the samething.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 219 Old 08-24-2006, 11:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
We'll see. The level of hype surrounding PS3 is so high, that inevitably it's going to take a beating upon release unless Sony ships it with some as yet un-announced "killer app" that makes everyone absolutely green with envy who doesn't have one.

Certainly the blurr-ray feature is not going to have that effect, especially when the millions of Xbox360 owners can simply shell out $200 for an HD-DVD add-on for their Xbox and get superior video quality from a larger number of HD titles.
post #213 of 219 Old 08-24-2006, 11:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhdWho
The feelings must hold some weight, since sony stock dropped 3% on the Nikkei.

But yeah, grain of salt, like when reading reports that Sony will rule the world.
The feelings only hold weight because people don't stop and take a look back. We see people in this thread who have already taken individual quotes and wraped them into forms that was not its original intention.

"An indipendent sources says there were will be half the consoles, therefore, that means that Sony is only capable of this."

This is a great error in thinking, and just increases the FUD that is already out there.
post #214 of 219 Old 08-24-2006, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer
Likely not, but no one is in any situation at this time to make any "solid" claims on the contrary.
True enough.
Sony declined to comment on the situation.

But this is no different, and perhaps you were not guilty of it, of people claiming what BluRay and HDDVD would do, by just looking at the specs.

Turns out many were wrong, and many will be wrong with the current Sony situation.

It's all speculation, and it's fun.

I further speculation the PS3 will not launch this year. Most likely I will be wrong, but hey, Sony is Sony.
post #215 of 219 Old 08-24-2006, 11:25 AM

And don't forget, the article also stated that Sony selling fewer consoles is less of a hit on Sony's bottom line.
post #216 of 219 Old 08-24-2006, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemorel
PS3 Distribution Trouble?

Fiscal year is through March 31.
thats worse than i thought. wow, this is no good. I mean I didnt want to buy one but now even my buds may not be able to get their hands on one. I wonder how much of those units will be available at launch and where sony is going to push hardest. If they are smart they will ship most of the units here to the US to prevent a dry holiday season since the 360 is a no show in japan.
post #217 of 219 Old 08-24-2006, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer
But what was misunderstood? There is nothing in the Sony statement which claims that anything he said was incorrect in terms of how many consoles they will be releasing.

"Unfortunately Kaz Hirai's comments in the recent GameSpot interview regarding PLAYSTATION 3 production were misunderstood. We are still on schedule to ship 2 million units for our mid-November 2006 launch and additional 2 million units by the end of the year for a total of 4 million units."

So where are you getting your "cut in half" numbers? Seriously, there is nothing to read into.
Did you eve read Kaz's interview? He himself stated that they would be lucky to get 2 million out by december. This combined with the financial firm prediction is pretty much a lock that the ps3 will not have sufficient units. I mean if your so sure id be happy to make a monetary wager with you to see if your 4 million units by december holds up. I dont think even you believe the words you are saying.
post #218 of 219 Old 08-24-2006, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatti-man
If they are smart they will ship most of the units here to the US to prevent a dry holiday season since the 360 is a no show in japan.
Hell no, they better not do that. If they screw us Europeans over again after promising us a proper launch Nov. 17 then I swear I will start shooting people... in the face.
post #219 of 219 Old 08-24-2006, 01:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

gatti-man -

Yes, he stated that they will be lucky to get 2 million out by December, but his comments are "corrected" by the Sony statement, which re-affirms that there are no changes in their release quantity for this calander year.

The Sony statement does not infer problems, does not infer "half" the unit being sent out by this years end. The link was to the correction to Kaz statements, and not a confirmation of it.

I should have been more clear in my original post on this matter.
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page