Got My PS3 Today! Review Shortly! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-16-2006, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got my PS3 this morning and will review it shortly. I have the 60GB Premium edition. I am currently watching Tears of the Sun and will watch Ice age and Blackhawk Down later. I bought this mainly as a Blu-ray disc player.

~Josh

hidefpreview
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2006, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 32
What is your experience with other BD Players?

From reports it is as good a player as the Panasonic. Can you confirm this?

Thanks

"Read Less, More TV." - Dr. Gregory House

"That which can not be questioned, can not be trusted." - Me

The Metropolis Home Theater

Blue Smoke Entertainment Systems - Affiliated
Old 11-16-2006, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterS
What is your experience with other BD Players?

From reports it is as good a player as the Panasonic. Can you confirm this?

Thanks
I currently own the BD-P1000 with the updated FW and I also own the HD-A1 with FW 2.0 and the Xbox 360 HD-DVD add-on.

~Josh

hidefpreview
Old 11-16-2006, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Well, if it is as good as the HD-A1 I will be impressed.

Better than the Samsung I am hoping!

"Read Less, More TV." - Dr. Gregory House

"That which can not be questioned, can not be trusted." - Me

The Metropolis Home Theater

Blue Smoke Entertainment Systems - Affiliated
Old 11-16-2006, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just got through watching the majority of TOTS. To my eye, I see no difference between the BD-P1000 and the PS3. Both produce a nice picture, although somewhat soft at times.

I have also watched a bit of Ice Age. I am somewhat dissapointed in this title. In some of the scenes where blue is the dominant color, I am almost seeing banding, similar to what you would see in certain LCD tv's.

The PS3 is very quiet. It is more quiet then the Xbox 360. I have noticed that the PS3 produces a very high level of heat. When I was watching Ice Age, the PS3 froze and I had to re-start once. Hopefully we do not have heat issues with this device.

More reviews shortly. I will take a look at Blackhawk Down and Talledaga Nights. Also I will look at Terminator and 5th Element to see if the PS3 improves PQ at all.

~Josh

hidefpreview
Old 11-16-2006, 11:59 AM

what type of tv and what resolution are you watching the movies at?
Old 11-16-2006, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
banding is very common in 3d rendering, especially in skies and gradients.

Most likly the banding was in the source.

but I Think ice age 2 has an amazing picture quality to it, and the 3d really pops out at yah.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by legbone
what type of tv and what resolution are you watching the movies at?
I am watching on a Sumsung LNS-4695 also am running tests on a Sony Pearl as we speak. Everything is being run at 1080p resolution.

~Josh

hidefpreview
Old 11-16-2006, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
do you notice any difference from the HDMI 1.3 with its ability for "billions of colors" or will it make no difference unless you have a display that supports it?
Old 11-16-2006, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver
do you notice any difference from the HDMI 1.3 with its ability for "billions of colors" or will it make no difference unless you have a display that supports it?
I see no difference at all, but I think you are correct in that you need a display which can support HDMI 1.3, which I do not have.

~Josh

hidefpreview
Old 11-16-2006, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey Josh, how about some pics of the ps3 near the Samsung Blu Ray player. I would like to know how big the Ps3 is.

Thanks

I'm no videophile, but I know what looks good to me.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Any HDMI issues so far?
Old 11-16-2006, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatboy77
More reviews shortly. I will take a look at Blackhawk Down and Talledaga Nights. Also I will look at Terminator and 5th Element to see if the PS3 improves PQ at all.

~Josh

If you could run some HD test patterns on PS3, that would be great.

HDPLEX
Old 11-16-2006, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I see no difference at all, but I think you are correct in that you need a display which can support HDMI 1.3, which I do not have.
And even if you had such a display, you'd need a source with 'billions of colours'. Blu-ray movies don't apply. Dunno about PS3 games, tho.

Please, feel free to call me by my first name, Petri.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAZZZY
Hey Josh, how about some pics of the ps3 near the Samsung Blu Ray player. I would like to know how big the Ps3 is.

Thanks
If my wife brings the camera home from school (She is an Elementary School Teacher) today, I will do that. The PS3 is deffinately not as wide and as deep as the BD-P1000, but it is a bit higher in height. I have it sitting by my Xbox 360 and it is a little bigger then that.

~Josh

hidefpreview
Old 11-16-2006, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfyncsu7
Any HDMI issues so far?
None so far.

~Josh

hidefpreview
Old 11-16-2006, 12:29 PM

Can you compare 1080i vs 1080p input on the Pearl?

edit: Pearl
Old 11-16-2006, 01:11 PM

By any chance do you have MI3 on HD-DVD and BluRay? That would be ideal. I have the Pearl and HD-DVD. It would be interesting to know if there are any clear winners with these dual format releases. I have the 360 with the Add-on and it does seem to provide a solid image. I have been going back and forth on getting a stand-alone player, but so far do not see the benefit of the stand-alones since I will have the consoles for the games. Not wild about hearing it freeze up already though.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by space2001
banding is very common in 3d rendering, especially in skies and gradients.

Most likly the banding was in the source.
Most if not all movies in the last 8 years are mastered to at least 10-bit capable archive formats. There is no banding with 10-bit and minimal if any at 8-bit with high precision (less rounding errors causing the banding).

Its more likely the banding is occuring in the encoding process since the HD Disc formats only support 8-bit video. Same for DVD video.

It's doubtful any 3d cg features have banding on their sources. If thats the case somebody in QC isn't doing their job.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
For anyone curious about what perceptual data compression does to banding, go to your favorite graphics editor, make a nice color gradient, and save it to some lossless format. Then make a series of copies of this smooth gradient, except with greater and greater degree of compression in jpg format. You will see more and more banding (where the master had literally none, unless you are staring real hard), the more you compress it. Now extend that to what happens in video compression.

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
Old 11-16-2006, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volley
By any chance do you have MI3 on HD-DVD and BluRay? That would be ideal. I have the Pearl and HD-DVD. It would be interesting to know if there are any clear winners with these dual format releases. I have the 360 with the Add-on and it does seem to provide a solid image. I have been going back and forth on getting a stand-alone player, but so far do not see the benefit of the stand-alones since I will have the consoles for the games. Not wild about hearing it freeze up already though.
I only have MI3 on HD-DVD.

~Josh

hidefpreview
Old 11-16-2006, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Just got through watching the majority of TOTS. To my eye, I see no difference between the BD-P1000 and the PS3. Both produce a nice picture, although somewhat soft at times.

I have also watched a bit of Ice Age. I am somewhat dissapointed in this title. In some of the scenes where blue is the dominant color, I am almost seeing banding, similar to what you would see in certain LCD tv's.

The PS3 is very quiet. It is more quiet then the Xbox 360. I have noticed that the PS3 produces a very high level of heat. When I was watching Ice Age, the PS3 froze and I had to re-start once. Hopefully we do not have heat issues with this device.

~Josh
That's strange about the heat issue. Cnet said this

"At the end of the day, as Microsoft learned, you can tout all the power you want, but if you can't keep your system cool--and fairly quiet--you're going to have some serious problems on your hands. What's impressive about this PS3, in fact, is that with all this power under the hood, the system runs as quietly as it does. After running for three hours straight, we found that we could still place a hand over the back of the unit and not get scorched--the system runs pretty warm, but not blazingly hot. While the 360's tendency to overheat has been exaggerated, its cooling fan and DVD drive are comparatively far noisier, sometimes to the point of distraction."

http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_PlaySta...html?tag=uolst

Also a poster D3code who I believe has one in japan said this..

"i have got the ps3 at this moment. constant on for 5 days now 24/7 . havent got any crashing or overheating. the machine stays silent all the time.
so lets get that out of the way. could their be faulty units in between. could very well be. but my system rules. 24/7 for 5 days. does it get hot? not hot. warm is the word for it."

So he and cnet both used the word "warm", I hope that the quality control on these things are good. If my unit is running "hot" while others only "warm" that will have me concerned. I am without a hi-def player right now because of the A2 dealy, hopefully I can snag a PS3 and it will workout well. Thanks for the review.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just got done watching Blackhawk Down. Once again I see no improvement over the BD-P1000. Both produced a nice picture.

I also watched bits of Terminator and 5th Element and there was no improvement in PQ. These two discs just suffer from a very poor transfer.

My main concern for the PS3 remains the amount of heat it generates. I had it freeze-up two more times during the viewing of Blackhawk Down. This concerns me because I have it placed on a shelf with plenty of air movement. It gets a bit annoying have to reboot and find the chapter where you left off.

~Josh

hidefpreview
Old 11-16-2006, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If I plan to hook a PS3 up to my Panny Plasma via HDMI, do I need to purchase an additional cable or does it come with the console?

Marc.

MDC
Old 11-16-2006, 02:45 PM

Quote:
I just got done watching Blackhawk Down. Once again I see no improvement over the BD-P1000. Both produced a nice picture.

I also watched bits of Terminator and 5th Element and there was no improvement in PQ. These two discs just suffer from a very poor transfer.

My main concern for the PS3 remains the amount of heat it generates. I had it freeze-up two more times during the viewing of Blackhawk Down. This concerns me because I have it placed on a shelf with plenty of air movement. It gets a bit annoying have to reboot and find the chapter where you left off.

~Josh
It looks like you might have a faulty unit in regards to the heat. Can you check if you can send 480i over HDMI for SD DVDs? That will be important for people with external scalers. Thanks!
Old 11-16-2006, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc D Carra
If I plan to hook a PS3 up to my Panny Plasma via HDMI, do I need to purchase an additional cable or does it come with the console?

Marc.
My PS3 did not have an HDMI cable included.

~Josh

hidefpreview
Old 11-16-2006, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeusleep
It looks like you might have a faulty unit in regards to the heat. Can you check if you can send 480i over HDMI for SD DVDs? That will be important for people with external scalers. Thanks!
I can not get it to output at 480i over HDMI. I may be doing something wrong though.
It defaults to 480p for any of the SD-DVD's I put in it.
~Josh

hidefpreview
Old 11-16-2006, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

~Josh
Interesting. So no point in the samsung over the PS3 then (analog outs I guess)? I wonder what it looks like compared to the pio/panny players...

That's bad about the lock-ups (maybe not heat related though)... also, it doesnt' resume from the same point when it locks up? I thought this was something that BD players all did (or maybe this is a function of the lock not saving something about the state)?
Old 11-16-2006, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

it's on a shelf? How much (in inches) of room does it have on it's left, right, and top? Also, is the shelf in an enclosed cabinet? If possible, can you put a thermometer near it and tell us the temp?
What about your room temp?
Old 11-16-2006, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark0
it's on a shelf? How much (in inches) of room does it have on it's left, right, and top? Also, is the shelf in an enclosed cabinet? If possible, can you put a thermometer near it and tell us the temp?
What about your room temp?
It is on a tv stand which is not enclosed. This is the type of stand it sits in:

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US...6698674_sa.jpg

~Josh

hidefpreview