post #271 of 2891 Old 12-26-2006, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

Jim: The comment from the Sony rep sounds credable regarding the DL "improvement". From comment here, my S1 seems to be worse than most with it's freezing problem. It has frozen on 6 out of 11 DVDs and 1 of 6 BDs. All of the freezes have been at or after the midpoint of the movie. Pearl Harbor (50GB) was the only BD freeze and that was 1 minute after the midpoint.

Makes sense.

Are you exchanging your player or keeping it and waiting for firmware?

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2891 Old 12-26-2006, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Can you tell us, for example, how one goes about inferring the resolution from that particular Test Target? Finally you should tell us something about the TV and the means of connection in both case. We need to tighten the ship, as it were, in making conclusions which affect unsuspecting user impressions.

Hi John,

I used Sony DSC-P73 to take the photos.

About Tv, in my message I told that I used Sanyo PLV-Z3 with HDMI connection on both players, and same cable. The camera was in manual mode.

But, I´m not here to prove anything to you or to anybody...
My intent was just to show the differences that I saw in my test.

If you didn´t like, just ignore
post #273 of 2891 Old 12-26-2006, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by JlgLaw View Post

Makes sense.

Are you exchanging your player or keeping it and waiting for firmware?

Jim

I am taking it back to BB for refund after my Pioneer HD1 arrives. Hopefully that will be this week. Gave Magnolia the chance to price match Sound Advice's preorder $ and no one bothered to call me to discuss. I want the 480i over HDMI feature because I use an external video processor so it either Pioneer or Sony. Pioneer spent an extra 3-4 weeks doing QC of the firmware so the freezing problems may be fixed. The 4 or 5 people with the HD1 have had no problems.
post #274 of 2891 Old 12-26-2006, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilomms View Post

Hi John,

I used Sony DSC-P73 to take the photos.

About Tv, in my message I told that I used Sanyo PLV-Z3 with HDMI connection on both players, and same cable. The camera was in manual mode.

But, I´m not here to prove anything to you or to anybody...
My intent was just to show the differences that I saw in my test.

If you didn´t like, just ignore

You are attempting to cut a difference between two digital sources which are expected to differ only infinitesimally. If one set out to resolve such a difference it would require a very clever and exacting set up. Meanwhile you have viewed these sources on a 1280 by 720P Projector, which is by far the limiting resolver in your experiment(save any ability to reproduce a repeatable/high quality photo of what you've seen). You've also used a very modest camera with jpg output and further jpg compression for presentation here. It's one thing to just present such with no earth shaking conclusions but quite another thing to suggest that this result shows source A is superior to source B.
There is quite a bit of stuff like that here these days which generally go unchallenged.
post #275 of 2891 Old 12-26-2006, 05:52 PM

John,

In my tests I saw that Sony is better than Samsung (my brother is the owner of Samsung).

Maybe my photos can not show what I Saw, but I Saw. And I´m not a good photografer.

As I said, I only try to show to you what I Saw.

In january I will receive a Panasonic AE1000, LCD 1080P, compatible with 1080p24 (present in Sony). When I get the Panasonic, a true 1080P projector, I will try to make a better test between Sony and Samsung.
post #276 of 2891 Old 12-26-2006, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

I am taking it back to BB for refund after my Pioneer HD1 arrives. Hopefully that will be this week. Gave Magnolia the chance to price match Sound Advice's preorder $ and no one bothered to call me to discuss. I want the 480i over HDMI feature because I use an external video processor so it either Pioneer or Sony. Pioneer spent an extra 3-4 weeks doing QC of the firmware so the freezing problems may be fixed. The 4 or 5 people with the HD1 have had no problems.

I have the Pioneer as well. Like the others, I have had no problems with it. Subjective PQ is the same as the Sony and Panny. Frankly, for me it performs like the Sony.

Although I have not confirmed the details, another Pioneer owner here claims he had what he called a "lock-up", once, while using the player for the second time. I'll be speaking with him this evening. He is not a forum member.

Jim
post #277 of 2891 Old 12-26-2006, 07:19 PM

I just exchanged my second Sony for a third unit and picked up The Descent while I was at BB!

I'm not even gonna say anything. I just sat there and kinda laughed when it wouldn't load. Popped it in my Sammy and voila loaded up just fine.
post #278 of 2891 Old 12-26-2006, 10:05 PM

Been reading nothing but negative feedback about the BDP-S1 & am frankly concerned sinse I put down 20% on a pre-order. When I get it, I have decided that if it fails like the 3 Sammys I returned... bye, bye, Blu-Ray forever.

My expectations (cause of reading user feedback) of getting this player & it working to a satisfactory level has dropped dramatically.

I know the first time you turn the unit on, it is supposed to take a long time to boot-up. That I am expecting & have no problems with that, but if this unit is slower than my HD-A1 everytime I turn the unit on & has glitches like the Sammy players I had.. maybe BD just ain't the future medium. Geez, how long did Sony have to get this player ready? 4 or 5 delays They have had ample time to put out a freakin reference BD player...

Here's hopin'

My Blu-ray Collection

Time for Blu to go mainstream.
post #279 of 2891 Old 12-26-2006, 10:20 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gas_leak View Post

I just exchanged my second Sony for a third unit and picked up The Descent while I was at BB!

I'm not even gonna say anything. I just sat there and kinda laughed when it wouldn't load. Popped it in my Sammy and voila loaded up just fine.

If you haven't already, check out this thread about issues people are experiencing with the Descent BD. From this thread, it sounds like the Descent BD uses BD-J and the Sony player currently isn't compatible until they release the firmware update early next year.

I purchased my BDP-S1 from Vann's and haven't had a problem so far.
post #280 of 2891 Old 12-26-2006, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisztoforo View Post

BDP-S1 manual online!!!

http://www.iq.sony.com/srvs/DocsConn...=76785&DL=true

Thanks.

Blu-ray is the way!
post #281 of 2891 Old 12-27-2006, 04:28 AM

Quote:

Got both, IMO they are the same in PQ. Neither I, nor others that have viewed them both together could see any difference in PQ. Others may differ. The 7.1 out on the Panny is a plus for those needing it.

Jim

Thanks Jim.

I appreciate the comment. Makes me rather happy I chose the Sony now, also my Onkyo Surround Sound is 6-1 (so I don't need 7-1), and even 6-1 is pretty much a waste at this point in time, IMO, as the majority of media is still only available in 5-1 format. I think I've heard sound outta my middle rear speaker twice in that many years~LOL. So....I'm not too worried about anything above 5-1 presently!

Ty-K
post #282 of 2891 Old 12-27-2006, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krammer1 View Post

Been reading nothing but negative feedback about the BDP-S1 & am frankly concerned sinse I put down 20% on a pre-order. When I get it, I have decided that if it fails like the 3 Sammys I returned... bye, bye, Blu-Ray forever.

My expectations (cause of reading user feedback) of getting this player & it working to a satisfactory level has dropped dramatically.

I know the first time you turn the unit on, it is supposed to take a long time to boot-up. That I am expecting & have no problems with that, but if this unit is slower than my HD-A1 everytime I turn the unit on & has glitches like the Sammy players I had.. maybe BD just ain't the future medium. Geez, how long did Sony have to get this player ready? 4 or 5 delays They have had ample time to put out a freakin reference BD player...

Here's hopin'

Dude,

I sincerely hope your Sony BDP-S1 experience will echo my own! Very positive! I, too, was expecting a l-o-n-g first load process...but it really didn't seem long at all. It indicated it would take upwards of 90-seconds. If it did, that was a very fast 90-seconds (I didn't time it). And all subsequent loads have taken maybe 30-secs, maybe. Again, it doesn't seem all that long--and let's get one thing clear. I AM A VERY IMPATIENT MAN. Ask my wife. So, if I'm saying it doesn't take very long, I mean it. I'm the kinda guy who will switch lines at a store if I see another line moving faster. Yes. Impatient. Can't stand waiting for anything OR anybody! *~*

Cheers,
Ty-K
post #283 of 2891 Old 12-27-2006, 07:13 AM

The Sony, after all those delays, apparently still can't handle BD-J because it won't play The Descent. Nice huh?
post #284 of 2891 Old 12-27-2006, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krammer1 View Post

'

All you've read is negative on the BDP-S1? Hmm, obviously not reading much here.

Ready to walk away from Blu-Ray ?? As they say, don't let the door hit you in the as* on the way out. But don't walk too far, as Blu_ray will likely be your only option in high def DVD option in 18 months.

Thanks for stopping by the "USER REPORT" thread. As a HD fan boy that doesn't even own a player your input has been very useful. We don't get enough HD-DVD trolls posting here.
post #285 of 2891 Old 12-27-2006, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Don't you think it's a bit odd that you're on your third unit when others, like myself, haven't had a single problem with the 30 or so HD discs and DVDs we've played?
post #286 of 2891 Old 12-27-2006, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fettastic View Post

The Sony, after all those delays, apparently still can't handle BD-J because it won't play The Descent. Nice huh?

I can wait for the software upgrade. This is NO BIG DEAL to me.

Don't like the Sony (or probably the Pioneer w/ the same issues until they offer a software patch)? Then don't buy it.

Oh wait, you don't own it. You're just making pissy comments on the "USER REPORTS" thread. Got it. Thanks!!!
post #287 of 2891 Old 12-27-2006, 10:20 AM

Folks,

Do you think that Sony could release a new model in CES/2007?

I Went to CES in 2006, and since there I saw the BDP-S1 in exposition. We know that Sony would be launched in July, but it was shipped only now in december.

What do you think about this?

In my opinion, if Sony is going to release a new model in CES, they are going in the wrong direction...

Until now I love my BDP-S1 (I had no problems and the PQ is wonderful), but I will do not like if it will be discontinued now...
post #288 of 2891 Old 12-27-2006, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilomms View Post

Folks,

Do you think that Sony could release a new model in CES/2007?

I Went to CES in 2006, and since there I saw the BDP-S1 in exposition. We know that Sony would be launched in July, but it was shipped only now in december.

What do you think about this?

In my opinion, if Sony is going to release a new model in CES, they are going in the wrong direction...

Until now I love my BDP-S1 (I had no problems and the PQ is wonderful), but I will do not like if it will be discontinued now...

All players are discontinued. That is the nature of the electronics market. Virtually any player you buy from any of the larger manufacturers will be discontinued within a year. That doesn't mean that yours won't continue to provide enjoyment. Also, newer doesn't necessarily mean better. Newer products often provide the same, or sometimes worse performance than what they're replacing.
post #289 of 2891 Old 12-27-2006, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Have not seen the "Descent" jacket. Does it indicate BD-J format for the enhanced features? If the jacket reflects this then it should be no surprise that the disk will not function properly. As most here know, there is a note included in the BDP-S1 box that indicates BD-J support will be coming in an upgrade.

BTW, for those that had the Descent play in a Samsung, did all of the enhanced features work, or just basic features and the movie playback?

Jim
post #290 of 2891 Old 12-27-2006, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa8362 View Post

Don't you think it's a bit odd that you're on your third unit when others, like myself, haven't had a single problem with the 30 or so HD discs and DVDs we've played?

No I don't find it odd, because the first two keep freezing so I returned them. Now this one makes my third. See, that's not so odd.

I'm can't help the first two units locked up about half the time, but I won't post about anymore problems if it will make you feel better. I haven't watched anything on the third yet, so I can't comment on it. I just pray that it gives me no problems.
post #291 of 2891 Old 12-27-2006, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No I don't find it odd, because the first two keep freezing so I returned them. Now this one makes my third. See, that's not so odd.

I'm can't help the first two units locked up about half the time, but I won't post about anymore problems if it will make you feel better. I haven't watched anything on the third yet, so I can't comment on it. I just pray that it gives me no problems.

So, you don't think it's odd that you're on your third unit and most people haven't ever had a problem with their first (and only) unit?
post #292 of 2891 Old 12-27-2006, 10:43 AM

Quote:

All players are discontinued. That is the nature of the electronics market. Virtually any player you buy from any of the larger manufacturers will be discontinued within a year.

I know, but if Sony launched in december to discontinue in january, this sounds a little bit strange to me. Do not for you?

Quote:

Also, newer doesn't necessarily mean better. Newer products often provide the same, or sometimes worse performance than what they're replacing.

I saw this situation many times

Well, I hope that sony do not launch a new model in CES/2007

Maybe in june, july, etc, but not NOW
post #293 of 2891 Old 12-27-2006, 10:55 AM

Quote:

So, you don't think it's odd that you're on your third unit and most people haven't ever had a problem with their first (and only) unit?

I've seen quite a few post with freezing issues with the BDP-S1, in this very thread, and I'm not talking about just my post.
post #294 of 2891 Old 12-27-2006, 04:33 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Very odd.......numerous users have cited zero glitches as has been my experience over nearly one month with the Sony. Three freeze up players for one person sounds like fiction designed to paint negative image. In fact, some entire threads seem to be designed to create problems. It is good that there are some of us who own and support both formats who know fact from opinion and fiction.
post #295 of 2891 Old 12-27-2006, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Although I have not confirmed the details, another Pioneer owner here claims he had what he called a "lock-up", once, while using the player for the second time. I'll be speaking with him this evening. He is not a forum member.

I posted the above yesterday. To be fair, and clear, it turns out the "lock-up" of the Pioneer player referred to above was the player itself when it was first turned on, and not a lock-up/freeze during playback. It was resolved by pulling the plug and restarting. He indicated the player has been fine since then and has NOT had any movies freeze during playback.

Jim
post #296 of 2891 Old 12-27-2006, 05:34 PM

Counting myself I know of 3 people now using the sony and not one issue yet-and I support both formats-no bias but it seems that this anti Sony stuff is getting ridiculous-not even fun reading this thread anymore.
post #297 of 2891 Old 12-27-2006, 05:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnbois56 View Post

Counting myself I know of 3 people now using the sony and not one issue yet-and I support both formats-no bias but it seems that this anti Sony stuff is getting ridiculous-not even fun reading this thread anymore.

I also support both formats. I have had a Toshiba HD-A1 since April and a Sony BDP-S1 since 12/09/06. I have had several glitches with the HD-A1, virtually all of which were cured by cleaning the disk. Once I learned to make sure the disk was clean, I have had good results. I have had exactly one problem with the Sony on an SD DVD, where it skipped and then tried to replay a couple of times on one disk. It was a Netflix rental disk and turns out it had a huge fingerprint on it. I cleaned that, and everything was fine. So far, I am pleased with both units. I'm not saying that all problems are caused by dirty discs, but I do attribute at least some of the few issues I have had to just that. Might be worth a try for others having problems.

John
post #298 of 2891 Old 12-27-2006, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

That is good advice. I had my first freeze tonight while playing a Netflix rental of Ice Age: The Meltdown. The good news is that the picture quality was excellent. The bad news is that it froze twice towards the end of the movie. I will try cleaning future Netflix rentals before watching and see if that helps. The previous 2 Netflix rentals played without freezing.
post #299 of 2891 Old 12-27-2006, 06:26 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

I posted the above yesterday. To be fair, and clear, it turns out the "lock-up" of the Pioneer player referred to above was the player itself when it was first turned on, and not a lock-up/freeze during playback. It was resolved by pulling the plug and restarting. He indicated the player has been fine since then and has NOT had any movies freeze during playback.

Jim

I had what it appears to have been the exact same experience when I first turned on the Pioneer. I powered off by un-plug and no problems since. I attributed the problem to pressing the display dimmer button during load. No problems since at any time.
post #300 of 2891 Old 12-27-2006, 06:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaM View Post

That is good advice. I had my first freeze tonight while playing a Netflix rental of Ice Age: The Meltdown. The good news is that the picture quality was excellent. The bad news is that it froze twice towards the end of the movie. I will try cleaning future Netflix rentals before watching and see if that helps. The previous 2 Netflix rentals played without freezing.

Hope it works well for you. I purchased and watched Ice Age: The Meltdown with zero problems.

It seems like the new formats may be a little more prone to issues with dust, fingerprints, etc., kind of like early CD players. I know I have had a couple of problems with an HD-DVD where all I had to do was take the disc out, brush it lightly against my (soft material) shirt, pop it back in, and away we go.

Again, I'm definitely not touting this as a panacea, but it has apparently helped me at least a few times.

John
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page