Advertisement

post #92 of 166 Old 11-29-2006, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Hi,

Forgive me because I only read parts of this thread.(ok, now I've read it all.) However, I just wanted to point out that I don't think it's fair to consider lack of Blacker then Black and Whiter then White a defect in picture quality. If the entire range of reference black to reference white is available then the output is perfect. I know how having blacker then black makes it easier to set black level but having output that conforms precisely to specifications is not a defect in my view but rather achievement.

-Brian

eg- It's not a bug,.. it's a feature
post #93 of 166 Old 11-29-2006, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post

Hi,

Forgive me because I only read parts of this thread. However, I just wanted to point out that I don't think it's fair to consider lack of Blacker then Black and Whiter then White a defect in picture quality. If the entire range of reference black to reference white is available then the output is perfect. I know how having blacker then black makes it easier to set black level but having output that conforms precisely to specifications is not a defect in my view but rather achievement.

-Brian

Hmmm that's the first I've heard of that. Very interesting.

PSN ID: Ass
post #94 of 166 Old 11-29-2006, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notti View Post

How many 1080i Blu-ray discs are out there? I looked at 10 random BR titles and they were all 1080p. Do you find the 1080i content only on games?

what about "A view from space"?

Tyler Pruitt - Pro Calibrator - BionicAV
Technical Support - SpectraCal

THX Certified - Video Calibration

post #95 of 166 Old 11-29-2006, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Mapstone View Post

You can't assume that 1080P with good frame rate will be impossible, by judging launch games.

both the PS3 and 360 can't do 1920x1080 with full 60fps and AA and AF maxed out

its all about trade offs, more resolution with less AA and AF or less resolution with full AA and AF.

Tyler Pruitt - Pro Calibrator - BionicAV
Technical Support - SpectraCal

THX Certified - Video Calibration

post #96 of 166 Old 11-29-2006, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Guys c'mon, we've already done the gaming talk.

@WiFi, again it just depends on the game. I'm sure a Robotron remake could have 1080p, 60fps, max AA and max AF just fine. So let's try not to speak in absolutes here about anything when we can help it...

It is of course always about trade-offs though.
post #97 of 166 Old 11-29-2006, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalprime View Post

And?

They've touted its network connectivity also... With networking features basically non-existent, I don't hear you griping about that?

The console is capable of 1080p output. There will be a push to develop games accordingly. There's no reason to come to this thread with your panties bunched up because every ounce of output isn't correlated into a 1080p signal.

Calm down, Dude, and come back to earth... Give it six months. Things will get better for the Playstation 3.

networking features? I think they touted online play, which they definetly delivered, as PS3 games have better online game modes than xbox game, for free too...

Now streaming for PC, etc, I am sure that it could be added in one of the future updates, same as it was with xbox... I personally love larger HD and ease of upgrades for PS3, so i would actually move my stuff to PS3 and not keep my pc running all the time for no reason. I can easily put my hd into the external usb tray and plug it into the PS3, it will work great.

Panasonic 50PV70 Plasma - Sony Bravia KDF-E50A10 - Sony PS3 - Pioneer NS-DV990 - BSky HD -
post #98 of 166 Old 11-29-2006, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spwolf View Post

networking features? I think they touted online play, which they definetly delivered, as PS3 games have better online game modes than xbox game, for free too...

Now streaming for PC, etc, I am sure that it could be added in one of the future updates, same as it was with xbox... I personally love larger HD and ease of upgrades for PS3, so i would actually move my stuff to PS3 and not keep my pc running all the time for no reason. I can easily put my hd into the external usb tray and plug it into the PS3, it will work great.

I'm not a mod, but no more game talk in this thread please. You can PM somebody if you have something to say. In fact I hope sspears ask for this thread to get cleaned up, my post included.

PSN ID: Ass
post #99 of 166 Old 11-30-2006, 05:34 AM

Wow, talk about a thread hi-jacking.

Getting back to the topic, I'd like to revist this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man View Post

On that note, I think that many AVS forum members would really benefit from Stacey or Kris someday doing a ranking of their objective measurements into how they translate into the subjective real world viewing experience.

For instance, would one consider the existence of the Chroma Bug to be far more detrimental to the typical viewer's experience than say Dynamic range, or vice versa?, would you place Chroma Bug at 2 on a scale of importance in regards to 8 for minor pixel cropping..or would they seem of equal importance to most folk ?

People here have a good handle on how important noise, bootup time, etc. is to them but may not have the techo savy to decipher all the objective measurements.

So, comments like this are truly appreciated ..
I was planning on putting the PS3 in my mini theater and the BD-10 in the main theater. Given the results, I will swap them.

Not to mention the fact that it seems someone is living the good life up there in Sammamish.

This is one thing that would be valuable to me as well. Not just in this circumstance, but AV in general. If I need to pick the lesser of two evils due to budget or other limiting factors, it would be nice to know what the lesser evil actually is.
post #100 of 166 Old 11-30-2006, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspears View Post

I was planning on putting the PS3 in my mini theater and the BD-10 in the main theater. Given the results, I will swap them. The PS3 is faster in terms of disc access, etc... I also like the bluetooth control. My gear is in a back room and IR to that room sucks. I was able to use the remote (controller at the moment) in the theater while the PS3 was in the rack w/o any issues.

The PS3 is a lot louder than I was expecting. I don't own an Xbox 360, so I can't compare, but it is louder than everything else in my system, except the projector. I used to think my TiVo's were loud, now they are drowned out.

The chroma bug pretty much kills chroma resolution over 9 Mhz, or Nquist / 2. This translates into fine chroma detail. If you compare Corpse Bride on the PS3 to the Samsung or Toshiba, you will see a perceived increase in saturation on the PS3.

If you are watching B&W content, then the PS3 will look identical to the BD-10. It looks a bit sharper than the Samsung on MPEG2 and the same on AVC and VC-1.

The VP50 did have a slightly more difficult time performing IVT on the PS3 vs. the BD-10. I have seen this with SD DVD players too. For example, the VP50 performs better IVT from an SDI RP82 vs. an HDMI Oppo 970.

Stacy: I hope you can obtain and test the Sony player and add the results to the list. I would particularily like to know how the PQ rates for the claimed 480i output
over HDMI thru your VP. Thanks
post #101 of 166 Old 12-01-2006, 05:32 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Hi,

Forgive me because I only read parts of this thread.(ok, now I've read it all.) However, I just wanted to point out that I don't think it's fair to consider lack of Blacker then Black and Whiter then White a defect in picture quality. If the entire range of reference black to reference white is available then the output is perfect. I know how having blacker then black makes it easier to set black level but having output that conforms precisely to specifications is not a defect in my view but rather achievement.

-Brian

You should be Bush's press secretary.

"Clipping the video range: now a feature!"
post #102 of 166 Old 12-01-2006, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Clipping out part of the range that's outside of specification... that's a feature.

If video is 16 to 235 or whatever it is and the PS3 outputs 16 to 235 then it isn't clipping anything that's supposed to be there in the first place.

And if any useful information is mastered into that space it's a mistake and proper calibration of the monitor would hide it anyway.

Right? ...

-Brian
post #103 of 166 Old 12-01-2006, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:
Clipping out part of the range that's outside of specification... that's a feature.

BT.709 states luma is from 1-254. It lists ref black at 16 and ref white at 235, but the full range is 1-254.

Quote:
And if any useful information is mastered into that space it's a mistake and proper calibration of the monitor would hide it anyway.

For below 16, yes, for above 235, no. Values above 235 are meant to be seen.

Quote:
Stacy: I hope you can obtain and test the Sony player and add the results to the list.

Unable to test the Sony. It can't read BD-R/RE at this point. The insert in the box says this will come in a future update.
post #104 of 166 Old 12-02-2006, 12:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Unable to test the Sony. It can't read BD-R/RE at this point.

That's one way to prevent objective measurements.

Please be sure to re-test the PS3 after the next firmware update with YCrCb output.
post #105 of 166 Old 12-02-2006, 01:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Sspears,

Thanks for the info. I had no idea that whiter then white is supposed to be seen. Guess it's just brighter, whiter, white

-Brian
post #106 of 166 Old 12-02-2006, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichNY View Post

off to the side a little bit...
very illuminating thread ......so i'm not eager to use a game controller for blu-ray and know that remotes are coming out... comments
i've read some of the interface issues arent too well thought out, for instance how relatively complicated it is to play different types of audio files.
would be cool to have a soa game system for nada on top of the blu-ray (and hold off my son from bugging me for the wii)
how difficult it is for the megaco's to avoid heavy channel conflict as they build new very expensive product areas

Try loading wav, MP3 and jpeg files from a portable usb hd or from the card readers into your PS3. Check out the speed the thumb nails display or how instant a song plays when you select or skip to the next song. Then check how fast the PS3 skips to the next or previous picture when you use the L1 or R1. Then try holding onto L1 or R1 and see the pictures flash pass. Oh and L2 and R2 rotates the picture clockwise or counter clockwise. Fantastic piece of machine. Seems even faster then my 3Ghz PC..... :-p

Oliver
post #107 of 166 Old 12-02-2006, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspears View Post

BT.709 states luma is from 1-254. It lists ref black at 16 and ref white at 235, but the full range is 1-254.

For below 16, yes, for above 235, no. Values above 235 are meant to be seen.

Unable to test the Sony. It can't read BD-R/RE at this point. The insert in the box says this will come in a future update.

Stacy: Thanks for the timely response regarding the Sony tests. I am disappointed they can't be done now. I was hoping for that input before chosing between the Sony and the Pioneer.
post #108 of 166 Old 12-02-2006, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Well,

I've had a while to reflect on the notion that black below 16 should be clipped if not by the source component at least by the display device in order to set black to the reference level while conversely 235 (or so) is the reference white point but values above white are meant to be seen. And,.. It just doesn't make very good sense to me.

My copy of Digital Video Essentials suggests that the extra "headroom" below black was designed with the response of analog display devices in mind because of the nature of thier response. Having the extra space there allowed you to setup an analog device such that it would come out of pure black and begin to display just at 16 or so.

Surely none of that needed to be considered in the age of HDMI which for the most part isn't designed with analog display devices in mind (at least mostly not with analog display devices in mind.)

So,.. Reference black is 16 and white is 235 but there's extra white above and beyond that so what's the point of reference white being 235? It seems quite "Spinal Tap" as in "But these go to 11." What should the reference white point mean if it's somewhere other then the top of the scale?

And if the connection is purely digital why not use the entire range from 0 to 255?

I can't say that I'm settled in my thoughts about this. I would still suggest that if a source device displays everything from reference black to reference white it's not to be faulted just for conforming to specs.

I surely don't mind if the blacker then black and whiter then white issue is addressed and "fixed" via some update but it's still a bit confusing and hopefully it's just me who's confused.

-Brian
post #109 of 166 Old 12-02-2006, 12:46 PM

Brian: the issue is twofold. First you're misreading what the specs say. The specs as Stacey point out clearly allocate all values from 1-254 for video. There are nominal points within this range which are targets for black and for white. You must be careful to distinguish between nominal reference white and peak white. Excursions slightly beyond these reference points happen for many reasons, some including the fuzzy black and white points in CRT systems which are the reference. If you have a hard clip right at white and at black, you can run into some problems, which is why all the video specs have some toeroom and headroom that exceed these nominal black and white points even in a digital world. Black and white are in reality a little bit more elusive than we might want them to be.
post #110 of 166 Old 12-02-2006, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks,

B
post #111 of 166 Old 12-03-2006, 02:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 43
Quote:

Thanks for the info. I had no idea that whiter then white is supposed to be seen. Guess it's just brighter, whiter, white

I know Chris already covered it, but just wanted to add something. It is a little bit misleading when some of us use the term whiter-than-white (WTW) to describe encodings above 235. My understanding is that 235 shouldn't really be called, "White". It should be called, "Reference White" and video 254 should be called, "Peak White". Then it makes a lot more sense why things above 235 shouldn't just be clipped.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #112 of 166 Old 12-03-2006, 02:56 AM
tsb
AVS Special Member

does the brightness of a display have any influence on WTW? I'm still a little confused. Or is a color close but not quite true white considered reference white?
post #113 of 166 Old 12-03-2006, 06:03 AM

I know the BTB and WTW has been discussed on these forums before, ad nauseum. I don't seem to be able to find a link to any of those past threads. If anyone can find one of them, please post it here. Not only is it something that I'd like to re-read, but it seems like there are many others here that would be interested as well. It'll also help keep this on topic.

Note: I did attempt a search, but I don't know exactly what I'm looking for to narrow it down enough to find one of those definitive threads.
Thanks.
post #114 of 166 Old 12-03-2006, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammar Police View Post

I know the BTB and WTW has been discussed on these forums before, ad nauseum. I don't seem to be able to find a link to any of those past threads. If anyone can find one of them, please post it here. Not only is it something that I'd like to re-read, but it seems like there are many others here that would be interested as well. It'll also help keep this on topic.

Note: I did attempt a search, but I don't know exactly what I'm looking for to narrow it down enough to find one of those definitive threads.
Thanks.

Try the link in my signature.

There are also links in that thread to previous threads.
post #115 of 166 Old 12-03-2006, 12:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsb View Post

does the brightness of a display have any influence on WTW? I'm still a little confused. Or is a color close but not quite true white considered reference white?

The Reference White is just video level 235 (in 8 bit space), which should correspond to 100 IRE. A display could have color skew, but if it is calibrated correctly to D65 across the whole range, then 90 IRE should have the same color mix as 100 IRE. But one would be considered a gray. A brighter display just has a brighter output for 100 IRE than another, and some of its grays can be brighter than what Reference White results in with another display. Not sure if that helps.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #116 of 166 Old 12-03-2006, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles View Post

Try the link in my signature.

There are also links in that thread to previous threads.

That's the EXACT one I was looking for. I even remember my reaction the first time I read those posts by that tbrunet guy. What a great resource, thanks.
post #117 of 166 Old 12-03-2006, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammar Police View Post

That's the EXACT one I was looking for. I even remember my reaction the first time I read those posts by that tbrunet guy. What a great resource, thanks.

I sure hope you mean the thread is the resource and not tbrunet's "contributions"!
post #118 of 166 Old 12-03-2006, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post

A display could have color skew, but if it is calibrated correctly to D65 across the whole range, then 90 IRE should have the same color mix as 100 IRE.

I think tsb is using color is a loose sense ... like when people talk about black & white as colors.
post #119 of 166 Old 12-04-2006, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Very useful thread for those of us who want to use the PS3 for Blu-ray movie playback primarily. I scored a 20GB PS3 off eBay for less than $700, so prices are definiely getting more reasonable. My Sammy player is now on eBay.

Here's a mini-FAQ I made for myself w/info from a couple of sources. Does all this sound right?

Will it decode the advanced audio codecs?
It will decode everything except DTS-HD. DTS-HD decoding is expected with a firmware update early next year. You must have a HDMI 1.1+ receiver to experience the new formats, since the PS3 doesn't have the hardware to support 5.1/7.1 analog output.

How about the 720p/1080i issue?
The 720p problem does not affect BD movie playback. For now, only games in 720p can be output as 720p; not 1080i. The PS3 does support 1080i for BD playback just fine.

What about Blu-ray movie disc playback?
If you want to play a movie with the PS3 unit already on, you insert the disc and wait for something to happen, except nothing happens. The issue is that, if already turned on, the machine does not automatically start the movie disc. Instead, the newly inserted BD-ROM appears as an option above the Video menu index. You have to manually select the BD-ROM by scrolling up to that spot, and then select it by pressing the X button on the controller. The movie disc is still not identified by name, only as a BD-ROM.

Can regular DVDs be upconverted to 720p/1080i?
No, not at the moment.

Can multichannel SACDs be played?
Yes.

Will an external hard drive connected via the USB port be recognized?
Yes, if hard drive is pre-formatted as FAT32.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #120 of 166 Old 12-04-2006, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone tested the picture with component instead of HDMI/DVI to see if the black level is better that way?
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page