post #721 of 2891 Old 02-28-2007, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post

Is there a zoom function on this player? I was playing with one today at BB and couldn't find a way to zoom out the widescreen/letterbox image.

Don't get in an uproar.This is a legit question. I also have a few DVDs that are letterboxed and non anamorphic. A zoom setting is a good feature to bring these older DVDs a little closer to how an anamorphic DVD appears. I am definitely against altering the OAR but many older releases have not been updated and are only available in the letterboxed non-anamorphic version.

Clark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2891 Old 02-28-2007, 08:13 AM

Liked: 10
i also had this strange problem when playing the Prestige disc on my sony. It skips right by the menu page and starts playing the movie-not really a problem I guess but is strange. I haven't had any other problems with this disc though-played thru no problem last night.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #723 of 2891 Old 02-28-2007, 08:14 AM

Scherer 326
You are absolutely right . My mistake the color setting is 45. Regs4
post #724 of 2891 Old 02-28-2007, 08:19 AM

Posts: 949 REGS4, isnt Petmic's color set to 50 not 80. Was this done by mistake on your end when entering his info.

These Settings are from Petmic 10 for Sony 40" XBR2
Picture Mode: Custom
Backlight: 2
Picture: 80
Brightness: 51
Color: 45
Hue: G1
Color Temp: Warm 1
Sharpness: 25
Noise Reduction: Off
DRC Mode: Mode 1
DRC Palette: Reality(35) , Clarity(15)

Advanced Settings:

Black Corrector: Off
Advanced C.E.: Off
Gamma: Low
Clear White: Off
Live Color: Off
Color Space: Wide
Detail Enhancer: Off
Edge Enhancer: Off

Power Saving: Off
Display Area: Normal/Cable Box_ Full Pixel/HD-DVD

White Balance(Grayscale):
R-Gain: -2
G-Gain: -3
B-Gain: -15
R-Bias: -4
G-Bias: -2
B-Bias: -1

These settings are eye popping to say the least with the Comcast High Def Box but with the Blu Ray BDP-S1 lack a little red punch in the Blu Ray Unit Video standard setting. I've used the Memory Mode on Detailed Settings changing the Hue one increment to red from center and tried bumping the color up one increment. I did try using RGX(0-255) and got those reds but sacrificed true facial tone in the process. I'm strictly amatuer with a Digital Essentials disc so I'm tinkering ever so slightly. I used "5th Element" and "Italian Job: for Blu Ray disc sources.
post #725 of 2891 Old 02-28-2007, 09:30 PM

I have my HDMI cable going to the back of my XBR2 60in SXRD TV and from there I have my audio cables going to my Sony Dream System. I noticed the volume was really low compared to cable shows. What audio settings should I use?

Thank you Warner Brothers and New Line!!!
And continued thanks to the original backers of BD, Sony - Disney - Fox - Lionsgate
post #726 of 2891 Old 02-28-2007, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentalrep View Post

I have my HDMI cable going to the back of my XBR2 60in SXRD TV and from there I have my audio cables going to my Sony Dream System. I noticed the volume was really low compared to cable shows. What audio settings should I use?

What type of cable do you have have connected from your TV yo your AV receiver...digital optical?
Did you know that the XBR2, like most TVs, won't pass DD5.1 from the HDMI inputs through to the digital optical output (you only get DD5.1 from the digital optical output when you are using the TV's ATSC digital tuner).
So, all you are getting out of your TV when you have selected the HDMI input is 2.0 which your AV receiver may be applying PLII to. That may account for the differences you are experiencing in audio.
post #727 of 2891 Old 03-01-2007, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just received my BDP-S1 yesterday, and got everything hooked up and working soon after. First movie I watched all the way through was 'Crank', after reading the reviews of its excellent picture quality.

All I can say is "Wow!", the picture exceeded anything I had imagined. I am used to watching HD television, as well as upscaled SD-DVD, but the blu-ray picture blew both away.

I'm connected via HDMI>DVI to an 'older' Toshiba rptv (50hdx82). The Sony is set to 'Auto' for picture, and it was coming through at 1080i/60, the max for this set. Audio is run via coaxial digital to my Rotel RSP-1068. (5.1 analogs are occupied by my Onkyo DV-SP1000, which will stay for multi-channel SACD and DVD-Audio.) I really don't understand all the hoopla about the newer sound formats, 'cause to me Dolby Digital and DTS via the coax cable sounded fantastic on my system.

Unfortunately, I still got the copy of "The Fifth Element" inside the box and need to do the firmware upgrade today. However, I did get a little booklet that provides 7 x $10 rebate cards on blu-ray discs from the different studios--gotta like that!

So far I'm lovin' the Sony!

Brad
post #728 of 2891 Old 03-01-2007, 05:37 AM

Just got BDP-S1 along with my Pearl 2 nights ago -- agree on the WoW factor!

But being in Canada - I didn't get a copy of FE in my box? ... is this for U.S. only?
post #729 of 2891 Old 03-01-2007, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindamood View Post

Just received my BDP-S1 yesterday, and got everything hooked up and working soon after. First movie I watched all the way through was 'Crank', after reading the reviews of its excellent picture quality.

All I can say is "Wow!", the picture exceeded anything I had imagined. I am used to watching HD television, as well as upscaled SD-DVD, but the blu-ray picture blew both away.

I'm connected via HDMI>DVI to an 'older' Toshiba rptv (50hdx82). The Sony is set to 'Auto' for picture, and it was coming through at 1080i/60, the max for this set. Audio is run via coaxial digital to my Rotel RSP-1068. (5.1 analogs are occupied by my Onkyo DV-SP1000, which will stay for multi-channel SACD and DVD-Audio.) I really don't understand all the hoopla about the newer sound formats, 'cause to me Dolby Digital and DTS via the coax cable sounded fantastic on my system.

Unfortunately, I still got the copy of "The Fifth Element" inside the box and need to do the firmware upgrade today. However, I did get a little booklet that provides 7 x $10 rebate cards on blu-ray discs from the different studios--gotta like that!

This is a very nice way for you to report your experiences and impressions. You clearly detail what equipment you are connected to and the type of AV outputs you use. Neat.
post #730 of 2891 Old 03-01-2007, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Well, I learn alot from everyone else's experiences on this forum, so every now and then I like to 'give back.'

Brad
post #731 of 2891 Old 03-01-2007, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindamood View Post

have you compared the new Hi rez audio to coax, or do you just think the coax sounds better that it did before (I agree about the coax sounding better than standard DVD, but I am trying to figure out if i should use the 5.1 outs)
post #732 of 2891 Old 03-01-2007, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

I don't want to compare, 'cause I may like it better...

As I mentioned, my 5.1 analog inputs are taken, and I really don't want to invest in a switcher + cables. So, for now I'm gonna live in ignorant bliss.

If I had the choice, I would go with 5.1 analogs for sure.

Brad
post #733 of 2891 Old 03-02-2007, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am currently using an optical cable from the Sony to an HK 435 receiver and an HDMI cable from the Sony to a Pioneer 5070 (Sony set for 1080p/24). After reading this thread and others regarding the difference in sound quality when using the 5.1 analog inputs, I am interested in re-wiring and trying it out. I am a bit confused as to what the audio settings should be in the Sony in order to get the new HD sound. Can someone please help me out here?
post #734 of 2891 Old 03-02-2007, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaM View Post

I am currently using an optical cable from the Sony to an HK 435 receiver and an HDMI cable from the Sony to a Pioneer 5070 (Sony set for 1080p/24). After reading this thread and others regarding the difference in sound quality when using the 5.1 analog inputs, I am interested in re-wiring and trying it out. I am a bit confused as to what the audio settings should be in the Sony in order to get the new HD sound. Can someone please help me out here?

In the player, select 5.1 channels in the Audio Output Mode Set UP Screen. The default is 2 channels.
post #735 of 2891 Old 03-02-2007, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

So the preferred audio connections from the S1 are as follows:
1) HDMI
2) 5.1 analog
3) Digital coax/Toslink optical

In that order........

Given I don't have a HDMI compatible receiver I should go with the 5.1 analogs, is this correct?

Keith S.
post #736 of 2891 Old 03-02-2007, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john stephens View Post

In the player, select 5.1 channels in the Audio Output Mode Set UP Screen. The default is 2 channels.

For the Dolby Digital or Downmix PCM and DTS or Downmix PCM, which do I choose? The instructions say that this is for use with the Coaxial or Optical jack so does it matter which I leave it on when using the 5.1 outputs?
post #737 of 2891 Old 03-02-2007, 11:20 AM

Has anyone used the BDP-S1 with the HC5000 at 1080p/24?
If so how does the 48hz refresh look?
Did you notice a reduction in judder?
post #738 of 2891 Old 03-02-2007, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentalrep View Post

I tested the sound out with the HDMI just going into the TV and it just isn't as loud as cable. I am getting to the 80's in sound for it to be a nice sound.

Thank you Warner Brothers and New Line!!!
And continued thanks to the original backers of BD, Sony - Disney - Fox - Lionsgate
post #739 of 2891 Old 03-02-2007, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

For the Dolby Digital or Downmix PCM and DTS or Downmix PCM, which do I choose? The instructions say that this is for use with the Coaxial or Optical jack so does it matter which I leave it on when using the 5.1 outputs?

No, these won't matter for you. Just leave them as you currently have them set.
post #740 of 2891 Old 03-02-2007, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john stephens View Post

No, these won't matter for you. Just leave them as you currently have them set.

John, thanks very much. Much appreciated.
post #741 of 2891 Old 03-03-2007, 02:34 AM

Since my last post ( when I installed my sony BDP-s1 and watched Fifth Element (wasn't impressed) and T2) I have watched Superman returns and parts of MI-III. they are much more impressive.
I have noticed on the display screen that Sony displays the current transfer rate, and on the titles I watched those bars are only half used. Does that mean that because I am not seeing 1080p (tv monitor limitation), I am only getting half of the information, or are current titles not encoded at the maximum transfer rate yet?
post #742 of 2891 Old 03-03-2007, 12:34 PM

I think I'm going with the Sony!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #743 of 2891 Old 03-03-2007, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalelutz View Post

Since my last post ( when I installed my sony BDP-s1 and watched Fifth Element (wasn't impressed) and T2) I have watched Superman returns and parts of MI-III. they are much more impressive.
I have noticed on the display screen that Sony displays the current transfer rate, and on the titles I watched those bars are only half used. Does that mean that because I am not seeing 1080p (tv monitor limitation), I am only getting half of the information, or are current titles not encoded at the maximum transfer rate yet?

No, transfer rate is limited by what's on the disc. It has nothing to do with your display.
post #744 of 2891 Old 03-04-2007, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa8362 View Post

No, transfer rate is limited by what's on the disc. It has nothing to do with your display.

that is kind of my point. Is the transfer rate not at maximum because it is being downconverted by the player from 1080p to 1080i for my display, or are the transfers on the disk not yet up to the full potential of blu ray hd?
post #745 of 2891 Old 03-04-2007, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Lisa, I don't have the Sony, but am considering it. I use the analog inputs on a HK335 and Toshiba HDA1 with great success. On your HK, make sure you go into the input setup for the 6/8 channel input and adjust the lfe level to +9 (I believe that's the maximum). That way you'll get the proper lfe level and keep the player's overall level relative to all your other sound sources.
post #746 of 2891 Old 03-04-2007, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalelutz View Post

that is kind of my point. Is the transfer rate not at maximum because it is being downconverted by the player from 1080p to 1080i for my display, or are the transfers on the disk not yet up to the full potential of blu ray hd?

The transfer rate on the disc is a studio decision. Everyone else with your discs has the same transfer rate. Again, the transfer rate has nothing to do with your display.
post #747 of 2891 Old 03-04-2007, 08:36 AM

i have a bdp s1 (current firmware) and an hd-a1 (current fw)...i play regular dvd's on the hda1 because the sony will skip sections of standard dvd discs as well as frame jump without fail...i prefer the sony for hi def movies...never a problem...on the other hand, hi def movies on the hda1 are subject to occasional freezing and speed up....my projector is a pearl...anyone have similar problems? is there a fix for the frame jump problem on the bdps1? is it sound related, specifically dts...any thots or directions to posts dealing with these anomalies would be appreciated...thanks
post #748 of 2891 Old 03-04-2007, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichaelh View Post

i have a bdp s1 (current firmware) and an hd-a1 (current fw)...i play regular dvd's on the hda1 because the sony will skip sections of standard dvd discs as well as frame jump without fail...i prefer the sony for hi def movies...never a problem...on the other hand, hi def movies on the hda1 are subject to occasional freezing and speed up....my projector is a pearl...anyone have similar problems? is there a fix for the frame jump problem on the bdps1? is it sound related, specifically dts...any thots or directions to posts dealing with these anomalies would be appreciated...thanks

There is no frame jump problem with the BDPS-1. If you have a problem, you either have a defective unit, defective disc or an incompatibility in your system. How do I know this? Because mine has never exhibited a single hiccup, freeze, etc...and I've easily watched 40+ separate DVD discs in the time I've owned it.
post #749 of 2891 Old 03-05-2007, 07:57 AM

Hi,

Just picked up the Sony BDP-S1 last weekend (found an open box special at half price ).

I'm running this player through a Yamaha RX-V2700 receiver to a Mitsubishi HC5000 1080P projector.

When I select Direct mode on the blu-ray player, everything works fine as long as I'm playing a BD disc. I get 1080P/24. When I play a standard DVD on Direct mode, I get a garbled picture. Switching to Auto corrects this for the standard DVD.

Should I just leave the player on auto and forget about 1080P/24? On Auto, playing BD disc, it shows 1080P/60.

I've tried turning up-conversion in the receiver on and off. Makes no difference.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Mark

Mark

post #750 of 2891 Old 03-05-2007, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Something very strange happened just now. I re-wired the player to use the analog outputs to my receiver and popped in a rental disc of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, a disc that my player would not play when I tried it initially prior to the update. This time, a round circle of large dots formed in the middle bottom of the screen and kept moving in circular form throughout the Blu-ray commercial and even when I hit the Setup menu. I ejected the disc and put in another BD disc without turning off the player first. The circle was still there. I ejected that disc and turned the player off and then on again. The moving circle was gone. Has anyone else experienced this???
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page