post #1 of 200 Old 08-25-2006, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/

From Bill Hunt wow!

"I'm somewhat surprised to find myself saying this, but HD-DVD is quietly making Blu-ray Disc look pretty silly. Motivated as I've been by a desire to see this format war end quickly, I was quick to sing the potential praises of Blu-ray Disc early on, simply because it seemed to have the clear advantages of better technology and much broader studio support, plus the potential market-share dominance of the forthcoming PS3 game system. And to be honest, my very early experiences with HD-DVD were disappointing. Since that time, however, an interesting this has happened... the early Blu-ray experience has turned out to be pretty lackluster too. Discs have looked bad, the Samsung player is a disaster and Sony's over-priced the PS3 right out of the market (you'll be able to buy both an Xbox 360 AND a Nintendo Wii for the price of a PS3). Sony and their BD camp allies are just not delivering on the promise of their format - period. Meanwhile, HD-DVD software and Toshiba's hardware (via these firmware updates) just keeps getting better and better. And get this: Sony STILL can't get their 50GB dual-layered Blu-ray Discs to work right on the existing and prototype players. The current Samsung player, as shipped, will not play them. How do you like them apples? Ouch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 200 Old 08-25-2006, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Say it isn't so?!?!?
Considering how things have gone to date, I guess it really wouldn't surprise me. But I must admit I think this is a rumor considering there are not any 50GB disks yet to test with.
post #3 of 200 Old 08-25-2006, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, hopefully, we'll soon get some definitive answer on this, one way or the other.
post #4 of 200 Old 08-25-2006, 02:53 PM

I think people should be thinking .... lawsuits!
post #5 of 200 Old 08-25-2006, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Looks like you included the wrong link. The report seems to be no where in sight. Is this to simply fish for website hits?

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #6 of 200 Old 08-25-2006, 02:56 PM

Here's a link. It's under My Two Cents.

http://www.digitalbits.com/#mytwocents
post #7 of 200 Old 08-25-2006, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky
Looks like you included the wrong link. The report seems to be no where in sight. Is this to simply fish for website hits?
Hmm I actually just pulled the link from here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=715400 and posted it as imo if true it effects folks who bought the Samsung player as thus belongs in this forum.

OK here is the correct link http://www.digitalbits.com/#mytwocents
post #8 of 200 Old 08-25-2006, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm already angry about the pathetic quality of BD and the Samsung. If this player won't play 50gb, then there had better be some compensation for those of us who were hoodwinked into buying this crummy new format.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 200 Old 08-25-2006, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
This seems to be more editorial piece than legitimate news piece. You can pretty much say/claim anything in a blog and not be liable.

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #10 of 200 Old 08-25-2006, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/

From Bill Hunt wow!

"Sony's over-priced the PS3 right out of the market (you'll be able to buy both an Xbox 360 AND a Nintendo Wii for the price of a PS3).
Yeah and you'll have 9gb's max on 360, and a Gamecube with a new controller and online ability in the Wii...

you also have less HD space with Gamecube2 & 360 combined than ps3.
Resistance fall of man is 22gb's already on ps3 (take that xbox360, thought nobody would ever use more than 9gb? maybe you wont, thats right you cant!)
No blue tooth (can't even buy it)
You have to pay for online with 360 $50
You have to pay extra for a wireless adapter for 360 $99
You have to pay extra to play HD movies on 360 [prolly $200], and Wii...forget about it (not even dolby digital-weak!)
No HDMI on the 360 or the 480p wondermachine Wii
And the Wii will probably fall victim to only a handful of publishers like the Cube did.

So if PS3 is overpriced, then these machines (especially 360) are a flippin rip off!

Quote:
And get this: Sony STILL can't get their 50GB dual-layered Blu-ray Discs to work right on the existing and prototype players. The current Samsung player, as shipped, will not play them. How do you like them apples? Ouch.
well, this is all fine and dandy...but how does anyone know if the sammy wont play a 50gb BD when there aren't any out yet? Sony stated today 50gb discs will be out by years end... so i guess he's a little late on his schpeal.

HDDVD owner: 360 add-on, HD-A30, HD-A2, A1
Blu-ray disc supporter: ps3-60gb, Oppo BDP-93
TV's: LN46B750 1080p-240hz LCD/kdl55hx729 1080p 240hz 3D LED

Link:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 200 Old 08-25-2006, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
well, this is all fine and dandy...but how does anyone know if the sammy wont play a 50gb BD when there aren't any out yet? Sony stated today 50gb discs will be out by years end... so i guess he's a little late on his schpeal.

Hunt does get some reliable inside info.

post #12 of 200 Old 08-25-2006, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

He's also known to make mistakes, too.
post #13 of 200 Old 08-25-2006, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian@BBY
Granted, we don't know all the facts (yet). But -

From Video Business today:

Sony plans 50GB Blu-ray releases

Quote:
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment will release at least two Blu-ray Disc titles on higher-capacity 50GB discs this year, worldwide president Ben Feingold said last week.
You may recall this beauty from JUNE 16th, 2006 ONLY 2 MONTHS AGO!!!.

Quote:
"Our strategy is to have the best resolution," Feingold said. "We are devoted to increasing the bit rate as high as you can, and we're finding that even with 25 gigabytes we could use more capacity. So we are looking forward to having a 50-gigabyte disc available, starting toward the end of summer."
Why is Feingold saying that back in June when he knew it wasn't true? To give BD supporters hope for the future?
post #14 of 200 Old 08-25-2006, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian@BBY
Yeah and you'll have 9gb's max on 360, and a Gamecube with a new controller and online ability in the Wii...

you also have less HD space with Gamecube2 & 360 combined than ps3.
Resistance fall of man is 22gb's already on ps3 (take that xbox360, thought nobody would ever use more than 9gb? maybe you wont, thats right you cant!)
No blue tooth (can't even buy it)
You have to pay for online with 360 $50
You have to pay extra for a wireless adapter for 360 $99
You have to pay extra to play HD movies on 360 [prolly $200], and Wii...forget about it (not even dolby digital-weak!)
No HDMI on the 360 or the 480p wondermachine Wii
And the Wii will probably fall victim to only a handful of publishers like the Cube did.

So if PS3 is overpriced, then these machines (especially 360) are a flippin rip off!

not sure why you are trying to sound like a fanboy about it but what do you know that nobody here knows about the 22GB. We all have seen the game it looks good but no better then some of the other good looking games out. 22GB, okay simple from what all the speculation is they just don't have to compress. If Madden comes out on the PS3 and 360 and PS3 clocks in at 20GB for example and their is no difference in the game performance then we know it is all because they did not have to compress the data. So whoodi doo as long as the game is good I can give a damn if it is 256KB or 100GB the game is a game chill out with the fanboy 360 take that crap it is not an advantage really just less development time to not really need to compress is all. Still same results

Its been a year just about the 360 has been out you sound like this is news to everyone about the price of live and the other things you mention. Not really sure why you or anyone is trying to justify the price of either system but to you it may seem like a rip off but I don't see how it is a rip off to have a CHOICE to buy those accessories. Me personally I want a PS3....but not right now because the price and the fact that all the games that I would be interested in won't be out until Fall of next year or 08 so why should I bother buying a system when if their is a possible price drop by the end of next year then. Most the games coming to the PS3 are coming to the 360 anyway and if those games clock in the oh my god johnnie 22GB and give the same gameplay and oh some dvd like extra features then whats really the point. That is a lot of peoples thinking along a lot of different ways but you seem to be on some campaign to justify the price. No need for it really its old news really pointing out what is offered and what is extra for the 360 when it is actually doing just fine.

The 5.0 is here
post #15 of 200 Old 08-25-2006, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bferr1
He's also known to make mistakes, too.

True. And I hope this is one of them.

post #16 of 200 Old 08-25-2006, 03:35 PM

Not to get way into the game stuff. I know a few people in the game design industry for years. That 22 gig game for PS3 is before its even compressed. Game designers have 100's upon 100's of gigs of stuff while designing games. Dosnt mean it will be that big though in the final product
post #17 of 200 Old 08-25-2006, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If they do come out with 50GB blue-ray discs and use mpeg-2 it still would only equal HD-DVD`s 30GB AT BEST!
post #18 of 200 Old 08-25-2006, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemorel
Granted, we don't know all the facts (yet).
True, but it is rather expected that a few people run with this rumor and than include some Blu-ray bashing as well.

Quote:
Why is Feingold saying that back in June when he knew it wasn't true? To give BD supporters hope for the future?
Mike, what a surprise that you include some Blu-ray bashing :rolleyes:. Come on Mike besides not really being related to the thread topic have you forgotten about how HD DVD was supposed to be launched last year and that it wasn't until a few days before the supposed launch that we learned the truth? Also your stating opinions about this as though they are facts and do you actually know what Feingold believed back when that statement was given?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDS9E
Not to get way into the game stuff. I know a few people in the game design industry for years. That 22 gig game for PS3 is before its even compressed.
From the sounds of the article that is the expected final game size.
post #19 of 200 Old 08-25-2006, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hunt
And get this: Sony STILL can't get their 50GB dual-layered Blu-ray Discs to work right on the existing and prototype players. The current Samsung player, as shipped, will not play them. How do you like them apples? Ouch.
The key words here are "as shipped." The Toshiba players didn't decode 5.1 TrueHD as shipped, either.
post #20 of 200 Old 08-25-2006, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Paul
True, but it is rather expected that a few people run with this rumor and than include some Blu-ray bashing as well.

Mike, what a surprise that you include some Blu-ray bashing :rolleye:.
What the hell are people supposed to do? Praise this stillborn format? This whole thing is pathetic, I would like just one "rah rah!" BD cheerleader to admit that.

post #21 of 200 Old 08-25-2006, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The key words here are "as shipped." The Toshiba players didn't decode 5.1 TrueHD as shipped, either.

But everyone knew that the Toshiba wouldn't play TrueHD when it shipped. The Samsung was supposed to be up to BD "spec". What is the spec at this point, that the player lights up blue when you turn it on?

post #22 of 200 Old 08-25-2006, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndjr
If they do come out with 50GB blue-ray discs and use mpeg-2 it still would only equal HD-DVD`s 30GB AT BEST!

Actually, on 50GB discs, it can look and sound better.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #23 of 200 Old 08-25-2006, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819
Actually, on 50GB discs, it can look and sound better.

You can keep going back and forth with it but wasn't that expected of 25GB Mpeg-2?

The 5.0 is here
post #24 of 200 Old 08-25-2006, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Paul
Mike, what a surprise that you include some Blu-ray bashing :rolleyes:. Come on Mike besides not really being related to the thread topic have you forgotten about how HD DVD was supposed to be launched last year and that it wasn't until a few days before the supposed launch that we learned the truth?
Talk about not being related to the topic??? At least my points were related to today's (less than one hour before) BD Video Business article about BD-50, and the topic at hand. What the heck are you talking about? Something completely different.

Quote:
Also your stating opinions about this as though they are facts and do you actually know what Feingold believed back when that statement was given?
They were reported as facts. Feingold is worldwide president Ben Feingold of Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. If he doesn't know what is going on with BD-50 at Sony DADC then he is either lying or an idiot.
post #25 of 200 Old 08-25-2006, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Ya and how good has Samsung been with firmware updates up to this point?
post #26 of 200 Old 08-25-2006, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndjr

BINGO...!!!

you nails it !
post #27 of 200 Old 08-25-2006, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Sutliff
What the hell are people supposed to do? Praise this stillborn format? This whole thing is pathetic, I would like just one "rah rah!" BD cheerleader to admit that.
Well it is getting ridiculous that anti-Blu-ray posters regularly post on this section of the forum without even trying to mask their intentions. If you think that Blu-ray is bad and will not improve than you can certainly dislike it, but is it really to much to ask to keep the Blu-ray bashing in the HD DVD sections of the forum?

Quote:
Talk about not being related to the topic??? At least my points were related to today's (less than one hour before) BD Video Business article about BD-50, and the topic at hand. What the heck are you talking about? Something completely different.
Mike, you know quite well that you were posting something unrelated to the topic simply so you could bash Blu-ray in your post. Also what I posted was something that shows that both sides were at times optimistic in this format war. If you think Ben Feingold was lying does that not also mean Amir and several other HD DVD promoters were lying about the HD DVD launch last year? Or were they all just optimistic?

Quote:
They were reported as facts.
So was the HD DVD launch last fall until it was delayed. The point being that your bashing of Blu-ray seems rather biased when you never seem interested in doing the same to HD DVD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capek
Ya and how good has Samsung been with firmware updates up to this point?
No one knows until Samsung releases one but just because they don't release a new firmware update every month doesn't mean that they will be bad at it.
post #28 of 200 Old 08-25-2006, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga
You can keep going back and forth with it but wasn't that expected of 25GB Mpeg-2?
No, the whole 25GB disc took everyone by surprise. It was always expected to be better with 50GB discs. I think if you cut the HD-DVD disc in half and expected it to be better than a 50GB sized BD disc HD would have a difficult time as well. I don't think you could fit the whole movie on the disc without serious compression.

Tim Huey

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.
post #29 of 200 Old 08-25-2006, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHuey
No, the whole 25GB disc took everyone by surprise. It was always expected to be better with 50GB discs. I think if you cut the HD-DVD disc in half and expected it to be better than a 50GB sized BD disc HD would have a difficult time as well. I don't think you could fit the whole movie on the disc without serious compression.

Tim Huey
Actually there are several 15GB combo HD DVD out that exhibit exceptional picture quality like "Rumor Has It" for example.
post #30 of 200 Old 08-25-2006, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Sutliff
I'm already angry about the pathetic quality of BD and the Samsung. If this player won't play 50gb, then there had better be some compensation for those of us who were hoodwinked into buying this crummy new format.

I think this is an interesting situation. Not because the Samsung won't play 50gb disks, but because it HAS to play them. Now that the Samsung is out there in fairly large numbers, the production 50gb disks have to conform to the Samsung, not the other way around. If not, and the early adopters get burned that badly, I think it will kill blu-ray as a movie format. So the blu-ray camp has to keep tweaking the production lines until they meet the spec (or exceed it if that's what the Samsung needs) regardless of cost.
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page