PS3 still NOT in production - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 219 Old 08-20-2006, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
From the Sony's President's mouth: "We haven't started manufacturing [the PS3] yet."

Article below:

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?op...=3660&Itemid=2

So, Sony has less than two months to produce two million units of the most technologically advanced piece of consumer electronics ever made. Somehow I don't think they are going to make the Nov. 17th WORLDWIDE rollout.

My biggest question is how much retail space is Sony going to get for the PS3 when retailers know that Sony is going to blow it's wad on day one, with no replenishment before the critical Christmas holiday? I ask this because it's apparent that the PS3's box is going to be friggin HUGE and is going to require a large amount of shelf space; shelf space that (may) be better utilized selling Wii's or 360's, especially if there are going to be ZERO PS3's till spring of 2007.

I guess the biggest question of all is who is going to be able to afford a PS3 anytime soon? Sony might as well sell the systems for $1,200 for the next year as the majority of people that will be able to get their hands on this system and pay the $800 necessary to get out the door with an extra controller and two games, can afford another $400 and it would dissuade the great number of people who are going to buy a PS3 on release day just to resell it on eBay for $1,500 or more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 219 Old 08-20-2006, 04:57 AM

The hardcore PS3 fans, you know the ones that camp outside for 3 days will pay whatever price. There is no doubt in mind that the PS3 will sellout in the first few minutes it's released. Just remember how the 360 did when it first came out the gate. IMHO, the real battle is with the regular consumers. Will Sony be able to move their system with them. I know people now who will not purchase the 360 due to it's price. Wait until they see the PS3's price. Sony is coming out at a time where our economy is not the best. So I think it will be real interesting. The nintendo Wii is going to put a damper on things also with it's price point being so good. The biggest factor is going to be when customers see that the graphics are really no better than the 360. So then you start asking yourself what are you paying for?? I assume they will probably think to themselves we have blue-ray, but oh the surprise they get when they see it looks no better than a super-bit movie at this current time.
post #3 of 219 Old 08-20-2006, 04:57 AM

There are 3 certainties in life death, taxes and me getting one at launch no matter what happens.
post #4 of 219 Old 08-20-2006, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

There has been a lot said on this board and other boards around the internet about how Blu-Ray is not the cause of the delay of the PS3, but the cell processor is. Well, if that is the case shouldn't there be other BR players out by now, especially from the inventor of the format, Sony?

On another aside, the plus for Sony is that they will, at launch, have 2 million installed BR players, but how many of those will be the "real" PS3 and not it's non-union, mexican equivelent (without HDMI)?
post #5 of 219 Old 08-20-2006, 06:40 AM

This worries me that production has not begun. They also have to ship the items from China. By sea that takes a couple of weeks just to get to the distribution centers and then from there out to the retailers is another couple of days I would assume. Either wayI do expect them to hit their numbers. Maybe they will go by air. Also I agree with blakes 7 how many will have HDMI? The spec has just been finalized. Most receivers will not have 1.3 incorporated until the spring from what I have heard. Either way I think the WII will benefit the most from the shortages.
post #6 of 219 Old 08-20-2006, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdrforce
The hardcore PS3 fans, you know the ones that camp outside for 3 days will pay whatever price. There is no doubt in mind that the PS3 will sellout in the first few minutes it's released. Just remember how the 360 did when it first came out the gate. IMHO, the real battle is with the regular consumers. Will Sony be able to move their system with them. I know people now who will not purchase the 360 due to it's price. Wait until they see the PS3's price. Sony is coming out at a time where our economy is not the best. So I think it will be real interesting. The nintendo Wii is going to put a damper on things also with it's price point being so good. The biggest factor is going to be when customers see that the graphics are really no better than the 360. So then you start asking yourself what are you paying for?? I assume they will probably think to themselves we have blue-ray, but oh the surprise they get when they see it looks no better than a super-bit movie at this current time.
I agree with you except for the part about the economy. The economy is on fire! Unemployment is at historic lows. Interest rates are resonable. Oil prices are falling. Stock market is soaring. I don't think the economy will be to blame for Sony having any trouble selling PS3s at high prices. More likely it will be simple cost vs. benefit that determines sales. The die hards would buy up the first wave of systems regardless of economy anyway. What will be interesting though is if J6P will buy in meaningful numbers.

Stace
post #7 of 219 Old 08-20-2006, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

There are still enough people I think on matter what happens that are going to buy this for multiple reasons.

1) ebay because they think they can make a killing
2) fanboys
3) People that want cheap blu-ray

I think there are just enough of those worldwide that have enough money to make this thing sell out.

I think once bundle prices are figured in, it really will be out of cost for most people.

As far as them not being in production yet, I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe they purposely said this recently so that one of there big announcements they can make at the game show is that they have just started production.

post #8 of 219 Old 08-20-2006, 08:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlehman
Oil prices are falling.

Stace

????

On what planet is this happening?

http://www.oil-price.net/

Crude Oil Price Forecast
Price: $71.97 / Barrel
1 Year Forecast:
$93.56 / Barrel

Tell that to my gf who just spent $3.50 a gallon filling up the car.

;)
post #9 of 219 Old 08-20-2006, 09:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack
????

Crude Oil Price Forecast
1 Year Forecast:
$93.56 / Barrel

;)

It was near $78 a barrel a week or two ago, wasn't it?

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #10 of 219 Old 08-20-2006, 09:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You are looking at one week in a cycle? What was it 6 months ago? What was it a year ago? What is it forecast to be next year?

http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/6315/oilky2.jpg
post #11 of 219 Old 08-20-2006, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
????

Crude Oil Price Forecast
1 Year Forecast:
$93.56 / Barrel

;)
You quoted a FORECAST to prove that oil prices are not falling?

Oil prices are falling at the moment. The charts are readily available online.
post #12 of 219 Old 08-20-2006, 09:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

at the moment... funny.
post #13 of 219 Old 08-20-2006, 09:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

at the moment, funny.
post #14 of 219 Old 08-20-2006, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

There are other well respected analysts who have forecasted that oil prices will fall. Warren Buffet for example. His forecast is $60/barrel by the end of the year. Quoting forecasts though is totally meaningless. If they meant anything we could be seriously rich by the end of the year. All we know is that the prices are falling RIGHT NOW and that's the only useful information we have. That chart... no one knows what the next two years for that chart looks like... no one.

But back to the topic.
post #15 of 219 Old 08-20-2006, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
At this point, the eBay gouge posse is in full effect...they'll be the ones buying this thing at launch (assuming it makes launch), them and the truly faithful...

...and I need your sweet love, Latina T-Mobile girl!

post #16 of 219 Old 08-20-2006, 09:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, I agree back on topic. I was more implying that oil price in relation to actual gas price at the pump which is where I think it matters as far as consumers spending $. Living out here in Northern Cali, where it is now about $3.50 a gallon is just insane.

So question, would the PS3 possibly get delayed again with this news..?

:)
post #17 of 219 Old 08-20-2006, 09:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Yes, I agree back on topic. I was more implying that oil price in relation to actual gas price at the pump which is where I think it matters as far as consumers spending $. Living out here in Northern Cali, where it is now about $3.50 a gallon is just insane.

No.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #18 of 219 Old 08-20-2006, 09:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Then they had better get their A$$ES moving. They don't even have a beginning production date yet.
post #19 of 219 Old 08-20-2006, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Just got back form a short vacation. I see more toubles for Sony.... jeez, I really didn't expect that :rolleyes:
post #20 of 219 Old 08-20-2006, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 230
I don't think anyone in here has said they wouldn't sell out at launch. The question this article brings up is will Sony be able to hit there numbers. Seems to me that if they don't get production started very soon, there is a chance that they could launch with less consoles then the 360 did a year ago. That would be a disaster for Sony. Didn't they say at E3 that they were going to produce 1 million per month until the launch (or something like that)?

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #21 of 219 Old 08-20-2006, 10:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

The 2 million available at launch was to be split 3 ways between US Europe and Japan. Thats 700,000-800,000 or so for the US market through XMAS.

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
post #22 of 219 Old 08-20-2006, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Maybe they can get Santa's workshop in on the production? They can make alot of merchandise...

post #23 of 219 Old 08-20-2006, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In central Ohio were at 2.67 a gallon :D
post #24 of 219 Old 08-20-2006, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Maybe they can get Santa's workshop in on the production? They can make alot of merchandise...

They tried, but all the elves are too busy watching HD DVDs to bother. ;)

You have thirteen hours in which to solve the labyrinth, before your baby brother becomes one of us... forever.
post #25 of 219 Old 08-20-2006, 11:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

oh snap!

nakedeye, wow. We were in Kent until we headed west. Everytime the gf fills up the car, GRRRRRRR....!!!!!!
post #26 of 219 Old 08-20-2006, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I suppose the question becomes ... what does 'manuafacturing the PS3' actually mean?

Does that mean simply putting all the components into the case ... or actually fabbing the case?

This doesn't detail what state the actual components are in.
post #27 of 219 Old 08-20-2006, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Hirai stated, "We haven't started manufacturing [the PS3] yet. Some of our ops guys were actually just in China, and also in Japan just reviewing the [production] lines and everything else. But they are, again, preparing as we speak to get the manufacturing going. We've not announced and we haven't set really a specific date to say, 'As of this day we're going to start manufacturing.'"

"Since we're going with three territories, we haven't really come up with an allocation just yet," he said. "But even if you do the simple math you're talking about less than 700,000 units per territory, per major territory between launch and the end of the year. So even if there was some fluctuation--you give Japan more, you give the US more, what have you--you're going to end up with some shortages."

You have thirteen hours in which to solve the labyrinth, before your baby brother becomes one of us... forever.
post #28 of 219 Old 08-20-2006, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I wonder if the delay in production is a result of difficulties in production, or a reaction to a decrease in demand?
Either way, doesn't sound promising.
post #29 of 219 Old 08-20-2006, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

If you read the rest of the article, Hirai says he expects the PS3 to sell as well as the PS2, and that it will capture 60% of the market. So I don't think it's in response to a decrease in demand, as right now, we can't really gauge if there's a decrease in demand. If they're only talking about 700,000 through the new year, I have no doubt they will fly off the shelves.

post #30 of 219 Old 08-20-2006, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

I wonder what it was Asus produced then?

200k fluff?

Or maybe someone isn´t telling everything?

Quote:
The Chinese-language Apple Daily and Commercial Times reported today that Asustek Computer started shipments of PlayStation 3 game consoles in small volume since the beginning of July, with the first consignment to total four million units.
http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20060719PB202.html

Move this to PS3 thread please

Love!
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page