Report: Pioneer Introduce Dual Format Drives?? (maybe not) - Page 4 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #91 of 167 Old 09-01-2006, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd2012
:p

He's talking about bandwidth, and you bring up disc size?
My bad. Trigger happy here.

I want to hear opinions from people who don't have a dog in the fight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 167 Old 09-01-2006, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland
They blew their wad with a cheap, clunky player that puts out a decent picture. Sony has all the cards. Blu Ray will win.
So how does an expensive, clunky player that puts out a bad picture win?
post #93 of 167 Old 09-01-2006, 04:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo3
Easy, they'll put out players that are even more expensive with fewer features (no CD) and PQ that's equally bad. But they'll have good marketing.
post #94 of 167 Old 09-01-2006, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First of all....will this pc drive even be allowed to happen?

Second of all...both my HD-A1 and RCA are/were clunky....theres no use trying to smooth over the facts.
If this pc drive is allowed to be made by both formats....I don't see a stand alone happening in the wake of the failed attempts by Samsung and LG.

I agree with Jeff that BD will most likely still win.....if indeed there is a winner and both formats don't remain nitchie until there death.

This is of course assuming the P/Q is better than most of the initial launch....and things like Fox having DTS master audio @ 24 bit on every release actually happen.
BD just has too much backing them imo.....and its still there war....when they get around to starting it....to lose.

Until then....I will have to get by with hd dvd. ;)
post #95 of 167 Old 09-01-2006, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Look at Boss :)

I want to hear opinions from people who don't have a dog in the fight.
post #96 of 167 Old 09-01-2006, 04:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 13
You mean Bose, Boss makes great music products.

;)
post #97 of 167 Old 09-01-2006, 05:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
By having more titles, better titles, and the ability to throw a BD movie into your Playstation. HD DVD has none of that.

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #98 of 167 Old 09-01-2006, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Even with the possible introduction of dual format Blu-Ray has a significant edge. The reason is capacity.......50GB is out now in small numbers, as the manufacturing process matures, yields will increase and costs will come down. Using more space efficient encoding codecs, will give Blu-Ray the added benefit to offer the consumer more value on the disks, be it extras or extended versions of the movie(s)etc . As a consumer, I know which disk format I will purchase, once the PQ is at least equal.......the one that gave me more value on the disk of course :D .

Yes! I have the people say that they don't give a damn about extras etc........but the Mr/Ms Consumer does......say how many extras on your Cell/Mobile Phone do you not use, but were nice to have anyway ;) Know what I mean!

So once the image quality on Blu-Ray is equal or better than HD-DVD, even if dual format players were available, Blu-Ray software will out sell HD-DVD for the afore mentioned reason(s).

Even if dual format players are released it's the software sales that will decide the longer term existence of the dual format hardware.

Prediction: Gen1 Separate HD-DVD and Blu-Ray players

Gen2 Some dual format players

GenX Blu-Ray players only or a combination disk(unlikely)

May the success of a Nation be judged not by its collective wealth nor by its power, but by the contentment of its people.
Hiran J Wijeyesekera - 1985.
post #99 of 167 Old 09-01-2006, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I think the studios would prefer a single format over a combo drive/player. One, if you have Blu-ray and HD-DVD coexisting, then presumably some studios will pick Blu-ray and some HD-DVD, just like today (studios that release in both formats will presumably pick one to eliminate having to pay fees to both Blu-ray and HD-DVD licensing groups). That means marketing money will be split and that blunts the impact of pushing the next generation format. Also, the economies of scales will not be as great as it would be if there was only one format. The cost of both HD-DVD and Blu-ray media, production equipment, software licensing, etc. would never be as cheap as it would be if it was all HD-DVD or all Blu-ray. It seems to me that the economics of the matter pushes studios to favor one format instead of two and at the end of the day, this format war is about money for both sides so I don't think these combo players - if they even get released - ends anything. The format war will continue.
post #100 of 167 Old 09-01-2006, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDS9E
not going to get involved in the format war stuff, but had to respond to this

I have a few friends who work in the gaming industry designing games for both of the next gen systems. In this day and age Video games do not need 50 gig discs. Hell they do not even need 15/25/30 gig discs. Not even close. All that talk of games coming out on the PS3 being 24 gigs in size already is all a publicity stunt. All games for 360/PS3 are that big while being made, and most are lot bigger . Thats before the game is compressed. Computer Games have always been way ahead on graphic power. 99% of those games do not even fill up a 9 gig DVD yet. Take a look at Oblivion on the PC and 360. One of the biggest single player games , with some of the best graphics you will ever see. Dosnt even comes close to needing more space.

Years down the road (say 10) maybe. Not now, and not in this generation
With this added capacity may be they can put The Game and The Movie on the same disk and sell it as a special edition and call it the "Mome" or "Gavie"......the gravy train version ahhh! :D

May the success of a Nation be judged not by its collective wealth nor by its power, but by the contentment of its people.
post #101 of 167 Old 09-01-2006, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland
I am surprised that a somewhat buggy $500 player has created so much passion so early in the game. Sony, the BD inventor, doesn't even have their first player out and already many have couinted them out.... What's that about?? That's like counting out a potential Superbowl winner if they lose the first game of a 16 game season..... my point.
But you've counted out HD-DVD, even though their second generation isn't even out. Not logical. Think about it. Nothing wrong with believing that Blu-ray will win long term, but to say emphatically that you know how things will go - when you don't - is what pissed people off.
post #102 of 167 Old 09-01-2006, 06:56 PM

The Bland;

All I can say is "Sony, no Baloney", has never played with a full deck, except with the one product that was once perfect! The Trinitron CRT, PAST HISTORY! Every product they come out with is inferior, overpriced, and proprietary!

They don't like to share(play nice with others) and greed will eventually take them down in the consumers eye!

There, I feel much better now, being a long time owner for the last 25 yrs of trinitron tv's.( Including a 25" pro-feel studio monitor that cost $1500 in 1983). The last one, a wega 32" for $1200 bucks, that I bought from Bestbuy 4 yrs ago. I went thru 3 before I got one that worked. It lasted for 4 yrs, and died.

That was the last Sony product for me.

I'm the proud owner of a 7 month old Panny 50" 8uk, which blows me away to this day!
post #103 of 167 Old 09-01-2006, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 19
the thing with the PS3 though, its not satisfying a need (in regards to Bd movie playback) that currently exists beyond a small niche group- and if the majority of that group buys the console as a cheap way to get Bd movie playback- moreso than for gaming purposes- then it really doesn't further the format- just take money away from the CE partners who lose a dedicated player sale.
Unlike the PS2 which offered a feature at a time when there was already a demand for and mass migration to that particualr feature, the PS3 partly has the job of creating that demand now- creating demand for what is still an evolutionary change to media rather than a revolutionary one. A much different task.
post #104 of 167 Old 09-01-2006, 07:16 PM

Funny thing is Sony is not making a Blu-ray player, Pioneer is doing it for them so thats a moot point.

Now what you can take from this is the same thing that happened with recordable dvd media , you had multiple formats at first, now all recorders use all the available media on the market without issue, its all about cost.

Now running with that , when not if combo drives get going, HD DVD disc will be touted as the cheaper alternative, while Sony will take blu-ray upscale and use it much like Superbit was used, as something that COULD provide greater quality at a higher price point.

Oh yes, and the ps3 won't help blu-ray, seeing as ps2 didn't help dvd at all ;) add to that most of the early ps2's over heated and shut down while playing dvd movies and the quality was and is still something to be desired, (the xbox and the 360 are only a tad bit greater in quality than a ps2)
post #105 of 167 Old 09-01-2006, 07:19 PM

Looks like I'll be following the sales for these formats closely for the next Q :)

Facts speak louder than words and bravado. The truth is about to set in...in another 10 weeks or so. We'll know who's right.....
post #106 of 167 Old 09-01-2006, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by plazman
Looks like I'll be following the sales for these formats closely for the next Q :)

Facts speak louder than words and bravado. The truth is about to set in...in another 10 weeks or so. We'll know who's right.....
it's going to take much longer than that. The PS3 will be in homes, but you have to see week in and week out how many Bd movies are selling. I would think that 2007 will be half over before you can really start to make assertions about the attach rates for PS3 players sold in Q4 06.
post #107 of 167 Old 09-01-2006, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

4 pages of OFF TOPIC discussions... And nobody questioned the validity of the ONE source this info is from. The Register.

fuad

"DonÂt let them tell you who you are is not enough, that itÂs wrong and that you wonÂt find love. DonÂt let them use my life to put your future down, or tell you that happiness canÂt be found."
post #108 of 167 Old 09-01-2006, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

It's all about the PQ!!!!!!!!!!!!! HD-DVD Rules!
post #109 of 167 Old 09-01-2006, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WriteSimple
4 pages of OFF TOPIC discussions... And nobody questioned the validity of the ONE source this info is from. The Register.

fuad

They announced plans for the drive at IFA.
post #110 of 167 Old 09-01-2006, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityscapex5
It's all about the PQ!!!!!!!!!!!!! HD-DVD Rules!

It's all about the PQ!!!!!!!!!!!!! HD-DVD DON`T Rules!

not in a year from now anyway!!!
post #111 of 167 Old 09-01-2006, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceJ
They announced plans for the drive at IFA.
Yeah, I was looking for more info, and found a few German-language sites. Here is an English translation of one of the articles. Sounds pretty official, but I'm not familar with the site.
Quote:
At the latest with the third equipment generation the drive assemblies are to be able to read also hp DVDs.
And:
Quote:
Momentarily the mass production is braked Blu ray and Hp-DVD-drive assemblies by the limited availability by blue laser diodes. Brancheninsider speak of very small production yields between 10 and 13 per cent, which Sony and Nichia would reach at present.
Even thought it came out as hp DVD; the second quote uses the same terminology (except with a dash), and it mentions this "hp-DVD" using blue lasers. So despite the translation it looks like the intent of the original post in this thread matches what they are saying.

I also found a few other, similar articles. I still haven't found a Pioneer press release stating this to be the case, though.

Hal
post #112 of 167 Old 09-02-2006, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Funnily enough HP-DVD is in fact a genuine product being pushed by Hewlett Packard.
post #113 of 167 Old 09-02-2006, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It's all about the PQ
Nonsense. I wish it was. HD-DVD deserves to be the winner on merit since there is no need for any other format. It has the superb PQ, AQ, build quality, consistency, customer support, etc. etc. But the reality is that it is NEVER only about quality. Blu-ray will not match HD-DVD but will get close enough so that the rest of what it brings to the table (CEs, studios) will make it the clear favorite if there is to be a winner. HD-DVD's best hope is to co-exist with Blu-ray and combo players be available from all the maufacturers.
post #114 of 167 Old 09-02-2006, 01:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lampert
Nonsense. I wish it was. HD-DVD deserves to be the winner on merit since there is no need for any other format. It has the superb PQ, AQ, build quality, consistency, customer support, etc. etc. But the reality is that it is NEVER only about quality. Blu-ray will not match HD-DVD but will get close enough so that the rest of what it brings to the table (CEs, studios) will make it the clear favorite if there is to be a winner. HD-DVD's best hope is to co-exist with Blu-ray and combo players be available from all the maufacturers.
What makes you say "Blu-ray will not match HD-DVD"(in PQ). Though I am a Blu-Ray supporter based on it's superior technical specifications, I will not support it if it's PQ & AQ say in the near future was below that of Hd-Dvd.

post #115 of 167 Old 09-02-2006, 01:50 AM

Yea, ironically, at the moment Sony is playing the VHS role...
post #116 of 167 Old 09-02-2006, 04:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'll believe it when I see it.

post #117 of 167 Old 09-02-2006, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lampert
Blu-ray will not match HD-DVD
I don't understand why you would say this. They both have the same codecs in their specs, and so far it seems like quite a few even use the same decoding chipsets.
Any picture quality difference will come down to mastering, which is largely seperate to the format.

With a dual format drive it wouldn't be particularly relevent anyway, just buy whatever movie you want.
post #118 of 167 Old 09-02-2006, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by builty
I don't understand why you would say this. They both have the same codecs in their specs, and so far it seems like quite a few even use the same decoding chipsets.
Any picture quality difference will come down to mastering, which is largely seperate to the format.

With a dual format drive it wouldn't be particularly relevent anyway, just buy whatever movie you want.
The Samsung even added a genesis deinterlacer chip before the output, but that may prove to be a mistake as deinterlacers can be finicky with borderline content.

However, the problem is the first few content produced, or more specifically, the digital transfer from film to raw digital YUV, and this is why the BDA camp did not make the same impressive showing as the HD-DVD camp --- the choice of movies to release first was flawless on the HD-DVD camp and amateurish on the BDA camp.

If BDA had chosen Ultraviolet among their first transfer (like Serenity for HD-DVD), the perception could have been different.

Some of the later HD-DVD transfers such as sleepy hollow are more pedestrian and match many of the BD transfers, though I have yet to see anything as bad as HoFD and TFE from the BD camp.
post #119 of 167 Old 09-02-2006, 06:42 AM

It is interesting to see the discussion go round and round

Sony rarely if ever takes a price leadership position, and this market is going to be price elastic, J6p looks for price/value. Sony's financial position will only let them support the market by so much. The amount of money Microsoft has to invest to increase Sony's loss per box is minimal. The old adage loose on each and make it up in volume can be financially painful.

Sony's deals with the Hollywood studios was based on an expectation of attachment rates and sales of BD to be played on PS3. Signing up for support, making initial releases where Sony is underwriting most of the cost of production is one thing, if the BD versions are not selling, and the HD Versions are, Hollywood will change camps in a heart beat. Hollywood is famous for friends are friends but business is business. If Sony is selling PS3's and Hollywood is not getting the sell thru BD movie sales, the romance will be over.

The Microsoft/toshiba camp has played it very cleverly
They entered the market at half of where BD was pricing the Player

Sony saddles every PS3 system with a BD drive. All you need is another BD laser production problem/ or any technical glitch, and all PS3 deliveries are impacted. In addition none of the games are going to use the capability, and it is totally unknown how many gamers who want a ps3 are also going to want to BUY BD content AND also put the ps3 in the home theater to watch it on a HD display.

Microsoft offers HD DVD as an option, an inexpensive add on option, IF you want HD playback on you xbox 360 here is an economical way to get it, but Xbox is totally protected, no worries about blu laser problems no problems about games media production, no problems about media production problems.

Microsoft knows this is a sofware deal long term not a hardware deal, already Sony has been embarassed with low PQ based on using mpeg2 and now we are seeing a move over the Microsoft originated VC-1 for some of the studios

All Microsoft has to do to wipe out the PS3 advantage is to announce support for the HD DVD drive from the xbox 360 also works on your PC. Even if they just limited it to Vista the potential attach rate is an order of magnitude greater, and simply selling the drive.

Microsoft is playing it very cleverly supporting the studio's with VC-1 working hard to not burn any bridges, Meanwhile Sony is going to make extremely difficult for any of the CE manufacturers to even get product built with all the key short supply components going to PS3.
I think Microsoft sees that this market is going to follow a path similar to cd record business with online downloads the way of the future so it is more important to have things like MC and the ability to load the content to devices, than the physical media it is delivered on.

Just like ROOT kit and Sony's attempt at protection on cd's people will realize that this is more about DRM and Sony's desire for fanatical control of music/movies/games.

Sony sold the studios
This is a format that is totally un crackable/ totally fool proof copy protection (will the customer revolt, or will like every other system it be compromised, and at the same time the build in BD+ protection prove too draconian)

There will be millions of players out there (PS3) (the number keeps dropping and the delivery date has certainly slipped from their initial promises)

Sony is really the only game in town (remember most of the deals were before Microsoft/Intel made their support decision)

SONY is gambling on meeting or exceeding expectations, and it is a big gamble. Sony's track record for new formats is certainly less then stellar Beta,MD, Digital8, UMD. They know that this is probably one of the last if not the last format wars for a while in entertainment physical media delivery with the next gen likely to be download.

For Hollywood it is a minor deal, deep down they could care less who wins, they want to see increased sales, especially of their IP catalog, and as long as it does not cost them, they will support who ever is winning, and changing is relatively painless.

John
post #120 of 167 Old 09-02-2006, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

John....you really believe that M/S gives two chits about who wins....there in this for there codec.

I also find it very funny that nobody ever mentions redbook cd as a Sony plus.

Anyone saying that BD will never look as good....which it clearly already has with MPEG-2 and only 16.8 gb of space used in one instance....please tell us what else you see in your crystal ball about the upcoming war......and throw in a few stock tips please. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page