Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 Old 10-19-2006, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It'll probably delayed for a while. Sony needs all the blu ray dildes for PS3.
post #3 of 83 Old 10-19-2006, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I'm OUT. Looking for a panny. Will probably return the receiver also. Bstrds.....

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #4 of 83 Old 10-19-2006, 09:56 AM

Liked: 12
I have never seen a company, with so much at stake with a new product, do so little to help their own cause. It's unbelievable. They've put out the worst quality high-def disc releases of any studio, and can't get their own (now inadequately featured) player out the door. Pitiful.

I thought I really wanted a Blu-Ray player before launch, but now have no confidence that this format will remain viable outside of Sony's PS3 game market. If it wasn't for the Warner BD releases, I think they would have lost all momentum to keep BD alive as a successful video disc format.

Greg (owns HD-DVD, but is not usuaally so inflammatory againt Blu-Ray, sorry!)
post #5 of 83 Old 10-19-2006, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSpeed6
Sony needs all the blu ray dildes for PS3.
:)
post #6 of 83 Old 10-19-2006, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 340
I'm not defending Sony, trust me, but their player is being OEM'd in part by Pioneer. If you want confirmation, check out numerous threads, and a pic of the the back panel shown in another recent thread.

Since Pioneer has delayed their player, it makes sense that the Sony will also be delayed until Sony & Pioneer are ready. But I do agree completely with gsearles that Sony has not done well at all in this product launch, making some bad decisions along the way.

At least that's my take as an eager consumer. In the meantime, I'm completely enjoying my HD-DVD :D

ss9001

Steve
post #7 of 83 Old 10-19-2006, 10:22 AM

Well, I usually never bought Sony equipment that I would have known to be OEM'd. I own plenty of Sony Audio/Video and accessory type gear. However, for a breakthrough product like this one, to be OEM'd, even by Pioneer, just doesn't settle well with me.

If Sony is truely going to lead us somewhere "beyond" they should at least make their own products , else the magic is gone from this buyers perspective...
post #8 of 83 Old 10-19-2006, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Its pretty simple. Sony needs every last Blue Diode for the PS3 and they already have a demand that far exceeds the supply. They will sell every single PS3 they can make for at least 1 year. It comes down to priorities, and if Sony has a raw material shortage, then the PS3 is going to get priority. The BDP-S1 will be put on hold until the raw material shortage is relieved. Then, the BDP-S1 production can begin.

I mean, its not difficult for Sony to make that choice. Would you rather have a guarantee that you'll sell your product(PS3), or produce a product that might sell and see a number of them get returned(BDP-S1)?

How do you go low? A SVS PB10-isd and a Cerwin Vega LW-15, that's how I go
Sony 60GB PS3 for Blu-ray Movies
post #9 of 83 Old 10-19-2006, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

But who could resist an offer like this!
http://www.sonystyle.com/intershopro...discplayer.jpg
post #10 of 83 Old 10-19-2006, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.greenway
But who could resist an offer like this!
http://www.sonystyle.com/intershopro...discplayer.jpg
LOL!
post #11 of 83 Old 10-19-2006, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

They have to so SOMETHING with all those copies they pressed! Or land-fill 'em.
LOL :D

ss9001

Steve
post #12 of 83 Old 10-19-2006, 11:49 AM

This does kinda suck, but I've been waiting so long now that as long as I get my player for Christmas I'll be happy. :) To be honest, I'd rather have them delay it a bit if it means I'll get a bug free player... fingers crossed!
post #13 of 83 Old 10-19-2006, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPorterhouse
Its pretty simple. Sony needs every last Blue Diode for the PS3 and they already have a demand that far exceeds the supply. They will sell every single PS3 they can make for at least 1 year. It comes down to priorities, and if Sony has a raw material shortage, then the PS3 is going to get priority. The BDP-S1 will be put on hold until the raw material shortage is relieved. Then, the BDP-S1 production can begin.

I mean, its not difficult for Sony to make that choice. Would you rather have a guarantee that you'll sell your product(PS3), or produce a product that might sell and see a number of them get returned(BDP-S1)?
Well all I can say is, if this is true then Sony is giving the shaft to their CE partners royally!! Withholding parts so that they (Sony) can put out a product which also happens to under cut your product, if I was one of them I would pissed big time!!
post #14 of 83 Old 10-19-2006, 12:21 PM

Quote:

Oh I see. So, it is more important to sell the PS3 which they are losing money on big time, rather than sell the BDP-S1, which may at least have some margin of profit to it. I wonder how many millions of those vastly unprofitable PS3s it will take to sink Sonys ship? :rolleyes:

P.S. I still want those expensive Sony products made by Sony, and in Japan hopefully!
post #15 of 83 Old 10-19-2006, 12:22 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

I see your point, but at the same time, the format needs a push from the movie standpoint, or else it risks losing viability as anything except a PS3 game disc format. If the Blu-Ray format became a PS3-only thing, it doesn't really help Sony much at all.

The projected sales for the movie disc player would be far less than the volume of expected PS3 sales, the profit margins are higher I'm sure, and the format needs the push in the movie realm. I personally think they should have prioritized the movie disc player higher. Just my 2 cents...

Greg
post #16 of 83 Old 10-19-2006, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

At this point Sony has got more eggs in the PS3 basket.
With all the delays of both products, it appears the movie end is getting the shaft.
post #17 of 83 Old 10-19-2006, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001
I'm not defending Sony, trust me, but their player is being OEM'd in part by Pioneer. If you want confirmation, check out numerous threads, and a pic of the the back panel shown in another recent thread.

Since Pioneer has delayed their player, it makes sense that the Sony will also be delayed until Sony & Pioneer are ready. But I do agree completely with gsearles that Sony has not done well at all in this product launch, making some bad decisions along the way.

At least that's my take as an eager consumer. In the meantime, I'm completely enjoying my HD-DVD :D

ss9001
If that is indeed the case, why does the Sony not play CD's? The pioneer does, right?

Living the HT Dream...now in 4D.
post #18 of 83 Old 10-19-2006, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
why does the Sony not play CD's? The pioneer does, right?
Nope

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #19 of 83 Old 10-19-2006, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark0
At this point Sony has got more eggs in the PS3 basket.
With all the delays of both products, it appears the movie end is getting the shaft.

I believe both Sony and Panasonic are waiting for HDMI 1.3 to be available for production. Why would they release a Blu-Ray player if it does not have the 1.3 connection? With Toshiba releasing XA2 $999 with 1.3 sometime in Dec/06 / Jan/07 timeframe, both Sony and Panasonic want to ensure they have the same technology or their Blu-Ray players could be viewed and compared with the Toshiba A2 $499 unit, which is basically what happen with Samsung Blu-Ray. :cool:

What you see is what you get. HD DVD is spectacular, early adopters will freak out, every Tuesday will feel like Xmas. The best film-based audio and video I've yet experienced in my home theater.
post #20 of 83 Old 10-19-2006, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Oh I see. So, it is more important to sell the PS3 which they are losing money on big time, rather than sell the BDP-S1
Actually, that is completely correct.
post #21 of 83 Old 10-19-2006, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrimore
If that is indeed the case, why does the Sony not play CD's? The pioneer does, right?
No it does not. Check Pioneer's web site info and numerous threads discussing the Pioneer. The Pioneer was never going to play CD's since it was first announced by press release.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...tailsComponent

ss9001

Steve
post #22 of 83 Old 10-19-2006, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant7311
I believe both Sony and Panasonic are waiting for HDMI 1.3 to be available for production. Why would they release a Blu-Ray player if it does not have the 1.3 connection? With Toshiba releasing XA2 $999 with 1.3 sometime in Dec/06 / Jan/07 timeframe, both Sony and Panasonic want to ensure they have the same technology or their Blu-Ray players could be viewed and compared with the Toshiba A2 $499 unit, which is basically what happen with Samsung Blu-Ray. :cool:
A Sony spokesmen has already stated the BDP-S1 is too far along in the production process to change the specifications at this point. I’m sure the thread is still around for the direct quote.
post #23 of 83 Old 10-19-2006, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

And the Panasonic is out now, and to the best of my knowledge does not have 1.3
either.

ss9001

Steve
post #24 of 83 Old 10-19-2006, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Ah found it, but it wasn't a thread here.

http://www.dvdfile.com/index.php?opt...5498&Itemid=11
post #25 of 83 Old 10-19-2006, 01:05 PM

I just can't see Sony delaying the BDP-S1 to pass the diodes onto the PS3.

How many BDP-S1's do we expect Sony to sell, 10,000-20,000 max? Thats a drop in the ocean compared to the PS3's 400,000 units.

The BDP-S1 is delayed for another reason IMO.
post #26 of 83 Old 10-19-2006, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Devil

How many BDP-S1's do we expect Sony to sell, 10,000-20,000 max? Thats a drop in the ocean compared to the PS3's 400,000 units.

Priorites man. Battle against microsoft is more important then selling some blu ray players to the rich.
post #27 of 83 Old 10-19-2006, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

It would seem as if fighting two battles at once can be quite problematic.
post #28 of 83 Old 10-19-2006, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd much rather have a PS3 than the standalone Sony BD player.

John McAdams
post #29 of 83 Old 10-19-2006, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigVid
Oh I see. So, it is more important to sell the PS3 which they are losing money on big time, rather than sell the BDP-S1, which may at least have some margin of profit to it. I wonder how many millions of those vastly unprofitable PS3s it will take to sink Sonys ship? :rolleyes:

P.S. I still want those expensive Sony products made by Sony, and in Japan hopefully!
Couple of points....while the PS3 hardware may be a loss leader, the lack of profitability will be subsidized by software sales and peripheral PS3 products. In this case you are talking about sales of games, sales of blu ray movies, extra controllers, carrying cases, etc....

Secondly, I believe it makes sense for Sony to devote most the majority of their resources to the product that can generate larger sales and improves their market penetration rate for blu ray. Ask yourself will the larger sales come from a product that costs $500-$600 or one that will cost $1,000? When you start talking about a $1,000 DVD player you are limiting sales to a small niche market of home theater ethusiasts who have sufficient net disposable income to pick up these players and a handful of movies. Now I'm not implying the PS3 is cheap by any means...and I think the price point for this product will still be problematic.

Third, Sony has a large PS2 audience that they are trying to satisfy with the PS3. They are the number one gaming console manufacturer in terms of sales. Currently there is a limited market of blu ray consumers. It would makes sense that Sony devote it's resources to the millions of PS2 fans out there and try to convince them to buy the PS3. There is signficant brand loyality out there to the Playstation product. And while there may be brand loyalty to Sony itself, that does not mean it will translate over to it's new blu ray player. At this point, the stand alone blu ray player is an unknown quantity. IMHO Sony is basing their success in the ongoing high def DVD war on the market penetration of the PS3.

Finally, while it is disappointing that their blu ray player has been pushed back. At least consumers have options with the Samsung and Panny players. While delaying their unit means less initial blu ray player sales for Sony, they still benefit if consumers by a rival manufacturer's player and begin supporting the blu ray format.
post #30 of 83 Old 10-19-2006, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Devil

When I checked on my order w/ Sonystyle yesterday afternoon they told me that they had preorders for 380 something units and that they would be receiving 500 in time for the Oct 25th launch. Now this morning it is delayed. 380 something preorders seems awful low to me. Thoughts.......
Canceled my Sony and ordered the Panny.

Perhaps I misremembered.

Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page