post #181 of 236 Old 09-09-2006, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by WriteSimple
I'm not worried about these numbers because I doubt either one would come true.

350K for HD-A1s by end of 2006 in NAmerica? You have US$499 HD-A1 and you have US$499 PS3 (non-HDMI) and US$599 PS3 (HDMI). The HD-A1 gets you HD-DVD while the PS3 gets you games and BD. Which is a better value?

Sony expects to ship 2 million PS3s by end of 2006. If you don't believe that Sony can do it, then I can't believe that Toshiba can sell 350K by end of 2006.
Why do you assume that Sony does not have the customer support like MS? They have sold more PS2s than XBox and XBox 360 combined so surely their customer support for the millions of PS2 out there would be enough.

At launch, PS3 would have the Playstation Network Platform. I would suspect that gamers and networked households would have this hooked up to Wifi receivers on day 1. Whatever firmware that needs to be updated, will get done the same way that the Toshiba gets its firmware. Except that the network connection can be always on.

Did you read about the PS3s will be used as a massive computer farm for a research tool? That's great stuff.
If you say that you don't mind the PS3-BD attach rate is one-to-one, then that means on launch week 400K BD titles will be sold and another 100K sold in Japan.

The week before and after Nov 17th, 8 new HD-DVD releases would be released, according to High Def Digest release schedule. To achieve that same amount of sales bump, 50K HD-DVD owners will have to buy 8 titles within the same period.

Big guns coming out on Nov. 14 but the 7th and the 21st? So while I applaud your generosity for predicting PS-BD attach rate of 1-to-1, you can take that prediction back. But I also doubt that average HD-DVD owners come out of the store with 10-12 titles with them, because that would cost US$200-240 more at least, if HD-DVD costs US$20. I know King Kong is pricey.

Again, economically speaking if you tell mom/dad/grandparents/guardian with a brand new HDTV that for US$499 they can get a Toshiba HD-DVD player or a PS3 that can also play BD, what would s/he pick?

And as far as lack of quality titles are concerned, here are the titles coming out before and after the PS3. I would say the Nov 14th release would go well with the gamers. But Ice Age is for everybody.

From a press release by Silicon Images on August 15th 2006.

And there you go. The sample HDMI chips by the way are in hundreds or thousands. There may be limited amount of US$599 PS3s at launch but there will be more of them as each new batches arrive.

fuad

Fuad i cant argue with hype and conjecture which is all the computer farming trash is. They have been "offering" that for pc's and its truly hype coming from sony.

So every one of the PS3 bought will be hooked up to broadband you say? Thats impossible, even the 360 which has always attracted MP users due to tons of FPS games doesnt have even a 50% online ratio. So there goes your firmware update. Firmware could be distributed through software but that would be slow and problematic. Sony's custoerm service has always been suspect. Just look at all the SXRD owners (im one of them). Also when my PS2 broke sony didnt help much (read none).

So you think its a good idea that the ps3 could be shipped with trial 1.3 hdmi chips? i sure dont. I also never said 500k in N america. 500k world wide since thats the context (500k ps3's worldwide). If you want to beliebve a company can launch with a max of 500k while retooling for a march secondary launch and simultaneously release another 1.5 million consoles shipped to stores overseas in 6 weeks then share that kool-aid with me my friend because i simply dont see how thats possible. I certainyl see 500k hd-dvd's being sold worldwide, especially since PS3 will not even be available in europe and will be a great value for 360 owners.

Not even going to argue about bd50 (vaporware) and your "great" launches in the amalgamous future. All i can say is to date bd has yet to release anything superior to hd-dvd.

And yes King Kong will rock:)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 236 Old 09-10-2006, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
?You have US$499 HD-A1 and you have US$499 PS3 (non-HDMI) and US$599 PS3 (HDMI). The HD-A1 gets you HD-DVD while the PS3 gets you games and BD. Which is a better value?

fuad
actually its now 399.99 the price has dropped by toshiba and one of the vendors on the forums has dropped his price also to 399.99. also you can recall the PS2 was a better value also for DVD and gaming, but no one cared about the DVD aspect of it becuase of the controller useage was not good so they just played games. Oh please dont bring up that PS2 brought DVD to the world eitehr DVD was off and running before PS2 was alive :)
post #183 of 236 Old 09-10-2006, 01:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I question the fact that PS3 production will start at the end of September if the HDMI connectors won't start production until October. At least for the highend models, that seems like it would be a problem.
post #184 of 236 Old 09-10-2006, 03:42 AM
AVS Special Member

They must be making the NON HDMI models first, but it could also mean that only NON HDMI models will be in the first launch batch of 500k.

I think most or possibly all of the launch 500k will be the NON HDMI models myself. It seems they only way if HDMI 1.3 won;t start production until 10/06.

Had to move my HT gear list to my profile so click below link to see it:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #185 of 236 Old 09-10-2006, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFC5
They must be making the NON HDMI models first, but it could also mean that only NON HDMI models will be in the first launch batch of 500k.

I think most or possibly all of the launch 500k will be the NON HDMI models myself. It seems they only way if HDMI 1.3 won;t start production until 10/06.
If that is the case, then you can be pretty sure that none of those PS3s will be bought for movie playing. Anyone interested in PS3 for movie playing will be looking at the $600 one with HDMI.
post #186 of 236 Old 09-10-2006, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatti-man
Fuad i cant argue with hype and conjecture which is all the computer farming trash is. They have been "offering" that for pc's and its truly hype coming from sony.
If you can't argue about hype and conjecture then you should stop hyping and conjecturing about what HD-DVD can do and how much it will sell and IF you're going to get 2G players costing less than US499! Listen to your own arguments!

Quote:
So every one of the PS3 bought will be hooked up to broadband you say? Thats impossible, even the 360 which has always attracted MP users due to tons of FPS games doesnt have even a 50% online ratio. So there goes your firmware update. Firmware could be distributed through software but that would be slow and problematic. Sony's custoerm service has always been suspect. Just look at all the SXRD owners (im one of them). Also when my PS2 broke sony didnt help much (read none).
I can't believe you're figuring out future problems for the PS3 while ignoring the same situation happening right now with the Toshiba.

I don't doubt your XBox 360 numbers. And I don't think that 100% of PS3 will be connected online either. But I don't doubt that the media will not play up a story about how the PS3 will need to be connected to the internet to get the new firmware. Just look at the announcement of Sony's squashed internatioal release.

While news that PS3s may require internet connection to fix firmware issues won't be in a good light, that will help those who may not catch up with the latest PS3 news to get their firmware fix. The same kind of thing is happening with Toshiba's firmware 2.0 update.

Quote:
So you think its a good idea that the ps3 could be shipped with trial 1.3 hdmi chips? i sure dont.
The trial chips are there to sort out problems with the initial development kit and test batches. If the trial chips are found to be functioning properly, I don't see why it can't go into the final unit especially if the chips are found to have zero fault.

Quote:
If you want to beliebve a company can launch with a max of 500k while retooling for a march secondary launch and simultaneously release another 1.5 million consoles shipped to stores overseas in 6 weeks then share that kool-aid with me my friend because i simply dont see how thats possible.
What's preventing the PS3 from a 1 million launch units is the blue-laser diode. Those are being manufactured by Sony/Nichia plant. The PS3 itself is manufactured/assembled somewhere else. So I don't see any reason why the PS3 plant need to be retooled, especially since they're only running two lines.

Part makers can continue making the shell for the HDMI- and non-HDMI units. The same thing with the IC board printers, the controller units and the like. They only need the drive and that's slowed down because of the diodes.

Quote:
I certainyl see 500k hd-dvd's being sold worldwide, especially since PS3 will not even be available in europe and will be a great value for 360 owners.
Is that HD-DVD players only or add-on or both? Regardless if they are, I don't know where you get the 500K number.

I mentioned the 500K only because you mentioned that a PS3 attach rate of 1-to-1 still won't beat HD-DVD owners who have a 1-to-10/12 rate.

Quote:
Not even going to argue about bd50 (vaporware) and your "great" launches in the amalgamous future. All i can say is to date bd has yet to release anything superior to hd-dvd.
How about equal to? No? If not, then I'll just have to wait until that talking point is dismissed.

Quote:
And yes King Kong will rock:)
So will Kingdom Of Heaven.

"DonÂt let them tell you who you are is not enough, that itÂs wrong and that you wonÂt find love. DonÂt let them use my life to put your future down, or tell you that happiness canÂt be found."
post #187 of 236 Old 09-10-2006, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocktheglide
actually its now 399.99 the price has dropped by toshiba and one of the vendors on the forums has dropped his price also to 399.99.
The price of the Samsung has also dropped to US$750 on Amazon, US$699 elsewhere and US$500-something refurbished. Price drops everywhere.

And no, US$399 will not attract J6P en masse.

fuad

"DonÂt let them tell you who you are is not enough, that itÂs wrong and that you wonÂt find love. DonÂt let them use my life to put your future down, or tell you that happiness canÂt be found."
post #188 of 236 Old 09-10-2006, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

A $400.00 price is much more likely to attract someone between people like us & J6P though. It surely will still attract more people than $1,000.00 will. Yes I am still using the $1k price since BB & CC are STILL selling it for the full MSRP of $999.99. Here is the links:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1142289574588
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Next-...ategorylist.do

CC has it on sale for $100.00 off this week though. CC has the RCA HD-DVD player online for $410.00 right now so the price difference is not changing much is it?

I would take Kong over Kingdom of Heaven ANYDAY! I think the majority would too, but that is personal taste.

WriteSimple:

Do you own a Samsung BD player? If not, would wouldn't you be supporting your chosen format? If you do have it how do you like it and how many movies have you bought so far? Also, what will be the talking points once the HD-XA2 comes out with HDMI 1.3 & 1080p, and no BD players (excl. PS3) have HDMI 1.3?

We both know that HDMI 1.3 is not necessary if the player has the decoders, but it surely adds flexibility to the mix. We also both know that 1080p is almost completely marketing hype, with almost all 1080p displays (all 1% of them that can input 1080p). It just makes that arguement go away at BB/CC. Actually, it probably will NOT go away because thoses salemen are generally so uninformed that they will probably not know the Toshiba will output 1080p. Even if they did know, many will ignore this anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #189 of 236 Old 09-11-2006, 06:39 PM

Yikes - More bad press

Quote:
PlayStation 3- the Killer Iceberg. Sony- the Titanic

Gadgets

11:28 PM, September 11th 2006
by Dan Nicolae Alexa

The dreadful confirmation that Sony is a sinking Titanic just came through: and what is surprising is that it’s not a surprise.

What both analysts and gamers alike have feared until now has finally obtained confirmation from Sony Computer Entertainment President Ken Kutaragi, who admitted that Sony’s capabilities as a manufacturer are declining.

No specification was made concerning the level of decline, but anyone can guess that a declaration from such high-ranked official would always be toned down, in order not to scare investors or the market.

When asked about the reasons that have caused PS3 to be delayed in Europe and about the recent scandal concerning Sony-produced laptop batteries that catch fire, Kaz Hirai said: “If you asked me if Sony’s strength in hardware was in decline, right now I guess I would have to say that might be true.â€

One situation that recently occurred at the Leipzig Game Convention in Germany could illustrate the kind of disaster Sony is facing with PS3: the first day was reserved to the press and everyone was anxious to see Sony’s praised next-gen console. But if you wanted to take a closer look, you’d only be allowed to do that from the hands of a too careful Sony representative, who would cautiously bring a black box with the PlayStation 3 inscription on it, but not before covering his hands with plastic gloves used for surgery (and I’m sure that box was NOT functional…).

The same situation seems to have already occurred in real life: we see PS3 slowly fading away, from the 2,000,000 million pieces promised for November 2006 to only a few thousands scattered in the US and Japan (400,000 and 100,000 respectively). Does a giant like Sony think it can compete with the successful Xbox 360 (which by the way is on the market for about a year) and the Xbox Live service or the up-coming Nintendo Wii with just 500,000 consoles? When it hasn’t even solved the problems linked to the powerful Cell processor or the integration of the famous Blu Ray drive?

And how does Sony imagine it will defeat the HD DVD format when PS3- designated the flagship product by Sony in the DVD-standard war- is not even a serious opponent? Microsoft has already announced that they have prepared an auxiliary HD DVD optical drive for Xbox 360 which will be available this fall for about 200 dollars. And just think that Toshiba, the main supporter of HD DVD, has released on the market for quite some time the early generation of its HD DVD players, while all Sony did this time was to postpone and postpone and postpone… Oh, and to boast with the fact that most Hollywood movie studios have backed-up Blu Ray instead of HD DVD. Well, it appears that they have backed-up an illusion, and PS3’s repeated delays should signal them that Sony has more problems than it admits…Remember the Betamax-VHS confrontation?...

My humble opinion is that Sony’s maneuvers with PlayStation 3 are already a classical example of how to shoot yourself in the foot. PS3 is only the trigger to a chain reaction that could lead not only to Sony’s titanic sinking but to an implosion that could potentially blow the company to pieces.

Sony has been struggling mightily in its fight against competitors like Samsung. Once a powerhouse in electronics, Sony now finds its market value at $43 billion—less than half of Samsung's $112 billion.

"I see a major risk that Sony's presence in the game market will weaken," cautioned Shinko Securities analyst Hideki Watanabe. "Investors will have to start considering the possibility in the future that the game division will not produce any real profits at all."

"All of this has raised concerns about whether there is something fundamentally wrong with Sony's manufacturing process," said Mitsushige Akino, chief fund manager at Ichiyoshi Investment Management. "And it could further damage the Sony brand."

http://www.playfuls.com/news_04316_P...e_Titanic.html
post #190 of 236 Old 09-11-2006, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Ouch!
The next 3 months will be crucial for Sony. If the debut of the PS3 is plagued with problems, I don't know if Sony can recover.
post #191 of 236 Old 09-11-2006, 07:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Wow! Is that true? Samsungs market value is 112 billion and Sonys is only 43 billion.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #192 of 236 Old 09-11-2006, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Remember that Samsung makes heavy equipment (ie bulldozers, excavators, etc) too. They are into much more than just consumer electronics. Samsung is just a bigger company by virtual of diversification.

post #193 of 236 Old 09-11-2006, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If you can't argue about hype and conjecture then you should stop hyping and conjecturing about what HD-DVD can do and how much it will sell and IF you're going to get 2G players costing less than US499! Listen to your own arguments!

I can't believe you're figuring out future problems for the PS3 while ignoring the same situation happening right now with the Toshiba.

I don't doubt your XBox 360 numbers. And I don't think that 100% of PS3 will be connected online either. But I don't doubt that the media will not play up a story about how the PS3 will need to be connected to the internet to get the new firmware. Just look at the announcement of Sony's squashed internatioal release.

While news that PS3s may require internet connection to fix firmware issues won't be in a good light, that will help those who may not catch up with the latest PS3 news to get their firmware fix. The same kind of thing is happening with Toshiba's firmware 2.0 update.

The trial chips are there to sort out problems with the initial development kit and test batches. If the trial chips are found to be functioning properly, I don't see why it can't go into the final unit especially if the chips are found to have zero fault.

What's preventing the PS3 from a 1 million launch units is the blue-laser diode. Those are being manufactured by Sony/Nichia plant. The PS3 itself is manufactured/assembled somewhere else. So I don't see any reason why the PS3 plant need to be retooled, especially since they're only running two lines.

Part makers can continue making the shell for the HDMI- and non-HDMI units. The same thing with the IC board printers, the controller units and the like. They only need the drive and that's slowed down because of the diodes.

Is that HD-DVD players only or add-on or both? Regardless if they are, I don't know where you get the 500K number.

I mentioned the 500K only because you mentioned that a PS3 attach rate of 1-to-1 still won't beat HD-DVD owners who have a 1-to-10/12 rate.

How about equal to? No? If not, then I'll just have to wait until that talking point is dismissed.

So will Kingdom Of Heaven.
Ok computer cycle farming for the ps3 is useless regardless of what you want to say, its fact not imo.

My problem with using trial chips is that their robustness is unproven. Once again the 360 launch showed us that something that works out of the box can fail in a 4 month period, its just a point of concern for me since sony will not be as forgiving as MS to us consumers.

The 500k is the combination of toshibas statement of 350k hd-a1's sold and my own estimate of 150k add-ons sold.

My point about sony retooling wasnt about retooling their plants it was about them retooling for a SECOND launch. Meaning they actually have to reserve units and get them to stores etc all teh while handling returns and defects of already shipped units/problems that every new product has. Its just foolhardy imo to believe sony can do this, its impossible really. Do you honestly believe that the blue laser diode problem is going to be fixed in 90 days? To go from 20% yields to 90%???? That just doesnt jive with common sense.
post #194 of 236 Old 09-12-2006, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark0
Ouch!
The next 3 months will be crucial for Sony. If the debut of the PS3 is plagued with problems, I don't know if Sony can recover.
Why would they be plagued with problems? They are adressing them, that's why we see what we see. Once we get the boxes, there won't be non-working one because they are tested. It's not like Sony would be called, Microsoft... (have you read about Vista RC-1?)

So when we get them, they will be fine. They won't rush release crappy products as the delay, reduction in availability clearly show. They are serious.

BTW: Do you know what they do with the bad blue diode parts? Unlimited supply for the HD-DVD camp!!! If they stop to work in 4 months, WHO CARE?!?! :D
post #195 of 236 Old 09-12-2006, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruly
Why would they be plagued with problems? They are adressing them, that's why we see what we see. Once we get the boxes, there won't be non-working one because they are tested. It's not like Sony would be called, Microsoft... (have you read about Vista RC-1?)

So when we get them, they will be fine. They won't rush release crappy products as the delay, reduction in availability clearly show. They are serious.

BTW: Do you know what they do with the bad blue diode parts? Unlimited supply for the HD-DVD camp!!! If they stop to work in 4 months, WHO CARE?!?! :D

Sure they are serious. It still doesn't mean something else is either going wrong now and haven't announced or about to go wrong. You do realize this is the culprit of their negative press. Everyone wants to continue to complain about negative press with Sony. The bottom line is they need to deliver. The news, and ourselves pretty much guessed that the PS3 was not going to be released because for one no price announcment and it was Feb still no news. No list launched games. No news was coming out of Sony until no PS3 in the Spring. Why? Because of Blu-Ray and to throw people off from getting the 360. But BR was the reason for the delay from what Sony claimed but we all knew it was not coming in Spring.

Fast forward to last weeks announcments about shipment drops, decline in manufacturing. It has basically been one thing or another and people on here want to take it personal for whatever reason I don't know unless you are actually losing stock. Nobody at this point should be suprised if we here somthing this week or the next about somthing about the PS3 or BR because that has basically officially been the trend is negative press for almost a year now.

I still don't see the Sony BR(made by Pioneer) on shelves yet and it was supposed to come out this summer. I wonder why? :confused:

If PS3's are problem free then I will be shocked and excited at the same time that a product is on the market with no defects whatsoever. But it ain't happening I can only hope it won't be as bad as the 360. I have stated I am not getting a PS3 at launch for the fact that my 360 is doing me fine and no games I want that are not going to be available until 07, 08 for just the PS3. That doesn't mean I want things to be bad for Sony but the truth hurts doesn't it?

As gamers we should all hope this won't be the problem only fanboys worry about either system dieing out and going down the tube and bragging about it coming to the market all f*cked up. But, we can't keep fooling ourselves in thinking things are just going to be perfect come 17 Nov.

The 5.0 is here
post #196 of 236 Old 09-12-2006, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

If there is anything we've learned about Sony and the PS3 is that this product has been nothing but problems and delays. Now we're hearing Ken Kutaragi saying hardware is going downhill. Not exactly encouraging words from your president. So if there's ever been a time when I'd be willing to wager a product is going to have problems this is the one.
Think about it, problems with the laser, problems with dual layer format, problems with the cell processor, not to mention possible compatibility issues with software and the new HDMI 1.3... I could go on all day here.
Let's put it this way, if the PS3 is problem free, it would be hats off to Sony for getting their act together, but I just think there's a slight to none chance that is going to happen. :(
post #197 of 236 Old 09-12-2006, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga
Sure they are serious. It still doesn't mean something else is either going wrong now and haven't announced or about to go wrong. You do realize this is the culprit of their negative press. Everyone wants to continue to complain about negative press with Sony. The bottom line is they need to deliver. The news, and ourselves pretty much guessed that the PS3 was not going to be released because for one no price announcment and it was Feb still no news. No list launched games. No news was coming out of Sony until no PS3 in the Spring. Why? Because of Blu-Ray and to throw people off from getting the 360. But BR was the reason for the delay from what Sony claimed but we all knew it was not coming in Spring.
Everything could go wrong, but opposed to some other rushed product, while they were working on flu-diode and hdmi 1.3, all the rest, which I assume was kinda ready, has now be fine tuned to the extreme, so no problem there. It's not like they are hiding what is going wrong! The console is'nt even released yet and we know all this stuff. Imagine what it would have been with MS...

I have no problem with them not delivering if it mean they did'nt switch to DVD for holding data and just release another lame-ass console that is 20% better than the previous one! At least the PS3 is now at another level, and that for many years, as the PS2.
Quote:
I still don't see the Sony BR(made by Pioneer) on shelves yet and it was supposed to come out this summer. I wonder why? :confused:
Well, they clearly decided to save the flu-diode they could for the PS3. I was a good move for me.
Quote:
If PS3's are problem free then I will be shocked and excited at the same time that a product is on the market with no defects whatsoever. But it ain't happening I can only hope it won't be as bad as the 360. I have stated I am not getting a PS3 at launch for the fact that my 360 is doing me fine and no games I want that are not going to be available until 07, 08 for just the PS3. That doesn't mean I want things to be bad for Sony but the truth hurts doesn't it?
It should'nt be shocking that a late product had time to mature in the lab and with the partner having so much time for software to be very stable. All we are hearing is hardware stuff. At first I was just planning some blu-ray movies followed by nice PS3 games. But now they even annonced Enchanted Arms for PS3, so I'm pretty excited!!! It's gonna be the best christmass.
Quote:
As gamers we should all hope this won't be the problem only fanboys worry about either system dieing out and going down the tube and bragging about it coming to the market all f*cked up. But, we can't keep fooling ourselves in thinking things are just going to be perfect come 17 Nov.
The PS3 won't go down the tube any time soon. If you want a console that has gone down the tube, it's clearly the airbox one. Really, is it so hard to make old game done for windows 2000 plus work on windows xp plus? Shame because I would have like to play Halo 1 to 3 on the xbox 360. Now I won't be getting one at all. Seriously, what good game is there on that system that won't be released on the PS3 ? I will go to the second generation setup players for hddvd.

That way, I hope hddvd won't crash/freeze.
post #198 of 236 Old 09-12-2006, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I dont think its good news for BD thats for sure. At this point it is wait and see with Sony products (with the exception of their front projectors which I love).
post #199 of 236 Old 09-12-2006, 08:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

you all have a short trem memeory, XBOX 360 did this exact same thing has many issues but all is ok since its MS and they support hd dvd. Then you moan and complain about it being rushed then it gets delayed you complain ,more make you mind up you want it done right or you want it rushed. Then the troll post the same thing 5 times but with differnet headings.
post #200 of 236 Old 09-12-2006, 09:58 PM

If people are speculatiing, then it comes down to how much FACTUAL information is being released by the source companies and to what degree the information is deemed accurate by way of past substantiation, consistent trackrecord or best of all, NO advertisment hyperbole coupled with timely deliveries of given products for advertised dates and claims.

While one can use recent product histories for a BASIC comparision, its usually not considered accurate or valid if there is only one or a few target examples ... stat analysts would be very hesitent to make any kind of meaningful long range predictions based upon 1 example ... predictive trends do not work that way or at least not good ones.

Likewise, a LACK of information does not give license to "make stuff up" ... BUT proponents for the use of BD informational endorsements/announcements do have an edge when it comes to calling BD & company to task when they don't live up to advertised claims ... which is fairly regularly ... that is when they release any "info" at all. Case in point Samsung.

Sam
post #201 of 236 Old 09-13-2006, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Everything could go wrong, but opposed to some other rushed product, while they were working on flu-diode and hdmi 1.3, all the rest, which I assume was kinda ready, has now be fine tuned to the extreme, so no problem there. It's not like they are hiding what is going wrong! The console is'nt even released yet and we know all this stuff. Imagine what it would have been with MS...

I have no problem with them not delivering if it mean they did'nt switch to DVD for holding data and just release another lame-ass console that is 20% better than the previous one! At least the PS3 is now at another level, and that for many years, as the PS2.

Well, they clearly decided to save the flu-diode they could for the PS3. I was a good move for me.

It should'nt be shocking that a late product had time to mature in the lab and with the partner having so much time for software to be very stable. All we are hearing is hardware stuff. At first I was just planning some blu-ray movies followed by nice PS3 games. But now they even annonced Enchanted Arms for PS3, so I'm pretty excited!!! It's gonna be the best christmass.

The PS3 won't go down the tube any time soon. If you want a console that has gone down the tube, it's clearly the airbox one. Really, is it so hard to make old game done for windows 2000 plus work on windows xp plus? Shame because I would have like to play Halo 1 to 3 on the xbox 360. Now I won't be getting one at all. Seriously, what good game is there on that system that won't be released on the PS3 ? I will go to the second generation setup players for hddvd.

That way, I hope hddvd won't crash/freeze.
I was replying to you why their is so much talk about the problems and simply should anyone be surprised if we hear another announcment that might just be another negative news on Sony?

You questioned about why the concern and I replied with what I said to your question which you gave an answer to yourself about. Simply put saying the PS3 is at another level is still to be determined as for me I don't see that much difference with what I am doing on my 360 with the games coming out. FOM is the only game I am interested in and it isn't because of what everyone is excited about it being 22GB, how is that another level of gaming simply becuase it has more space? The game looks good but nothing new. Thats not a bash and I can care less if it could not be released on the 360 I enjoy games all around. We don't know what is the next level until we actually play the game but none of it will matter if the game ends up weak. Other games have fallen harder and I am not saying this one will but there are no gurantees either.

My suggestion if anyone has issues with the negative news for PS3, 360, and Toshiba either ignore it or email them about how bad you feel about the news that is coming out for any of the systems and politlely ask "sir/ma'am can you please do better :("

Okay so Enchanted Arms was announced for the PS3 but this is the thing alot of people see is that if you already have a 360 do you see them in droves picking up the PS3 version. I doubt it. The fact that it is coming out on the PS3 is what alot of people are talking about now is why do I need to spend another $100 to 200 on a PS3 when I can do pretty much the same thing on this system and it is back and forth. Its simple you are waiting on the PS3 and the games you are waiting on are already available for the 360. So I question how is the 360 weaker in your opinion if you can pretty much play the same games on either system and they don't look graphically different or playablity unless they add the motion sensor for the controller and we still don't know how good that is. Again no gurantees just hope and that is fine too. It is still possible to be dissapointed it happens everyday.

The 5.0 is here
post #202 of 236 Old 09-13-2006, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinca1
you all have a short trem memeory, XBOX 360 did this exact same thing has many issues but all is ok since its MS and they support hd dvd. Then you moan and complain about it being rushed then it gets delayed you complain ,more make you mind up you want it done right or you want it rushed. Then the troll post the same thing 5 times but with differnet headings.
You should also mention the PS2 with its problems even with the slim version. The PSP which had the LCD issues. The (was it the DS that had the screen fold breaking)

As far as what I was saying is I am not going to be surprised that somthing goes wrong and I only hope it won't be as major as the 360 compared to others that had problems. I responded to the fact that some here just believe that it is locked/sealed that no problems will arise come 17 Nov or after and if history is any indication and on top of that unproven technology all rolled into one then as I said before I will be ecstatic that there are no problems whatsoever. I just doubt it. I can't complain I have the same 360 I had in December and it still is running fine. I am aware fully of others that have problems but I just can't relate them because me and my 50 Xbox Live members seem to be just fine. Hell I treat mine like a laptop those batteries get hot got a cooler and everything is pretty much smooth sailing so far. If it goes out I have a warranty anyway so no issues here for me. If you all notice I have a Dell XPS with the battery recall but I may just be lucky or maybe my lifestyle is just unique with how I handle my equipment in the end who knows and really who cares but me.

The 5.0 is here
post #203 of 236 Old 09-13-2006, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Do you remember how many crappy PS2's made it out? Discs wouldn't read and the drives were horse crap.

I wouldn't call the first product its finalized version.

It is better to ask for forgiveness, than it is to ask for permissision - the WAF factor
post #204 of 236 Old 09-13-2006, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 270
A number of off topic posts have been removed.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #205 of 236 Old 09-14-2006, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga
My suggestion if anyone has issues with the negative news for PS3, 360, and Toshiba either ignore it or email them about how bad you feel about the news that is coming out for any of the systems and politlely ask "sir/ma'am can you please do better :("
? Are you working for Microsoft? Seriously? The only time I seen someone say something like this, it was an MS regional director.

So, if I understand correctly, you are saying that anybody that don't agree should stop saying it in 'public' and could maybe tell the author in 'private'? To which it could reply privately, "yeah sorry" and really do nothing about it?

That's not even funny.

This is the first time I get kinda get personnal but the subject is really serious.
post #206 of 236 Old 09-14-2006, 10:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
? Are you working for Microsoft? Seriously? The only time I seen someone say something like this, it was an MS regional director.

So, if I understand correctly, you are saying that anybody that don't agree should stop saying it in 'public' and could maybe tell the author in 'private'? To which it could reply privately, "yeah sorry" and really do nothing about it?

That's not even funny.

This is the first time I get kinda get personnal but the subject is really serious.

Classic whitewashing and apologisms...all too typical around these parts, it seems, especially when it concerns anything related to MS or HD-DVD.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #207 of 236 Old 09-15-2006, 04:48 PM

Some people said that not all the ppl are going to use the blueray for movie playback...ok I agree but I also thinks that those ppl are not going to buy a HD-DVD also, and I think that a high % of those ppl who actually have a HD-TV will at least will buy one blue-ray movie to see the quality of the player (like with the psp) so well they can end being potentially blueray users as the time goes on, sony marketing have to work on that too.

I doubt M$ its going to cut the 360 price by $100 and dont think they will do a $50 (but this one seems more likely, but would be a stupid move IMO).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorrorScope
MS has them right where they want them imo.
You think? M$ dance are being directed by the Sony's music from the start and well I really cant say who will take more benefit from that but i can say that the M$ moves are being very predictable and thats not so good at all, anyways thats another matter.
post #208 of 236 Old 09-15-2006, 05:32 PM

Curious that it is not functional.

Quote:
GIZMODO

CEDIA 2006: Sony PS3 Spotted

Sony has a tiny, miniature part of their booth dedicated to the PS3. Yep, here it is, in a box, non-functional. Oh well, at least it looks pretty behind glass, and that is where it will always look pretty from.

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-...ted-201047.php
edit link
post #209 of 236 Old 09-17-2006, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I think ms does have sony right were they want them. sony is a year late or more in europe, besides blu-ray their game machine has similar if not identical performance, 1st gen ps3 games going against a matured 360 line-up. when the ps3 adds start they better not show any launch game gameplay in them bc gears of war shots will be airing. ms hasn't even really launched the console yet with a thin tv campaign, you can bet that's coming with the ps3. so with superior sftware, a cheaper pricepoint, and 10 mill already installed you can bet ms has sony right where they want them.
post #210 of 236 Old 09-17-2006, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCricket
Curious that it is not functional.

edit link
FWIW Sony has been showing functioning demos on their BD player (slated to be released 2 weeks before the PS3) since May 24th! You'd think they'd be at least able to demo a product that is supposed to be in full fledged production now :confused:

Really makes me wonder what is going on here....
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page