Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #91 of 177 Old 10-08-2006, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First, thanks for these great reviews. I was about to order this player but now think it's best to hold off.

Quote:
The 2nd gen units (or PS3 although I struggle with a video game system as my main playback device) should offer much better price/performance.
Andrew, I struggle with believing this about the PS3, especially if a dedicated machine like the Panasonic isn't delivering on SD. I guess we'll all know in another month, but since there's probably no chance I'll get my hands on one the only option I see for the next 6 months or so is the Sammy. :(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 177 Old 10-08-2006, 06:20 AM

Andrew and Cliff thank you for the excellent reviews. Exactly why so many find it worthwhile to check out AVS for honest real world reviews. Thanks again :)
post #93 of 177 Old 10-08-2006, 06:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I 100% agree. At the price versus performance I am grabbing the Sammy (can't believe it) at a heck of a price. I have been told by a couple more sources that there is really no picture Q differences between the two. So why spend 1300 on one? I am getting the Sammy severly discounted and the 800 I save I can use on more BD titles and HD DVD titles. Or put it up for Christmas! Thanks for yur reviews!!! :)

Build your own Concession Stand Counter for cheap! Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #94 of 177 Old 10-08-2006, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayF
First, thanks for these great reviews. I was about to order this player but now think it's best to hold off.

Andrew, I struggle with believing this about the PS3, especially if a dedicated machine like the Panasonic isn't delivering on SD. I guess we'll all know in another month, but since there's probably no chance I'll get my hands on one the only option I see for the next 6 months or so is the Sammy. :(
The Panasonic and Samsung are both very good players for HD in my opinion. The question becomes how much do you want to spend on a 1st gen unit that happens to be in the middle of a format war? Generally I would spend $1,000 to get on the bleeding edge and I did when the Samsung was first released, but the format war has changed my willingness to throw money around.
post #95 of 177 Old 10-08-2006, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the review. Sounds like video and audio playback is right on point. None of these players are going to magically change the way encodings look. A bad encoding is a bad encoding. But to hear some things were improved over the Samsung tells me the extra horsepower of this machine is working to Panasonic's advantage.
post #96 of 177 Old 10-08-2006, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Cliff, does it do certain things that the Samsung does (like Title/Time search and resume play on start-up) that the Toshiba doesn't do?
post #97 of 177 Old 10-08-2006, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the first impressions. Please post more as you view a larger amount of software. We are grateful that you have taken the time to post!
post #98 of 177 Old 10-08-2006, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for those reviews, guys. Any first-hand experiences like these are much appreciated.

I like the fact that Panasonic has a website where you can download the firmwares and burn them yourself. If only Toshiba did that, instead of having to wait for a disc to be mailed to you if you don't want to hook up your player to the web via the ethernet port (some of us can't because of logistic reasons in our homes). Although not a huge dig against Tosh, it would be nice if they did this like Panasonic does. It's a good thing, too, that they say the firmware to provide those audio codecs is coming. Sure, it's yet ONE MORE BD PROMISE, which we get a lot of, but you get the feeling they're working on it...at least.

It looks like the Samsung may get some vindication here. From the early Panny reviews I've read here and other places, there's a resounding agreement that the early encodes still look bad, and the newer ones still look good. Maybe all the fingers that got pointed squarely at the Samsung very early on, may have to point elsewhere, as many have suspected all along.

I eagerly await more wonderful reviews like these. Remember when sspears put on his latex gloves and gave the Sammy a thorough review? Does he have one coming for this unit as well?? :D

Thanks again, guys, for sharing. :cool:

Still looking for a movie theatre that shows movies the way they're SUPPOSED to be viewed...

...with a bitrate meter and screencaps.
post #99 of 177 Old 10-08-2006, 08:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Thanks for the review Cliff, well done!
post #100 of 177 Old 10-08-2006, 08:57 AM

Did any of you Pearl owners test the 24p output from the Pany ?
Is it an enabled feature or just marketing hoax ?
post #101 of 177 Old 10-08-2006, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Hmm, I surprised so many are considering the Samsung, even at $500.
Just a suggestion, you might want to wait for the full review from Kris Deering before plunking down your hard earned cash.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #102 of 177 Old 10-08-2006, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The Samsung is fine on HD material.
post #103 of 177 Old 10-08-2006, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by danam
Did any of you Pearl owners test the 24p output from the Pany ?
Is it an enabled feature or just marketing hoax ?

Handles 1080P similar to the Samsung. 1080i then internal scaler.

Nice to see the Samsung getting vindicated for all the abuse against it. Bad encodes are bad encodes but oh how some fought this tooth and nail......
post #104 of 177 Old 10-08-2006, 09:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Andrew great report thank you.

Question: You mentioned the machine features sharpness, contrast etc. Do these work for HD content or just standard dvds. Thanks!
post #105 of 177 Old 10-08-2006, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gouger
Andrew great report thank you.

Question: You mentioned the machine features sharpness, contrast etc. Do these work for HD content or just standard dvds. Thanks!
Can someone explain why they would have these controls in this thing????? I would think it would just send the image untouched and allow your display to do any tweaks?????
post #106 of 177 Old 10-08-2006, 09:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR1
Handles 1080P similar to the Samsung. 1080i then internal scaler.

Nice to see the Samsung getting vindicated for all the abuse against it. Bad encodes are bad encodes but oh how some fought this tooth and nail......
Do you have any proof of this??

the samsung with the newer models looks better and anyone that has it has agreed,
post #107 of 177 Old 10-08-2006, 09:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus1099
Can someone explain why they would have these controls in this thing????? I would think it would just send the image untouched and allow your display to do any tweaks?????
That's probably the way most people will use it, but it never hurts to have other options to play and experiment with either.
post #108 of 177 Old 10-08-2006, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Good review, Cliff. :D Glad to hear that the "softness" issue on the Samsung has been decided. Now we just have to wait for the earlier BD releases to be remastered; TFE and HOFD, but Sony should release the international version of HOFD and Kungfu Hustle.

The fact that Eight Below is included in the package is missed by everyone! And that you get another two Disney BDs as well!

fuad

"DonÂt let them tell you who you are is not enough, that itÂs wrong and that you wonÂt find love. DonÂt let them use my life to put your future down, or tell you that happiness canÂt be found."
post #109 of 177 Old 10-08-2006, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WriteSimple
Good review, Cliff. :D Glad to hear that the "softness" issue on the Samsung has been decided.
I would wait for a comparison between this unit and one where the NR chip is turned down/off. Would the units perform the same then?

BTW great review Cliff and Andrew, good to know that it has improvements and three free movies is nothing to sneeze at (even if you have no choices). BTW, has anyone tested the DVD-A playback? Is it the real DVD-A or just the downsampled DD mix?

***Warning*** Do not look into laser with remaining eye!!
post #110 of 177 Old 10-08-2006, 10:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus1099
I do not need these and prefer the straightest purest signal but those who do not use an outboard scaler may benifit from these features. Especially if it offers aspect ratio control
For what this costs it should offer something additional :)
The Pioneer based on previous models should be loaded.
post #111 of 177 Old 10-08-2006, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forceflow
I would wait for a comparison between this unit and one where the NR chip is turned down/off. Would the units perform the same then?
Please be specific in asking which player you think the NR chip should be turned off. If you are saying that it's the Samsung, then it just means that the Samsung either by design gives off soft video or need the firmware to give a better PQ.

Quote:
BTW great review Cliff and Andrew, good to know that it has improvements and three free movies is nothing to sneeze at (even if you have no choices). BTW, has anyone tested the DVD-A playback? Is it the real DVD-A or just the downsampled DD mix?
If it's advertised as DVD-A then it should play DVD-A. Otherwise, owners can sue.

fuad

"DonÂt let them tell you who you are is not enough, that itÂs wrong and that you wonÂt find love. DonÂt let them use my life to put your future down, or tell you that happiness canÂt be found."
post #112 of 177 Old 10-08-2006, 12:05 PM

definately better than eight below, but honestly.....its still flat....its like on close up shots it looks great (this time having to turn sharpness to only +3)....but on standard shots its just flat...something is not kosher....
post #113 of 177 Old 10-08-2006, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlgreen561
definately better than eight below, but honestly.....its still flat....its like on close up shots it looks great (this time having to turn sharpness to only +3)....but on standard shots its just flat...something is not kosher....
If it's a poor transfer/encode, I don't really see what a different player can do to help it.

Brandon A. DuHamel
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
Blu-rayDefinition.com

post #114 of 177 Old 10-08-2006, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlgreen561
Sooo, your saying SWAT looks better than Eight Below? :rolleyes:
post #115 of 177 Old 10-08-2006, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Time to spend some time and calibrate your display to the player.
post #116 of 177 Old 10-08-2006, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Roger still loves it ;)

But he loves every BD disc, so maybe he doesn't really count :)
post #117 of 177 Old 10-08-2006, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd2012
Time to spend some time and calibrate your display to the player.
Speaking of that (not to throw this thread too far off-topic) but how would one calibrate their set for a BD player? Is there a BD calibration disc? Or does it have to be best estimate by eye?

Brandon A. DuHamel
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
Blu-rayDefinition.com

post #118 of 177 Old 10-08-2006, 01:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

The sony disk have calbration test patterns i belive the code if 7669
post #119 of 177 Old 10-08-2006, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoy
Speaking of that (not to throw this thread too far off-topic) but how would one calibrate their set for a BD player? Is there a BD calibration disc? Or does it have to be best estimate by eye?
There are some test paterns on the early Sony BD releases, but its probably best to do it by eye. When I was looking for an LCD TV a year ago, I spent an hour with a Sharp LCD, Sony DVD, and a copy of Finding Nemo and calibrated the TV via the user menus. I got it so perfect that the next day some guy came in and bought the floor model. No kidding.
post #120 of 177 Old 10-08-2006, 01:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinca1
Do you have any proof of this??
Someone posted inside pics a while back (a few weeks ago?) of a downstream chip after the Sigma. Stacy identified the downstream chip, and it handles IVT for 1080i off the Sigma to output 1080p24*. It will be interesting to see how well/poor it fairs in certain tests (it also supports other could-be-good/could-be-bad processing).

* I have to add that you're making this sound like it's a bad thing. It doesn't have to be. I view these devices as Turing machines...I don't care if they need 10 chips and a hamster on speed** to get 1080p24 output, it's still 1080p24 output, assuming it's done right.

** Word on the street is that the Sony/Pioneer units use a gerbil on crystal meth. So many choices!

Alex doesn't live here anymore
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page