Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CETA View Post

Hi,

I was just going to post on this. Last night was not a good one for this player. I have had some minor freezes but nothing too major yet.

I played several DVD Concerts and they all froze-up (pause) for a few seconds and then would jump to the next track. I had one Concert where it skipped the track, went to the next track and then froze-up and then jumped to the main menu.

It was very frustrating. I then popped-in Black Hawk which I haven't seen in BD yet and it skipped ahead and froze.

Got frustrated and turned it off and went to bed.

I am still under the 30 day return policy. I really want a BD player but I am not sure if I can handle these issues right now. I need to decide if I should try another Sony or try another Brand or wait for GEN II.

I have no issue with slow start-up etc but the freezing, skip ahead ect is not acceptable.

One last thing to point out is I have not done the firmware update. I do not know if it will correct all of these issues..

-Rick

Rick - I have not experienced anything that significant. I have had 2 freezes on rental discs and the unit refused to play one disc, which I understand is a known problem. I have not yet done the firmware update either but I don't think it does anything for freezes and skips. I would definitely return the unit. You might try another new Sony and see if it does the same thing. If not, great. If it does, you can try one of the other brands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2891 Old 02-11-2007, 01:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have a problem playing T2 on blu ray?

i think im gonna exchange my player. mine has the skipping problem. During terminator 2, i cant even get to the menu and the first time i watched it i couldnt watch the last 15 minutes cause it kept skipping. has anyone else has a big problem like this and returned it?

update: well i just played T2 again and20 mins ago when it wouldnt go to the menu, now it would fine. and it played all the parts it wouldnt the other day. have a lot of people heard of this skipping around on discs? im still in my 30day return range, and i dont think best buy would give me a problem. id hate to not return it and then get screwed. what do you guys think?
post #633 of 2891 Old 02-11-2007, 03:54 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Got mine a couple of weeks ago. Knight's Tale played fine, but Pear Harbor kept freezing and skipping. Will the firmware update help? Have not received it yet.
post #634 of 2891 Old 02-11-2007, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 280
I have been having good luck with my BPD-S1

had troubles with one disc from Netflix (Hitchikers...) which kept freezing: bought my own copy of it from Amazon and it plays fine

I installed the update when it first got posted (and just received the update disc from Sony yesterday)

I like this player: this is the only BR player I have tried: I also have the Toshiba XA2 which I love

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
post #635 of 2891 Old 02-11-2007, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T100 View Post

I just got off the phone with sony about lock up. This is my 2nd player the 1st had lock ups almost every sd disk, they told me to try another player. So i waited a month and bought another one, this player is not as bad but does lock up. So I called sony they ask me to do the software update. It has played all bluray movies with no lockups at all, but with sd playback (drowell) is right its like it has a mind of its own and locks up when it feel like it. I called again and spoke to a gentleman named Luke he said this they have not heard of any lockups so I explained what was going on and asked me to mail my disk in ( new saw3 ) so I said I would mail it to him to help resolve the freeze up condition. I hope this will help them.So others call in I know its a pain (1 hour wait time) but I feel this is a good player and that can be made great. Thanks!

I received my disc back from sony and the disc played fine in there player. I also received a call from them saying the disc played fine and asked if i would like to send my player in. It has played all blue ray discs fine with no error, has froze up a few times on sd stuff even on the menu. this is my 2nd player and the 1st one was worst so I waited a month and bought this one. I spoke to best buy and they said they were having issues with other players also.So I will call sony monday and go from there.
post #636 of 2891 Old 02-11-2007, 09:24 AM

I was thinking of getting a new reciever since my old sony one only has dolby digital 5.1. Now here is my question. The model im looking at is a sony str-de3100 and it doesnt have any hdmi inputs, but it does have dolby digital 5.1, dolby digital ex and more, what i was wondering what signal processing do i need on a reciever to play the pcm lossless audio tracks on blu-ray and what is dolby digital plus? is that the same as dolby digital ex? Can i pass all these signals through my optical out? Thanks everyone.
post #637 of 2891 Old 02-11-2007, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Motorhead,

The optical digital connection will only handle pre-existing formats, meaning 2 channel PCM (you'll lose the other channels), Dolby Digital 5.1 and EX, and all the old DTS formats. Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby Digital HD both have old fashioned Dolby Digital embedded in them, and that's what will be output over the optical out, but it's a higher bitrate than what was previously used on DVDs so it should be better quality. The BDP-S1 is capable of decoding the new formats itself, and outputting those over the multi-channel analog outputs. Also it will output the multichannel PCM over HDMI.

More detailed information is available on Dolby.com.
post #638 of 2891 Old 02-11-2007, 06:07 PM

oh ok thanks i understand now. I wanted to get a 3200ES i guess and it has HDMI but it is only 1.2 so i figured i might bypass them and do the analog inputs. Thanks so much.
post #639 of 2891 Old 02-14-2007, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Any word of whether or not they are going to upgrade this player for DTS-HD MA or TrueHD? If Fox was using PCM, I wouldn't care but that's a lot of titles...

Thanks,
Chris
post #640 of 2891 Old 02-14-2007, 12:02 PM

Did you read the review of BDP-S1 on Secrets??

If not, look

Quote:

On the HD side, I was quite impressed with the Sony. The video was as good as I've seen from any other player at this point, and its support for 1080p24 was welcomed. Unfortunately it does not support decoding of Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master audio, but I've heard rumors that support (a downloadable software update) for at least Dolby TrueHD is in the works.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=133#SonyBDP-S1%20%20Blu-ray%20(Component)

post #641 of 2891 Old 02-14-2007, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilomms View Post

Did you read the review of BDP-S1 on Secrets??

If not, look:

I know for a FACT - any FW update WILL NOT SUPPORT DTS-HD.

TrueHD will most likely be available someday
post #642 of 2891 Old 02-14-2007, 12:20 PM

drhankz,

Is this true for Pioneer BDP-HD1 also?
post #643 of 2891 Old 02-14-2007, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

I know for a FACT - any FW update WILL NOT SUPPORT DTS-HD.

TrueHD will most likely be available someday

Is there a technical limitation for this? I guess I'm deciding between this player and the PS3. My guess is the PS3 will so I was hoping this would as I'd LOVE to send the 1080p24 off the disc to my Pioneer 5070.

I just don't understand why fox would go DTS-HD MA if no players were going to decode it....

Thanks for the info!
Chris
post #644 of 2891 Old 02-14-2007, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilomms View Post

drhankz,

Is this true for Pioneer BDP-HD1 also?

YES - SOMEDAY - TrueHD on the Pioneer BDP-HD1 but
no DTS-HD.
post #645 of 2891 Old 02-14-2007, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlotkins View Post

Is there a technical limitation for this?
I just don't understand why fox would go DTS-HD MA if no players were going to decode it....

Thanks for the info!
Chris

I have been told there is a Technical limitation.
It has to do with bandwidth.

Maybe FOX made the Blu-Ray Movies BEFORE
the player makers KNEW there was a limitation.

I was told they are TRYING to get DTS-HD to
work - but NO Promises on that one.

TrueHD is DONE and at Dolby Labs for Certification.
post #646 of 2891 Old 02-14-2007, 04:28 PM
JKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaM View Post

........I have had 2 freezes on rental discs and the unit refused to play one disc, which I understand is a known problem...

Similarly, one BR disc freeze that would never advance so as to finish the movie, and on BR "Lake House," got on-screen msg: "can't recognize disc" while front panel displayed "BD-Rom" The BDP-S1 would never play this disc. I had done firmware upgrade before these issues. This is annoying issue that seems more widespread than retailers understand.
post #647 of 2891 Old 02-14-2007, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKM View Post

Similarly, one BR disc freeze that would never advance so as to finish the movie, and on BR "Lake House," got on-screen msg: "can't recognize disc" while front panel displayed "BD-Rom" The BDP-S1 would never play this disc. I had done firmware upgrade before these issues. This is annoying issue that seems more widespread than retailers understand.

Out of curiosity, was this a rental disc?
post #648 of 2891 Old 02-14-2007, 04:59 PM

I spoke with best buy magnolia about the sd disk freeze issue and my second player will now be a third player. I now have a disk that sony sent me of 1.50 version and I will start again because I dont want to go with out a player 30bd discs later let you know how this one works out. I really like this player and dont want to give up on it yet.
post #649 of 2891 Old 02-14-2007, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

I have been told there is a Technical limitation.
It has to do with bandwidth.

Maybe FOX made the Blu-Ray Movies BEFORE
the player makers KNEW there was a limitation.

I was told they are TRYING to get DTS-HD to
work - but NO Promises on that one.

TrueHD is DONE and at Dolby Labs for Certification.

That's for the information. That's really too bad about the DTS-HD. I may have to decide about the better PQ of this unit versus the promise of DTS-HD on the PS3....

Thanks,
Chris
post #650 of 2891 Old 02-14-2007, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlotkins View Post

That's for the information. That's really too bad about the DTS-HD. I may have to decide about the better PQ of this unit versus the promise of DTS-HD on the PS3....

Thanks,
Chris

You can always wait for the NEXT GEN.

FYI - I posted a Magazine Test of BLIND AUDIO quality
between Blu-Ray with 5.1 PCM and HD DVD with TrueHD.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9776880
post #651 of 2891 Old 02-15-2007, 07:07 AM

Is anyone using a Sony 51 projector that doesn't have the HDMI fix? Is it worth using the HDMI over component? I was using HDMI for a while but it became such a hassle, and I really didn't see that big of a picture improvement. However, I'm not sure if it would make a difference with this Blu ray player
post #652 of 2891 Old 02-15-2007, 08:06 AM

The Playstation 3 does not upconvert standard DVD.
post #653 of 2891 Old 02-15-2007, 02:00 PM

i have the bdp-s1 hooked up via hdmi to a wd62825 mitsu,only 720 capable i think.how should i set the formats for watching sd discs and for blu ray discs
post #654 of 2891 Old 02-15-2007, 02:04 PM

and even though i hear a 1080p display will show off the format much better.shouldnt the wd62825 mitsu diamond series look pretty good
post #655 of 2891 Old 02-16-2007, 06:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Does this machine offer video settings ( brightness, sharpness etc ) somewhere in the menu for BD playback. If it does I cannot find it. Thx!
post #656 of 2891 Old 02-16-2007, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gouger View Post

Does this machine offer video settings ( brightness, sharpness etc ) somewhere in the menu for BD playback. If it does I cannot find it. Thx!

Yes, you need to have a disc loaded, then select system menu, then A/V settings. Select one of the memory positions to access the detailed settings.
post #657 of 2891 Old 02-16-2007, 06:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Thanks spwace.
post #658 of 2891 Old 02-17-2007, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I have had minor freeze up/skip problems with this player. I almost always find
a smudge, fingerprint or scratch on the disc. Seems that the Sony is very sensative. Which in a way is sad, cause my old junk JVC would play anything
my kid's put in it.
post #659 of 2891 Old 02-17-2007, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T100 View Post

I spoke with best buy magnolia about the sd disk freeze issue and my second player will now be a third player. I now have a disk that sony sent me of 1.50 version and I will start again because I dont want to go with out a player 30bd discs later let you know how this one works out. I really like this player and dont want to give up on it yet.

I spoke with sony yesterday and they ask me to send my unit in because best buy is out of players at this time ,but i was able to extend my return time untill they had units come in.I also got this in writing so i will wait untill some new units come in. He also said to look for 1.50 version before loading it into the new player.
post #660 of 2891 Old 02-18-2007, 01:22 AM

I have the 7205 projector and would like to know what output to set the sony at, 720P or 1080. Which one would work best with component connection?
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page