Sony BDP-S1 BD Player: USER REPORTS Here - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 2891 Old 01-11-2007, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How does the PQ on this unit compare to that of the Samsung BDP-1000? Has anyone done a direct comparison?

Also, is the 1080p/24 output truly unprocessed, and not converted from 1080i/60?

Thanks.

Tim Vickroy

"Besides, there's no reason we can't be civil, is there?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2891 Old 01-11-2007, 02:37 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

has anyone noticed the audio output from the stereo jacks is very low?

I have a small display with an AVC box and the audio is very low: tried all the settings (5.1 analog/coax and optical audio outputs work fine)

Well after having my player for a month I can confirm that the audio on the stereo jacks is unbelievably low. A huge disappointment IMO.

Where on the Toshiba A1 and A2 I'd have the volume on my Sony XBR LCD at 20-30 depending on the title, on the Sony the volume has to be cranked to 65-75 just to be able to hear it.

Is this the kind of thing that can be fixed with firmware? I'm guessing not....
post #453 of 2891 Old 01-11-2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post

Not hitting the panic button yet, but thought someone here might have some troubleshooting tips for me.

Had been successfully running the S1 directly to my 7 gen Panny plasma via HDMI to DVI. Added a Lexicon MC-12HD to the mix and everything was working great as well for a few days.
Last night I tried to watch a movie (I eventually tried a few HD and SD movies to insure it wasn't a disc problem) and couldn't get the TV to sync. The blue "Sony Blu-ray" screen that typically are displayed will the disc is loading didn't appear. I'd just get a flash of white noise and then nothing. Disc is playing as I get the soundtrack thru the Lex.

Naturally, I can wire it directly to the TV again to rule out the Lexicon, but I don't think that's the problem. Other HDMI sources HD sources play through the Lex to the TV w/o problems.

I'm wondering if I could have inadvertently changed a setting in the S-1 that may have caused the problem. I was screwing around with my Harmony remote to reset to for the new Lex. Of course, I couldn't get the on-screen display to review the settings.

Any troubleshooting suggestions would be appreciated.

Matt

One thing to check... as far as I can confirm, the MC-12HD does not handle 1080p, it only accepts up to 1080i. Maybe your BDP-S1 was set to 1080i initially and all was okay, but then hitting the Video button may have changed it to to output 1080p, which the Lex can't handle. Cycling to another output mode with the Video button should be tried, or else remove the Lexicon and go direct to the TV to allow you to access the menu/settings so you can set and verify the output signal.

If you want to want 1080p (if you TV supports it), then you will have to go direct with the video.

I hope you get it working.
post #454 of 2891 Old 01-11-2007, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talman View Post

Well after having my player for a month I can confirm that the audio on the stereo jacks is unbelievably low. A huge disappointment IMO.

Where on the Toshiba A1 and A2 I'd have the volume on my Sony XBR LCD at 20-30 depending on the title, on the Sony the volume has to be cranked to 65-75 just to be able to hear it.

Is this the kind of thing that can be fixed with firmware? I'm guessing not....

I'm speculating that the main channels (L, C, R, SL, SR) are reduced by 10 dB so that the LFE/.1 is mixed in at the correct level.

In addition to this, I would suspect a further attenuation of 5 or 10dB, so that the sum of all 6/7/8 channels downmixed to just 2, doesn't overdrive the receiver's inputs.

Of course there may be another issue- but I would guess this to be at least partially responsible.
post #455 of 2891 Old 01-11-2007, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am in the last few days of my return period so I have really been trying to decide whether to keep the player or not. Watched Ant Bully tonight, which looked gorgeous. The bad news is that it froze once and refroze even after I tried to clean off the disc. This is my second freeze out of a combination of 15 BD and standard dvds, which is definitely annoying. Despite the slow loan and lousy remote responsiveness, I am leaning towards keeping it. It is replacing one of the original Sony S7000s, which is still going strong years later and will now be relegated to CD playback. While I have not been as overwhelmed with PQ as I thought I would be, I think it because my expectations were too high. I was really expecting the PQ to be similar to Discovery HD and, as has been discussed upthread, it is not quite that good. However, it is better than most broadcast HD movies and better than standard dvd. On some discs, especially those with DTS, the sound quality is excellent.
post #456 of 2891 Old 01-11-2007, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phansson View Post

Bruceko,

Something sounds out of sync. I am not trying to say you don't know what you are doing, but you should have seen a noticeable improvement immediately over standard DVD. There is something definitely wrong with your setup or your connections.

What movies did you watch? How did you have the Sony connected to your TV? Did you setup the Blu Ray player properly?

Thanks for your concern but nothing was wrong.
I was feeding from the the Sony Bluray via hdmi directly into the Pioneer 1540 at 1080p/24
For standard dvd I was using my Sony Dvp-9000s direct to the Pioneer via component at 480p
I also ran the Dvp-9000s through an Anthem d2 for comparison at 1080i or 480p if the movie enfored Macrovision
I used 3 movies
The provided 5th Element no picture difference other than being able to see dust spots on the Bluray transfer.
Blackhawk Down and Kingdom of Heaven
I spent most of my time using Kingdom to compare.
It was slightly better than the standard dvd. A little more depth and slightly different color but the differences were very subtle.
Like i said before maybe a year from now I will look at it again when the bugs are worked out and prices come down
post #457 of 2891 Old 01-12-2007, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceko View Post

Thanks for your concern but nothing was wrong.
I was feeding from the the Sony Bluray via hdmi directly into the Pioneer 1540 at 1080p/24
For standard dvd I was using my Sony Dvp-9000s direct to the Pioneer via component at 480p
I also ran the Dvp-9000s through an Anthem d2 for comparison at 1080i or 480p if the movie enfored Macrovision
I used 3 movies
The provided 5th Element no picture difference other than being able to see dust spots on the Bluray transfer.
Blackhawk Down and Kingdom of Heaven
I spent most of my time using Kingdom to compare.
It was slightly better than the standard dvd. A little more depth and slightly different color but the differences were very subtle.
Like i said before maybe a year from now I will look at it again when the bugs are worked out and prices come down

If the difference is that insignificant, I would say you have a bad player. I remember someone else posting a similar problem with the S1. He exchanged it for a different unit and was happy with the PQ of the new unit. You might want to try this before giving up. My S1 had great PQ (both HD and SD) on a 65" Panny 600U. I took mine back and am waiting on a Pioneer HD1. My S1 froze on ~ 50% of the DL discs played.
post #458 of 2891 Old 01-12-2007, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

I am sorry that you didn't see a difference. I am not going to say it is night and day. Of course I am getting used to a 1080 input on my projector and over time the results are not as noticeable. I guess that the size of the screen can make a difference. I have a 106" front projection and you can really nitpick a picture that size.

I notice a lot more detail in The Fifth Element compared to the SD DVD. Of course I notice all of the lint and dirt on the print also.

Were you not completely blown away by the sound though? That is where I see the biggest difference between SD and HD formats.
post #459 of 2891 Old 01-12-2007, 08:23 AM

Just updated my player.

Took about 10mins.

No problem at all. I can play Descent now.

*Tray will open & close during updates, Never take it out until the player is done updating & has already powered off.
post #460 of 2891 Old 01-12-2007, 08:26 AM

here's the link to the update file:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...=2362&os_id=99
post #461 of 2891 Old 01-12-2007, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by videophiles09 View Post

Just updated my player.

Took about 10mins.

*Tray will open & close during updates, Never take it out until the player is done updating & has already powered off.

Were you mailed a disk or was it a download?
post #462 of 2891 Old 01-12-2007, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeewing View Post

Were you mailed a disk or was it a download?

I just downloaded it from here http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...=2362&os_id=99

I burned the iso file onto DVD+R using DVDDecrypter (Nero kept asking for a CD instead!)
post #463 of 2891 Old 01-12-2007, 08:49 AM

Argh! Why couldn't they just post the .ISO file instead of a self-extractor? They're not making many new fans among us Mac users.

I got the file to extract via Parallels, then dropped it back on the Mac side and burned it to a DVD-R via Toast, so hopefully that'll work. I'll let y'all know after I give it a whirl.

-John
post #464 of 2891 Old 01-12-2007, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Williams View Post

Argh! Why couldn't they just post the .ISO file instead of a self-extractor? They're not making many new fans among us Mac users.

I got the file to extract via Parallels, then dropped it back on the Mac side and burned it to a DVD-R via Toast, so hopefully that'll work. I'll let y'all know after I give it a whirl.

-John

You mean YOU DO NOT HAVE Virtual PC on your MAC?
post #465 of 2891 Old 01-12-2007, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

You mean YOU DO NOT HAVE Virtual PC on your MAC?

Intel iMac, so I have Parallels (I have VPC on my G4 PB17). But it still a pain when a naked .iso file would serve both sets of users.

-John
post #466 of 2891 Old 01-12-2007, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:

Intel iMac, so I have Parallels (I have VPC on my G4 PB17). But it still a pain when a naked .iso file would serve both sets of users.

-John

Oh - I SEE - You are Technologically way AHEAD of my MAC Technology.
post #467 of 2891 Old 01-12-2007, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Burned the disc, will install tonight. Thanks for the heads up!
post #468 of 2891 Old 01-12-2007, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videophiles09 View Post

Just updated my player.

Took about 10mins.

Did you notice any other improvements after the update?
post #469 of 2891 Old 01-12-2007, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaM View Post

Did you notice any other improvements after the update?

I can play Descent now.

System menu seems a bit quicker.
post #470 of 2891 Old 01-12-2007, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Update worked great, it does seem to be faster now.

I recommend you use IMGBURN to burn the DVD, www.imgburn.com
post #471 of 2891 Old 01-12-2007, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I used Creator Classic from Roxio 7 to burn the DVD with no problem. I'll do the player update tonight.
post #472 of 2891 Old 01-12-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dllewel View Post

One thing to check... as far as I can confirm, the MC-12HD does not handle 1080p, it only accepts up to 1080i. Maybe your BDP-S1 was set to 1080i initially and all was okay, but then hitting the Video button may have changed it to to output 1080p, which the Lex can't handle. Cycling to another output mode with the Video button should be tried, or else remove the Lexicon and go direct to the TV to allow you to access the menu/settings so you can set and verify the output signal.

If you want to want 1080p (if you TV supports it), then you will have to go direct with the video.

I hope you get it working.

Thanks to you and others for taking the time to suggest a fix. You are correct that the MC-12 HD isn't supposed to pass 1080P yet, though some have had success doing so. You are also correct that I was passing or though I was passing 1080i.

Anyway, an electronic hiccup of some sort that solved itself. Fired it up last night without any changes and it worked fine. I have no explanation, but wonder if the order that things are turned on might have mattered. I noticed that while playing the disk and listening to the audio and turning the TV off and on would temporarily stop the audio. Assume it stems from a handshake process throughout the chain before data starts to get passed again.
post #473 of 2891 Old 01-12-2007, 01:06 PM

Quote:

-John

Think I might be able to get it into the proper format on my PC and burn it to a CD then take it home to my Mac and burn it onto a DVD? If I can get the 40MB iso file on to a DVD one way or the other is that all that matters?

Found this on line:

An ISO 9660 file system is a standard CD-ROM file system that allows you to read the same CD-ROM whether you're on a PC, Mac, or other major computer platform. The standard, issued in 1988, was written by an industry group named High Sierra. Almost all computers with CD-ROM drives can read files from an ISO 9660 file system.
post #474 of 2891 Old 01-12-2007, 02:06 PM

well so far so good update took about 10 minutes it printed DL OK then opened tray and powered off. took disc out powered it on the tray closed and it went into that 90 sec setup thing but once that was done it seemed to be bit faster on power on and menus seem to be bit faster as well. I guess the next update will add BD-R and -RE as this one seems to be mostly j-BD stuff.

Electrical Engineer
member of:
IEEE
American Legion
Sons of the American Legion
VFW
post #475 of 2891 Old 01-12-2007, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwebb View Post

well so far so good update took about 10 minutes it printed DL OK then opened tray and powered off. took disc out powered it on the tray closed and it went into that 90 sec setup thing but once that was done it seemed to be bit faster on power on and menus seem to be bit faster as well. I guess the next update will add BD-R and -RE as this one seems to be mostly j-BD stuff.

Where'd ya' get this update, amigo? Is it available online or does it get mailed to owners of the unit--automatically? Clue me in, please.
Thanks,
Ty-K
post #476 of 2891 Old 01-12-2007, 04:22 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TytaniumK View Post

Where'd ya' get this update, amigo? Is it available online or does it get mailed to owners of the unit--automatically? Clue me in, please.
Thanks,
Ty-K

Check out this thread:

Sony BDP-S1 Firmware Update Available
post #477 of 2891 Old 01-12-2007, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdodolak View Post

Check out this thread:

Sony BDP-S1 Firmware Update Available

In the immortal words of Peter Boyle, HOLY CRAP!!!
post #478 of 2891 Old 01-12-2007, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
TytaniumK,

If you get a chance before you update your firmware... Would you see what version you already have? There's a procedure for that in the instructions for the update. I'm curious if yours is the same as mine. My unit shows firmware version 1.06.

I was on the phone with Sony today concerning the HDMI colorspace settings (changing blacklevel issue). After running through some reset procedures, they suggested that I do the firmware update, as that may resolve the issue. I'll most likely be waiting for the disc in the mail to do the update myself.

If anyone else having the HDMI problem is doing the update, I'd like to hear if the update resolves the issue for you.
post #479 of 2891 Old 01-12-2007, 05:50 PM

Mine was also 1.06
post #480 of 2891 Old 01-12-2007, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

I got something in the mail from Best Buy today, which allows for no interest until 2010 on home theater items priced at $999 and above. I'm thinking about picking up the Sony Blu-Ray player, because it'd work out to about 30 bucks a month. Would this be a decent purchase? Thanks.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page