post #361 of 2891 Old 01-02-2007, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post

This may be of interest to those who are using a connection similar to mine. I am using a HDMI-DVI cable to connect to the DVI input on my Sony KDF-70XBR950 HDTV. I've experienced some changes in black level that I first noticed when I played some Warner Brothers VC-1 encoded titles. I later found that the black level was off on everything I was playing. I finally figured it out.

According to the manual (pg 45) the correct setup for connecting to a device with a DVI input is in the video setup menu, item "YCbCr/RGBPC" should be set to RGB (16-256). I've found that sometimes despite still showing "RGB (16-256)" under item "YCbCr/RGBPC", that sometimes the unit will be set for "RGB (0-256)" which is the setup for an RGB device rather than a DVI input. This drops the reference black level several steps below video black (DVI level), and causes darker details of the picture to disappear below black level on a properly cailibrated display.

I recommend that those using this unit with a DVI input be observant for changes in picture quality, particularly a loss of near black picture detail. If this happens, stop the disc, go to the video setup menu, and reselect RGB (16-256) although it already appears to be selected. If you notice a slight increase in brightness or any disruption in the video as you make the selection the unit was not set to RGB (16-256). If there is no change at all when making the selection, RGB (16-256) was already set.

At present I have to occasionally "remind" the unit that I've previously selected RGB (16-256). The occurances of this resetting I've noticed seem to correlate with turning on the unit.

I had the same problem with it reverting to 0-255 from 16-235. Pioneer manual says 0-255 is the default. It seems to revert every time the unit is turned off. Finally concluded either leave the unit on or reset it every time it is turned on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2891 Old 01-02-2007, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

I had the same problem with it reverting to 0-255 from 16-235. Pioneer manual says 0-255 is the default. It seems to revert every time the unit is turned off. Finally concluded either leave the unit on or reset it every time it is turned on.

I'm hoping Sony will come up with a fix for this. It's irritating to have to fix it every time the unit is turned on.
post #363 of 2891 Old 01-02-2007, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I just bought a BDP-S1. I have to admit that I'm pretty disappointed so far. The build quality is ok, but much inferior to my Onkyo DV-SP1000 player.

Here are some things I didn't like right away (in no particular order):

1) There's often a long lag between the time a button on the remote or the unit itself is pressed, and the time the unit responds. I find it annoying, and I often try to press again, which may reverse the intended operation.

2) The power and eject buttons on the unit provide little tactile feedback, and this coupled with the lag problem is quite confusing - you simply don't know if you pressed the button or not.

3) The setup menus get buggy sometimes and some of the menu choices appear blank.

4) When a disc is ejected and re-inserted, the BDP-S1 doesn't resume play like the Onkyo does.

It feels like this product was rushed out.

I haven't done much viewing yet. The image quality with regular DVDs is very good. From the little I've seen so far, it seems pretty comparable to that of the DV-SP1000. I was very disappointed with the bundled Fifth Element disc. I compared it to the standard DVD of that movie, and the image quality provided by the Blu-ray disc is only marginally better. This is on my 50" 720p Panasonic plasma. I hope other Blu-ray disks are much better than their corresponding standard DVDs. If Fifth Element is an exception which is not much better than the standard disc, then they really shouldn't have chosen it for bundling with the unit. What were they thinking? Some people may return the unit just because of this bad first impression...

I'm not all that thrilled that I bought this machine at this point. I'll watch some more Blu-ray movies and see if my opinion changes. Right now it feels like I should have waited for a next-generation player without the kinks, and with the new stuff that's coming (BD-R/RE, HDMI 1.3, audio codecs, etc.)
post #364 of 2891 Old 01-02-2007, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I have attempted to contact Sony regarding the problem noted in my previous post. I first attempted email, and after typing out a full description of the problem found that the "send" link is completely inactive. So I tried online chat. After redescribing the problem in chat, and a considerable wait, I was informed that the representative was unable to diagnose my problem and that I needed to use telephone support. I attempted to ask if the issue could be added to their database, but the representative disconnected from chat after I asked the question, without answering.

I'm frustrated that Sony, as well as so many other companies, make it so difficult to report problems that may be beyond isolated incidents, and may represent a design or firmware problem with the unit.
post #365 of 2891 Old 01-03-2007, 12:00 AM

I'm just wondering if my unit got damaged in shipping or something. The power and eject buttons at the top left and right of my unit feel weird. When pressed, they go in only very little, and it's very hard to tell if they were pressed or not (bad tactile feedback). Is it like this on other people's units?
post #366 of 2891 Old 01-03-2007, 12:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by visualguy View Post

I'm just wondering if my unit got damaged in shipping or something. The power and eject buttons at the top left and right of my unit feel weird. When pressed, they go in only very little, and it's very hard to tell if they were pressed or not (bad tactile feedback). Is it like this on other people's units?

Although its not possible to tell what YOU are feeling on your player, I can confirm that those buttons do not move very much on my unit, but the work just fine.

Jim
post #367 of 2891 Old 01-03-2007, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

yes mine are like that too. but i'm used to it now. i've actually been very happy with my machine. I watched black hawk down last night, all i can say is WOW!. i also watched the fifth element a couple nights ago and other than some dust in the transfer thought it was very clear. Much better than my superbit version. i don't see why everyone thinks it's so bad.

My sono build

Psn Id- lvisneau or lvizzzy
Xbl- chief vizzy

post #368 of 2891 Old 01-03-2007, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger

Guys,
I have NOT experienced this problem. It stays set to whatever I choose. Originally it was the Y-P-B (or whatever?) default. Once 16-235 was selected, it has never reverted. I tried 0-255 briefly, then changed back to 16-235, and it remains set to that everytime machine is powered off/on. I have let it stay off for 4 or 5 days at a time & whenever I turn power on (and go check settings), it is still at 16-235, so I dunno why YOUR particular machine won't KEEP settings? A mystery to me. Ty-K
post #369 of 2891 Old 01-03-2007, 11:04 AM

Quote:

Damn! I was hoping that I was the only one with this problem. The player puts out great SD PQ over 480i/HDMI. To restart disks I hit stop and play a few times. That seems to work although in Jedi it started up again in fast forward! I plan to play a series of DVDs without actually watching closely to see if this continues. If it does, the unit goes back to BB to exchange for another Sony. Hopefully the 30 day return policy will apply to the replacement. If that is defective also, user feedback on the Pioneer should be available. If the Pioneer has the same problem, I'll probably end up with the Panny and NO 480i/HDMI!!

Other Readers: I find it a bit unusual that other owners have not responded yea or nay. Usually people chime in when they have no problems. Thanks

I HOPE I HAVE REGISTERED PROPERLY AND THAT MY MESSAGE REACHES YOU. YOU ARE NOT ALONE. MY UNIT IS ALSO FREEZING, APPARENTLY RANDOMLY. I HAVE TO RESTART THE UNIT, GO BACK TO THE SCENE I WAS WATCHING AND THEN ALL IS FINE. I HAVE SENT MINE BACK TO VANN'S FOR REPLACEMENT BUT HAVING READ THAT SEVERAL OTHERS ARE HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM IT APPEARS THAT THE SITUATION MAY BE MORE SEVERE.
post #370 of 2891 Old 01-03-2007, 11:27 AM

Are you typing next to a jet plane or something my ear is still ringing.
post #371 of 2891 Old 01-03-2007, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep. Welcome to the forum - and please take your CAPS LOCK OFF.
post #372 of 2891 Old 01-03-2007, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine View Post

Yep. Welcome to the forum - and please take your CAPS LOCK OFF.

SURE, I am new at this and now that I have spent the last hour reading the entire series of messages, I realize that some unknown number of BDP-S1 machines have serious intermittent freezing problems, especially when playing standard DVD movies. My machine's serial number was 8007709 and it has now gone back to Vann's for a replacement. I will give this one more try, but I am extremely concerned. I am truly grateful to have found this web site. I wish I had discovered it before I had purchased my first machine. By the way, I had to Google "BDP-S1 + freezing" to find all of you.

Next questions. Is the Pioneer unit reliable? Has Sony paid attention to the freezing problem? If not, I'm calling Vann's and switching to Pioneer. Hope to hear from you all soon. Also, I am certainly telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth about my experience with my BDP-S1. Sony has some serious quality control issues.
post #373 of 2891 Old 01-03-2007, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerS View Post

Next questions. Is the Pioneer unit reliable? Has Sony paid attention to the freezing problem? If not, I'm calling Vann's and switching to Pioneer.

Dude,
It is MY understanding, after having read many posts here, that the Pioneer is almost a clone of the Sony...and altho' I have not yet experienced ANY probs with the Sony...my recommendation --if you are set on switching--is to switch to the Panasonic...which is NOT a clone of the Sony/Pioneer. But it is slightly more expensive. If I were switching, that's what I would personally switch to--having read the forum about it. But, to each his own. Good luck whichever way you go!
Ty-K
post #374 of 2891 Old 01-03-2007, 01:30 PM

Quote:

Next questions. Is the Pioneer unit reliable? Has Sony paid attention to the freezing problem? If not, I'm calling Vann's and switching to Pioneer. Hope to hear from you all soon. Also, I am certainly telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth about my experience with my BDP-S1. Sony has some serious quality control issues.

It seems that the Sony has what amounts to a PC running Linux inside. This stuff is really overly complex for a video player. The more complex it is, the more pitfalls there are... This new fashion of consumer electronics companies reducing time to market by embedding what amounts to a general-purpose computer running Linux will become a big headache until they figure out how to get it done right, or until they give up on this approach.

As an engineer, I can tell you that based on my experience with this unit, I wouldn't call it ready for general availability to consumers. I haven't spent much time with the unit, and I already discovered a bunch of kinks and annoyances. The only explanation I can think of is that they rushed it out. I think they're learning too much from some of our companies here in the US...
post #375 of 2891 Old 01-03-2007, 02:29 PM

Quote:

It seems that the Sony has what amounts to a PC running Linux inside. This stuff is really overly complex for a video player. The more complex it is, the more pitfalls there are... This new fashion of consumer electronics companies reducing time to market by embedding what amounts to a general-purpose computer running Linux will become a big headache until they figure out how to get it done right, or until they give up on this approach.

I think you may be confusing the BDP-S1 with the original Toshiba HD-DVD player (*A1 series), which really was a PC (Intel chip and all) with Linux inside. IIRC, the Sony is a SoC design from Sigma (?) that's oddly similar to the Pioneer....

Quote:

As an engineer, I can tell you that based on my experience with this unit, I wouldn't call it ready for general availability to consumers. I haven't spent much time with the unit, and I already discovered a bunch of kinks and annoyances. The only explanation I can think of is that they rushed it out. I think they're learning too much from some of our companies here in the US...

I certainly don't disagree with your assessment -- it is a bit unpolished around the edges, though -- again -- not as bad as the initial release of the Toshiba HD-DVD player with 1.0 firmware (which wouldn't even scale to 720p properly). Still, in many respects it should be better.

Now what really irks me is the BD-J issue with Descent not even playing. That's clearly something they should have put a ribbon on before they shipped the player...no excuses.

However, all that being said, I still like it. The 720p output is quite good for BDs, it isn't a half-bad (but slow) DVD player, and so far (&&) it hasn't ever locked up on me.

I'm looking forward to the firmware update. I just hope it doesn't brick my player.

-John
post #376 of 2891 Old 01-03-2007, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Williams View Post

Now what really irks me is the BD-J issue with Descent not even playing. That's clearly something they should have put a ribbon on before they shipped the player...no excuses.
-John

IIRC, wasn't it recently mentioned elsewhere (sorry, can't remember exactly where) by Chris W. from Pioneer that the problem with The Descent not playing on the Sony or Pioneer was due to an authoring error in the title rather than lack of BD-J in the player?
post #377 of 2891 Old 01-03-2007, 03:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfSalad View Post

IIRC, wasn't it recently mentioned elsewhere (sorry, can't remember exactly where) by Chris W. from Pioneer that the problem with The Descent not playing on the Sony or Pioneer was due to an authoring error in the title rather than lack of BD-J in the player?

Yes. It was posted in the Pioneer BDP-HD1 thread by someone who received a PM from Chris (Walkamo) stating it was due to an authoring error. He also quoted Chris as saying he was working with Lionsgate to resolve.

John
post #378 of 2891 Old 01-03-2007, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFR0317 View Post

Yes. It was posted in the Pioneer BDP-HD1 thread by someone who received a PM from Chris (Walkamo) stating it was due to an authoring error. He also quoted Chris as saying he was working with Lionsgate to resolve.

Right. Hopefully this will help to alleviate some fears that the Sony's inability to play this title will render it useless. I have to admit to being rather worried about this problem myself.
post #379 of 2891 Old 01-03-2007, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just got off of the phone with a higher level tech at Sony.

I was trying to get an answer to whether or not they knew of the 5.1 LPCM problem (5.1 LPCM being sent out 7.1 LPCM). He said that he was going to talk to someone in a different department and get back to me.

Anyway, I also asked about advanced audio updates and he replied "I wouldn't be surprised if they updated the player (with advanced audio support). They are behind Blu Ray 100% and want this player to succeed."

I then told him that lack of advanced audio was holding the player back a bit, just so he would know.

I don't know what that means, just thought the forum should hear what was said.
post #380 of 2891 Old 01-03-2007, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

SURE, I am new at this and now that I have spent the last hour reading the entire series of messages, I realize that some unknown number of BDP-S1 machines have serious intermittent freezing problems, especially when playing standard DVD movies. My machine's serial number was 8007709 and it has now gone back to Vann's for a replacement. I will give this one more try, but I am extremely concerned. I am truly grateful to have found this web site. I wish I had discovered it before I had purchased my first machine. By the way, I had to Google "BDP-S1 + freezing" to find all of you.

Freezing problem? Mine has been flawless.
post #381 of 2891 Old 01-03-2007, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa8362 View Post

Freezing problem? Mine has been flawless.

So has mine (touches wood).
post #382 of 2891 Old 01-03-2007, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TytaniumK View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger

Guys,
I have NOT experienced this problem. It stays set to whatever I choose. Originally it was the Y-P-B (or whatever?) default. Once 16-235 was selected, it has never reverted. I tried 0-255 briefly, then changed back to 16-235, and it remains set to that everytime machine is powered off/on. I have let it stay off for 4 or 5 days at a time & whenever I turn power on (and go check settings), it is still at 16-235, so I dunno why YOUR particular machine won't KEEP settings? A mystery to me. Ty-K

Maybe you got lucky. On the other hand, after turning the unit on, go into the setup menu, carefully look at how dark the sceen is, and then click on 16-235 again. Let us know if the menu sceen looks lighter after you do so. Mine stayed set at 16-235 per the menu but had actually changed to 0-255!
post #383 of 2891 Old 01-03-2007, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Read the pioneer HD1 thread. Seems that there are 8-10 people who have the unit (some since 12/20) and everyone is very happy. No freezing problems reported. Returned my S1 to BB yesterday and should get the HD1 next week (finally).
post #384 of 2891 Old 01-03-2007, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Read the pioneer HD1 thread. Seems that there are 8-10 people who have the unit (some since 12/20) and everyone is very happy. No freezing problems reported. Returned my S1 to BB yesterday and should get the HD1 next week (finally).

Why are you moving from the Sony to the Pioneer? Is it really woth the extra $500? Did you have problems with the Sony?
post #385 of 2891 Old 01-03-2007, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Well took the plunge today and bought the sony player. I have been thinking about this for a while now. Didnt buy the pioneer because of the 500 more dollars and didnt want the panny because my dlp supports 24fps. So I decided on the sony and I am very happy. Turned the entire system off (unpluged via the 5100 Power Center) and hooked it up. I got out the stop watch and timed it the first startup. It was only 25 seconds and the home screen was up. I loaded Black Hawk Down for the first movie and it started playing in 18 seconds. Very happy with the load times and the overall experience. I struggled for a long time with the format war and finally found a home. There was also a extra packet in the box that said there was a firmware coming in 2007 for the player. It looked like a supplement. It was not in with all the other packing. Maybe everyone got this but I wonder if this is new and not in all boxes. Maybe we are in luck after all for the audio. All you can do is keep your fingers crossed.
I have watched 3 movies now and not a glitch so I am very happy.

ISF Certified Calibrator
CalMan Pro
Electronics Junkie
post #386 of 2891 Old 01-03-2007, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I believe that the firmware update refers to a planned update to allow the player to playback discs created using the BD-R/RE format.
post #387 of 2891 Old 01-03-2007, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfSalad View Post

Why are you moving from the Sony to the Pioneer? Is it really woth the extra $500? Did you have problems with the Sony?

Yes. Mind appears to have had a very bad case of the freezing problem given what others have posted. Mine froze on 6 out 11 DL DVDs and 1 out 2 DL BDs. All freezes were at or after the mid point in the movie. Single layer discs, both DVD & BD never had a problem. My conclusion is that the unit I sent back had real difficulty reading the second layer of some discs.

The Pioneer, while very similar to the Sony, also underwent an extra 3-4 weeks of QC on the firmware after arriving in the US before shipment per Chris at Pioneer. User reports in the HD1 thread indicate great happiness ("only give it up over my dead body"). At Tweeter, I only paid $350 more than my 12% discount S1 price at BB. Well worth it if the HD1 is as problem free as the 4 DVD players I've had since mid 1998 have been.
post #388 of 2891 Old 01-03-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Williams View Post

I think you may be confusing the BDP-S1 with the original Toshiba HD-DVD player (*A1 series), which really was a PC (Intel chip and all) with Linux inside. IIRC, the Sony is a SoC design from Sigma (?) that's oddly similar to the Pioneer....

It may be an SoC instead of Intel CPU, but I heard that it runs Linux (this is not verified, though.) They even have some licensing information (GNU) related to that in the manual.

It's funny that this box even requires a fan...

Maybe all this is needed for running the BD-J Java stuff. Is that really useful? I haven't studied it yet.

One thing I don't understand is why they don't keep the system booted and in some sort of a low-power hibernation mode while in standby. What's the point of booting it all from scratch every time?
post #389 of 2891 Old 01-03-2007, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaM View Post

I have a question about upconverting standard dvds with the Blu-ray player. I have a Pioneer 5070, which passes 24p. When I view a standard dvd, is it possible to upconvert to 1080p or only to 1080i? I have not been able to get the tv to register 1080p as it does when playing a Blu-ray disk.

All the conventional DVDs I have watched so far with the Blu-Ray player are coming out at 1080p when the player is set at Auto, except one (can't remember which one). To correct this "problem" I set the Sony to force 1080p output and that is what I get. No complaints. I just got done watching disk-1 of the HBO miniseries Rome, and it looked great.

Official OPPO BDP-83 Early Adopter--and happy I did!
I am an SVS Subhuman.
post #390 of 2891 Old 01-03-2007, 08:23 PM

Mine won't play Descent!
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page