Pioneer BDP-HD1 Just bought one! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 175 Old 12-02-2006, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dsinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Isn't the certainty about ship dates wonderful!!! I talked to Magnolia today and the person could not find a ship date in their system. Talked to Sound Advice (Tweeter in FL) today, and they show 12/15 as expected delivery to their FL warehouse date. By the way the Sony looked great at BB showing a Sony demo tape of BD trailers.
dsinger is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 175 Old 12-02-2006, 05:16 PM
Senior Member
 
marine92104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Look at the Sony upconverting of standard DVDs. From other posts on the forum it looks aweful. Tweeter has the Panasonic on sale for $999. It plays CDs, CD-RW, MP3 CDs & DVD-audio also. It has 7.1 analog outs to Sony's 5.1 for people that don't have HDMI on their receiver.

It has 192 DACs & comes with a card to mail in for the advanced audio codecs firmware upgrade in April 07. The sound is incredible. It also comes with 3 free movies. The DVD upconversion to 1080i is as good as my Pioneer Elite 79-AVI also. It's a no brainer in my opinion.
marine92104 is offline  
post #93 of 175 Old 12-02-2006, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dsinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by marine92104
Look at the Sony upconverting of standard DVDs. From other posts on the forum it looks aweful. Tweeter has the Panasonic on sale for $999. It plays CDs, CD-RW, MP3 CDs & DVD-audio also. It has 7.1 analog outs to Sony's 5.1 for people that don't have HDMI on their receiver.

It has 192 DACs & comes with a card to mail in for the advanced audio codecs firmware upgrade in April 07. The sound is incredible. It also comes with 3 free movies. The DVD upconversion to 1080i is as good as my Pioneer Elite 79-AVI also. It's a no brainer in my opinion.
I use an external video processor. The 480i over HDMI from either the Sony or the Pioneer will provide a totally digital path for SD DVDs. Similar/same as a SDI moded DVD Player. In theory this should provide the best PQ for SD DVDs. The VP does the upconversion to 1080p. The 24p output may also be advantageous since the VP mft. (Lumagen) is working on a firmware update to allow the unit to accept this as an input. Audio isn't as important to me as others and I will keep my Sony 999es for the occasional CD. Whichever player I choose will only be kept for 18-24 months. At that point I will buy a 2/3 gen unit and a new receiver with 1.3 capabilities.
dsinger is online now  
post #94 of 175 Old 12-02-2006, 06:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Neo-Geo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Memphis, TN USA
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
My local dealer dosn't even know his cost for the BDP-HD1 yet. Yep, 1st quarter 2007 seems more realistic for this Pioneer BD release. Looking forward to the new HDMI 1.3 receivers and I don't mind waiting another 6 to 8 weeks for the BDP-HD1 as long as it has HDMI 1.3. Then I can upgrade my VSX-82TXS to a 4 HDMI input Pioineer receiver w/ HDMI 1.3 as well. Good things to come.
Neo-Geo is offline  
post #95 of 175 Old 12-02-2006, 07:43 PM
Senior Member
 
marine92104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any news if the Pioneer Elite will have the advanced audio codecs or a firmware update for the Dolby Digital True HD & the DTS-MA?

It's funny when I called their Blu-Ray department a couple of weeks ago they said it definitely would not have the HDMI 1.3 or the advanced codecs.
marine92104 is offline  
post #96 of 175 Old 12-02-2006, 09:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Neo-Geo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Memphis, TN USA
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by marine92104
Any news if the Pioneer Elite will have the advanced audio codecs or a firmware update for the Dolby Digital True HD & the DTS-MA?

It's funny when I called their Blu-Ray department a couple of weeks ago they said it definitely would not have the HDMI 1.3 or the advanced codecs.
I have to admit that the chances of the BDP-HD1 having HDMI 1.3 are very slim. An official Pioneer employee already stated within this very forum that these players already arrived in the USA on November 14th. He went on to say that they need only to install the firmware and do quality checks before finally releasing. He also clarified that the BDP-HD1 will not include HDMI 1.3.

Maybe they plan on modifying the current stockpile of BDP-HD1? That would explain the long delay but that doesn't seem feasible.
Neo-Geo is offline  
post #97 of 175 Old 12-02-2006, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rlsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 5,618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I told two Pioneer reps two weeks ago that they might as well forget this product if they won't be supporting, in some form, the new audio codecs. Reading between the lines I think they agree with this and I also suspect that they will.

I can buy the Panasonic right now and am guaranteed new codec support. Or I can go onto ebay and buy a 20GB PS3 for about 700 (half the price of the Pioneer) that has a terrific picture and HDMI 1.3.

If Pioneer is smart they will ship when they have the new codecs supported fully.

They also should be announcing a new product that supports HDMI 1.3 and plan on limited production of the BDP-HD1.
rlsmith is offline  
post #98 of 175 Old 12-02-2006, 09:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Rob Tomlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 13,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The release of this player has been a complete disaster, to put it mildly.
Rob Tomlin is offline  
post #99 of 175 Old 12-02-2006, 10:07 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
joerod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: MIDWEST (just outside Chicago)
Posts: 22,132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Rob's right. This release has become a debacle. I found another fix thanks to Kris Deering's great suggestion. I am using the component out for SD DVDs with the Panny to my crystalio II(which then deinterlaces it to 1080p). Sending 480i in this way has created some excellent results with my ruby. And I will use the HDMI out of the Panny for Blu ray discs. I am liking the result so much I am now not even planning on giving the Pioneer an audition... :eek:

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
joerod is offline  
post #100 of 175 Old 12-03-2006, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ss9001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: metro Atlanta
Posts: 8,724
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin
The release of this player has been a complete disaster, to put it mildly.
I'm just an early adopter consumer, and that's sums up my thinking. It's coming too late to the party. I stated that opinion at least once in the Walkamo threads. Hell, the Sony, based on the Pioneer platform, doesn't even have subwoofer settings on the analog outputs. What were they thinking...?

JMO, but they should have spent more time on the audio side, and forgotten about trying to make it a catch-all media server which has far less application at this point in the format war. The only differentiator on the video side is obviously the 1080p24 at this point.

If Pioneer manages to re-work some of the features, I'll consider it. But for now, the Panasonic still looks to have the best useful feature set for the money.

ss9001

Steve
ss9001 is online now  
post #101 of 175 Old 12-03-2006, 07:26 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
joerod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: MIDWEST (just outside Chicago)
Posts: 22,132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Great post! That is what I have deided. Atleast until there are some real true 2nd gen units coming... :)

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
joerod is offline  
post #102 of 175 Old 12-03-2006, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dsinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod
Rob's right. This release has become a debacle. I found another fix thanks to Kris Deering's great suggestion. I am using the component out for SD DVDs with the Panny to my crystalio II(which then deinterlaces it to 1080p). Sending 480i in this way has created some excellent results with my ruby. And I will use the HDMI out of the Panny for Blu ray discs. I am liking the result so much I am now not even planning on giving the Pioneer an audition... :eek:
joerod: What were you using as a SD DVD player before? As I have stated several times my major reason for interest in only the Sony or Pioneer is the 480i out over HDMI. I currently use a Sony 999es at 480i to a Lumagen HDP which provides very good PQ. However I would like to improve upon that as a by product of getting a blu-ray player. Thanks
dsinger is online now  
post #103 of 175 Old 12-03-2006, 07:39 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
joerod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: MIDWEST (just outside Chicago)
Posts: 22,132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I loved my Sony 999ES. One of the best dvd players I ever owned. Before I was using an Onkyo SP1000 whci did its own impressive upconversion. The audio with this unit was very impressive to say the least. Then as of late I have been using the Toshiba XA1 for SD dvds (1080i to my crystalio II which deinterlaced it to 1080p). The results were not bad. I just knew they could be improved upon. So now sending 480i via component from the Panny has done the trick... :)

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
joerod is offline  
post #104 of 175 Old 12-03-2006, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bladerunner7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: san diego california
Posts: 1,346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Look guys, the "the fat lady has NOT sung" on this player. They are waiting to make the PLAYER better by putting in the latest and greatest softwaar into it. The players have arrivied, but the final software has not, give Pioneer a chance and dont wrtie it off....this is an ELITE product....they desereve credit for trying to get this damm thing right.....lets see the final product, how it performs, and what it does...and then make the final decision if its worth 1,500.00 BUCKS. :cool:
bladerunner7 is offline  
post #105 of 175 Old 12-03-2006, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
fa8362's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner7
Look guys, the "the fat lady has NOT sung" on this player. They are waiting to make the PLAYER better by putting in the latest and greatest softwaar into it. The players have arrivied, but the final software has not, give Pioneer a chance and dont wrtie it off....this is an ELITE product....they desereve credit for trying to get this damm thing right.....lets see the final product, how it performs, and what it does...and then make the final decision if its worth 1,500.00 BUCKS. :cool:
It isn't going to be worth $1500 to most people (even early adopters), no matter what they do to it.
fa8362 is offline  
post #106 of 175 Old 12-03-2006, 12:32 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
joerod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: MIDWEST (just outside Chicago)
Posts: 22,132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I agree. For it to be worth 1500 it would have to surpass Toshiba's HD DVD picture Q. And at this point I doubt any Blu ray player will succeed.

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
joerod is offline  
post #107 of 175 Old 12-03-2006, 12:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Rob Tomlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 13,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fa8362
It isn't going to be worth $1500 to most people (even early adopters), no matter what they do to it.
I don't agree with that just yet.

IF (and believe me this is a HUGE if) this player is released with the ability to fully decode the new audio codecs (TrueHD, DTS-HD and DTS-HD MA), then you will have something worth having, especially in combination with the 1080p24 output, and 480i hdmi output for SD DVD.

This is very unlikely though.
Rob Tomlin is offline  
post #108 of 175 Old 12-03-2006, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dsinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod
I loved my Sony 999ES. One of the best dvd players I ever owned. Before I was using an Onkyo SP1000 whci did its own impressive upconversion. The audio with this unit was very impressive to say the least. Then as of late I have been using the Toshiba XA1 for SD dvds (1080i to my crystalio II which deinterlaced it to 1080p). The results were not bad. I just knew they could be improved upon. So now sending 480i via component from the Panny has done the trick... :)
Thanks. Have you compared a SD DVD at 1080i over HDMI to the 480i over component. A thread in the VP section indicates the Sony may produce better SD PQ at 1080i than at 480i over HDMI when fed to a Lumagen. That's a possibility given how the Lumagens chips are structured for processing 480i vs. 1080i. Since both the Sony and the Panny use Sigma chips (as I understand it) you might find an improvement at 1080i. Just a thought.
dsinger is online now  
post #109 of 175 Old 12-03-2006, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
fa8362's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin
I don't agree with that just yet.

IF (and believe me this is a HUGE if) this player is released with the ability to fully decode the new audio codecs (TrueHD, DTS-HD and DTS-HD MA), then you will have something worth having, especially in combination with the 1080p24 output, and 480i hdmi output for SD DVD.

This is very unlikely though.
It may be worth having, but most people (even early adopters) won't just give money away when they know a better player is right around the corner for less, especially when there's hardly anything to play on it. No thanks. I'll stick to D-theatre, dvhs, HDTV and my computer HD recordings. I've been down the early adopter road far too many times to count...but not this time. It might be different if I didn't have any HD content to watch, but I have plenty of it.
fa8362 is offline  
post #110 of 175 Old 12-03-2006, 01:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Rob Tomlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 13,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fa8362
It may be worth having, but most people (even early adopters) won't just give money away when they know a better player is right around the corner for less, especially when there's hardly anything to play on it. No thanks. I'll stick to D-theatre, dvhs, HDTV and my computer HD recordings. I've been down the early adopter road far too many times to count...but not this time. It might be different if I didn't have any HD content to watch, but I have plenty of it.
What better player is "right around the corner for less"??? :confused:
Rob Tomlin is offline  
post #111 of 175 Old 12-03-2006, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
fa8362's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pretty much any second generation player introduced in Q1 2007 is my guess.
fa8362 is offline  
post #112 of 175 Old 12-03-2006, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bladerunner7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: san diego california
Posts: 1,346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fa8362
It isn't going to be worth $1500 to most people (even early adopters), no matter what they do to it.
With that attitude NOTHING is ever going to please you. If it provides the best blue ray picture out there and 1080p/24 and you own a 1080p monitor is sure is worth it given the build quality of the long lasting elite players. I had elite reciever( the first 5.1) and that lasted for about 10 years and I sold it.
If they can build the "best of the Best" BR players and I cAn enjoy that now, well BRING IT ON.
bladerunner7 is offline  
post #113 of 175 Old 12-03-2006, 02:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Rob Tomlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 13,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fa8362
Pretty much any second generation player introduced in Q1 2007 is my guess.
That's what I thought. ;)
Rob Tomlin is offline  
post #114 of 175 Old 12-03-2006, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
 
chuckken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 847
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
At this point, Pioneer may as well make their 1st Gen player their 2nd Gen player!... :rolleyes:
chuckken is offline  
post #115 of 175 Old 12-03-2006, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
drhankz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,470
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckken
At this point, Pioneer may as well make their 1st Gen player their 2nd Gen player!... :rolleyes:
That is my HOPE - so I don't mind waiting for my order to be filled.

ONLY TIME WILL TELL!
drhankz is online now  
post #116 of 175 Old 12-03-2006, 11:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin

IF (and believe me this is a HUGE if) this player is released with the ability to fully decode the new audio codecs (TrueHD, DTS-HD and DTS-HD MA), then you will have something worth having, especially in combination with the 1080p24 output, and 480i hdmi output for SD DVD.
AND do all of that exceedingly well...then, maybe... ;)

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #117 of 175 Old 12-04-2006, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
John Ballentine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Los Angeles, Ca.
Posts: 5,084
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner7
With that attitude NOTHING is ever going to please you. If it provides the best blue ray picture out there and 1080p/24 and you own a 1080p monitor is sure is worth it given the build quality of the long lasting elite players. I had elite reciever( the first 5.1) and that lasted for about 10 years and I sold it.
If they can build the "best of the Best" BR players and I cAn enjoy that now, well BRING IT ON.
I still use the Elite LD-S1 and LD-S2 Laserdisc players. And the former is pushing 18 years old!!! Both have been perfect. But not sure if they still make them the way they used too.
John Ballentine is offline  
post #118 of 175 Old 12-04-2006, 03:16 PM
Member
 
Milspec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know many people are on stand by for this player. I'm interested to know one one detail, will this player do a better job playing back SD DVD than the 79AVi? Both have 480i over HDMI so what would be different?
Milspec is offline  
post #119 of 175 Old 12-04-2006, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
fa8362's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine
I still use the Elite LD-S1 and LD-S2 Laserdisc players. And the former is pushing 18 years old!!! Both have been perfect. But not sure if they still make them the way they used too.
I used a 700 (1984) until 2003 when it finally failed. I use a 95, 97 and 704 now. All still work perfectly.
fa8362 is offline  
post #120 of 175 Old 12-04-2006, 04:15 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
amillians's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Bloom County
Posts: 4,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner7
Look guys, the "the fat lady has NOT sung" on this player. They are waiting to make the PLAYER better by putting in the latest and greatest softwaar into it.
"Better" really isn't the word to use here...they are trying to get the deck to reliably ready BD-R/RE media (fact) and tweaking the BD-J stack (rumor). To get the deck spec conformant, in other words. I'm not knocking them, though--I believe they are taking the high ground compared to Sony's releasing without key format support, a move akin to releasing a 4x4 truck that only supports 2 wheel drive, and then promising a 4 wheel drive upgrade at some unknown point in the future.

That said, for people still looking for this player to be prototypically Elite (i.e., a player for the ages, a no brainer purchase), the fact that it doesn't do PiP or BD-Live, and ostensibly never will, should be something to think about long and hard before purchasing.

Alex doesn't live here anymore
amillians is offline  
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off