post #181 of 184 Old 11-01-2006, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty22001
In 3 weeks, many more times will own a BD player than hddvd.

I personally don't have either, but I'll get a PS3 when I can for regular price in the next few months.

And yes, capicity and support do make or break a format. You listed one esoteric one, without thinking of VHS (capicity) or many format VHS vs few on Beta.

hddvd's a goner, I give it one more year, and Toshiba will go. They are all it has.

Blu-ray holds more and has far more support and promise. There's no arguing that.
I certainly don't plan on making any predictions, but what I can say is that I bought an A1 because you can burn HD onto a standard dvd and play it back as HD in the toshiba player.... this is a BIIIIGGGGG plus that can not be done at present with blu ray... and it is the same reason why blu ray is almost unheard of in the video editing world. If you own a HD camcorder and do video editing, then you want a toshiba. Nobody I know in this position even mentions the name "blu-ray"... I don't believe HD-dvd is anywhere NEAR "a goner".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 184 Old 11-01-2006, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthJedi
There is an article over at tvpredictions that spells out why HD-DVD will become the defacto format in the format war. I think it does a good job of making an excellent argument.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/whipblu102406.htm
Quite a nice collection of FUD, misinformation, speculation and just plain crap.
He points out the price discounting of the A1 but ignores the same thing on the Sammy (percentage wise a much bigger drop.)
He discounts the PS3 on very vague grounds yet pimps the XBox hack-on drive.
Lots of "may", "should", and rumours.
Pfft.
post #183 of 184 Old 11-01-2006, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by builty
He discounts the PS3 on very vague grounds yet pimps the XBox hack-on drive.
"Very vague grounds"? Every single X-Box add on will be used specifically for viewing HD DVDs. The same cannot be said of the PS3. For all we know 90% of PS3 owners won't buy BD movie discs. It's a valid point.

Ultimately, it's going to come down to studio support. At this point, even with Fox and Disney being BD-exclusive, it doesn't mean much. Because those studios are (mostly) releasing ****** titles. If they decide to become format neutral by the time the big guns come out, there's no reason to believe that HD DVD will not only survive, but thrive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #184 of 184 Old 11-01-2006, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

You might be right in percentage terms, but 10% of 4 million PS3s is more than 100% of 100,000 XBox addons (numbers are guesstimates but probably in the ballpark.)

Its all speculation anyway, there is little point in arguing as happens here so much. Fact is only time will tell.
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page