post #91 of 236 Old 09-06-2006, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by b.greenway
Anyone else consider the timing of the announcement? Right after the Leipzig game show and IFA in Berlin. I guess they wanted enough time to get out of town before giving Europe the middle finger.

:D :eek: ;)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 236 Old 09-06-2006, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark0
Also Sony is giving Japan the snub too. Only 20% of the PS3's where they supposedly hold maret dominance. Seems like Sony is dismissing Europe and Japan and will only fight the fight here in North America. It's too bad because I don't see them winning here either.
This is interesting. How will Japan take it ? Will the reaction force a reallocation of the 500K launch consoles ?
post #93 of 236 Old 09-06-2006, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by b.greenway
Anyone else consider the timing of the announcement? Right after the Leipzig game show and IFA in Berlin. I guess they wanted enough time to get out of town before giving Europe the middle finger.
They are weasels I'm tellin ya. No spine.
post #94 of 236 Old 09-06-2006, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga
So with that said you think everyone on AVS Forum has an HDTV. Sorry I don't see everyone going out to add another $500 dollars on top of $500-600 dollars on top of an average of another $150 dollars for games and at least an extra controller. Not even every hardcore gamer has an HDTV.

How does a person not know what they are doing because they didn't buy an HDTV before getting the system? I know alot of individuals here that don't have an HDTV and purchase a 360 and want to purchase a PS3 but still don't have an HDTV and they are not trying to get a $500 26 in screen in their main room either. Thats bedroom and computer desk playing. You keep forgetting about parents. It is still a game machine some kids and even grownups still don't know or don't care about HD and want a PS3. You really believe they are not out there?
instead of making baseless claims, why dont you post something worthwhile? here's a quote from Peter Moore, head of Microsoft's new Interactive Entertainment unit:

Quote:
In fact, Xbox 360 is the killer app for HDTV adoption. It's driving HDTV monitor sales. A recent study concluded that 9 out of 10 Xbox 360 owners have either purchased or intend to purchase an HDTV in the next six months. And 90 percent of them say that it was Xbox 360 that is the primary reason for making that purchase, 90 percent of them say it's about Xbox 360."
I see no reason why the same will not hold true for ps3.
post #95 of 236 Old 09-06-2006, 06:54 PM

I am betting 350K consoles in 2006 worldwide and production starts mid Oct. JMHO.

Looks like my prediction of both formats being equal for 2006 in terms of hw seems to be getting closer to reality.....interesting.
post #96 of 236 Old 09-06-2006, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 230
I thinks it's very funny how some are spinning this as good news for Sony and BD. They just stiffed a good junk of the world on the PS3 and this is a good thing? In those countries they are going to be looking for something to buy this Christmas and, the 360 and Wii will be sitting pretty on the shelves while the PS3 is MIA. What do you think they are going to buy? Come on, this isn't good for BD or Sony. The PS3 was suppose to close the door on HD-DVD. They sold this to the studios to get them to support BD and now it will not happen. I wouldn't be surprised to see Disney start releasing HD-DVDs by March of '07 because of this, if not earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by que3jxp
Waht, does your windshield double as a plasma display or something?!?!
That's a great idea, someone should start working on that!

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #97 of 236 Old 09-06-2006, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

just a few notes on what's been said...

Ok, Sony is saying only 400K PS3 are shipping to America on launch time.
That's pretty far from what was general idea for or six months ago.
Plus: there will be no PS3 in Europe until March.

Several things will probably happen:
Obviously the hard-core gamers (those who arguably couldn't care less for playing movies) will buy them all in 24 hours or less leaving a huge void until Sony gets more delivered (which will still be absorbed by hard-core gamers who failed to get it on the first round).

But the market BIG need for product at Xmas season is much much larger then all the PS3 for sale.

So...
Lots of gamers will go for the Wii
Lots of gamers will go for thw 360
Lots of people who'd play HD movies will buy the 360 with add-on.
Lots of people (already with the 360) will just get the add-on (and then maybe a wii for the kids)
Lots of people will not care for the console and (instead) will just get a Toshiba player
Lots of people who don't care for consoles but still want blu-ray would buy Philips of Panasonic if they can find them (will there be enough diodes to launch those models?)

By the end of holiday season, the number of "movies-friendly" Blu-ray players will probably not be as high as the number of HD-DVD players.

Plus, we must think about the following data:
ALL the HD-DVD players sold during the season (Toshibas, RCAs and 360add-ons) WILL be bought to play HD movies.
while
NOT ALL the PS3s sold will be bought with movies in mind.

PLUS... the high cost os PS3 games will probably divert some gamers from buying Blu-ray movies.

PLUS... we have yet to know the number of (cheaper) PS3s who will probably NOT AT ALL be used for HD movies.

PLUS... Sony (or someone) came up with this number of 400k PS3 in America... but given the (as it seems) big difference between the announced number and the desired number (according to general idea months ago), It wouldn't be surprising if Sony actually shipped less than those 400K.

Now, in Europe, by holiday season, which BR players will be available? Given the fact that Philips and Panasonic are promised for November (I wonder wher will they get diodes for a REAL launch of those models), I guess it will not be surprising that Europe is left only with the old much-hated Samsung model... leaving the holiday season open for Toshiba, wii, 360 and the add-on.

I really don't see a good scenario for blu-ray whatsoever... unless they had 2 million PS3s delivered by November.

But that's not going to happen.

Thanks for reading.
post #98 of 236 Old 09-06-2006, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I think some of you guys are having grand delusions about what an advantage this is for HD DVD and how studios may flip because of it.
These studios really don't care what the launch is like- whos buying at this point?
early adopters and hardcore gamers- both being limited, niche markets for movie content. Sure they would have loved to have gotten more PS3 into homes to get a quicker peak at what the attach rates will be like- but barely anything good is scheduled to come out on the Bd platform anyway- save for Warners titles.
Most of these studios were going to soft peddle until mid next year at the earliest anyway.

This means absolutely nothing to Fox or Disney or MGM support. They're in it for more than just 6 months, and for more than just a few thousand early adopter/movie fans- they're licking their lips at an eventual installed base of millions of players and drives. And the fact that it won't happen overnight, but will happen all the same (which may not be the case on the other side) is actually a win win for them. Less cost initially as they just get their feet wet, and go with the flow which eventually turns into the rapids somewhere down stream.
On the other hand, there is every indication to suggest that a dedicated HD platform like HD DVD will never grow much beyond its niche appeal- player sales will lag far behind multi purpose consoles like the PS3, and the recordable media will probably not be as popular as the higher capacity alternative.

like all the advantages HD DVD has seen this year, it really won't end up amounting to much.
post #99 of 236 Old 09-06-2006, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulidan
I think some of you guys are having grand delusions about what an advantage this is for HD DVD and how studios may flip because of it.
These studios really don't care what the launch is like- whos buying at this point?
early adopters and hardcore gamers- both being limited, niche markets for movie content. Sure they would have loved to have gotten more PS3 into homes to get a quicker peak at what the attach rates will be like- but barely anything good is scheduled to come out on the Bd platform anyway- save for Warners titles.
Most of these studios were going to soft peddle until mid next year at the earliest anyway.

This means absolutely nothing to Fox or Disney or MGM support. They're in it for more than just 6 months, and for more than just a few thousand early adopter/movie fans- they're licking their lips at an eventual installed base of millions of players and drives. And the fact that it won't happen overnight, but will happen all the same (which may not be the case on the other side) is actually a win win for them. Less cost initially as they just get their feet wet, and go with the flow which eventually turns into the rapids somewhere down stream.
On the other hand, there is every indication to suggest that a dedicated HD platform like HD DVD will never grow much beyond its niche appeal- player sales will lag far behind multi purpose consoles like the PS3, and the recordable media will probably not be as popular as the higher capacity alternative.

like all the advantages HD DVD has seen this year, it really won't end up amounting to much.
That’s certainly one way to look at it.
post #100 of 236 Old 09-06-2006, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I think some of you guys are having grand delusions about what an advantage this is for HD DVD and how studios may flip (...)

This means absolutely nothing to Fox or Disney or MGM support. They're in it for more than just 6 months, (...)

That may be true.
But the opposite side remains: this season will probably send the world the message Sony is most afraid of: that its HUGE strategy of overwelming victory through the GREAT playstation selling 50 times over HD-DVD is not happening quite as the BDA companies thought.

Plus, we see that History can be full of irony. After Beta, Sony probably got the importance of content just to underestimate the importance of production. And lots of people are seeing (or am i the only one?) that even Sony cannot come up with a 100% foolproof strategy. And if that's true, the whole BDA is in check. How many brands are holding their fire because of the mighty PS3?

They may still win... but I believe lots of people are not so sure of anything anymore. And I'm certain that although Disney and Fox may still be on the boat for good, they're not deaf nor blind. Those people are not paid for that.

Sony has been promising huge results this holiday season for a long time. Anyone who does not even ask "where are those?" is prone for losing his job.
post #101 of 236 Old 09-06-2006, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga
And you really believe that every person that gets that 500,000 shipment has the capability to playback BR? I can believe that if they announce how many BR movies are actually sold during that period. But you got to be kidding yourself in saying this when we all know every person getting that shipment of PS3's doesn't have an HDTV.

Are you kidding me???? In the most likely case people buying PS3 WILL buy at least 1 BD movie including me (If I can get my hands on one at launch).PS3 will be used as a BD player mark my words.

When I got my PS2 it was my first DVD player and guess what it rocked!!!! yeah later on better players came out but my PS2 still was my chioce for DVD playback until 2003.
post #102 of 236 Old 09-06-2006, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Talk about grand delusions :confused:
post #103 of 236 Old 09-06-2006, 07:50 PM

It would be crazy for studios to not back a format if it was proven to be profitable and had a large and loyal customer base.

It's arrogance that is the BDA's biggest problem. Arrogance leads to complacency and complacency leads to defeat.....I don't expect studios and CE industry to embrace HD DVD until mid 2007....
post #104 of 236 Old 09-06-2006, 07:55 PM

If all 500,000 units are sold first week, which I would imagine, I'm willing to estimate that probably 30-40% will use them as Blu-Ray players. After all, if I worked in a place selling and we sold BR, I would highly recommend it if only to increase sales...
post #105 of 236 Old 09-06-2006, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychogenicscc
When I got my PS2 it was my first DVD player and guess what it rocked!!!! yeah later on better players came out but my PS2 still was my chioce for DVD playback until 2003.
Keep in mind that your PS2 would play on any TV in the house. So will the PS3, but if it's not connected to the one HDTV in the house then there is no incentive to buy BD movies.
post #106 of 236 Old 09-06-2006, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LpChaos
If all 500,000 units are sold first week, which I would imagine, I'm willing to estimate that probably 30-40% will use them as Blu-Ray players. After all, if I worked in a place selling and we sold BR, I would highly recommend it if only to increase sales...

I heard the same thing with the PSP movies on UMD. No one I know with a PSP(including me) bought a UMD movie or plan to. This could end up being just like Beta, Minidisc and UMD. Sony's track record with standardizing on their chosen format is not exactly stellar.
post #107 of 236 Old 09-06-2006, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychogenicscc
Are you kidding me???? In the most likely case people buying PS3 WILL buy at least 1 BD movie including me (If I can get my hands on one at launch).PS3 will be used as a BD player mark my words.

You may buy one BR disc?
I already have 20 HD-DVDs (and may double that number until December).
...meaning we are not axemples.

PS3 supporters keep forgetting the PS3 will not be the only HD player for sale.
In order to revert HD-DVD's advantage, the BR camp must not only sell much more players but also make those consumers to buy more discs that the HD-DVD consumer does - keeping in mind that the HD-DVD camp is also selling lots of players by the season.

Buying one or two BR discs won't do if the 360add-on consumer buys four.
And unless you are rich, you will not be able to buy many movies because the games themselves are pretty expensive.

The frenzy over content will be on both camps... BUT the frenzy on the HD-DVD camp, i believe, tends to be much more movie-oriented because that's 100% of those people will be buying for the player.

The PS3 consumer not only must buy games... but they also may be having the cheapest PS3 without HDMI.

Again: The PS3 will be huge. But its impact on the format war is debatable.
post #108 of 236 Old 09-06-2006, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Quote:

I agree that the studios wont flip sides but If an installed base grows over 500k it will be hard to ignore, especially when sales per unit have been so high for hd-dvd. I wouldnt expect to see movies from disney for atleast a year from today if things go crazy well for hd-dvd. As for your console comment i still feel that ms WILL release an AV edition 360 with either a bundled hd-dvd player add-on or have it integrated. They will price drop the base and maybe kill off the premium for the AV.
post #109 of 236 Old 09-06-2006, 09:37 PM
tsb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymerkramer
I heard the same thing with the PSP movies on UMD. No one I know with a PSP(including me) bought a UMD movie or plan to. This could end up being just like Beta, Minidisc and UMD. Sony's track record with standardizing on their chosen format is not exactly stellar.
Not the same. With the PSP you could buy a cheap memory stick and rip a higher quality movie from DVD for playback. There is no such option for BD.
post #110 of 236 Old 09-06-2006, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

blue all day.....
post #111 of 236 Old 09-06-2006, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataraj
Any relation to the former Baghdad Information Minister ? :p
Who knows..., he may be posting here now... for Sony of course!
post #112 of 236 Old 09-06-2006, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckshop
I see no reason why the same will not hold true for ps3.
Hint: Because SONY just keep promising and delivering next to nothing...
post #113 of 236 Old 09-06-2006, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

It is SO INTERESTING how this thread have been filled with HD-DVD fanatics in the last 12 hours. A 80% increase. And they are in other threads on this side of the forum too. :rolleyes:

Blue-laser shortage. Toshiba and Microsoft have allegedly been stockpiling. Meanwhile the rest of the CE manufacturers are, allegedly, finding hard to source for them. What does this tell you? Toshiba and Microsoft - HD-DVD. The rest of the CE industry - BD. :D

The Wii is not wee. It will sell well. It won't look good with the HDTVs but on SDTVs, sure. In fact this holiday season, Microsoft sales rival is both Nintendo and Sony again. PS3 will sell out pretty quick. The Wii is cheap and kid friendly. Those who are holding out for a PS3 might settle for a Wii just to tie them over.

Kutaragi said that 400,000 PS3 will be available for the US launch, 2 million by end of 2006 and globally 6 million by March. Somewhere in there, there are missing bits of info about Japan's allotment of the PS3. 100K is just too small for a Japanese launch. Hopefully this will be cleared up soon.

The smaller launch units might be a deliberate thing for Sony. They are launching their online PS3 gaming network. 400K user glitch is preferable than 2 million glitch on launch day.

As far as BDA is concerned, 400K of US$499/599 unit sold in the first week is big business. If 1 BD title is sold per unit, that's 400K (you know those gamers - curious folks). If only 10% of PS3 buyers use it as their primary or secondary BD player, that's 40K units. If 50% of that 10% of buyers rent their movies via Netflix, that's 20K and a big bump for Netflix. And I'm being conservative in my figures here - all of this is based on 400K launch units.

About two months before launch date, these new BD exclusives will be available: Click, American Psycho, Gone in 60 Seconds, The Professionals, Saw II, Young Guns, Monster House, Reservoir Dogs, and not to mention past BD exclusives. After November 17th, Kiss of the Dragon, The Transporter, Ice Age: The Meltdown and The Usual Suspects will be available. (all titles are examples for their Gen-X/Y/Z-A value).

You can deny it all you want but the studios are definitely courting the PS3 owners to get a title or two. So what does this means for the BD camp? More sales of BD movies - first from the Panasonic, Pioneer and Sony units then from the PS3.

As for Microsoft selling more XBox 360 this season... Well I'm sure the Japanese retailer won't mind sending them back to stateside. :D

fuad

"DonÂt let them tell you who you are is not enough, that itÂs wrong and that you wonÂt find love. DonÂt let them use my life to put your future down, or tell you that happiness canÂt be found."
post #114 of 236 Old 09-06-2006, 10:46 PM
tsb
AVS Special Member

The Wii will look great on HD TVs. Most games will support 16:9 and games/cartoons/animation/CGI almost always look great on HD even if the resolution isn't there.
post #115 of 236 Old 09-06-2006, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Nintendo will be the biggest winner because of this, but if Toshiba can capitalize on it, it will be another early boon to HD DVD. And the Microsoft add-on, if competently priced, could be a much bigger thorn in Sony's side than they expect.

And the Wii games will look perfectly fine on HDTVs. Of all the three last gen consoles, the Gamecube easily looked the best (Resident Evil 4 in particular looked spectacular). All the Wii games will be 16:9 enhanced and the system has twice the power of the Gamecube, so no problems there.

You have thirteen hours in which to solve the labyrinth, before your baby brother becomes one of us... forever.
post #116 of 236 Old 09-06-2006, 11:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
I actually prefer my Gamecube to my Xbox graphics-wise...

:)
post #117 of 236 Old 09-06-2006, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WriteSimple
It is SO INTERESTING how this thread have been filled with HD-DVD fanatics in the last 12 hours. A 80% increase. And they are in other threads on this side of the forum too. :rolleyes:

Blue-laser shortage. Toshiba and Microsoft have allegedly been stockpiling. Meanwhile the rest of the CE manufacturers are, allegedly, finding hard to source for them. What does this tell you? Toshiba and Microsoft - HD-DVD. The rest of the CE industry - BD. :D

The Wii is not wee. It will sell well. It won't look good with the HDTVs but on SDTVs, sure. In fact this holiday season, Microsoft sales rival is both Nintendo and Sony again. PS3 will sell out pretty quick. The Wii is cheap and kid friendly. Those who are holding out for a PS3 might settle for a Wii just to tie them over.

Kutaragi said that 400,000 PS3 will be available for the US launch, 2 million by end of 2006 and globally 6 million by March. Somewhere in there, there are missing bits of info about Japan's allotment of the PS3. 100K is just too small for a Japanese launch. Hopefully this will be cleared up soon.

The smaller launch units might be a deliberate thing for Sony. They are launching their online PS3 gaming network. 400K user glitch is preferable than 2 million glitch on launch day.

As far as BDA is concerned, 400K of US$499/599 unit sold in the first week is big business. If 1 BD title is sold per unit, that's 400K (you know those gamers - curious folks). If only 10% of PS3 buyers use it as their primary or secondary BD player, that's 40K units. If 50% of that 10% of buyers rent their movies via Netflix, that's 20K and a big bump for Netflix. And I'm being conservative in my figures here - all of this is based on 400K launch units.

About two months before launch date, these new BD exclusives will be available: Click, American Psycho, Gone in 60 Seconds, The Professionals, Saw II, Young Guns, Monster House, Reservoir Dogs, and not to mention past BD exclusives. After November 17th, Kiss of the Dragon, The Transporter, Ice Age: The Meltdown and The Usual Suspects will be available. (all titles are examples for their Gen-X/Y/Z-A value).

You can deny it all you want but the studios are definitely courting the PS3 owners to get a title or two. So what does this means for the BD camp? More sales of BD movies - first from the Panasonic, Pioneer and Sony units then from the PS3.

As for Microsoft selling more XBox 360 this season... Well I'm sure the Japanese retailer won't mind sending them back to stateside. :D

fuad
Here is a link to a site implies Toshiba WILL have enough blue diodes for their year end sales projections.

http://forums.xbox.com/6479736/ShowPost.aspx

We shall see if it turns out to be true or not.

Peace

Had to move my HT gear list to my profile so click below link to see it:

HT Gear list HERE
post #118 of 236 Old 09-07-2006, 12:57 AM

Definatly what is not being braught into consideration are the number of Xbox360's already in the market. Statistically of all the 5million Xbox360 owners, a supposid 64% play on an HDTV, and all those people can take advantage of the HD-DVD add-on. And with BB, HP4, King Kong, and other major, easy buys availible on the format, it should not be a hard purchase, if Microsoft can get enough of the drives out there, they will sell, and the number of PS3's in the market against the number of HD-DVD players will be equalized, if not taken over. Also just has Sony has their sales projections, so does Microsoft, with their numbers at 10million consoles shipped by the end of the year.

CTS - Certified Technology Specialist
EAVA - Extron Certified AV Associate
post #119 of 236 Old 09-07-2006, 01:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technicolor
just a few notes on what's been said...

Ok, Sony is saying only 400K PS3 are shipping to America on launch time.
That's pretty far from what was general idea for or six months ago.
Plus: there will be no PS3 in Europe until March.

Several things will probably happen:
Obviously the hard-core gamers (those who arguably couldn't care less for playing movies) will buy them all in 24 hours or less leaving a huge void until Sony gets more delivered (which will still be absorbed by hard-core gamers who failed to get it on the first round).

But the market BIG need for product at Xmas season is much much larger then all the PS3 for sale.

So...
Lots of gamers will go for the Wii
Lots of gamers will go for thw 360
Lots of people who'd play HD movies will buy the 360 with add-on.
Lots of people (already with the 360) will just get the add-on (and then maybe a wii for the kids)
Lots of people will not care for the console and (instead) will just get a Toshiba player
Lots of people who don't care for consoles but still want blu-ray would buy Philips of Panasonic if they can find them (will there be enough diodes to launch those models?)

By the end of holiday season, the number of "movies-friendly" Blu-ray players will probably not be as high as the number of HD-DVD players.

Plus, we must think about the following data:
ALL the HD-DVD players sold during the season (Toshibas, RCAs and 360add-ons) WILL be bought to play HD movies.
while
NOT ALL the PS3s sold will be bought with movies in mind.

PLUS... the high cost os PS3 games will probably divert some gamers from buying Blu-ray movies.

PLUS... we have yet to know the number of (cheaper) PS3s who will probably NOT AT ALL be used for HD movies.

PLUS... Sony (or someone) came up with this number of 400k PS3 in America... but given the (as it seems) big difference between the announced number and the desired number (according to general idea months ago), It wouldn't be surprising if Sony actually shipped less than those 400K.

Now, in Europe, by holiday season, which BR players will be available? Given the fact that Philips and Panasonic are promised for November (I wonder wher will they get diodes for a REAL launch of those models), I guess it will not be surprising that Europe is left only with the old much-hated Samsung model... leaving the holiday season open for Toshiba, wii, 360 and the add-on.

I really don't see a good scenario for blu-ray whatsoever... unless they had 2 million PS3s delivered by November.

But that's not going to happen.

Thanks for reading.
This is horrible news for Blu-ray. There is just no way to spin it.

Sony promised huge PS3 penetration this holiday season worldwide as a basis for global Blu-ray domination. They have just abandoned the European PAL launch and have made the US launch into a soft launch with only enough players available to satisfy hard core gamers.

Thats basically a year's head start and a free holiday season unmolested for HD DVD. That is a problem no matter how you much you want it to go away.

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
post #120 of 236 Old 09-07-2006, 01:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
"The next generation doesn't start until we say it does," said Hirai.
:rolleyes: :eek: :mad:

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page