Panasonic DMP-BD10, 10A Setup/Tweaks/Settings Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 4040 Old 12-07-2006, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
A couple of other questions: Does anyone else notice that running the PINK NOISE from the Panny to set speaker levels is inconsistent when using an SPL meter? I cycled my Panny through to make adjustments but it is inconsistent each and every time. What is the best way to adjust speaker level in the Panny?

Does anyone have written down all the best adjustments for set up in the Panny set up menu that could be put in this thread?

I turned off my HDMI video to off but the HDMI audio is shaded and it states it is on and I can not get to this menu option. Anyone know how to turn HDMI Audio to off or does turning HDMI Video to off just turns all HDMI options to off?

Also, when you set the digital sound options to bitstream, does this mean when you playback SD and BD in Dolby Digital through the Panny that you only get 2 channel and it matrixes to the other 5 channels. Just curious.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 4040 Old 12-07-2006, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
No, when you send out the signal set to bitstream, you're sending it out to a receiver that has Dolby Digital/DTS decoders in it to do the work. The receiver will output the full surround.
post #93 of 4040 Old 12-07-2006, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

dpags, so if I set it to bitstream then my McIntosh pre/pro will decode the sound via compressed audio even if I have the external input on the Mac selected and not DD or DTS. So what settings should the Panny be set on? Bitstream or PCM?
post #94 of 4040 Old 12-07-2006, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Golfer, I gave you the the best basic settings to use in your situation. If you try any of the other stuff it gets VERY complicated. Start off with my suggestions and we can take it from there.
post #95 of 4040 Old 12-07-2006, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus1099 View Post

Golfer, I gave you the the best basic settings to use in your situation. If you try any of the other stuff it gets VERY complicated. Start off with my suggestions and we can take it from there.

I will give them a try. How do I set the HDMI Audio to off. On my screen it is shaded and will not allow me to go to this setting. I have HDMI Video set to off but I can not get to the HDMI Audio function.

I also do not understand and would appreciate it if you explained it to me why I would set my B&W 803's to small as well as my other speakers to small.

Thanks for your time and input. I appreciate it.
post #96 of 4040 Old 12-07-2006, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTGOLFER View Post

I will give them a try. How do I set the HDMI Audio to off. On my screen it is shaded and will not allow me to go to this setting. I have HDMI Video set to off but I can not get to the HDMI Audio function.

I also do not understand and would appreciate it if you explained it to me why I would set my B&W 803's to small as well as my other speakers to small.

Thanks for your time and input. I appreciate it.

-If its shaded out dont worry about it.
-Setting small or large only refers to bass management. When set to large, the full signal is sent to the speaker. When set to small, the lower bass is cut off and sent to your sub. Unless speakers can go down to 20hz(which 99% cant) you should always set to small. I just checked your B&W's and they go down to 35hz. Thats close enough if you want to try large. But there are still many other benefits of setting to small. First is, like I said, if a full range is sent to your speaker and it does not go down the entire range than the lower frequencies will be lost. Second, the receiver can easily drive your speakers when it doesnt have to power the lower frequencies, the sub than takes that responsibility. Third, the sub usually handles bass better than a stand alone speaker can. Forth, while playing a 2 channel CD, your subs will work. Fifth, and most important, is a speaker is stuck in one place based on where your display is.... a sub isnt. This means you can move a sub around and get the best possible bass response.

Read these excellent articles for more info: http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/setup/index.php
post #97 of 4040 Old 12-07-2006, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

shamus, nice explanation. I will try setting my speakers to small and see how it sounds. I will also disconnect the Digital Coaxial and see how the sound comes out.

I am actually getting into the workings of audio/video more and more vs. having my installer do everything. The more knowledge I keep picking up here the better. I probably know enough now to be dangerous.

I do know that being format neutral is going to be good. I get the best of both worlds. I was a little concerned about taking my Denon 2910 out of the equation but after watching SD DVD's with the Panasonic I don't have this worry anymore. It is at least as good and possibly better PQ wise than the Denon.

Should I update my Panny to 1.2? At this time I have firmware 1.0.
post #98 of 4040 Old 12-07-2006, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

shamus,
Do you set the speakers to small in both the Panasonic and your receiver? Would you consider setting them to large in the player and letting it send everything to the receiver where you then set them to small?
post #99 of 4040 Old 12-07-2006, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Should I update my Panny to 1.2? At this time I have firmware 1.0.

YES!!! You wont be able to play some movies without it!!!
post #100 of 4040 Old 12-07-2006, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post

shamus,
Do you set the speakers to small in both the Panasonic and your receiver? Would you consider setting them to large in the player and letting it send everything to the receiver where you then set them to small?

This is where it gets difficult!!! If your receiver has the capability of setting it up that way while using the analogs, that would be ideal because they tend to have more settings. However most just simply do a pass through.... To test this set all speakers to large and delays on 0 on the player. Now play a movie with good deep bass. On the receiver switch back and forth between large and small. If you can hear the bass switching from the speakers to the sub then your receiver is applying bass management.(this can be difficult to tell sometimes and is easier to tell when you disconnect all the speakers except the sub. You will then get little in the sub or alot... always turn off the receiver when removing plugs and dont let them touch each other). If it turns out your receiver can do bass management then leave all the speakers set to large and delays set to 0 on the player (as you stated, this will send the full range untouched), and then set the receivers bass management accordingly(speakers to small, crossover if available...etc.)
post #101 of 4040 Old 12-07-2006, 12:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
What shamus said.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #102 of 4040 Old 12-08-2006, 03:29 AM
Advanced Member

I checked my update on my Panasonic last evening and it stated I had firmware 1.0 so I down loaded the new firm ware which is 1.2 and the message I got was this:

[Note]:
If the firmware version currently installed in the Panasonic BD player is the same or more recent than the firmware version on the update disc, "UNSUP/PORT" will be displayed for approximately 5 seconds on the front display of the Panasonic BD player. In this case, an update is unnecessary -please remove the disc.

Display on the Panasonic BD player:

UNSUPP PORT

I believe I read that this means that I have the latest software but my display states I have 1.0. Thanks
post #103 of 4040 Old 12-08-2006, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Any reason why my player states I have 1.0 and will not allow me to run 1.2 on the Panny but the Panny states UNSUPP PORT which if I am not mistaken from the web site for the update which means the current update is on my system.
post #104 of 4040 Old 12-08-2006, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Any reason why my player states I have 1.0 and will not allow me to run 1.2 on the Panny but the Panny states UNSUPP PORT which if I am not mistaken from the web site for the update which means the current update is on my system.

Try to burn another CD with the firmware. It may also have problems reading your disc.
post #105 of 4040 Old 12-08-2006, 03:53 PM

Quote:

Make sure you burn the CD at the SLOWEST possible speed.
post #106 of 4040 Old 12-08-2006, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin c View Post

Try to burn another CD with the firmware. It may also have problems reading your disc.

Thank you, I just burned another disc and everything worked as planned. The first disc I burned was off a Mac and it did not work and so I burned a disc off my PC Laptop at home and it is working fine.

Thanks again. I am definately loving this HD stuff. It is pretty amazing. I have both an HD player and now a BD player so I guess I am neutral on that front. At this time I don't care who wins as long as they keep coming out with Hi def disc, I don't care except the AQ of the Panasonic with uncompressed audio rocks. HD DVD definately has some catching up to do to equal the sound of the Panny.
post #107 of 4040 Old 12-09-2006, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member

I did a search but was unable to locate the official Panasonic Blu Ray site. I know that I get two additional BD disc. It ask for a certain code, does anyone know what this is. It seems pretty easy to sign up for the free disc except for this one part.

Thanks for any help.
post #108 of 4040 Old 12-09-2006, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Here it is.

http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_el...ay/default.asp

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS
post #109 of 4040 Old 12-09-2006, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did a search but was unable to locate the official Panasonic Blu Ray site. I know that I get two additional BD disc. It ask for a certain code, does anyone know what this is. It seems pretty easy to sign up for the free disc except for this one part.

Thanks for any help.

You have to buy the player and it comes with a card with an individual code. You can't use a generic code to get free discs.
post #110 of 4040 Old 12-09-2006, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
correct me if im wrong but this is a hi definition video player isnt it? how come no one has commented on the picture quality?
post #111 of 4040 Old 12-09-2006, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funlvr1965 View Post

correct me if im wrong but this is a hi definition video player isnt it? how come no one has commented on the picture quality?

The picture quality is excellent. The panny DMP-BD10 is a high definition Blu-ray player.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post8595477

Dive deep, play with sharks.

So long and thanks for all the fish . . .
post #112 of 4040 Old 12-10-2006, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone tried using a Hamony 880 remote with this unit yet?

post #113 of 4040 Old 12-10-2006, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

I am using Harmony 890 with it. After entering the Model Number the BD10 was identified as a dvd recorder which made it want to select an "input" on the unit for "watch Blu-ray" activity.

I ended up setting it up as a DVD player manually and learning additional commands to round out the features. The Harmony database may have been updated to better reflect its capabilities by now.

"I am aware that this Thread is rather old but I still want to make a reply."
post #114 of 4040 Old 12-10-2006, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I have an 880 and had to go through the same steps as cueCrew above. Maybe the Harmony database has updated by now to include this player, but I already have everything I need programmed in there, so I'm good.
post #115 of 4040 Old 12-10-2006, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I was also looking at the Pioneer Blu-ray, but just read that it will not plays CD's either. This is why I am not looking at the Sony.

Just want to make sure that the Panasonic will play CD's.

Yes or No??

post #116 of 4040 Old 12-10-2006, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

The DMP-BD10 plays essentially everything except SACDs and HD-DVDs. It's audio DACs are awesome.

Government Warning: The Attorney General has determined that Federal Regulation may be hazardous to your health
post #117 of 4040 Old 12-10-2006, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Do these come with the Panny?

post #118 of 4040 Old 12-10-2006, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

You have to supply the analog cables.

How 'bout them Cowboys ! !

Dive deep, play with sharks.

So long and thanks for all the fish . . .
post #119 of 4040 Old 12-10-2006, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by divedude View Post

You have to supply the analog cables.

How 'bout them Cowboys ! !

NO COWGIRLS

GO SAINTS

post #120 of 4040 Old 12-11-2006, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post

You have to buy the player and it comes with a card with an individual code. You can't use a generic code to get free discs.

I looked through the box but I don't see a card. What does it look like?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic Dmp Bd10 Blu Ray Disc Player Upscaling

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page