Sony BDP-S1 BD Player: USER REPORTS Here - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 2891 Old 01-20-2007, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Went to Best Buy tonight and got a deal. They had the S1 for $899 but I had a 12% off coupon. That brought it down to $791. I left and forgot about my 2 free BD discs they are offering with the purchase. Went to the CS desk ad brought it up. he told me to go pick out 2 discs. They had nothing I wanted (low stock) so I got two of the $35 discs (employee of the month and devil/prada) thinking I would exchange them in a week or two.

The guy then said he would get me the two discs by doing a price match on the S1 to $716 or so (the cost of what I paid after 12% off minus the two discs at $35 each + tax) - he then handed me $75 and some change in cash even though I paid for the S1 with me debit card. I then gave it back to him for the 2 discs.

Later I realized he gave me a cash reciept for the two movies. I had my original reciept for the S1 showing I paid $791, and a cahs reciept for the two movies at $75 and osme change. I went to best buy and got a refund in cash on the two BD discs and that brought my total for the S1 at about $716, new in box from best buy.

Thought it was a deal for buying local retail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2891 Old 01-20-2007, 11:48 PM

steve. i bought it at best buy today too. i used a 12% coupon, but it was 999 at my store. where do you live? also, i asked about the free movies, and they said nothing of the kind. is this in an ad? thanks
post #543 of 2891 Old 01-21-2007, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvmyprixgt View Post

steve. i bought it at best buy today too. i used a 12% coupon, but it was 999 at my store. where do you live? also, i asked about the free movies, and they said nothing of the kind. is this in an ad? thanks

BB currently have a 10% off DVD players sale with the BDPS1 temporarily priced at $899 but they usually will NOT let you use the 12% off coupon as well.
post #544 of 2891 Old 01-21-2007, 03:01 PM

i used my 12% and worked fine, but the idiot associates said there wasnt a deal going on with free movies. there was, so i went in today and got them
post #545 of 2891 Old 01-21-2007, 10:06 PM
web
Advanced Member

Quote:

i used my 12% and worked fine, but the idiot associates said there wasnt a deal going on with free movies. there was, so i went in today and got them

Where did you see the free movies deal advertised? I checked at the San Carlos (CA) BB and they didn't seem to know about it. Also, how long will it be offered?

web
post #546 of 2891 Old 01-22-2007, 12:11 PM

Sorry i didnt clarify. this was last weeks ad that ended 1/20. i bought my player on 1/20, and didnt look at the ad, but ive seen this kind of deal before so i asked some associates about it. both of them said they had nothing like that goign on.(of course they actually did) plus they had buy 1 get 1 free on 7 different titles. i bought 2 at full price. i went in yesterday and got pissed, so they gave me 2 free ones.
post #547 of 2891 Old 01-22-2007, 12:14 PM

Im having trouble with my surround sound iwth thie BD player. i have it hooked up to my old dvd player(HT in a box) with there input. it worked fine, but i wanted my 360 hooked up to it too. I got some Y connectors, and at first it worked, at least i think lol. but for some reason, the BD player sound only works when the 360 is unplugged from the Y connector. the 360 works fine either way. has anyone had a problem with this? thanks!
post #548 of 2891 Old 01-22-2007, 06:33 PM

I've had mine for about 3 weeks now. I've only watched 3 movies and it's locked up twice. Completely non-responsive. I had to turn it off and restart. Nothing to do with surges, etc since it was plugged into a PS Audio P500 which was operating at less than half capacity.

I kind of expect this for first generation. I'm still gonna keep it.
post #549 of 2891 Old 01-23-2007, 04:22 AM

anyone use a universal remote with this yet? i was thinking about getting the harmony universal remote that works with the 360 cause i have hd dvd add on, just wondering if it will work with any universal remote still, thanks
post #550 of 2891 Old 01-23-2007, 05:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

anyone use a universal remote with this yet? i was thinking about getting the harmony universal remote that works with the 360 cause i have hd dvd add on, just wondering if it will work with any universal remote still, thanks

this works fine with my pronto 6000. but pretty much anything does.

My sono build

Psn Id- lvisneau or lvizzzy
Xbl- chief vizzy

post #551 of 2891 Old 01-23-2007, 08:36 AM
JKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsens View Post

I've had mine for about 3 weeks now. I've only watched 3 movies and it's locked up twice. .

After freeze, were you able to "reboot" and play through these movies? I had freeze in BD vers. of Lake Front and after firmware upgrade and careful cleaning of seemingly clean and undamaged disc, still had freeze at very same place in LF -- could never complete the movie? I'm wondering if the disc defective vs. BD player problem?
post #552 of 2891 Old 01-23-2007, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Works just fime with my Harmony 520.
post #553 of 2891 Old 01-23-2007, 10:38 PM

I've had my Sony XBR2 professionally calibrated and wondered whether there are any video calibrations listed for the Sony BDP-S1. Stimpy 3 said it needed to be done for every disc separately? The standard setting is a good place to start but setting the white and black levels are a bit tricky for a novice. Suggestions?
post #554 of 2891 Old 01-24-2007, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 103
regs4

I don't agree that any calibration needs to be done for each individual disc. I have an XBR950, and I suspect the XBR2 is similar.

First, do you use an HDMI connection for the BDP-S1?

Did the calibrator specifically calibrate this input?

If both answers are yes, you're all set. I've found that all digital video connections meet the same standards, and once the specific digital input is calibrated correctly, it's correct for all devices connected to that input. In addition, any other digital input, whether it be HDMI, DVI, or iLink (Firewire) can be properly calibrated by matching all service menu values, and user menu values to that used for the calibrated input.

One note of caution.... If you notice that Blu-ray discs don't look quite right, you may have the problem of the video setting for HDMI ouput on the BDP-S1 reverting to an ouput setting designed for using it with an RGB input each time the unit is turned off. This is evidenced by slight oversaturation of colors, and black level being a bit off.

The easiest way to check this is to turn the unit off, then back on. Then go to Video Setup in the main menu. Select "YCbCr / RGBPC (HDMI)". Then find "Y, Cb, Cr" which should be the correct setting if you're using HDMI-HDMI for the connection to your XBR2. "Y, Cb, Cr" will show as already selected if you selected it previously, but select it again anyway. If the screen goes momentarily black when you make this selection, then your BDP-S1 has the problem, but the output mode (and picture quality) will now be correct until you again turn off the BDP-S1. If the unit has this problem, you must repeat this procedure every time the unit is turned on. Firmware version 1.50 has not corrected this problem for me.
post #555 of 2891 Old 01-24-2007, 09:55 AM

I hadn't checked out this thread since I bought my player and was suprised to see positive comments about start up time. I timed mine last night, it took 15 seconds from the time I hit power on the remote until it said "Power On" on, another 15 seconds until my monitor first got a signal and another 10-15 seconds until the blue-ray no-disk screen came up. Is 40-45 seconds normal? It's better than the first boot up, but has low WAF.

My box also sees lockups, at the rate of about 1 in 20 hours of play. It doesn't seem to track to any particular DVD; a movie that hangs once, will play fine another time. It's done it on old media and new.

I have PC issues at the moment and can't make the upgrade DVD so I'm waiting on one from Sony. Does the upgrade help the start time and/or the lockups? If not I may just not bother to wait and send it back for service now.

FWIW, 8003xxx serial number unit with 1.06 software.

Dave R.
post #556 of 2891 Old 01-24-2007, 01:54 PM

I just got off the phone with sony about lock up. This is my 2nd player the 1st had lock ups almost every sd disk, they told me to try another player. So i waited a month and bought another one, this player is not as bad but does lock up. So I called sony they ask me to do the software update. It has played all bluray movies with no lockups at all, but with sd playback (drowell) is right its like it has a mind of its own and locks up when it feel like it. I called again and spoke to a gentleman named Luke he said this they have not heard of any lockups so I explained what was going on and asked me to mail my disk in ( new saw3 ) so I said I would mail it to him to help resolve the freeze up condition. I hope this will help them.So others call in I know its a pain (1 hour wait time) but I feel this is a good player and that can be made great. Thanks!
post #557 of 2891 Old 01-24-2007, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T100 View Post

I just got off the phone with sony about lock up. This is my 2nd player the 1st had lock ups almost every sd disk, they told me to try another player. So i waited a month and bought another one, this player is not as bad but does lock up. So I called sony they ask me to do the software update. It has played all bluray movies with no lockups at all, but with sd playback (drowell) is right its like it has a mind of its own and locks up when it feel like it. I called again and spoke to a gentleman named Luke he said this they have not heard of any lockups so I explained what was going on and asked me to mail my disk in ( new saw3 ) so I said I would mail it to him to help resolve the freeze up condition. I hope this will help them.So others call in I know its a pain (1 hour wait time) but I feel this a good player and that can be made great. Thanks!

Mine is already great. No glitches, freezes, lockups in around 100 hours use. I use component for video, currently use HDMI for audio, and have used optical and analog outputs for audio previously. Never a single problem. I currently use a 3 week old Onkyo TX-SR804 HDMI receiver (new model). I haven't done the software update and have no plans to do it since I don't currently have a need for the feature update.
post #558 of 2891 Old 01-24-2007, 02:16 PM

T100, can you get a hang to repeat? I haven't been able to.

Out of curiosity what is your boot time?
post #559 of 2891 Old 01-24-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowell View Post

T100, can you get a hang to repeat? I haven't been able to.

Out of curiosity what is your boot time?

To answer, as of yet no I have tryed several times. Thats why i think its a player thing. The movies where panic room (had for a while),saw3 (new),pirates of carrabien2, miami vice but have played many others with no freeze.Boot time is slow I agree, but what bothers me more is remote response time once you press a button you better wait or else it seems like it gets confused. I can live with slooo boot time but slooo button time requires patience or else.I use hdmi on a sony kds-r60xbr2
post #560 of 2891 Old 01-24-2007, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

To answer, as of yet no I have tryed several times. Thats why i think its a player thing. The movies where panic room (had for a while),saw3 (new),pirates of carrabien2, miami vice but have played many others with no freeze.Boot time is slow I agree, but what bothers me more is remote response time once you press a button you better wait or else it seems like it gets confused. I can live with slooo boot time but slooo button time requires patience or else.I use hdmi on a sony kds-r60xbr2

I have had 2 freezes - both on Blu-ray rental discs - and thankfully no lockups so far. Boot time is slow - and it seems to take forever to get the drawer to open/close. Menu presses are slow, but I can live with that.
post #561 of 2891 Old 01-25-2007, 01:52 AM

I have about 20 bluray discs and have not had one stop in the middle of play its all been on sd stuff. Last night when watching saw3 (the movie I'm sending to sony)towards the end it went black and had to switch inputs to regain picture.Thats the first time its done this ,so off I go to send the movie hope it helps, but i still feel its a player issue or software,or hdmi. I can handle boot time as a learning experience but fix my in play picture stopping or blackout.
post #562 of 2891 Old 01-25-2007, 11:07 AM

Can some of you new BDP-S1 owners post your serial numbers so I can get an idea of what to look for when I shop. Either or PM me.

Thanks!
post #563 of 2891 Old 01-25-2007, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have about 20 bluray discs and have not had one stop in the middle of play its all been on sd stuff. Last night when watching saw3 (the movie I'm sending to sony)towards the end it went black and had to switch inputs to regain picture.Thats the first time its done this ,so off I go to send the movie hope it helps, but i still feel its a player issue or software,or hdmi. I can handle boot time as a learning experience but fix my in play picture stopping or blackout.

I don't know about your other instances of trouble, but that sounds like what I've read happens with an HDMI handshake problem, which implies that your player might not be the issue in that instance.
post #564 of 2891 Old 01-25-2007, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Hello, for all sony owners who have a DVD burner on a PC, can you download this ISO image (zipped to 500kb), unzip to iso image and then burn the image to a DVD/RW? It's a BDMV on a DVD/RW format and I'm trying to determine how compatible this file structure is with various players. So far it's not very consistent across firmware revisions.

http://www.mediamax.com/neo1965/Links/D5EAE33E7D

It's a smpte color bar with pluge on 709 color space.

I'm curious if this works and on which firmware version.

TIA.
post #565 of 2891 Old 01-25-2007, 06:21 PM

I have BDP-S1 since december and now I have PS3 also.

My first impressions shows that BDP-S1 have a better PQ than PS3.

The difference is not big, but with PS3 I see more noise. The image is more clean with BDP-S1.

I use both with Sanyo Z3 LCD projector (HDMI) (106")
post #566 of 2891 Old 01-25-2007, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post

regs4

One note of caution.... If you notice that Blu-ray discs don't look quite right, you may have the problem of the video setting for HDMI ouput on the BDP-S1 reverting to an ouput setting designed for using it with an RGB input each time the unit is turned off. This is evidenced by slight oversaturation of colors, and black level being a bit off.

The easiest way to check this is to turn the unit off, then back on. Then go to Video Setup in the main menu. Select "YCbCr / RGBPC (HDMI)". Then find "Y, Cb, Cr" which should be the correct setting if you're using HDMI-HDMI for the connection to your XBR2. "Y, Cb, Cr" will show as already selected if you selected it previously, but select it again anyway. If the screen goes momentarily black when you make this selection, then your BDP-S1 has the problem, but the output mode (and picture quality) will now be correct until you again turn off the BDP-S1.

Interesting. I found that the colors on my 1080p set were washed out at the default YCbCr setting (HDMI to HDMI). I changed the setting to RGB 0-256 and the colors are much more vivid and detailed. The Ant Bully was so 3D that I felt I could reach into the picture.

Some experimentation is in order...

BTW, I have watched approx 6-Blu Ray disks and 10-SD disks without a problem.

Official OPPO BDP-83 Early Adopter--and happy I did!
I am an SVS Subhuman.
post #567 of 2891 Old 01-25-2007, 10:07 PM

Thats very interesting I to have HDTV with HDMI to HDMI I been using it set to ycbcr but maybe i will try RGB 0-256 and see if makes a difference.

Electrical Engineer
member of:
IEEE
American Legion
Sons of the American Legion
VFW
post #568 of 2891 Old 01-25-2007, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwebb View Post

Thats very interesting I to have HDTV with HDMI to HDMI I been using it set to ycbcr but maybe i will try RGB 0-256 and see if makes a difference.

RGB 0-256 is intended for a device with an RGB input. You can acheive very similar results by turning down the brightness about 3 stops and turning up the color about 3. In other words, RGB 0-256 is not the setting to be used if your goal is an accurate picture reproduction. If you are simply experimenting to see what gives you a more colorful and flashy picture without regards for accurate reproduction, then this setting is one of many many things you can try.
post #569 of 2891 Old 01-26-2007, 12:09 AM

I dont know you could be right, but with it set to RGB 0-256 the reds looks better to me in YCBCR the reds look a little more orange to me.

Electrical Engineer
member of:
IEEE
American Legion
Sons of the American Legion
VFW
post #570 of 2891 Old 01-26-2007, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom4420 View Post

Darksets, I did go through the initial setup. What was funny is that after going through the initial setup, it wouldn't play, and that's when I had to unplug it. After I plugged it in, it kept all of my settings, and I got it to play correctly. After turning it back off and then back on later the same night, it made me go through the setup again.

I think you might be right, I probably got a bad unit.

My unit also respond very slow. I thought that's normal. Darksets, what's your typical start-up time? My unit is so slow, I sometime think I had forgotten to turn it on. Thanks.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page