Panasonic DMP-BD10, 10A Setup/Tweaks/Settings Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 4040 Old 12-28-2006, 11:04 PM
Newbie
 
michaelffm75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

at first - sorry for my bad english - i hope i can explain my problem with
the Panasonic BD Player...

My combination is BD->Yamaha 2600->HC3100

When i set up the Panasonic to 720p and turn it off
then next day - the settings will be at "automatic"

Pani will not remember these settings - why?
can anyone test this with another Panasonic?


thanks and greetings from germany

Michael
michaelffm75 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 4040 Old 12-29-2006, 09:21 AM
Senior Member
 
ThomasW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I have read and searched this thread and some of the reviews of this player, and come to the following conclusions about some matters:

1. The included remote leaves a lot to be desired, but can be substituted for a backlit and more handy remote like the Harmony 880 for example.
2. The component output will give 1080p, but NOT when upconverting a SD DVD.
3. The built in fan does not have a disturbing or intruding noise level.
True?

Thomas
ThomasW is offline  
post #183 of 4040 Old 12-29-2006, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bferr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Somewhere in the back of my mind
Posts: 3,388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasW View Post

Hi all,

I have read and searched this thread and some of the reviews of this player, and come to the following conclusions about some matters:

1. The included remote leaves a lot to be desired, but can be substituted for a backlit and more handy remote like the Harmony 880 for example.
2. The component output will give 1080p, but NOT when upconverting a SD DVD.
3. The built in fan does not have a disturbing or intruding noise level.
True?

Thomas

1. True on both counts. I have an 880 and it works perfectly with the Panny. I had to program it myself, though, as the Panny model number somehow corresponds to a DVD recorder profile in Logitech's database.
2. Not sure about component 1080p output, but SD DVD limitation is correct.
3. True.
bferr1 is offline  
post #184 of 4040 Old 12-29-2006, 09:29 AM
Senior Member
 
ThomasW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks bferr1,

I still have to make my mind up about what format to choose, but if BD the Panny will be the player of choise.

Thomas
ThomasW is offline  
post #185 of 4040 Old 12-29-2006, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bferr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Somewhere in the back of my mind
Posts: 3,388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasW View Post

Thanks bferr1,

I still have to make my mind up about what format to choose, but if BD the Panny will be the player of choise.

Thomas

You bet. If you have any questions, just shoot. An informed choice is the best choice you can make.
bferr1 is offline  
post #186 of 4040 Old 12-29-2006, 09:39 AM
Senior Member
 
ThomasW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Available movie titles in the future will be important to me, currently BD seems to have an advantage there with larger studio support.

I am curious to what a distributor like Criterion Collection will choose for their HD format, that will be an important factor for me.

Thomas
ThomasW is offline  
post #187 of 4040 Old 12-29-2006, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
m1fuller68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: MD
Posts: 682
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the panny blu-ray player. To the other owners, when you put in a movie do you get a loud accessing sound before the movie starts. I had the toshiba HD DVD and don't remember a sound like this. It almost sounds like a computer harddrive accessing data. Any thoughts?
m1fuller68 is offline  
post #188 of 4040 Old 12-29-2006, 01:55 PM
Member
 
avbiae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, i am from Spain, and yesterday bought a DMP-BD10. I have connected to a TV with DVI-HDMI Cable. And I cant change the resolution in HDMI menu, it was selected always in Auto. I want to compare the image from 720p to 1080i.

Also, in the movie Fantastic 4 (the only one that i have), the image goes slow sometimes.

What can I do, is it normal all this?
avbiae is offline  
post #189 of 4040 Old 12-29-2006, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jacksonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Summerfield, NC
Posts: 4,595
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fuller68 View Post

I have the panny blu-ray player. To the other owners, when you put in a movie do you get a loud accessing sound before the movie starts. I had the toshiba HD DVD and don't remember a sound like this. It almost sounds like a computer harddrive accessing data. Any thoughts?

Yes, it does make an access noise on initial read, but I never hear it after that. I have the Toshiba A2 and although it makes a little access noise, not as loud as the Panny. It's normal.
jacksonian is offline  
post #190 of 4040 Old 12-29-2006, 09:14 PM
Senior Member
 
CraigN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am hoping that Panasonic will release a firmware update to enable its otherwise excellent Ist generation Blu Ray player to output 1080p-24 directly.

This is in order to eliminate the 3:2 pulldown steps inherent in a 60Hz signal. The first Blu-ray and HD DVD players output 60Hz signals. The very latest (Pioneer and Sony) also have "source direct outputs at 1080p-24Hz).

Are there others keen for this?

How could we best inform Panasonic that we want this feature?
CraigN is offline  
post #191 of 4040 Old 12-30-2006, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
m1fuller68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: MD
Posts: 682
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post

Yes, it does make an access noise on initial read, but I never hear it after that. I have the Toshiba A2 and although it makes a little access noise, not as loud as the Panny. It's normal.


Thought so...Thanks
m1fuller68 is offline  
post #192 of 4040 Old 12-30-2006, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
GoldenBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 1,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchot View Post

I also haven't had all the audio problems using analog inputs mentioned in the article except the subwoofer level is too low and needs to be boosted.

I agree. The LFE is a bit anemic on the Panny out of the analogue outs.

Quote:
Also this:
I have no problem bring up the test patterns on the Sony discs I've tried.

Neither do I, but I don't use the Panny remote, I use a Sony RM-AX4000. I can't recall if I ever tried using the supplied remote to bring up the test patterns.

I also have some suggestions for features I'd like them to add in the next FW update: I'd like to be able to see the current video bitrate and codec, and also the audio codec/bitrate.

Brandon A. DuHamel
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
Blu-rayDefinition.com
 

GoldenBoy is offline  
post #193 of 4040 Old 12-30-2006, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bferr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Somewhere in the back of my mind
Posts: 3,388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoy View Post

I agree. The LFE is a bit anemic on the Panny out of the analogue outs.

Some receivers can compensate for this by boosting the analog SW signal by 10dB. My Pioneer receiver can do it, and the analog audio sound unbelievable!
bferr1 is offline  
post #194 of 4040 Old 12-31-2006, 09:26 AM
Senior Member
 
ndjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigN View Post

I am hoping that Panasonic will release a firmware update to enable its otherwise excellent Ist generation Blu Ray player to output 1080p-24 directly.

This is in order to eliminate the 3:2 pulldown steps inherent in a 60Hz signal. The first Blu-ray and HD DVD players output 60Hz signals. The very latest (Pioneer and Sony) also have "source direct outputs at 1080p-24Hz).

Are there others keen for this?

How could we best inform Panasonic that we want this feature?

I hope that to, but do anyone know if it`s even technical possible to do it? or is there some hardware limitation???
ndjr is offline  
post #195 of 4040 Old 12-31-2006, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
GoldenBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 1,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bferr1 View Post

Some receivers can compensate for this by boosting the analog SW signal by 10dB. My Pioneer receiver can do it, and the analog audio sound unbelievable!

I have the 10db boost turned on in my receiver, and the Panasonic is still thin, that's the problem. I'm not really complaining, mind you, I think the Panasonic sounds great, it's just that its LFE sounds a little weak in comparison to all my other components when using the analogue outs or when going through the digital outs and letting my A/V receiver decode. Unfortunately, the DMP-BD10 offers no way to boost the sub's output in the multichannel setup, only to lower it.

Brandon A. DuHamel
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
Blu-rayDefinition.com
 

GoldenBoy is offline  
post #196 of 4040 Old 12-31-2006, 01:21 PM
Senior Member
 
CraigN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndjr View Post

I hope that to, but do anyone know if it`s even technical possible to do it? or is there some hardware limitation???


re: 1080p-24 output upgrade to Panasonic

I thought that I read somewhere that it should be technically possible. Any experts out there?
CraigN is offline  
post #197 of 4040 Old 12-31-2006, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
divedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Waxahachie, TX
Posts: 1,773
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone tell me if the fan on the player comes on when they turn the unit on or does it wait to come on after the unit heats up?

Dive deep, play with sharks.

So long and thanks for all the fish . . .
divedude is offline  
post #198 of 4040 Old 01-01-2007, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
steviec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: the great northwest
Posts: 1,525
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by divedude View Post

Can anyone tell me if the fan on the player comes on when they turn the unit on or does it wait to come on after the unit heats up?

the fan will only come on if the unit gets too warm.
steviec is offline  
post #199 of 4040 Old 01-01-2007, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Franchot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Signal Hill, CA, USA
Posts: 1,543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoy View Post

I have the 10db boost turned on in my receiver, and the Panasonic is still thin, that's the problem. I'm not really complaining, mind you, I think the Panasonic sounds great, it's just that its LFE sounds a little weak in comparison to all my other components when using the analogue outs or when going through the digital outs and letting my A/V receiver decode. Unfortunately, the DMP-BD10 offers no way to boost the sub's output in the multichannel setup, only to lower it.

Yes, that would be the perfect solution if the Panasonic Blu-ray player allowed you to boost the SW signal.

I have a later model Pioneer and I approached the problem by turning up the signal on my subwoofer which is the now my "default" setting. The Blu-ray discs using analog sound wonderful this way. Then, I went into the receiver's set-up menu and lowered the subwoofer signal for all my digital connections which I use for my music/HD DVD/DVD media.
Franchot is offline  
post #200 of 4040 Old 01-01-2007, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bferr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Somewhere in the back of my mind
Posts: 3,388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoy View Post

I have the 10db boost turned on in my receiver, and the Panasonic is still thin, that's the problem. I'm not really complaining, mind you, I think the Panasonic sounds great, it's just that its LFE sounds a little weak in comparison to all my other components when using the analogue outs or when going through the digital outs and letting my A/V receiver decode. Unfortunately, the DMP-BD10 offers no way to boost the sub's output in the multichannel setup, only to lower it.

My experience with the analogs happily has been very different. There's only one other thing I could suggest doing if you're not already doing it. Make sure that HDMI Audio Output is turned off under the HDMI tab in the Setup menu, as leaving it on negatively affects analog output.
bferr1 is offline  
post #201 of 4040 Old 01-01-2007, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
GoldenBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 1,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchot View Post

Yes, that would be the perfect solution if the Panasonic Blu-ray player allowed you to boost the SW signal.

I have a later model Pioneer and I approached the problem by turning up the signal on my subwoofer which is the now my "default" setting. The Blu-ray discs using analog sound wonderful this way. Then, I went into the receiver's set-up menu and lowered the subwoofer signal for all my digital connections which I use for my music/HD DVD/DVD media.

Unfortunately, not only is my Panasonic sharing the 7.1 analogue inputs on my receiver with my Denon DVD-2200 universal via a Zektor 5.1 multichannel switch (the two surround back channels from the Panny go directly to the receiver) but my receiver also has a set of 5.1 analogue inputs into which I have a Sony SCD-XA9000ES SACD/CD player connected. Boosting the sub solely for the Panasonic is not an option. I'm thinking what I may do is lower the other channels in the Panasonic by 3db, that way, on playback the LFE will be 3db louder than everything else, but I would just have to turn the A/V receiver up louder by 3db when using the Panasonic's analogue output.

Brandon A. DuHamel
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
Blu-rayDefinition.com
 

GoldenBoy is offline  
post #202 of 4040 Old 01-01-2007, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
GoldenBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 1,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bferr1 View Post

My experience with the analogs happily has been very different. There's only one other thing I could suggest doing if you're not already doing it. Make sure that HDMI Audio Output is turned off under the HDMI tab in the Setup menu, as leaving it on negatively affects analog output.


This is how I have it set.

Brandon A. DuHamel
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
Blu-rayDefinition.com
 

GoldenBoy is offline  
post #203 of 4040 Old 01-01-2007, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
GoldenBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 1,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've also noticed that when setting the speaker sizes in a 7.1 setup, the Panasonic will not allow me to set the surround and surround back speakers to different sizes. This is a problem for me, as I use two satellites for my surround back L/R speakers and need them to be set as 'small', but set everything else as large. Has anyone else noticed this?

Brandon A. DuHamel
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
Blu-rayDefinition.com
 

GoldenBoy is offline  
post #204 of 4040 Old 01-01-2007, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
divedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Waxahachie, TX
Posts: 1,773
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviec View Post

the fan will only come on if the unit gets too warm.


Thanks for the confirmation

Dive deep, play with sharks.

So long and thanks for all the fish . . .
divedude is offline  
post #205 of 4040 Old 01-01-2007, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bferr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Somewhere in the back of my mind
Posts: 3,388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoy View Post

This is how I have it set.

Hmm. Still trying to find ways to resolve your LFE problem, because I am having totally different results with the same player. You've probably done this already, but Dynamic Compression and BD Button Sound are off? These also impact audio negatively.

Beyond that, I'm out of ideas.
bferr1 is offline  
post #206 of 4040 Old 01-02-2007, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
GoldenBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 1,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bferr1 View Post

Hmm. Still trying to find ways to resolve your LFE problem, because I am having totally different results with the same player. You've probably done this already, but Dynamic Compression and BD Button Sound are off? These also impact audio negatively.

Beyond that, I'm out of ideas.

Yep, I've done all of that. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the Panasonic sounds bad, just that the LFE sounds a bit weak. I'm thinking the solution may be the last option I posted - to lower all the other channels thereby leaving the LFE a bit higher than everything else.

Now, the other problem I have, for which I see no solution, is the fact that it will not allow me to set the surround and surround back channels as different sizes. Now, this is one setting that really makes no sense to me whatsoever. I suppose I have no option but to set them both to 'small', as my surround back L/R are both micro- satellites and setting them as 'large' is not an option whatsoever.

Really, the BM an time alignment in the DMP-BD10 is some of the worst I've ever seen, IMO. There's no ability to set the delay/distance for the sub, no ability to boost the LFE; you can't set the surround and surround back speakers to different sizes - who thinks these things through?

On another note, does anyone know what the crossover is in the Panny when all speakers are set to large?

Brandon A. DuHamel
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
Blu-rayDefinition.com
 

GoldenBoy is offline  
post #207 of 4040 Old 01-02-2007, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bferr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Somewhere in the back of my mind
Posts: 3,388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoy View Post

On another note, does anyone know what the crossover is in the Panny when all speakers are set to large?

I think it's set at 100, with no ability to raise or lower it.
bferr1 is offline  
post #208 of 4040 Old 01-02-2007, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
GoldenBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 1,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bferr1 View Post

I think it's set at 100, with no ability to raise or lower it.


The crossover is 100 when all speakers are set to large? Isn't that sort of high? I thought it was around 160 or something when set to small, 100 when set to large seems odd.

Brandon A. DuHamel
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
Blu-rayDefinition.com
 

GoldenBoy is offline  
post #209 of 4040 Old 01-02-2007, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Wendell R. Breland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoy View Post

On another note, does anyone know what the crossover is in the Panny when all speakers are set to large?

If all speakers are set to large (as in full range) then there should no crossover.
Wendell R. Breland is online now  
post #210 of 4040 Old 01-02-2007, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
GoldenBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 1,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

If all speakers are set to large (as in full range) then there should no crossover.

Doh! That's true. Dumb question on my part.

Brandon A. DuHamel
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
Blu-rayDefinition.com
 

GoldenBoy is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic Dmp Bd10 Blu Ray Disc Player Upscaling

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off