Closed Thread

post #151 of 175 Old 12-09-2006, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod
Julian you are looking to deep into my statement. Overall in terms of picture quality is what I am talking about.
Your comments still don't make sense. Unless you are directly comparing the same titles, your statement is meaningless. I have both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray and to my eyes the best looking title in my collection is "Kingdom of Heaven". Does that mean Blu-Ray is inherently better than HD DVD?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 175 Old 12-09-2006, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Lalor
Your comments still don't make sense. Unless you are directly comparing the same titles, your statement is meaningless. I have both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray and to my eyes the best looking title in my collection is "Kingdom of Heaven". Does that mean Blu-Ray is inherently better than HD DVD?
Equal at least and soon to be better wtih superior storage capacity and better mastering of the discs. :D The best demo matieral I have seen is BR hands down.
post #153 of 175 Old 12-09-2006, 09:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I have Kingdom of Heaven as well but I still think there are a few HD DVD titles that are better. I have compared about 9 dual format releases. I have also compared many DTHEATER titles as well. I first send their signals by themselves to my pj then I put them into my crystalio II and I can tell which has the best picture quality by the amount of tweaking I need to do with the crystalio II. SO what does not make sense? I have 90 HD DVD titles and 16 Blu ray titles not to mention 92 DTHEATER titles (plus I have netflixed many I don't own in each format) so if anyone can judge a format on its overall best picture Quality I think I would qualify... Does that make sense? :eek:

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #154 of 175 Old 12-11-2006, 07:01 AM

I just called Pioneer to see if I could find out when the BDP-HD1 will be released. He said it has shipped to stores, and will be available shortly. He also said that the player will have HDMI 1.3! (Note, he said the PRO-FHD1 has HDMI 1.2, but there will be a firmware upgrade next year [which would be installed through the rs-232 port]).

If this is a repost, my apologies. This is my first post (so mercy please LOL). I did a search to see if this had been posted before (+BDP-HD1 +HDMI +1.3) and got 103 thread results.

I figured if I read all of the thousands of posts to see if it had been posted, by the time I finished it would definitely be a repost LOL.

Also thank you to everyone who contributes - you help has been awesome!
post #155 of 175 Old 12-11-2006, 07:05 AM

so are you saying that the PROFHD1 can be upgraded to HDMI 1.3 with the addition of the BDP-HD1 and that has HDMI 1.3 as well???

If confirmed thats freakin awesome!!
post #156 of 175 Old 12-11-2006, 09:59 AM

It's really annoying that now you have to buy a product based on the specs we have when it comes out, AND with expectations for FUTURE updates ... considering these (un?)famous eventually future updates are not described ...

I know, we are early adopters and all ... but they could consider us all a little more by sharing information, after all it's our money we are spending for their products.

So based on the specs, the Elite BD Player is a Sony BD player with a RJ45 plug and media gallery thingy ... wow, i'm impressed ... for 50% more $$$ than the Sony.

Where is the big deal ? At least we could expect more audio features, even by updates, but so far nothing expected ... I guess we'll need to wait till it comes out.
post #157 of 175 Old 12-11-2006, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner7
On the dual releases yes, go to hidefdigest.com and look at the last number of double releases, it has been dead draw. If you own a 1080p monitor and get the pioneer or the sony you will get pure 1080p/24 and it could make a difference according to the early reveiws. Make no mistake out of the gate hd-dvd kicked br ass, and it has a LOT of great discs out there , in fact I own player and some discs. But looking at br now, with the new players and softwhere it seems that BR looks better than hd-dvd, puncher or something. Look I have no complaints they are BOTH great, its just that will all the new BR releases hd-dvd has seen better days and the Blue Ray is shining. :cool:
I think the Blur Ray has blinded you. Clearly you are in need of vision correction.
post #158 of 175 Old 12-11-2006, 01:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

I don't want this to be a blu versus HD DVD thread but anyone who has both formats will agree on which one has the overall better pic Q at this point...

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

post #159 of 175 Old 12-11-2006, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDO+WESTY=1080p
so are you saying that the PROFHD1 can be upgraded to HDMI 1.3 with the addition of the BDP-HD1 and that has HDMI 1.3 as well???

If confirmed thats freakin awesome!!
The " Dynamic DUO of hometheater" WOW :D
post #160 of 175 Old 12-11-2006, 06:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
I don't want this to be a blu versus HD DVD thread but anyone who has both formats will agree on which one has the overall better pic Q at this point...
Joe, the problem with this statement is that it implies that one of the formats is giving better PQ than the other, and I don't really think that is true. I think it has much more to do with the studios and the way that they are handling the movies, not to mention the way the movie was shot itself.

Ive compared several Blu-ray and HD-DVD movies head to head (the same title on both formats) and there is virtually no difference. And this includes ones that were MPEG-2 on BD vs VC-1 on HD-DVD! :eek:

So even though there may be more of the better looking titles on HD-DVD at this point, I think it has more to do with the source elements of the movie and the way it was shot than it does the format itself.
post #161 of 175 Old 12-11-2006, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

If you take a look at the titles on HD DVD, a lot of them are Sci-fiish or have a very glossy look to them. They were chosen for a reason - they look good in HD. Whereas, a lot of the films on Blu-ray have a 'filmlike' look to them because that's how they were. Kingdom of Heaven and Blackhawk Down isn't going to look like Tokyo Drift because they are 2 completely different styles of film and how they were shot.

Glitzy films like LXG (which looks as good as any HD DVD title) is rare on Blu-ray.

On top of that, Both Warner and Universal are much better encoders than Sony, Buena, Lionsgate.

No animals were harmed in the creation of this sentence.
post #162 of 175 Old 12-11-2006, 07:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^ Exactly! :)
post #163 of 175 Old 12-11-2006, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited
If you take a look at the titles on HD DVD, a lot of them are Sci-fiish or have a very glossy look to them. They were chosen for a reason - they look good in HD. Whereas, a lot of the films on Blu-ray have a 'filmlike' look to them because that's how they were. Kingdom of Heaven and Blackhawk Down isn't going to look like Tokyo Drift because they are 2 completely different styles of film and how they were shot.

Glitzy films like LXG (which looks as good as any HD DVD title) is rare on Blu-ray.

On top of that, Both Warner and Universal are much better encoders than Sony, Buena, Lionsgate.
Huh?

So The Fifth Element, Stargate, Species, Total Recall, Speed, House of Flying Daggers, X-Men: The Last Stand, Terminator I and II aren't "sci-fish" or "glitzy"?]

And Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Out of Sight, Animal House, Field of Dreams, Miami Vice, Accepted and The Break-Up are?

:rolleyes:

XA1 + PS3 = HD bliss
post #164 of 175 Old 12-11-2006, 08:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Well Rob then you agree that so far the better looking titles are on HD DVD? I am not stating content I am stating titles. HD DVD has the upper hand at this point still but I do think Blu ray is quickly closing the gap. Even if it pulls even that is still not a good feat considering people are buying the A2 for under 500.00! How much is the new Pioneer going to go for? And how much is the Sony going for? Blu ray should have been ahead in terms of pic Q since day one!

post #165 of 175 Old 12-11-2006, 08:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Well Rob then you agree that so far the better looking titles are on HD DVD? I am not stating content I am stating titles. HD DVD has the upper hand at this point still but I do think Blu ray is quickly closing the gap. Even if it pulls even that is still not a good feat considering people are buying the A2 for under 500.00! How much is the new Pioneer going to go for? And how much is the Sony going for? Blu ray should have been ahead in terms of pic Q since day one!
I haven't seen enough titles on BD yet to say for sure that HD DVD has more of the better looking titles, but I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case.

All I am saying is that if any studio released on both formats, they would pretty much look the same. In other words, there is nothing inherent in the format itself that would make either look noticeably better than the other.

Sony did a crappy job with The Fifth Element. That's Sony's fault. But it didn't have anything to do with Blu-ray as a format. Or MPEG-2 for that matter.
post #166 of 175 Old 12-11-2006, 08:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

I agree with that. And that is pretty much what I was saying. The dual releases look very similar but I do notice doing less tweaking with my crystalio II with HD DVDs (on just a few of the titles) then I need to with the Blu ray. But overall I would say HD DVD has had more impressive releases thus far... But there is no reason Blu ray can't catch up quickly...

post #167 of 175 Old 12-11-2006, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty James
Huh?

So The Fifth Element, Stargate, Species, Total Recall, Speed, House of Flying Daggers, X-Men: The Last Stand, Terminator I and II aren't "sci-fish" or "glitzy"?]

And Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Out of Sight, Animal House, Field of Dreams, Miami Vice, Accepted and The Break-Up are?

:rolleyes:
All the Blu-ray titles except for Xmen and Speed were early releases and we know what bad encoding job was done there.

Speed looks really good. So does X-men. Although X-men is a sci fi film, it doesn't look like one. It doesn't have the polished look of the 2nd film. Reds are darker, very strong blacks as well.

You just brought up the perfect movie. Miami Vice. It doesn't look fantastic because there's not much more you can do about it. This says nothing about HD DVD or Blu-ray. It's about the type of film and the quality of the encoding.

No animals were harmed in the creation of this sentence.
post #168 of 175 Old 12-11-2006, 08:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Amen to that. Some movies just shouldn't be in HD! :D ;)

post #169 of 175 Old 12-12-2006, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by learning101
I just called Pioneer to see if I could find out when the BDP-HD1 will be released. He said it has shipped to stores, and will be available shortly. He also said that the player will have HDMI 1.3! (Note, he said the PRO-FHD1 has HDMI 1.2, but there will be a firmware upgrade next year [which would be installed through the rs-232 port]).

If this is a repost, my apologies. This is my first post (so mercy please LOL). I did a search to see if this had been posted before (+BDP-HD1 +HDMI +1.3) and got 103 thread results.

I figured if I read all of the thousands of posts to see if it had been posted, by the time I finished it would definitely be a repost LOL.

Also thank you to everyone who contributes - you help has been awesome!
More (and very interesting!) information at

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...30#post9148130
post #170 of 175 Old 12-15-2006, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited

So why does The Fifth Element look so grainy on BD??
On SD-DVD TFE was one of the premier reference DVD's. ;)
So, if YOU think Warner and Universal do a better job at encoding does that give the advantage to HD-DVD, thus eliminating one of the "Big Advantages" BD supporters like to bring up that it has over HD-DVD??

Craig

Domino's donÂt fall all at once, they fall one at a time...
post #171 of 175 Old 12-15-2006, 10:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

One would have thought it would be a reference for Blu ray. I agree...

post #172 of 175 Old 12-23-2006, 09:59 PM

pioneer email

Bringing A New Dimension to High Definition

The Pioneer Elite® BDP-HD1 Blu-ray Disc® player is now arriving at specialty stores and is bringing the ultimate high definition experience and two Disney Blu-ray Disc blockbuster titles with it. The new BDP-HD1 Blu-ray Disc player delivers a new cinematic picture quality for Blu-ray Disc movies like Invincible and Eight Below, as well as your existing collection of DVDs. What's more, the BDP-HD1 does what no other Blu-ray Disc player can with home networking capabilities for complete access and control of movies, music and photos on your networked PC.

The Pioneer Elite Blu-ray Disc Player: Epitome of High Definition Lifestyle

The BDP-HD1 allows you to take full advantage of the technology's enhanced picture and audio benefits. One of the most exciting features of Blu-ray Disc is the sophisticated interactivity it provides. You can access film commentary and jump to new scenes without ever having to stop the scene you're watching. Did we mention the menus are also delivered in HD quality? The player offers a visually rich HD graphic user interface (GUI) for easy, user-friendly navigation. It's designed for simple setup, and includes HDMI® connectivity for a single wire solution with other HDMI-connected home theater components as well as high speed processing of HD video and audio content. The future of high definition has arrived.

A single dual layer Blu-ray Disc gives an amazing 50GB of storage capacity-the storage equivalent of five DVDs. So with all that, you're going to need a player strong enough to keep up. And the BDP-HD1 does just that, outputting a full 1920x1080 HD picture and multi-channel audio performance so you don't miss a thing. Match the player to a Pioneer Elite PRO-FHD1 50" 1080p plasma and top-of-the-line Pioneer Elite VSX-82TXS or VSX-84TXSi A/V receiver, and you'll experience an entirely new dimension in high definition.

In addition to delivering all the unbelievable benefits of Blu-ray Disc, the BDP-HD1 offers Pioneer's exclusive Home Media Gallery function that lets you enjoy music, movies and photos from an existing home network directly on a connected HDTV rather than a small computer screen. The BDP-HD1 provides easy access to protected content stored on a DLNA compliant server or PC using Windows® XP and Windows Media® Connect. So if you've just been reeled into the addicting world of online videos, you can purchase new web content on your home office computer but watch it on your family room television by connecting the player to your network.

Whether it's personal home videos or photos, a favorite DVD or your new Invincible Blu-ray Disc, all of it will look stunning in high definition from the comfort of your living room with our BDP-HD1. The player is currently available with a suggested price of $1499.
post #173 of 175 Old 12-24-2006, 05:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Atleast they are acknowledging they are shipping now! :)

post #174 of 175 Old 12-24-2006, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

I have the pansonic blu-ray player and so far so good. My question? Will we see an improvment with the pioneer or if we do will it be that real noticeable. I know its not out but thought I would put it out there for discussion. I would also like to know what player would work better with my setup.

Thanks

Samsung HLS 1080P 61" DLP
Pioneer Elite 74txi
Panasonic blu-ray
Xbox 360 HD DVD
D*H20
post #175 of 175 Old 12-24-2006, 05:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

I doubt there will be much of a noticable difference. I am trying the Pioneer because I like a few of the features (especially 480i over HDMI)...

Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page