Rio
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterS
Neither MPEG-2 nor MPEG-4 (AVC) were designed for HD content. They are both retrofits designed to accomplish the task through increasing the bit-rates.

MPEG-2 - designed for NTSC/PAL SD Video. It is what DVDs are encoded in (how do they look?)

MPEG-4 (AVC/h.264) - Designed for internet video conferencing. Increased bandwidth and some spec changes to support additional colorspaces made to support HD. VERY PROCESSOR INTENSIVE.
Before MPEG-2 standard was issued, there were groups for MPEG-2 and MPEG-3 independently, where MPEG-2 aimed for SD or less and MPEG-3 for HD or higher. During the standardization, engineers got concluded to combine them together and only issued MPEG-2 to cover both of them. Some of digital theatrical projection are using high bit rate MPEG2.

H.264, which was originally called H.26L, where "L" stands for "long term" or something like that to aim ultimate efficient video codec, putting almost everything known techniques whatever it costs, for long term solution. Engineers indeed very much considered covering from very low bit rate application to higher level application.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 185 Old 11-19-2006, 03:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataraj
Actually, Sony ;)
For Sony releases, true. But for other studio releases, it could actually be Microsoft. Or rather, one individual at Microsoft...

NilsP

Life is better in HD.
post #183 of 185 Old 11-19-2006, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I should point out that both MPEG-2 and the basic MPEG-4 system were finalized long before the US HD standards were. So, please explain to me how these systems were designed to compress a signal which, at the time, did not exist.

Look, I worked with Richard Bruno, one of the founders of the CD and the original MPEG system for Phillips, NV. I think even he would tell you that both MPEG-2 and MPEG-4, no matter what the variant, are not efficient in their job.

"Read Less, More TV." - Dr. Gregory House

"That which can not be questioned, can not be trusted." - Me

The Metropolis Home Theater

Blue Smoke Entertainment Systems - Affiliated
post #184 of 185 Old 11-19-2006, 10:08 PM
Rio
Advanced Member

Quote:
I should point out that both MPEG-2 and the basic MPEG-4 system were finalized long before the US HD standards were. So, please explain to me how these systems were designed to compress a signal which, at the time, did not exist.
ATSC is just one of the applications based on MPEG-2. MPEG-2 was not designed purely for ATSC. And many part of ATSC's work, I think, was not about compression technologies, but protocols for broadcasting, RF moduration, and politics :)

I think you are mixing up H.264 (a.k.a. MPEG-4 Part 10) with others in MPEG-4. Those have different history, in other word, the root was different. H.264 was originally standardized in ITU, not MPEG. There are no compatibility between so called MPEG-4 and H.264, because they are different animals. During H.264 standardization, ATSC had started already.

Quote:
Look, I worked with Richard Bruno, one of the founders of the CD and the original MPEG system for Phillips, NV. I think even he would tell you that both MPEG-2 and MPEG-4, no matter what the variant, are not efficient in their job.
If you think H.264 is not efficient enough against VC-1, many people would have different opinions/stories from yours.
post #185 of 185 Old 11-20-2006, 12:37 AM

OK if nobody want's to test those samples could you then please upload a trailer from Sonys PS3 Network :)

and just about your interesting conversation on H.264 and VC-1, both where allready outdated when they were finalized PeterS is absolutely right about this.
We gonna see completely new aproaches to Video Compression then what we have seen in the past.
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page