Samsung and prototype players won't play 50GB disc? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 200 Old 08-27-2006, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Bill didn't say that the discs were being replicated at a reliable rate. All he said is that the discs that they are using to test on the players are not faulty, and it's the player that has a problem. They could still have low yields AND no players to play the discs on.

You have thirteen hours in which to solve the labyrinth, before your baby brother becomes one of us... forever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 200 Old 08-27-2006, 04:57 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/

From Bill Hunt wow! you'll be able to buy both an Xbox 360 AND a Nintendo Wii for the price of a PS3.
LOL! Oh dear. Maybe, just maybe people don't *want* to buy a 360 or Wii! Ever think of that? See, people buy the PS3 because they want THE PS3 and also because it's NOT a Microsoft product.
post #93 of 200 Old 08-27-2006, 07:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_View
LOL! Oh dear. Maybe, just maybe people don't *want* to buy a 360 or Wii! Ever think of that? See, people buy the PS3 because they want THE PS3 and also because it's NOT a Microsoft product.

Yes! You can't let "evil M$$$$" take it all over! OH NEOS!!!!!!

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #94 of 200 Old 08-27-2006, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok I will just buy a Wii..That has been my intention all along simply because flashy FMV does not a great game make. Just to able to play Sega/Nintendo/Turbografix legacy games is good enough for me. But then again I have a Atari 2600 hooked to my Plasma. WARLORDS baybeee!!!
post #95 of 200 Old 08-27-2006, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

What is the reason that people continue to champion this format again?
post #96 of 200 Old 08-27-2006, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Sutliff
What is the reason that people continue to champion this format again?
Because HD-DVD is LP, and Blue-Ray is CD :D
post #97 of 200 Old 08-27-2006, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndjr
Because HD-DVD is LP, and Blue-Ray is CD :D

LOL,

So lets get this straight...

BD is so technically advanced that they can't get a dual layer disk working on a current player. Additionally, they are so advanced that they need to use a ten year old codec and ten year old audio encoding technology as well i.e. DD or DTS.

Hmmm :rolleyes:

My Home Theater Site:

DJ-Theater
post #98 of 200 Old 08-27-2006, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_View
See, people buy the PS3 because they want THE PS3 and also because it's NOT a Microsoft product.
See, people buy a 360 and a Wii because they want a 360/Wii and also because they're NOT Sony products.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #99 of 200 Old 08-27-2006, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The CE companies followed the specs for BD-50 inorder to assure they would play on their players when they were released. The BD-50 can't be manufactured to the specs or else they would play on the machines. They also can't manufacture enough of these things to make it economically feasable to even use them.

So which one is going to ignore the specs inorder to get these things to work? I see many lawsuits in BR's future.

I think it's a battery problem myself.:)
post #100 of 200 Old 08-27-2006, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Doogie
LOL,

So lets get this straight...

BD is so technically advanced that they can't get a dual layer disk working on a current player. Additionally, they are so advanced that they need to use a ten year old codec and ten year old audio encoding technology as well i.e. DD or DTS.

Hmmm :rolleyes:
You can`t use ANYTHING until you CAN! why don`t HD-DVD use 3 layers! 2 years from now I am watching return of the king in 40 mbit mpeg-4 video bit rate on 4 layer disc!
post #101 of 200 Old 08-27-2006, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndjr
You can`t use ANYTHING until you CAN! why don`t HD-DVD use 3 layers! 2 years from now I am watching return of the king in 40 mbit mpeg-4 video bit rate on 4 layer disc!
Now that's funny! I thought this was a serious discussion.
post #102 of 200 Old 08-27-2006, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trgraphics
Now that's funny! I thought this was a serious discussion.
ok then, 3 years from now :p
post #103 of 200 Old 08-27-2006, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Let's not get off topic with conversations about video games and 4 layers. Right now they can't get dual layer to work. Let's stick to that, thanks.

You have thirteen hours in which to solve the labyrinth, before your baby brother becomes one of us... forever.
post #104 of 200 Old 08-27-2006, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, this is amazing.
I knew Blu-ray couldn't play HD-DVD, but Blu-ray not playing Blu-ray is pretty pathetic.
Maybe the Blu-ray engineers should ask the HD-DVD engineers for help. :D
post #105 of 200 Old 08-27-2006, 01:27 PM

Thats it! I'm returning my Samsung today. Dropping it off to UPS back to Crutchfield. The man at Crutchfield wanted to know why.. Well your selling something that doesn't play Dual layer discs. This is a quasi-Blu Ray player now.
I'm sure this will be all over the news sites this week.

Will I get Blu-Ray again? Hell ya. But not till I know the player I buy meets all standards.
post #106 of 200 Old 08-27-2006, 01:33 PM

My impression seems that BD50 production has been ready to go but Samsung jumped the gun and did not wait for final production disk tests before launching. Now I agree that these things can be fixed via firmware update given that the drives are standardized. As long as the other players have their firmwares updated before their launches than no prob as I was not getting the Samsung anyway.

A good solution is to bundle a cd-rom firmware update with the initial bd-50 movie runs for Samsung owners to minimize the potential impact and confusion.

Of course this is all depending on what Bill is claiming is true.
post #107 of 200 Old 08-27-2006, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Note that even the protoype players can't play them, either. So it's more than just Samsung. There is some incompatibility with what the engineers thought BD50 would be like, and what it actually is.

post #108 of 200 Old 08-27-2006, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprmallet
Note that even the protoype players can't play them, either. So it's more than just Samsung. There is some incompatibility with what the engineers thought BD50 would be like, and what it actually is.
That blue ray can't get past the hard coating lol. I'm sure they will sort it out however it may not happen this year.
post #109 of 200 Old 08-27-2006, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Are you ignoring that this suggests even MORE that Samsung jumped the gun?

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #110 of 200 Old 08-27-2006, 01:59 PM

Couldn't it be that BD50s are not or can't be made per BD50 spec?
post #111 of 200 Old 08-27-2006, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not saying Samsung didn't jump the gun. I'm pointing out that the problem isn't just Samsung's.

Or, let me put it this way, suppose Sony/Pioneer/whomever cannot get BD50 to work on their prototypes. How long do you think they will delay before they decide to just go ahead and release it, and fix BD50 with firmware down the line?

post #112 of 200 Old 08-27-2006, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mr. Hanky,

I dont see why the situation suggests that Samsung jumped the gun. They built a player to the specifications given to them. The fact that the discs cant be made to the specs isnt Samsung's problem.

However, think about what you are saying. Samsung jumped the gun, because their player cant play DL discs. Hence, Samsung should not have released their player.

Indeed, according to this logic, NO player should be released unless it could play a DL disc.

If this were true, there would still be no BR launch, and their might not be one for a LONG time.
post #113 of 200 Old 08-27-2006, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

In the end, george, that IS the point. This isn't the way to launch a format. But Sony knew if they waited until they had worked out all the kinks, they'd be DOA. Some people will level accusations and say Toshiba released a premature player that required a lot of updates to work correctly, but there are still people that use firmware 1.0 on their players and have no problems, so that's really not true.

post #114 of 200 Old 08-27-2006, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.ramos
Also the whoile Blu-Ray in the PS3 thing is great given the price but again most people can't take advantage of HD cause most do not have HD tv's anyway.
The "most people do not have HD tvs" is the most short-sided statement that 360 fans can say.

Listen, higher-def discs are the next gen format. It replaces DVD. Although, its in its infancy. It's still progress. And that's how new tech works. Early adopters, it spreads, costs come down, then more people have it. Simple...

The PS3 is looking long term. I can't beleive you are actually suggeting that the PS3 should have come with a dvd9 drive. Please.... :rolleyes:
post #115 of 200 Old 08-27-2006, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by george king
Mr. Hanky,

I dont see why the situation suggests that Samsung jumped the gun. They built a player to the specifications given to them. The fact that the discs cant be made to the specs isnt Samsung's problem.

However, think about what you are saying. Samsung jumped the gun, because their player cant play DL discs. Hence, Samsung should not have released their player.

Indeed, according to this logic, NO player should be released unless it could play a DL disc.

If this were true, there would still be no BR launch, and their might not be one for a LONG time.

No, not at all. The fact that even pre-production models didn't have dl capability enabled suggests the that the function is still being worked out. You can design to the standard, but that doesn't ensure everything is going to work out until the physical media is actually in hand and can be tested. Samsung released ahead of everyone else, despite this, hence they jumped the gun. Now dl may still not be figured out entirely when the rest release their players, but at that time, the scope of the shortcoming will be more known. In that case, they are not jumping the gun, because the nature of the issue is no longer a mystery.

post #116 of 200 Old 08-27-2006, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

This thread isn't about the decision to use BD in the PS3.

post #117 of 200 Old 08-27-2006, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty
Induge me. What statement from any one in this thread, let alone the majority of posters is FUD?

Any speculation here is rising from the FACT that we haven't seen a DL50 release yet, despite having been promised it by prominent Blu-ray backers. This conversation is discussing why a former prominent Blu-ray backer with industry connections would say such a thing about the Samsung players DL50 capabilities. Where's the FUD?
The "promise" is your word. Not mine.

No...I'll wait for the PS3 and for BDA to release the DL disc. The FUD is YOU and M$ fans trying convince us to abandon the BD-ROM for the MICROSOFT funded product. Nope. Wont do it.
post #118 of 200 Old 08-27-2006, 02:19 PM

Quote:
This thread isn't about the decision to use BD in the PS3.

Don't you understand. It's all tied. PS3, which are also fans of Sony/BD-ROM fans, will NOT SUPPORT MICROSOFT. PERIOD!
post #119 of 200 Old 08-27-2006, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Dude, all mega corporations are evil and greedy. They wouldn't be a mega corporation if they were nice. Your paranoia regarding Microsoft has been noted through just about all of your 67 posts. Remember that some people regard Sony the way you regard Microsoft.

In the end, however, it's about which product is better, not who is supporting it.

Now, this thread is about the Samsung and other players being unable to play dual layer discs. If you continue to make off topic posts, I will report you to a moderator and suggest that others do the same.

post #120 of 200 Old 08-27-2006, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
In the end, george, that IS the point. This isn't the way to launch a format. But Sony knew if they waited until they had worked out all the kinks, they'd be DOA. Some people will level accusations and say Toshiba released a premature player that required a lot of updates to work correctly, but there are still people that use firmware 1.0 on their players and have no problems, so that's really not true.

It's not the ideal way, to be certain. However, the operation of a product launch encompasses far more than just the single dimension of does everything work as it was intended. You should very well know that your Toshiba player isn't exempt from this, either, regardless if the problem is widespread, random, or just a few users. That simply the nature of the "bug". The form of its consistency isn't always immediately obvious. Just because it isn't obvious, doesn't suddenly make it cease to exist.

Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page